notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6770|The United Center
i just got a G5 about a month ago...wow.

i never realized how big of a difference a moose can make, but after tossing my old microsoft intellimoose explorer and using the G5, i've noticed a huge difference ingame.  you wont be disappointed with a g5.
IGT-:-Maverick
+3|6798|UK
I use the Logitech MX518 and love it.
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6618|Ohio, USA

AnarkyXtra wrote:

MX518 here.

oberst_enzian wrote:

its mice people! mice, not mouses.
Actually, when you're talking about a computer mouse, it IS mouse/mouses. 
Sorry, but they are both appropriate:

Cyberwalker Media Syndicate wrote:

Question: We have a different kind of question for CyberWalker. What is the plural of computer mouse, "mouses" or "mice"?

Answer: I've been on the trail for an answer for this question for a week and in the process I was snubbed by the very inventor of the computer mouse.

I started my search for the truth about mouse plurality with Douglas Engelbart, who invented the device at the Stanford Research Centre in California in 1963.

You may recall that he was recently named the winner of the 1997 Lemelson-M.I.T. Prize for his inventions, which besides the computer mouse, include windowing and videoconferencing.

Well, he didn't answer my e-mail and I'm a little indignant about it. I browsed his Web page at www.bootsrap.org anyway and discovered that in his 1970 patent application for the device, he called it an X-Y Position Indicator for a Display System.

By extrapolation, Engelbart's plural of mouse is XY-PIDSes. Not exactly catchy. Good thing he didn't go into product-naming as a career. Then again I shouldn't complain, if he had we might be eating the Agrandized Multi-Layered Hamburger Sandwich at McDonald's.

The next stop on the rodential syntax search was M.I.T. After all, they're a bunch of bright folks and they did give Doug a half-million dollars for his badly named, but nifty invention.

On their Web page was a media release about the prize. In it they refer to the plural of the device as "mice," quotes included. That suggests to me that they don't quite take the word very seriously.

At a bit of a loss, I headed for Logitech's home page at www.logitech.com.They're the world's largest makers of the mouse.

I sent them an e-mail too, asking for a definitive answer. None arrived.

In their marketing material they refer to the word "mice." But who can take marketers seriously? I mean on the same pages they refer to scanners and video cameras as "imaging solutions." That's like calling your feet "transportation enablers" or your mouth a "communication output orifice."

Completely frustrated and at my wit's end, I punched in a few search terms into the Altavista search engine and came up with what may be as close an answer I as can find.

I found the Free On-line Dictionary of Computing and one of its co-authors Paul Mayer, a chemistry grad student and research associate at Princeton University. FOLDOC is a searchable dictionary of computer terms that spans jargon (try "mouse arrest"), technical terms and anything to do with computing.

If you punch in "mouses", it reveals the definition for "mouse." If you try "mice" it also points to the mouse definition.

"This an interesting and I'm sure very debatable question," Mayer told me in a lengthy and much appreciated e-mail reply.

"I will share some insight, but correctness is not implied or guaranteed."

His frankness and willingness to indulge me was refreshing. He even checked a real dictionary, something I'd neglected to do.

"Webster's 7th Collegiate Dictionary would appear to give mice as the plural for mouse in all instances," he explained.

"However, the plural of this device should be determined by common usage. If this is the case then it would appear that both mice and mouses are acceptable."

In researching his answer for me, he did a search on Altavista for both terms.

"Both turned up an abundance of hits," he said.

"But one could even argue that 'mouses' is preferred because it avoids confusing a few peripheral input devices with a few small rodents."

So there you have it. Both are appropriate. I endorse Mayer's final analysis though. "There is one way to avoid confusion," he concluded. "I do not have two mice and I do not have two mouses ... I have one mouse and come to think of it, I have another mouse."

If this column still doesn't fully help you with questions about computer memory or if you need personalized help with a problem, please see: Emergency Help.

Finished reading this page? Why not go try out GoToMyPC for free for a month - you can remote control your computer from anywhere. Cyberwalker uses it and thinks it's fantastic!
from: http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/jul97/070797.html
137twozerosniper
+57|6588|UK
Logitech G5
Souljah
+42|6691
i got a mx1000. works great plus you get a few more buttons on that mouse
No 1 Gooner
coopj Dependant
+98|6595|England
Logitech mx 518,had a cordless but had to keep throwing batteries at it!! ive got big hands and this is a big mouse so i feels nice! and it was about 40 of our finest english pounds too!!!
TheRealRyanRay
+22|6596|Gainesville, FL

Far wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Mx518
MX518 FTW! woot woot
Absolutely!
dido for me
Ballistix5
+36|6798|Forster NSW
Logitech G7 100 US i think
there about 130 - 140 AUS

I got one and its awsome
its like moving ur mouse on an air hockey table

Edit: The new black ones are coming out too which LOOK awsome

Last edited by Ballistix5 (2006-05-13 17:40:33)

.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6718|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia

[UCF]Dauntless wrote:

Andrew wrote:

I just got a black G7 its great switching the batteries every few hours does not bother me.
I'm pretty sure they dont make a black G7, correct me if im wrong (with a picture of it )

I got a G7 and i love it, have had no problems with it, you dont need to switch the batterys very often and when you do it only takes a couple of seconds

http://www.com-tra.de/img/p/06807_o.jpg
there is a black G7 and it looks so god damn sexeh, linky to it here where i just preordered mine from   http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prod … oduct=5873
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6665|Deep In The South Of Texas
MX518 rocks the casbah!
BigWillyT
+5|6785|Ridgecrest, CA

atlvolunteer wrote:

IMO Mx518 is great.  Has a lot of well-placed, programmable buttons and good sensitivity.  One plus over the G5 or G7 is that it has two thumb buttons.
IMO this mouse is everything and a bag of chips!   Defintely one of the best purchases I've made for my PC.
jamesjosephkilroy
+3|6694|Kentucky U.S.A.
G5
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6828|Portland, OR, USA

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

G7 if ur into wireless, G5 if ur ok with wired, great mouses
Couldn't have said it better myself.

EDIT: I have a G5 (I hate heavy mice) and I love it to death.

Last edited by Viper007Bond (2006-05-14 00:31:26)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6621|Cheshire. UK
Had a Razor....too small...seems low profile...now got a Logitech MX518....in my opinion ..best mouse ive ever owned...and ive been into computing for the last 20 odd years

so if you can MX518 FTW
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6735
razor copperhead
or
G7

top notch laser mouses..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard