Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6727|SE London

Jay wrote:

Berster, weren't you one of the morons justifying the release of the Lockerbie bomber last year?
I still do advocate it, because I don't think he did it. Gaddafi was behind it, but the evidence against him in the trial was shockingly weak and lots of very important bits of evidence were completely left out. The organisation formed by the British families of the victims also supported his release for the same reason.

He was a scapegoat.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5504|London, England
looks like a Monday in Iraq circa 2004
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6145|...
If anything I feel this is a war for public opinion, it's an opportunity to improve relations with the rest of the ME, handed to us on a silver platter.

On the other hand, if we didn't, it would worsen - and subsequently have an effect on the progress we're trying to make in Iraq/Afghanistan.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

If anything I feel this is a war for public opinion, it's an opportunity to improve relations with the rest of the ME, handed to us on a silver platter.

On the other hand, if we didn't, it would worsen - and subsequently have an effect on the progress we're trying to make in Iraq/Afghanistan.
and I'm not pissing on the efforts of your militaries troops. Im pissing on hypocrites that do mental gymnastics to justify their position. The same morons that spent years protesting the Iraq war are now cool with intervention.

Last edited by Jay (2011-03-19 13:46:21)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6145|...
That's because they're ignorant douchebags, who knew?
inane little opines
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6727|SE London

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

and I'm not pissing on the efforts of your militaries troops. Im pissing on hypocrites that do mental gymnastics to justify their position. The same morons that spent years protesting the Iraq war are now cool with intervention.
It's pretty simple, Iraq no international consensus, action not intiated by Iraqis - whereas in Libya there is international consensus and the revolution has been initiated by the Libyans themselves and they are being provided with support.

Are those differences not clear and distinct enough for you? Do you not get the difference?

Unilateral military action = bad
Internationally sanctioned intervention = not bad

Last edited by Bertster7 (2011-03-19 13:52:09)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6145|...
Bertster, Saddam HAD to go. You can complain all you want about the timing of the invasion, but it sure as hell wasn't without reason.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Bertster7 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

It's pretty simple, Iraq no international consensus, action not intiated by Iraqis - whereas in Libya there is international consensus and the revolution has been initiated by the Libyans themselves and they are being provided with support.

Are those differences not clear and distinct enough for you? Do you not get the difference?
There's no difference apart from superficial ones. You're a hypocrite.
-Frederick Bastiat
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6727|SE London

Shocking wrote:

Bertster, Saddam HAD to go. You can complain all you want about the timing of the invasion, but it sure as hell wasn't without reason.
I don't dispute Saddam was a cunt and that removing him was a positive, but the process was all wrong.

It was handled completely wrong, whereas this is being handled properly.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6727|SE London

Jay wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Jay wrote:

There are huge differences. Hence the diplomatic shitstorm surrounding Iraq and the complete lack of any opposition to this response.

If you can't see the clear differences, then you clearly have no grasp of how international diplomacy works.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6145|...
Well, can't really argue much with that. Clinton did the "no fly zone" thing in 1998 though, didn't really work with Saddam.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Bertster7 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

There are huge differences. Hence the diplomatic shitstorm surrounding Iraq and the complete lack of any opposition to this response.

If you can't see the clear differences, then you clearly have no grasp of how international diplomacy works.
oh yeah? Both actions came with security council endorsement. The only difference is we now have a liberal president so you dickwads cant scream about imperialism.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
When it's "your side" doing the government toppling and nation building I suppose it's bad form to protest.
-Frederick Bastiat
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6727|SE London

Jay wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Jay wrote:

oh yeah? Both actions came with security council endorsement. The only difference is we now have a liberal president so you dickwads cant scream about imperialism.
No they didn't. There was no specific authorisation for using force in Iraq from the security council.

If ground troops go in to Libya, that would be in breach of this resolution and I would certainly oppose that, unless they get another resolution first.
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6592|Amsterdam‫
twitter

Libyan state television reports French aircraft has been shot down over Libya. No independent confirmation of this claim yet.

i call BS

Last edited by menzo (2011-03-19 14:02:40)

https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6145|...

Bertster7 wrote:

No they didn't. There was no specific authorisation for using force in Iraq from the security council.

If ground troops go in to Libya, that would be in breach of this resolution and I would certainly oppose that, unless they get another resolution first.
Remember the colin powell presentation in front of the UN? (almost) Full support.

Last edited by Shocking (2011-03-19 14:03:10)

inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Bertster7 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Is your brain getting tired yet?
-Frederick Bastiat
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6727|SE London

Shocking wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Remember the colin powell presentation in front of the UN? (almost) Full support.
Full support for condemnation of Saddam.

Remember the text of resolution 1441? No support for military action.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6727|SE London

menzo wrote:

twitter

Libyan state television reports French aircraft has been shot down over Libya. No independent confirmation of this claim yet.

i call BS
Of course it's BS. Just like the claims that they are honouring the ceasefire or that the revolution is due to hallucinogenic drugs in yoghurt....

*edit* French have denied that any of their aircraft have been shot down.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2011-03-19 14:35:06)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6145|...
What about the russian invasion of Georgia? The UN didn't approve.

Which is funny by the way because the UN doesn't really approve of anything that doesn't serve western interests

Last edited by Shocking (2011-03-19 14:14:33)

inane little opines
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6727|SE London

Shocking wrote:

What about the russian invasion of Georgia? The UN didn't approve.

Which is funny by the way because the UN doesn't really approve of anything that doesn't serve western interests
Security council resolution against that was hardly likely was it?
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6145|...
Then if you supported the invasion of Georgia by the russians although they had no UN backing, why do you make it a point that a security council resolution should have been required for Iraq?
inane little opines
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6727|SE London

Shocking wrote:

Then if you supported the invasion of Georgia by the russians although they had no UN backing, why do you make it a point that a security council resolution should have been required for Iraq?
I didn't support it. I condemned it.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6145|...
I distinctly remember just a month ago you agreed to Georgia being offenders of human rights in regard to S-Ossetia, I brought that up in the Israel/Palestine thread.

You realise this yet did not approve of the Russian invasion? Then what the hell were they supposed to do, just bitch in the UN for eternity while people are getting slapped around? They knew there was no way they could've gotten UN security council support because 3 out of 5 permanent members would never agree.

Last edited by Shocking (2011-03-19 14:28:32)

inane little opines
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6887|OctoLand
Damn, this shit is escalating pretty quickly, Gadaffi is going down.
I know fucking karate

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard