Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

Read this http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/ … libyan-war

It hasn't made sense to me ever since we began the nfz. How can congress stand by and watch one of their most important roles get subverted? Paul and Kucinich are the only ones who seem to care.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5382|Cleveland, Ohio
paul or trump need to be president
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6556|'Murka

There was ample time and opportunity for the administration to consult the UN, NATO and the Arab League before going to war, but not the U.S. Congress.
Why not use some of those frozen Libyan assets to pay for this?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

FEOS wrote:

There was ample time and opportunity for the administration to consult the UN, NATO and the Arab League before going to war, but not the U.S. Congress.
Oh.. the blood for oil crowd would just love that.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
+1,182|6556|'Murka

Kmar wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Oh.. the blood for oil crowd would just love that.
I know...but it would be the rebels paying their own way, essentially.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
11 Bravo
Banned
or maybe we shouldnt be in another vietnam
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

Actually, the way we are getting in to this conflict more closely resembles the korean war... but yea, either way
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
+1,182|6556|'Murka

11 Bravo wrote:

But we're in it now, so that argument's kind of moot at this point. And the analogy's poor.

This is more akin to Bosnia than either Korea or Vietnam.
― Albert Einstein

11 Bravo
Banned

FEOS wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

But we're in it now, so that argument's kind of moot at this point. And the analogy's poor.

This is more akin to Bosnia than either Korea or Vietnam.
i aint lowing so dont play with my words.  you get the point.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6251|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

The chance for survival of infantry vs tank is much higher than plane vs IADS.
What does chance have to do with the argument?

Anyway, seems we are not so much enforcing a no-fly zone as providing close air support for the rebels, whether or not they are Al Qaeda.

The Pentagon has revealed that AC-130 gunships and A10 tankbusters, of the kind used in Iraq and Afghanistan, have been deployed in Libya. "We have employed A10s and AC-130s over the weekend," Vice-Admiral Bill Gortney, said.

The aircraft are better suited than high-flying fighter bombers to attack targets in built-up areas without so much risk of civilian casualties, defence officials say.

The use of the close air support aircraft has fuelled claims that the US is actively co-ordinating tactics with the rebels. Aware of the controversy any such admission could unleash, Gortney, director of the Pentagon's Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the US actions were in support of the UN-backed resolutions to protect Libyan civilians. "We're not in direct support of the opposition, that's not part of our mandate, and we're not co-ordinating with the opposition," he added.

He described the US strategy as one of continuing "to pressure them where we think it's going to give us the best effect".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ma … ctic-libya

"to pressure them where we think it's going to give us the best effect"
Hmmm, that doesn't sound like enforcing a no-fly zone or protecting civilians at all.
The RAF, which does not possess these low-flying US warplanes, have deployed Tornados firing laser or radar-guided weapons such as the Brimstone missile against Libyan armour. It has also fired Storm Shadow standoff cruise weapons, costing an estimated GBP800,000 each, against ammunition bunkers in the Sabha area in the southern Libya desert.
"Ammunition bunkers", thats even further away from aircraft than air defences or tanks.

Its blatantly clear we've entered a civil war and taken a side, for reasons which presumably will become clear some time later.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-03-29 05:07:05)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5503|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Anyway, seems we are not so much enforcing a no-fly zone as providing close air support for the rebels, whether or not they are Al Qaeda.

The Pentagon has revealed that AC-130 gunships and A10 tankbusters, of the kind used in Iraq and Afghanistan, have been deployed in Libya. "We have employed A10s and AC-130s over the weekend," Vice-Admiral Bill Gortney, said.

The aircraft are better suited than high-flying fighter bombers to attack targets in built-up areas without so much risk of civilian casualties, defence officials say.

The use of the close air support aircraft has fuelled claims that the US is actively co-ordinating tactics with the rebels. Aware of the controversy any such admission could unleash, Gortney, director of the Pentagon's Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the US actions were in support of the UN-backed resolutions to protect Libyan civilians. "We're not in direct support of the opposition, that's not part of our mandate, and we're not co-ordinating with the opposition," he added.

He described the US strategy as one of continuing "to pressure them where we think it's going to give us the best effect".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ma … ctic-libya

"to pressure them where we think it's going to give us the best effect"
Hmmm, that doesn't sound like enforcing a no-fly zone or protecting civilians at all.
Well, any pretense that it was just a NFZ was shattered by Obamas speech last night. He spent a good ten minutes talking about how awful Gaddafi is and how we're aiding the revolutionaries in toppling him etc.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The Russians etc are going to be pissed they didn't veto the whole thing.
I wonder what they were promised in return?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-03-29 05:23:48)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6861

Dilbert_X wrote:

The Russians etc are going to be pissed they didn't veto the whole thing.
I wonder what they were promised in return?
Russians knew this was going to escalate, I doubt their intelligence agencies are that foolish.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6550|North Carolina

Shahter wrote:

how does a clown become president on the usa?
...the same way one becomes president of Russia...   money.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6550|North Carolina

Kmar wrote:

Turkey blocks no fly zone. France wants a non-nato body to lead operations. Quagmire
Maybe unilateral action really is the second best approach afterall.

The first best being staying the fuck out.
FEOS
+1,182|6556|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Everything, essentially.
― Albert Einstein

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6820|Canberra, AUS
[irrelevant] why the title change? [/irrelevant]
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

[irrelevant] why the title change? [/irrelevant]
Civil war implied merely a domestic spat. The situation has evolved.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6859|Purplicious Wisconsin
Still is a fucking civil war. You can say the American War for Independence was sort of a civil war yet the French and Germans were involved.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Everything, essentially.
No it doesn't, they are both at risk we just choose to take a risk with cheap infantry but not with expensive pilots and aircraft.

I have no clue what Obama is up to, deploying the military when there is no threat to the US, going to the UN to get a resolution to protect civilians and then deciding the objective is regime change.

I heard on the radio that of the first 200 cruise missiles fired 193 were fired by the US.
So much for no more foreign adventures eh?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

War Man wrote:

Still is a fucking civil war. You can say the American War for Independence was sort of a civil war yet the French and Germans were involved.
The American war, and the Libyan conflict is more appropriate labeled a Revolutionary war. Nato has clearly taken a side in Libya, whether they admit it or not.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
War Man

Kmar wrote:

War Man wrote:

The American war, and the Libyan conflict is more appropriate labeled a Revolutionary war. Nato has clearly taken a side in Libya, whether they admit it or not.
I know, but revolutionary wars usually are somewhat a civil war. And yes as much as I'm displeased with the side NATO chose I have to deal with it.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

Right, but under the classical definition of civil war belligerents are limited to within the same border.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
War Man
K
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

Gadhafi's forces recapture oil town of Ras Lanuf, forcing Libya rebels to flee to the east. If the NATO UN thinks that airstrikes a no fly zone is going to remove Gadhafi protect civilians, they might be in for a huge waste of time and money surprise.

Last edited by Obama (23 minutes, 38 seconds ago)
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard