FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6556|'Murka

Kmar wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

The French started this?

The US is leading at present.
Yes, they launched the first wave.

It's a coalition. It makes sense for the most experienced (in recent history) force in the region to coordinate the operation.
Generally, the one put in charge is the one with the preponderance of forces and the means to command and control them. I think the latter criterion is the one that got it handed to the US in this case.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6955|Nårvei

Just hope the Arab League and African Union steps up to be a part of this, if they don't this can easily be "blamed as western opression" by extremists ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5383|Cleveland, Ohio

Varegg wrote:

this can easily be "blamed as western opression" by extremists ...
already is

let them kill themselves tbh
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6777|Finland

First people blame that the UN is utter shite, and never does anything. Now, when finally something concrete is done, people nag about UN involvement.

The fact that this is basically a UN-operation and not NATO or just U.S. means that basically the entire rest of the world is ok with it, even China, India and Russia, while they do oppose the actions right now, did not veto the resolution in all it's room for interpretation.
I need around tree fiddy.
11 Bravo
Banned

DonFck wrote:

First people blame that the UN is utter shite, and never does anything. Now, when finally something concrete is done, people nag about UN involvement.
Un is shit and should not even be around.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6820|Canberra, AUS

DonFck wrote:

The fact that this is basically a UN-operation and not NATO or just U.S. means that basically the entire rest of the world is ok with it, even China, India and Russia, while they do oppose the actions right now, did not veto the resolution in all it's room for interpretation.
I don't think India is particularly paying attention to anything at all right now
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
11 Bravo
Banned
china and russia could give a toss also.  srsly don what are you on about?
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6777|Finland

11 Bravo wrote:

DonFck wrote:

Un is shit and should not even be around.
One could say the same thing about NATO. A remnant of the cold war. There's more of a point in the existence of the UN.

Spark wrote:

I don't think India is particularly paying attention to anything at all right now

11 Bravo wrote:

china and russia could give a toss also.  srsly don what are you on about?
I'm talking about the UN security council, who came with the resolution. The members, you know? Who voted for, who against, who vetoed, who did what. The actions against Libya were voted on 10-0. Russia, India and China didn't vote at all, but are now speaking up that they're displeased with the current Coalition actions.

That's what I'm on about. That the operation has a green light, and IMHO it's justified in order to prevent a genocide, and at the same time why not taking down a dictator who has been doing whatever he pleases since 1969.
FEOS
+1,182|6556|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

Just hope the Arab League and African Union steps up to be a part of this, if they don't this can easily be "blamed as western opression" by extremists ...
AU's already a part of it...those nations are providing Daffy a lot of his mercs.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
11 Bravo
Banned
genocide?  wtf.  not even close.  and you are assuming that would happen.  its a civil war.  its thier problem.  this UN action is not right.  i find it amazing just because the UN says so everything is cool then.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6797|USA

UnkleRukus wrote:

lowing wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

more civs will die due to us "protecting them" then if we had just left it alone
Yeah especially when they pull the usual shit that happens in the ME sacrifice civilians fo4 headlines and propaganda against the west
If we stayed out of it then their arguments would be in vain. The media, no matter the nation or the region, will always try to spin/splice the truthful stories into some sort of fiction.
Unfortunately the practice of human shields in the ME isn't a work of fiction.

Would love to stay out of the ME, break our dependency on ME oil, and leave them behind in the 11th century.
FEOS
+1,182|6556|'Murka

11 Bravo wrote:

genocide?  wtf.  not even close.  and you are assuming that would happen.  its a civil war.  its thier problem.  this UN action is not right.  i find it amazing just because the UN says so everything is cool then.
Don't you realize that's how it works? If the UN says it's cool, it's cool. If the UN doesn't say it's cool, it's unjustified...regardless of the facts in either case.
― Albert Einstein

Spark
+874|6820|Canberra, AUS
Curious as to why people are ragging on the UN so much. If a whole bunch of foreign ministers had got together and came up with the exact same thing instead, would that be any different? (No is the answer you're looking for)
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
11 Bravo
Banned

FEOS wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Don't you realize that's how it works? If the UN says it's cool, it's cool. If the UN doesn't say it's cool, it's unjustified...regardless of the facts in either case.
yes smart guy i know thats how it works.  doesnt mean i have to agree or follow along.
11 Bravo
Banned

Spark wrote:

Curious as to why people are ragging on the UN so much. If a whole bunch of foreign ministers had got together and came up with the exact same thing instead, would that be any different? (No is the answer you're looking for)
im not.  UN has always been a joke.  i just lol at people who say "well the UN said its cool so its justified."
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6777|Finland

11 Bravo wrote:

There have been an amount of civil wars which have become something entirely different once the international community has become involved. It's a "crimes against humanity"-thing. Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, Rwanda, Somalia etc.

You are correct, the justification is quite debatable. It depends really on the point of view. Justification to prevent genocide is what I said (Gadaffi would've surely executed every rebel in Libya). The international community's interpretation of the NFZ - too radical.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6955|Nårvei

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

AU's already a part of it...those nations are providing Daffy a lot of his mercs.
I have doubts that the AU are sanctioning the mercs hired by Daffy, it's a reason we call them mercs you know
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6145|...
International community authorized 'defending civillians by any means necessary' and then complains when some NATO countries do just that. TBH I don't see why they feel they've got room to complain as none of them wanted to be involved in the action militarily. Initially they supported attacking ground targets such as tanks, artillery emplacements and the like, + I assume they know what a no fly zone actually is, but now suddenly none of them are happy anymore.

Let's not condemn Gadaffi for using human shields, it's your fault if you drop a bomb that kills one.
inane little opines
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6251|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Illogical connection, as the threat is different.
How is the threat different?

FEOS wrote:

No. I don't understand why the French decided to take out armor while enforcing a NFZ, except if the armor was attacking civilians. Of course, I don't see how they could know that, without troops on the ground to tell them that and provide terminal control on the specific armor that was doing the attacking. The ground attacks on armor seem out of bounds to me.
How are they more out of bounds than air defense systems remote from civilians?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5503|London, England

NeXuS wrote:

Shocking wrote:

I think most americans would have no objection to cutting the defense budget by at least 2%, tbh.
I say keep it as it is. If we didn't have such a massive military then we'd get run over. I'm just glad there are no ground troops over there. Sure launch a few missiles and help out but that's the most we should do.
Run over by whom? ze ruskies? Perhaps our hat will turn on us? Oh, I know, we need our military to defend our borders from an invasion from Mexico.

Have you actually put any thought into your opinion?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Nexus wrote:

Sure launch a few missiles and help out
Go back to your birth-planet, please.
Spark
+874|6820|Canberra, AUS

Jay wrote:

NeXuS wrote:

Shocking wrote:

I think most americans would have no objection to cutting the defense budget by at least 2%, tbh.
I say keep it as it is. If we didn't have such a massive military then we'd get run over. I'm just glad there are no ground troops over there. Sure launch a few missiles and help out but that's the most we should do.
Run over by whom? ze ruskies? Perhaps our hat will turn on us? Oh, I know, we need our military to defend our borders from an invasion from Mexico.

dude those canadian fisherman are fucking nasty
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6862

Spark wrote:

Jay wrote:

NeXuS wrote:

North Korean invasion 2035.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Spark wrote:

Jay wrote:

NeXuS wrote:

Pretty sure the US military has killed more university students on US soil than they've killed foreign soldiers.

Edit: LOL Canada.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-03-21 05:48:38)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6643

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pretty sure the US military has killed more university students on US soil than they've killed foreign soldiers.
can you cite sources to back this up?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard