Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5503|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Sure, but the dead marsh arabs and their surviving relatives probably not so much.
Blame the UN. They're the ones that put the breaks on coalition involvement leading to regime change.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6251|eXtreme to the maX
People talk about 'The UN' as if its some malevolent force which came from outer space to dominate planet earth.

Its made up of the member states, not Kang and Kodos, if there's a problem it can be dealt with.

Which resolution prevented us invading Iraq?

Could we have put forward another one?

The no-fly resolution was badly written and didn't cover helicopters. Could we have put forward another one which did?

Which resolution prevented us from supporting the Southern Iraqis and the Kurds?

Could we have put forward another one, like the one we just got for Libya?

Its like saying "I hate my house, it never takes out the trash, never goes shopping, doesn't cook, doesn't do my ironing, never buys me presents and doesn't even tape my TV shows. My house is stupid I hate it "
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Shrug. Why the sudden change of heart Dilbert? Yesterday you were agreeing that the two conflicts are no different from each other and that both were wrong.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6251|eXtreme to the maX
From the point of view of removing a dictator because we've decided he's no longer in our interests they're the same.

How we've gone about it is quite different, and gives the lie to the idea we're in both to 'help civilians'.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...

Dilbert_X wrote:

From the point of view of removing a dictator because we've decided he's no longer in our interests they're the same.

How we've gone about it is quite different, and gives the lie to the idea we're in both to 'help civilians'.
Refer to 1996/1998, shit was no different.

I can't find a good reason to bomb Libya. If anything this seems to be a preventive strike to remove Gadaffi before he decides to cut supplies / re-opens weapon programs and the like.

Last edited by Shocking (2011-03-22 06:26:18)

inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

We don't give a shit about civilians in either case. They've just been more tactful (read: bold faced lying and telling people what they want to hear "we're the good guys rah rah rah") with the public on Libya. Bush didn't give a fuck what other people thought. End result is the same. Just less whining about it.
-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6766|London, England

Jay wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Kurds aren't all of Iraq, they're a minority. If the Shia's really all rebelled than Iraq would have looked like how it did for the occupation. IIRC, there were sanctions and no fly zones set up for Iraq too, they just weren't anywhere near as effective as they should have. Also, Gulf War 1 was a proper international and justified response to him invading Kuwait. Why they didn't go further than what they did, I don't know. But the Iraqi people is what made the difference I guess, if they were rebelling like they did in Libya maybe there would have been greater support for ousting Saddam then, even if the numbers were higher it didn't seem like a nationwide thing. Then again, Iraq on the whole is just much much bigger than Libya in every way except maybe physical geography.

2003 came out of nowhere, long after whatever Saddam did and it was all about WMD's and the new buzzword terrorism. Again, there was no massive rebel movement or widespread popular approval at the time of a foreign intervention, much less a US/British invasion with no support from the UN and boatloads of criticism. Much much less for an occupation to boot.

It was the occupation that was always the worst thing though.

Yeah also, however much you can cry about it. Public image (Obama/Democrats vs Bush/Republicans), Timing (massive protests, on going crackdown vs no protests and no crackdown, relative peace) and perception (International consensus, condemnation and approval vs the opposite for Iraq 2003) do mean alot.

The day I'll concede this is another Iraq is the day when we invade Libya against the clear will of the majority of Libyans and people in the region and the whole thing becomes a clusterfuck with Egypt/Tunisia/Algeria etc.. supplying the rebels with weapons to fight the Western occupiers etc.... frankly, I don't see that happening.
Mek, you made no rational argument. You were anti the Iraq war but you're pro the Libya war. They are the same. How can you be for one and against the other? The only variable between the two conflicts is one is being cheerleaded by the media and the other was derided by it. This tells me you don't put any real thought into your opinions, you just parrot the opinions of others. You're a left wing Hunter/Jumper.
I'm the one laying it out why I think it's different, you keep dismissing it with crap, and then saying nonsense about the media, calling people parrots and just saying bullshit. Honestly what's the point
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5382|Cleveland, Ohio
settle down, mek
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6550|North Carolina

11 Bravo wrote:

ya gadaffy is slaughtering his people ya!!!!

proof?

oh well this guy says so.

oh ok.  attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://blogs.e-rockford.com/applesauce/files/2011/03/cp6903_its-a-conspiracy.jpg
Mekstizzle
WALKER
A lot of people bring up Rwanda etc.. asking why didn't they intervene then, intervene for who? Hutu? lol, in most civil wars there's no clear side you can jump in to defend, I guess you would go into Rwanda and kick the shit out of everyone... The only reason they jumped in to defend here was because it was so lopsided and Gadaffi's forces were being so brutal with the advantage they had, even if the quantity was completely the other way round. There was a clear side to defend here.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Mekstizzle wrote:

A lot of people bring up Rwanda etc.. asking why didn't they intervene then, intervene for who? Hutu? lol, in most civil wars there's no clear side you can jump in to defend, I guess you would go into Rwanda and kick the shit out of everyone... The only reason they jumped in to defend here was because it was so lopsided and Gadaffi's forces were being so brutal with the advantage they had, even if the quantity was completely the other way round. There was a clear side to defend here.
So if the rebels had an overwhelming advantage you would've supported a no fly zone to protect gaddafi?
-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER
No, there would have been no need to intervene then. Gaddafi put it upon himself by making the rebels who they are, after he started firing/bombing on protesters who were just trying to do what Egypt/Tunisia did. It's on him. The way he did it, jetting in foreign mercs, killing his soldiers who didn't follow the orders, you saw Pilots defect to Malta etc.. saying the same shit.

That's some more stupid logic from you, did we intervene in Egypt to save Mubarak?
JahManRed
wank
+646|6773|IRELAND

Every time I see a cruise missile fired I think. There goes 20 Nurses wages for a year.

Funny how we can always find the money to kill not save lives.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6550|North Carolina

Jay wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

So if the rebels had an overwhelming advantage you would've supported a no fly zone to protect gaddafi?
I think another reason much of Europe wanted to get involved is the refugee aspect.  Italy in particular faces a lot more refugees if Gadhafi wins.  If Gadhafi is removed, these potential refugees can stay in their country and rebuild it.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6144|Vortex Ring State

JahManRed wrote:

Every time I see a cruise missile fired I think. There goes 20 Nurses wages for a year.

Funny how we can always find the money to kill not save lives.
eh, interesting perspective... it's hard to go totally isolationist when you're already adopting an interventionist policy, you can't just start scrapping warplanes and warships, and cutting troop numbers, and rediverting that money into better spending on healthcare. It's a dangerous world, and we can only hope that more countries can sort their problems out by themselves, peacefully.
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6271|So Cal
Summarize thread: We don't help out, Arab League will hate us.  If we DO help out, Arab League still hates us.
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Mekstizzle wrote:

No, there would have been no need to intervene then. Gaddafi put it upon himself by making the rebels who they are, after he started firing/bombing on protesters who were just trying to do what Egypt/Tunisia did. It's on him. The way he did it, jetting in foreign mercs, killing his soldiers who didn't follow the orders, you saw Pilots defect to Malta etc.. saying the same shit.

That's some more stupid logic from you, did we intervene in Egypt to save Mubarak?
So you're only ok with intervention when there's some fluffy bunny rebel group on the receiving end of aid? Who's to say the rebels are any better than the current group in power? That logic is so infantile it's not even cute. "Rebels r kewl, i like rebels because i r rebellious".

The kewl rebel group in the late 70s and early 80s was a group of Marxists in Nicaragua who wanted to overthrow the Somoza faction. They called themselves the Sandanistas. Perhaps you've heard of them? Joe Strummer even named a pretty fantastic Clash album after them. Lefties of the world rejoiced. Reagan became public enemy number one when his administration sent money to their opposition, the Contras (hence all the Reagan hate among punk bands in the 80s).

Anyway, fast forward thirty years and the Sandanistas are still in power. Daniel Ortega, the leader of the FSLN (sandanistas), has thus been in control for a very long time. This has made him extremely wealthy. His country still remains extremely poor.

Now, do I know that the country would've been better off under the Contras? Absolutely not. No one does. This is why picking sides and enforcing your will is retarded. Is Gadhafi a horrible human being? Undoubtedly. Was Saddam? Also undoubtedly. Problem is, the nations they ruled were sovereign. Because they are sovereign, it's up to the people themselves to decide their fate. It's not the UNs job to go bullying people and it's not their job to pick peoples government for them. To somehow separate what happened in Iraq from what is happening in Libya takes mental gymnastics and leaps of logic I'm unable to perform. I see them as two sides of the same coin. The only difference being one is popular with the mob and the other is not. What controls a mob? PR.
-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER
You seem to be missing the point, these guys were non existent until Gaddafi hired foreign mercs, used air forces and heavy weaponry on unarmed protesters. Protesters who were riding on the wave of revolution sweeping through their neighbours in Tunisia and Egypt, those revolutions went relatively peacefully despite all the fears they held about governments, they managed to break through it. They tried to do the same in Libya, instead Gaddafi was having none of it and went on an all out attack. Thus, the protesters became the armed rebels.

You're assuming this is some organised civil war going on, these rebels are barely organised it's being said every day. Because most of them are/were just ordinary people, a few defections from the military...taking up arms after seeing that protesting peacefully meant jack shit and just got you cut up by AAA and bombs from jets.

There was no massive rebel movement or dissent in Libya until the revolutions started happening, they took to the streets and got fucked up. The protesters became the rebels due to the treatment they got.

They've had to form leaders and try and have some structure, unlike what the Egyptians needed, because of the military campaign going against them. It was all forced upon them that they had to adapt in order to survive. If the Libyan military/police responded in the same way as Egypt did, then it would have turned out as Egypt did and would have required zero intervention. I don't see what's so complicated about that.

The only difference being one is popular with the mob and the other is not. What controls a mob? PR.
Yes well, cry as much as you want, popular opinion and the majority is how shit tends to work. If you want to live in some utopia where that somehow doesn't apply, you need to live in a society of mindless robots. This world is just made up of people and by people, nothing more nothing less. You take away that and it's nothing. It's all just flesh and blood.

Nobody really knows the agenda of the rebels, they seem to come from all walks of life and are only united in their dislike for the Gadaffi regime. That's what the elections afterwards decide. It's upto them.

It's not as easy as saying Marxist Sandanistas fighting righteous whatever. You wish it was, but it isn't. It's actually even simpler than that.

---

The way you act, is like someone who has only started reading about this in the past week or so. Go back to before the Japan quake, read up on how things were when they weren't rebels but just protesters. You need to go back to the beginning. Otherwise you're gonna be stuck in your stupid mindset.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2011-03-22 09:52:56)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I really don't care about the rebels mek. They don't mean anything to me. You obviously have an emotional attachment to them and their story. I do not. I see this as the UN playing the bully and messing with a nations sovereignty because the members of the security council didn't like the leader. Ok, so if the security council decided to take out Cameron you'd be ok with it? Majority rule and all.

Last edited by Jay (2011-03-22 09:56:31)

-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER
You need to take everything into context.

If Cameron was a dictator who used the full fist of the military (plus foreign mercs) to destroy protests, of which were being done by the majority of the population...resulting in an almost unheard of crackdown, then yeah...It would make complete sense for the UN to intervene in such a situation.

Majority rule indeed. If the majority of the UK wanted him gone, but couldn't do it because they were too weak and Cameron had the entire military giving him backing (or mostly very well armed/organised foreign mercenaries because he's a rich corrupt dictator) I honestly don't see how the international community would have no right to intervene and help the UK out.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
No Mek, none of that matters. It doesn't matter if Cameron is a dictator or not. You are projecting your morals onto other people, the same way neo-cons want to. Are you a neo-con? I know that's a dirty word but you're making the exact same justifications they made before the Iraq invasion.

It is never right for one country or group of countries to interfere inside of another sovereign nation. It is just as wrong for the US to interfere in Mexican elections as it is for us to bomb Libya. We don't have any right to interfere, even if the people want us to.

Last edited by Jay (2011-03-22 10:07:17)

-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Well, it's just boiling down to you saying the details (popular opinion/sentiment and all that) don't matter because it's always wrong. I'm saying the details matter, sometimes it's right. Neo-cons say it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, I'm doing it because this is what I think is the best for me. That's the difference.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
hm... I would say the cruise missile strikes on Iraq in 93 and 96 were justified.

If we would have done nothing in this whole Libya thing it would have had a very negative effect on our image in the ME, I don't think we had much of a choice.
inane little opines
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6796|USA

Jay wrote:

No Mek, none of that matters. It doesn't matter if Cameron is a dictator or not. You are projecting your morals onto other people, the same way neo-cons want to. Are you a neo-con? I know that's a dirty word but you're making the exact same justifications they made before the Iraq invasion.

It is never right for one country or group of countries to interfere inside of another sovereign nation. It is just as wrong for the US to interfere in Mexican elections as it is for us to bomb Libya. We don't have any right to interfere, even if the people want us to.
because "wars never solve anything except for ending tyranny, slavery", etc.......?

Sorry Jay? sometimes you have to interfere for those that can not help themselves.

Last edited by lowing (2011-03-22 10:21:41)

UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5181|Massachusetts, USA

Shocking wrote:

hm... I would say the cruise missile strikes on Iraq in 93 and 96 were justified.

If we would have done nothing in this whole Libya thing it would have had a very negative effect on our image in the ME, I don't think we had much of a choice.
It was a dammed if you do dammed if you don't sort of thing.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard