Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5762|Belgium
Been living on Red Bull since 5 am. It's almost 3 pm now, off to the gym!
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4840|Amsterdam

Jebus wrote:

hope you don't crash while working out.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6658|The darkside of Denver

sexecuti0ner wrote:

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but this seems like the best place to ask -

Does anyone have any experience with hernias (more specifically a sports hernia)?  I went for a run today after "working out" at home (just pull-ups, sit-ups, and push-ups) and had to stop after a few minutes because of a dull pain in my groin.  The pain wasn't really that bad, but I thought it would be better to play it safe than risk actual injury. 

I'm not sure if it is a hernia.  I just don't know what else it would be.   I did a little research online but it wasn't all that helpful.

Thanks
I've never got a hernia from training but typically a hernia is a tear in the abdominal wall that causes the intestine to protrude through.  I think you'd have more of a sharp pain because of the muscle tear that a dull pain, and I dot think it would be in the groin area...

You should see a doctor if it doesnt improve at all.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5482|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Jebus wrote:

thats gross
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

SonderKommando wrote:

sexecuti0ner wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with hernias (more specifically a sports hernia)?  I went for a run today after "working out" at home (just pull-ups, sit-ups, and push-ups) and had to stop after a few minutes because of a dull pain in my groin.  The pain wasn't really that bad, but I thought it would be better to play it safe than risk actual injury. 

I'm not sure if it is a hernia.  I just don't know what else it would be.   I did a little research online but it wasn't all that helpful.

Thanks
I've never got a hernia from training but typically a hernia is a tear in the abdominal wall that causes the intestine to protrude through.  I think you'd have more of a sharp pain because of the muscle tear that a dull pain, and I dot think it would be in the groin area...

I some times get a sharp pain doing deadlifts near my groin, but i believe its just something in the shorts i used to wear digging into me.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5762|Belgium

Kampframmer wrote:

Jebus wrote:

hope you don't crash while working out.
Good luck, I didn't. Couldn't go too heavy though.

HaiBai wrote:

Jebus wrote:

thats gross
I know, I just had my first solid meal today.. Off to the prom in an about an hour, will be fine
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6563|Area 51
Have any of you fitness gurus ever heard about EPOC? Read some stuff about it, seems pretty interesting tbh.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4840|Amsterdam

RDMC wrote:

Have any of you fitness gurus ever heard about EPOC? Read some stuff about it, seems pretty interesting tbh.
Never heard of it. Do you have a link or maybe a short explanation?
RDMC
+736|6563|Area 51

Kampframmer wrote:

RDMC wrote:

Never heard of it. Do you have a link or maybe a short explanation?
Here: http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuildi … s_tip.html

And here: http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/epoc.html
baggs
+732|6202
REALLY spunked it on Wednesday at the gym with 150kg deadlifts, 80kg stiff leag deadlifts, overhead squats, standing military press and bent over barbell rows and i barely ached. I seriousley rinsed it out!

Kinda weird not to ache, think its time to switch it out? I've been working on this routine now for about 5/6 weeks.
RDMC
+736|6563|Area 51

baggs wrote:

REALLY spunked it on Wednesday at the gym with 150kg deadlifts, 80kg stiff leag deadlifts, overhead squats, standing military press and bent over barbell rows and i barely ached. I seriousley rinsed it out!

Kinda weird not to ache, think its time to switch it out? I've been working on this routine now for about 5/6 weeks.
Been reading on some articles and they recommend that you keep switching it up, because your body will get used to your workout routine.
HaiBai
ive been reading too, they suggest that eating healthy will help you gain muscles!!
baggs
+732|6202
hey Polish, why the round face?

glad to see you're still contributing to this thread and the forums in general.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

SonderKommando wrote:

sexecuti0ner wrote:

Thanks

Do you use a belt when lifting?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6754|Scotland

baggs wrote:

Switch up now.

But aching shouldn't be normal. Ever. Only after your first/second workout when your body is adapting to the use of the muscles in that way. Aching is a sign that your muscles haven't fully recovered from the workout and are in need of protein. Either that or your technique is wrong.

I rarely get muscle aches (and I fail all the time if I'm pushing myself) because I allow a good recovery meal (protein + energy) and decent sleep. If you aren't doing that then you're not getting much out of the workout.
HaiBai

baggs wrote:

hey Polish, why the round face?

glad to see you're still contributing to this thread and the forums in general.
who are you?
baggs
+732|6202

Zimmer wrote:

baggs wrote:

Switch up now.

But aching shouldn't be normal. Ever. Only after your first/second workout when your body is adapting to the use of the muscles in that way. Aching is a sign that your muscles haven't fully recovered from the workout and are in need of protein. Either that or your technique is wrong.

I rarely get muscle aches (and I fail all the time if I'm pushing myself) because I allow a good recovery meal (protein + energy) and decent sleep. If you aren't doing that then you're not getting much out of the workout.
Well, aching was probably the wrong word to use, i'd been awake about 20 hours by the point i'd written that post and had done a 11hr shift at work.

Muscle soreness is the word i should have used.
lrishpride
+68|5146
All my lower half of my body is aching/inured. Knee is fucked, got football stud full force on to my little toe today, and I've just slipped going up the stairs and fucked my back up....

fml
Home
Section.80
+447|6846|Seattle, Washington, USA

11 Bravo wrote:

should i do incline then flat the next time or just do flat?  or incline?

i dunno
You should do both, but I did read an (t-nation? I can't remember the source) article about which chest exercise was most effective. They hooked EKG readers (or whatever they're called, the things that measure the "electrical" energy being used by your muscle) up to a test groups chests and had them do various exercises. The incline bench consistently had the highest readings, meaning theoretically it was pushing the muscle the hardest and causing more opportunity for growth, so you should definitely do at least some incline.

What do you guys do about muscle imbalances? I'm getting to the point in benching now where my uneven pecs are becoming pretty noticeable. Should I just do like an extra set of db benching, but only on the lagging side? I have the same problem with my calves and biceps, but those are easier to work on their own. I swear the right side of my body weighs like 10 pounds more god damnit
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.

Home wrote:

What do you guys do about muscle imbalances? I'm getting to the point in benching now where my uneven pecs are becoming pretty noticeable. Should I just do like an extra set of db benching, but only on the lagging side? I have the same problem with my calves and biceps, but those are easier to work on their own. I swear the right side of my body weighs like 10 pounds more god damnit
Personally i have no idea (you might try to find some kinesiology major or somebody like that) but I feel like it's risky doing extra sets on only one side. I get the feeling if you continue to do dual sided sets (barbell instead of dumbbell) then you eventually even out. If the weaker side is harder to do then it's getting more work and will grow faster? I dunno that's what my common sense tells me but it's certainly been wrong before.
Home
Section.80
+447|6846|Seattle, Washington, USA

Yeah that's what I thought too. I thought maybe I could hold the same weight in each hand, but only actually do the reps on one side? I don't know.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
Maybe, but I wouldn't do it for too long. A couple of weeks maybe. If youre doing dual handed lifting like with a bar instead of dumbbells it seems like it would HAVE to even out at some point. Again, this is speculation.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney
Missed two workouts in a row, Wednesday might be able to get one in but Friday is pretty much not gonna happen
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
how inclined are your guys' bench when you do incline press and the like? I have mine fairly low (the second rung past flat and the first rung - maybe 30 degrees?) I never really thought about how much it could effect what you're working. I'm thinking for mainly db bench press. I do flat barbell BP but for the DB's I was curious.

Last edited by pirana6 (2011-03-21 01:38:03)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney
I think 45 degrees is the norm. At least, that's what the instructional vids seem to have it at, and how I've had it when I've done inclines.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-03-21 01:09:37)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard