whaaaaat
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5181|Massachusetts, USA

Trotskygrad wrote:

menzo wrote:

a minehunter boat
whaaaaat
I'm willing to bet there are some mines out on the coast of Libya by now.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6144|Vortex Ring State

UnkleRukus wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

menzo wrote:

a minehunter boat
whaaaaat
isn't most Anti-mining done by helicopters from carriers these days?
UnkleRukus
That Guy

Trotskygrad wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

whaaaaat
isn't most Anti-mining done by helicopters from carriers these days?
AFAIK Helicopters can detect the equipment but the minesweepers go out and disarm/detonate them.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6710|Area 51

menzo wrote:

The Netherlands is also in with few F-16, a KDC-10 tanker and a minehunter boat
Let's wait and see how they do this time. Hopefully they won't have to leave something behind this time. derp.
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6591|Amsterdam‫

RDMC wrote:

menzo wrote:

The Netherlands is also in with few F-16, a KDC-10 tanker and a minehunter boat
Let's wait and see how they do this time. Hopefully they won't have to leave something behind this time. derp.
i wonder where our chopper is now.
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
Probably shot to bits by the B-2 bombing raids on the airfields.
inane little opines
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6251|eXtreme to the maX

1927 wrote:

A USA plane crashed landed last night in Libya, but its alright the rebels have the pilot apparently.

Sorry if this is old news
Unfortunately the rescue team shot up the locals for some reason.
One Libyan who came across the crashed jet told Britain's Daily Telegraph that one pilot held his hands in the air and said "OK, OK", but was quickly thanked by locals for his participation in the air strikes.

Younis Amruni told the Telegraph: "I hugged him and said 'don't be scared, we are your friends'."

A reporter for Britain's Channel 4 said six villagers were shot and injured as a US helicopter attempted to rescue the crew. She said one man expected his young son to lose a leg due to a bullet wound but that the locals did not appear resentful over the shootings.

A spokeswoman for US Africa Command said it was "trying to ascertain the facts".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12816226
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
UnkleRukus
That Guy

Dilbert_X wrote:

1927 wrote:

A USA plane crashed landed last night in Libya, but its alright the rebels have the pilot apparently.

Sorry if this is old news
Unfortunately the rescue team shot up the locals for some reason.
One Libyan who came across the crashed jet told Britain's Daily Telegraph that one pilot held his hands in the air and said "OK, OK", but was quickly thanked by locals for his participation in the air strikes.

Younis Amruni told the Telegraph: "I hugged him and said 'don't be scared, we are your friends'."

A reporter for Britain's Channel 4 said six villagers were shot and injured as a US helicopter attempted to rescue the crew. She said one man expected his young son to lose a leg due to a bullet wound but that the locals did not appear resentful over the shootings.

A spokeswoman for US Africa Command said it was "trying to ascertain the facts".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12816226
One trigger happy jackass is all it takes. Sonuvabitch.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Pilot number one, who was scarcely injured, was taken to the military authorities in Benghazi from where he was quickly handed over to the Americans, writes Lindsey Hilsum.But a rescue mission was mounted for pilot number two, and this is where what could have been comic turned sour.

Osprey aircraft came in, all guns blazing, assuming - as the American military tends to do - that this was hostile territory. "We are disturbed about the shooting because if they'd given us a chance we would have handed over both pilots," said Colonel Sayid. "This shooting created panic."Worse than that, several bystanders were injured, amongst them 43-year-old Hamad Abdul Ati.

We found him in Jala hospital in Benghazi, with multiple shrapnel and bullet wounds, and a broken arm.  He didn't understand why the Americans had been so aggressive in their rescue mission. "We consider that whoever is shot down or a prisoner of war, we should save him and hand him over" he told me from his hospital bed. "But another plane shot at me and Hamdy my son. I have shrapnel in my hand. "Hospital staff told us that 20-year-old Hamdy's injuries were far worse, and he was undergoing an operation to amputate part of one leg
http://www.channel4.com/news/third-nigh … g-in-libya

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-03-23 00:22:28)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

Witnesses differ on shooting during U.S. rescue
A second plane reportedly strafed the field where the pilot went down. Hamid Moussa el-Amruni himself said he was shot, suffered shrapnel wounds in his leg and back, but he could still walk. He used an old broomstick as a crutch and said he held no grudge, believing it was an accident.

..CBS's Mandy Clark arrived at the scene and spoke to an eyewitness, who said there was some firing but absolutely no one was injured.

"He said he would understand why there might be firing if the Americans were on the ground," Clark told CBS Radio News.

"He certainly didn't think the shooting was against civilians , perhaps more of a warning firing to tell people to back off and stay away from the wreckage and to stay away from the pilot and the weapons officer," Clark said.

Another witness told Clark that the Americans fired on their own plane that was down, perhaps in an effort to destroy it so none of the weaponry or technology could be seized by other forces.

Witnesses told Clark that right after the plane crashed, there were flares shot by other planes, which can sometimes serve as a a warning for civilians to stay away from an area. These villagers were not aware of that.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/ … 5905.shtml

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/world … mp;emc=rss
“No shots were fired,” said Capt. Richard Ulsh, a Marine spokesman aboard the Kearsarge. “The Osprey is not armed, and the Marines barely got off the aircraft. I was in the landing center the whole time, where we were monitoring what was going on, and firing was never reported.”
I'll let the investigation play out.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6294|'straya
On the news they just said that the crew fearing for their life called in other fighters who dropped 2 bombs (which injured several locals with shrapnel) but that there was no shooting by the rescue squad.

Whether that is accurate or not I have no idea, but that is what the local news here was just reporting.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Another witness told Clark that the Americans fired on their own plane that was down, perhaps in an effort to destroy it so none of the weaponry or technology could be seized by other forces.
What are they going to do, make an 'Iron Man' suit out of it?

We're using cold war doctrine in the third world.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

I imagine it's standard procedure..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6955|Nårvei

Norwegian contribution of 6 F16s are in agreement under US control as of today ... all 6 pilots and most of the ground crew (total of 120 men) have seen action in Afghanistan ...

Norwegian base will be on Crete.
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

"EU reaches agreement in principle to impose sanctions on Libya's NOC national oil group" ~BBC
This is how you protect civilians fellas.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6556|'Murka

Kmar wrote:

^This. As was the TRAP (tactical recovery of aircraft and personnel) procedure used by the Marines when recovering the crew. Those procedures/asssumptions are used by ALL allies, not just Americans.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Kmar wrote:

Then its a shit procedure and needs changing.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
Why? Isn't bombing air defence / radar systems exactly in line with what it means to enforce an NFZ?
inane little opines
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Shocking wrote:

Why? Isn't bombing air defence / radar systems exactly in line with what it means to enforce an NFZ?
According to USAF doctrine yes. Otherwise no.

This pre-emptive self-defense theory doesn't apply in any other sphere, you don't see UN blue helmets taking out every conceivable local threat do you?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6955|Nårvei

Dilbert_X wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Why is that?
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
But didn't they do exactly the same thing in Bosnia?

It doesn't seem logical to me to start patrolling over hostile skies while air defence systems are still intact on the ground.

Dilbert_X wrote:

According to USAF doctrine yes. Otherwise no.

This pre-emptive self-defense theory doesn't apply in any other sphere, you don't see UN blue helmets taking out every conceivable local threat do you?
Well it's not like Libyan leadership allowed us to impose a NFZ, Gadaffi stated multipile times he'd fight back.

So what's the big deal in disabling him from doing so?

Last edited by Shocking (2011-03-23 05:12:39)

inane little opines
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6820|Canberra, AUS
Yeah that's ridiculous frankly to be trying to enforce a no fly zone with AA on the ground.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Varegg wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Why is that?
Going in guns blazing when you're there to protect civilians?
I can see one or two problems with that.

Spark wrote:

Yeah that's ridiculous frankly to be trying to enforce a no fly zone with AA on the ground.
Why exactly? This 'destroy everything' strategy doesn't apply when enforcing ceasefires, exclusion zones or blockades on the land or sea, why should it apply to the air?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6746|132 and Bush

Who said "destroy everything" in enforcing a no fly zone?
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard