Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5332|Sydney
I think NY deserves a journey of its own one day. And probably with my band so we can do a gig or too and check out a whole bunch of stuff.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-03-20 21:26:06)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6259|eXtreme to the maX

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Starting to think maybe 4 weeks?? Not sure. The girl I'm going over with has said she wants to go to New Orleans, and so would I as my mate said it was a great place. Plus I would love to see some jazz bands there. Is it a lot different now since the hurricane? I also heard there are like two distinct sections of the city?
You might as well just rent a car and save yourself all the airfare then if you're going to bounce around so much.
Yeah I know, already have that planned for part of it. At the moment just feeling it all out first before making any concrete plans (other than Vegas). More feedback/advice I get the better, you guys have been really helpful.
Read up on driving in the US, cloverleaf junctions blow my mind, as do multi-way stops.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jaekus wrote:

I think NY deserves a journey of its own one day. And probably with my band so we can do a gig or too and check out a whole bunch of stuff.
I think you'd need a work visa for that.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Entertainment visa I think.

I've never even heard of those traffic junctions!?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6835|Disaster Free Zone
srsly?

They're hardly uncommon in Sydney. Well, slightly modified versions. (usually only 2 leaves)
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
I looked it up, seen them before, just didn't know the name of them.

Those multi stops don't look too bad.

In Australia we give way to the right. Is it the other way around in the US?

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-03-21 08:20:50)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6691|Long Island, New York

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

You might as well just rent a car and save yourself all the airfare then if you're going to bounce around so much.
Yeah I know, already have that planned for part of it. At the moment just feeling it all out first before making any concrete plans (other than Vegas). More feedback/advice I get the better, you guys have been really helpful.
Read up on driving in the US, cloverleaf junctions blow my mind, as do multi-way stops.
You'd die on the Long Island Expressway if something as simple as a cloverleaf junction blows your mind.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6821

Poseidon wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

You'd die on the Long Island Expressway if something as simple as a cloverleaf junction blows your mind.
Cloverleaf's are the easy stuff.  Try having to traverse 5 lanes in the span of 5 seconds.  The 100 feet merge enter/exit lanes.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5511|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

Huh?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

I looked it up, seen them before, just didn't know the name of them.

Those multi stops don't look too bad.

In Australia we give way to the right. Is it the other way around in the US?
First person to reach full stop has the right of way at a four way intersection. If there's a tie, people to the right have precedence.

Last edited by Jay (2011-03-21 12:35:58)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
So traffic on the right hand side still has right of way?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6821

Jaekus wrote:

Technically, yes, if you arrive at the same time.  Just that some drivers ignore the rule or think they arrived first.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

People making left turns have lowest priority.

If you come to a four way intersection with a light, there will often be a left turn lane with a protected light (meaning that it will have its own special green arrow instead of relying on the same light as straight or right turning traffic). If there is no turning lane you must wait for a break in traffic before turning left.

For stop signs it's first come first served.

Last edited by Jay (2011-03-21 14:15:27)

-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6651

Jay wrote:

it's why we have nascar.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

If you come to a four way intersection with a light, there will often be a left turn lane with a protected light (meaning that it will have its own special green arrow instead of relying on the same light as straight or right turning traffic). If there is no turning lane you must wait for a break in traffic before turning left.

Ok, so it is the reverse of how it works here.

Thought it would be, just wanted to make sure. Gotta remember to mirror image what I'm used to...
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6821

The guy making a left turn is always at fault in an accident...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

burnzz wrote:

Jay wrote:

it's why we have nascar.
Always knew there was an underlying cause for my dislike. It's the dozens of hours of my life people have wasted holding up traffic with left turns.
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6651

Ilocano wrote:

The guy making a left turn is always at fault in an accident...
https://img163.imageshack.us/img163/38/57390532.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Which gets confusing if four cars arrive at the same time, another four arrive after them and another four after that.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,739|6890|Oxferd Ohire

burnzz wrote:

Jay wrote:

it's why we have nascar.
<3
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Which gets confusing if four cars arrive at the same time, another four arrive after them and another four after that.
Yeah, that happens all day long at every four way
-Frederick Bastiat
13/f/taiwan
+940|5852

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Yeah, that happens all day long at every four way
just in case you don't realize it dilbert, that was sarcasm.

just move to america and get it over with. you know you want to.

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2011-03-22 09:34:55)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6835|Disaster Free Zone
A 4 way stop sounds incredibly stupid. The entire point of the stop sign is to establish a clear right of way without having to install lights.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DrunkFace wrote:

A 4 way stop sounds incredibly stupid. The entire point of the stop sign is to establish a clear right of way without having to install lights.
And? That's what our stop signs do.
-Frederick Bastiat
13/f/taiwan
+940|5852

DrunkFace wrote:

might sound stupid but it works and that's all that really matters. innit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard