Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5512|London, England

13/f/taiwan wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

A 4 way stop sounds incredibly stupid. The entire point of the stop sign is to establish a clear right of way without having to install lights.
might sound stupid but it works and that's all that really matters. innit.
A FOUR-WAY STOP sign means that there are four stop signs at this intersection. Traffic from all four directions must stop. The first vehicle to reach the intersection should move forward first. If two vehicles reach the intersection at the same time, the driver on the left yields to the driver on the right.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5190|Massachusetts, USA
Is it so hard to follow the rules of the road? Driving is a privilege and not a right, get it through your head dawg.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6835|Disaster Free Zone

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

A 4 way stop sounds incredibly stupid. The entire point of the stop sign is to establish a clear right of way without having to install lights.
A FOUR-WAY STOP sign means that there are four stop signs at this intersection. Traffic from all four directions must stop. The first vehicle to reach the intersection should move forward first. If two vehicles reach the intersection at the same time, the driver on the left yields to the driver on the right.
You mustn't understand the concept of "clear".
UnkleRukus
That Guy

DrunkFace wrote:

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Whats not clear about it, if you and another person pull up the the 4 way. Whoever got there first, goes first. If you're there at the same time then if the other driver is the left of you, then you have the right of way. If they're on the right of you then they have the right of way. If they're in front of you and they're turning and they need to cross into your lane to turn, then you have the right of way.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

UnkleRukus wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Whats not clear about it, if you and another person pull up the the 4 way. Whoever got there first, goes first. If you're there at the same time then if the other driver is the left of you, then you have the right of way. If they're on the right of you then they have the right of way. If they're in front of you and they're turning and they need to cross into your lane to turn, then you have the right of way.
Ya I dont get whats hard about that.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
How often do people arrive at an intersection simultaneously?

You arrive a quarter of second before someone else. Technically you arrived first, so does that give you a right of way no matter what? What about if it was a half or 1 second, or a tenth of a second. What time gap is the difference between arriving first and arriving together? What happens when someone adjudges that they arrived first but the other that they arrived together.

You can write the rules how ever you like and I'm sure it works most of the time, but the fact is it can cause confusion and potential accidents, something you just don't get with 2way stop signs.
UnkleRukus
That Guy

Jay wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

I bet he's the kind of asshole that cuts people off at a 4 way stop. You know, putting lives in danger, property etc.....

DrunkFace wrote:

You arrive a quarter of second before someone else. Technically you arrived first, so does that give you a right of way no matter what? What about if it was a half or 1 second, or a tenth of a second. What time gap is the difference between arriving first and arriving together? What happens when someone adjudges that they arrived first but the other that they arrived together.

You can write the rules how ever you like and I'm sure it works most of the time, but the fact is it can cause confusion and potential accidents, something you just don't get with 2way stop signs.
If you arrived first, you arrived first. No question, if an accident happens then it wont be your fault.

Last edited by UnkleRukus (2011-03-22 10:44:05)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911

UnkleRukus wrote:

Jay wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

I bet he's the kind of asshole that cuts people off at a 4 way stop. You know, putting lives in danger, property etc.....
They don't exist in this country...

For good reason.

UnkleRukus wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

If you arrived first, you arrived first. No question, if an accident happens then it wont be your fault.
It's not about who's fault it is. It's about stopping accidents. And anyway its his word V mine, neither has any proof.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2011-03-22 10:48:32)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,739|6891|Oxferd Ohire
stop signs are also used to attempt to prevent people from speeding..doesnt work
and i mean 4 way stops. i encounter 2 4way stops every day there is no reason to have them besides to slow down traffic on the main road..

Last edited by RTHKI (2011-03-22 10:46:40)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
UnkleRukus
That Guy

DrunkFace wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Jay wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

They don't exist in this country...

For good reason.
I have no idea what country you're in, sooooo what does that tell me exactly?

RTHKI wrote:

stop signs are also used to attempt to prevent people from speeding..doesnt work
How so.

Last edited by UnkleRukus (2011-03-22 10:46:12)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,739|6891|Oxferd Ohire
its a 25mph zone which could easily be 35. fgts
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
you will be just fine with driving if you live and drive in a big city now
UnkleRukus
That Guy

RTHKI wrote:

its a 25mph zone which could easily be 35. fgts
Zones are determined by population density, are they not?
13/f/taiwan
+940|5852
drunkface you're making it harder then it needs to be. this is one of those "you won't get it until you've done it/been through it" things.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

and i mean 4 way stops. i encounter 2 4way stops every day there is no reason to have them besides to slow down traffic on the main road..
What's even more obnoxious are speed humps. And I'm not talking about in a parking lot.
-Frederick Bastiat
13/f/taiwan
+940|5852
i hate driving around schools in this city.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
How does one avoid creating four way stops anyway? Make all roads one way? Or are you talking about faggy ass jughandles like they have in Jersey?
-Frederick Bastiat
13/f/taiwan
+940|5852
different country and whatnot i guess.
UnkleRukus
That Guy

RTHKI wrote:

I guess it's different in different areas. I go through a couple of 4 way stops and they don't disrupt traffic flow at all, they're  necessary to keep accidents down on residential streets, especially when you have a bunch of retards driving around like we do right now that UMASS is back.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Jay wrote:

How does one avoid creating four way stops anyway? Make all roads one way? Or are you talking about faggy ass jughandles like they have in Jersey?
1 road has right of way (ie a green light) the other has to stop, check for traffic, then proceed when clear.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DrunkFace wrote:

Jay wrote:

1 road has right of way (ie a green light) the other has to stop, check for traffic, then proceed when clear.
We have those too. I prefer four ways. They're safer.
-Frederick Bastiat
and what exactly is taking place on these streets?
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&h … e%20street
UnkleRukus
That Guy

DrunkFace wrote:

Jay wrote:

Those are the flashing yellow lights for one lane of 2 way traffic and flashing red lights for the perpendicular lanes of traffic. Those are way more dangerous over here than 4 way stops.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6821

My neighborhood.  4-way and 3-way with island.  Someone must have gone to Europe to get this idea.  It ends up encouraging impatient jerks to "skip the line" as a car has to circle when making left turns, where it would not be possible on your standard 4-way.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11550/4way%20with%20island.png

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11550/3way%20with%20island.png
13/f/taiwan
+940|5852
how many accidents?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard