kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6835|Bryan/College Station, TX
First let me express my thanks for sharing these sneak previews and insights with us. I am very glad that this community has the connections to get this kind of preview from EA/DICE. Just another perk in a long lasting relationship with BF2S.com. Now on to my comments.

I believe the review hit the nail on the head when it comes to BF2142.  With inovative game play and new models as well and customizable soldiers we have crossed the line into an FPS that is suedo-RPG. With the many unlocks, upgradable weapons and choice in what you can equipment yourself with you can truely become a veteran in a nitch. Now assuming (BIG assumption here) that you have a team that works together you then can have people filling roles and acceling in them. For example a team equiped and trained/practiced in destroying Mechs. They've trained for it and they execute as a squad should against a particular platform. Infantry combat is alway important so it's not like they just sit there for most of the game. But when your team is getting taken out by a Mech then this squad can really shine. I like that potential aspect of this game. This is what most appeals to me.

Secondly I feel that the Titan mode is a shout out to Assault Mode in UT2004 and some other games as well. To be able to finish a goal, in this case taking a capture point, and then going on to the next one. This give sequence to the game which it lacked. Now if they could just put in node capture lines like in UT2004 where you have to take certain strategic locations before you are able to branch out. That would add a HUGE bonus to the game and another exciting game mode.

Thirdly I like the addition of the automated units, the SL Recon/Assault drones and the Support classes's Auto-tracking Stationary Guns. What this makes me think of immediately is the classic Team Fortress without all the wonky zero grav. bomb enhanced jumping and other general weirdness of the game. What it does however is give each class and their own unique player induced specialties the ability to function in different ways instead of just shooting and throwing bags around. Now they can think a bit more and add cover fire from defendable locations or put traps in commonly traveled cooridors. With the recon drones and those handheld enemy detectors I'm certain moving about and hiding will be harder to do. I can only assume that these units take place of the UAV?

So a few questions for Chuy and Afrojap or Voodoo or Markus or anyone who played the preview game. Please include the question when you answer so that people can reference the answer to the question easily. Thanks in advance.

1. I notice little numbers 1,2,3 etc  with circles around them when in game. I notice that the circle completes itself or at least looks like it does. What is this for? Is this to show how close a capture point is to being taken by the enemy or your team?

2. How does these little handheld detectors actually work? And is there a UAV in the game? Does the recon drone show all enemy in the immediate area around the squad leader like a smaller UAV?

3. I noticed the sniper rifle (which the scope looks awesome btw) and I wonder this. You have two pictures one showing an object and then another showing it closer than before. Was that after you moved or does this mean sniper rifles will finally have multiple zoom modes, i.e.  x5 and x10?

4. I saw Afrojaps failed slam dunk into the undercarriage of the Titan. Is there a way when in the APC to look up so you can know when to eject the pod? You mentioned pressing F3 and Right click to launch the pod. Does this mean each marine launches on their own accord or does the pilot launch them? Also does the APC have the ability to look upward as well to see the trajectory of the pod launch? Obviously they would miss if the APC pilot doesn't get into position accurately.

5. EMP Pulse bombs that the APC launched didn't seem to do much to the Mech that it hit. So how much use is that EMP Pulse bomb if it only lasts a couple of seconds? Kind of silly really if that's all it does. Also even though the APC looked like it was firing MG rounds I'm going to assume that those rounds actually hurt the Mechs and other Armor/APCs?

6. You mention that the Helicopter/Jet vehicles was hard to control. First off just to clarify, is there still only two flying units the Transport and the Gunship (Not including the Titan)?  Do they both fly the same way via controls (obviously handling would be different)?  Also can you go into more detail about how the gunship flies? Is it simply because they changed the way it operates and much like the learning curve for people going from BF:Vietnam to BF2 when flying helicopters or more recently the learning curve everyone bitched about when trying to fly the Euro Chopper.

7. So how was the SL deploying a beacon and spawning on the beacon? Was the becon pretty obvious to see when deployed? How easy is it to be destroyed? Do you spawn directly ON the beacon or in a proximity around the beacon? Can you deploy another beacon if one is already deployed? Or do you have to destroy the old one first?

8. Did anyone play commander and if so tell us how is it. Same? Different? How is piloting the Titan?

And as a random comment. The Shotgun add on beneath the Assault Rifle instead of a GL is Awesome. Finally!

Those are my comments and my questions. I hope you guys can get to them and answer them. I am very very curious to know a bit more about the game play. Thanks again for all your hard work.

SUPPORT THE BF2S.COM COMMUNITY. DIGG IT!!

Edited addon: FYI I also submitted the article to slashdot.org  if it gets picked up then you will have some serious hits from that site as well.

Cheers.

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2006-05-13 02:17:01)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Poncho
and I'm not a raincoat...
+91|6699|NL
I'm sorry but I find the movie not very informative. I saw like only 5 things which were filmed bad too....

Reckless driving, hit-and-run, shooting people in the back, attacking harmless trees and shooting (afro)junk in the air.  ...lol
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!

Poncho wrote:

I'm sorry but I find the movie not very informative. I saw like only 5 things which were filmed bad too....

Reckless driving, hit-and-run, shooting people in the back, attacking harmless trees and shooting (afro)junk in the air.  ...lol
Yea it wasn't the best but it did wet our whistles a bit. I got more info out of the screenshot jpg. If you guys could answer some of my questions in my previous post with some actual video footage a bit slower so we can see them better that would great.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
The1_Knightmare
Alt+F4 For God-Mode
+14|6617
The circles are the Missile Silo countdown. What you do is capture one of them, and defend it until the timer reachs 0. A missile will hit the Titan, reducing it's shield level so that you can get on.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6839|"Frisco"

kilroy0097 wrote:

I can only assume that these units take place of the UAV?
One of the units is defensive (auto gun turret thing) and one is a UAV replacement

kilroy0097 wrote:

1. I notice little numbers 1,2,3 etc  with circles around them when in game. I notice that the circle completes itself or at least looks like it does. What is this for? Is this to show how close a capture point is to being taken by the enemy or your team?
In Titan mode (see screenshots) there are three missle bases. You move to the base, cap it (very fast, 10 seconds or so) then a timer starts. At the end of the timer you launch a missle at the enemy base and reduces their titan's shields. After X missles you can then board their titan.

You don't need to be onsite for the missle to countdown/launch, but it gets taken and restarted for the enemy very quickly.

kilroy0097 wrote:

2. How does these little handheld detectors actually work? And is there a UAV in the game? Does the recon drone show all enemy in the immediate area around the squad leader like a smaller UAV?
It's the same size as the UAV, but you can only run a 3 x 360 sweep every minute or so by activating it with the handheld.

kilroy0097 wrote:

3. I noticed the sniper rifle (which the scope looks awesome btw) and I wonder this. You have two pictures one showing an object and then another showing it closer than before. Was that after you moved or does this mean sniper rifles will finally have multiple zoom modes, i.e.  x5 and x10?
Multiple zooms. Alternate fire twice to get closer zoom.

kilroy0097 wrote:

4. I saw Afrojaps failed slam dunk into the undercarriage of the Titan. Is there a way when in the APC to look up so you can know when to eject the pod? You mentioned pressing F3 and Right click to launch the pod. Does this mean each marine launches on their own accord or does the pilot launch them? Also does the APC have the ability to look upward as well to see the trajectory of the pod launch? Obviously they would miss if the APC pilot doesn't get into position accurately.
I don't recall being able to prefire look at my trajectory in any of the seats. Each marine chooses when to launch (you enter F3-F6 and get a primary gun for shooting, and alt fire for launching.)

kilroy0097 wrote:

5. EMP Pulse bombs that the APC launched didn't seem to do much to the Mech that it hit. So how much use is that EMP Pulse bomb if it only lasts a couple of seconds? Kind of silly really if that's all it does. Also even though the APC looked like it was firing MG rounds I'm going to assume that those rounds actually hurt the Mechs and other Armor/APCs?
They last about 10-15 seconds during which the drivers view gets messy (at the end of the clip of me shooting those off you see the effect) and the mobility of the vehicle becomes severly reduced. (To the point where you can force chopper-jets to the ground.)

kilroy0097 wrote:

6. You mention that the Helicopter/Jet vehicles was hard to control. First off just to clarify, is there still only two flying units the Transport and the Gunship (Not including the Titan)?  Do they both fly the same way via controls (obviously handling would be different)?  Also can you go into more detail about how the gunship flies? Is it simply because they changed the way it operates and much like the learning curve for people going from BF:Vietnam to BF2 when flying helicopters or more recently the learning curve everyone bitched about when trying to fly the Euro Chopper.
There were only attack chopper-jets in the demo, but there might be transports later.

If you are familiar with the Harrier jet, this is how the chopper is set up. The side jets start facing down, then as you pick up speed, they level out. So, while it looks like a chopper, pivots like a chopper, and is equiped like a chopper -- after a certain speed, it becomes a jet (banking and all)

kilroy0097 wrote:

7. So how was the SL deploying a beacon and spawning on the beacon? Was the becon pretty obvious to see when deployed? How easy is it to be destroyed? Do you spawn directly ON the beacon or in a proximity around the beacon? Can you deploy another beacon if one is already deployed? Or do you have to destroy the old one first?
Not sure, didn't play with that too much. The number of spawnable places seemed a little rediculous (like, APC's with squad mates were spawn points -- regardless of leader/member status.)

kilroy0097 wrote:

8. Did anyone play commander and if so tell us how is it. Same? Different? How is piloting the Titan?
No. You must have at least ONE rank to play as commander it seems and since the stat system was offline/not-working/not-implemented/disabled no one had rank, nor could earn it.

kilroy0097 wrote:

And as a random comment. The Shotgun add on beneath the Assault Rifle instead of a GL is Awesome. Finally!
Fun toy indeed.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6839|"Frisco"

kilroy0097 wrote:

Poncho wrote:

Yea it wasn't the best but it did wet our whistles a bit. I got more info out of the screenshot jpg. If you guys could answer some of my questions in my previous post with some actual video footage a bit slower so we can see them better that would great.
Yeah. My bad, I was going to fraps the whole day, but I forgot my hard drive >
*ToRRo*cT|
Spanish Sniper-Wh0re
+199|6735|Malaga, España
Mmmm....BF2142 sounds like i need to get a State of the art new system to run that

So Chuy how are the graphics like?
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6636
yeha i'll wait for the demo to come out and see for myself how the game works and compare it to others on the market when it comes out see how it stacks up.
General.ly gravy
+4|6703
well done you lucky lucky boys
i would have given an ear to go E3

i think thyey shoul should have changed the game engine but i will give it a try anyway
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6636

General.ly gravy wrote:

well done you lucky lucky boys
i would have given an ear to go E3

i think thyey shoul should have changed the game engine but i will give it a try anyway
give an ear lol ... I wouldnt go that far lol but impressed what some people would do

Last edited by blademaster (2006-05-13 03:41:26)

andy12
Banned
+52|6648
Anyone who would like to put it on a host like putfile of google video that would be greatly appreciated.
MURcarnage
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
+86|6649|San Francisco, CA

*ToRRo*cT| wrote:

Mmmm....BF2142 sounds like i need to get a State of the art new system to run that

So Chuy how are the graphics like?
http://bf2s.com/2142/

check the under the negative aspects of the game. MEow!
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6556|Area 51
Looks like BF2 but with weapons upgrades, thats all
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

RDMC(2) wrote:

Looks like BF2 but with weapons upgrades, thats all
and u can use old bf2 stats... thats gonna be uber stat padding going on. i think the bf2 experiment theory is kinda true, dice sees how much ppl will be pissed at it whilst bf2142 is the uber version

lets see what kinda expansion packs theyll make

2142: mechwhorior
2142: statpadder galore

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6693|New York
Why didnt they just call it Terminator4?  Thats about all it is.

Bummed, Waiting on BF3
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6797|Portland, OR, USA

I'll buy it the day it comes out, but it'll probably be the same kinda thing as BF2 -- i.e. designed for the noob pubber rather than the skilled match player.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!

Viper007Bond wrote:

I'll buy it the day it comes out, but it'll probably be the same kinda thing as BF2 -- i.e. designed for the noob pubber rather than the skilled match player.
While the game is easy to grasp and easy to participate in as well as the intial learning curve is rather easy I would hardly say the entire game is designed for the noob pubber. In fact I see a lot of clans that are absolutely killer clans. The Elite squad groups of OG and 101st just to name two. I believe you put skilled mature players in the game together without any idiots and you have an amazing and difficult modern combat FPS.

Seriously Viper you must be pissed off about the game right now to say such a blanket and encompassing statement.
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6742
about the graphics, afrojap mentioned in "An Insiders Perspective" that they are "Clearly not next-gen". I am hoping that something can be done about this before it is released because there is a lot about "next-gen" right now and would hate for the Battlefield name to fall behind the times.

Obviously EA/DICE have said that they want to make the game so it is accessible for as many people as possible because they want people to be able to play the game first and this is what they have been able to do best.

I think that if the graphics do not improve though, the game will still be great and dont think too many people will complain once they are hooked to the game and able to play it with out any graphical lag.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!

theDude5B wrote:

about the graphics, afrojap mentioned in "An Insiders Perspective" that they are "Clearly not next-gen". I am hoping that something can be done about this before it is released because there is a lot about "next-gen" right now and would hate for the Battlefield name to fall behind the times.

Obviously EA/DICE have said that they want to make the game so it is accessible for as many people as possible because they want people to be able to play the game first and this is what they have been able to do best.

I think that if the graphics do not improve though, the game will still be great and dont think too many people will complain once they are hooked to the game and able to play it with out any graphical lag.
From what knowledge I have of the technology sector at this time there are a few things that are holding back a truely forward jump in graphics. Essentially the hardware.

First you have the video card itself. While the Nvidia Geforce 7900 GTX 512mb or the Radeon x1900 XTX 512mb cards are massively impressive in their own rights, they are often way out of the league of your normal mainstream users who make up the vast majority of the consumer market. There are stunningly beautiful games out there but even with these massive cards they still tax them enough to get about 20fps at times. Oblivion to name one such game. 

I truely believe that DICE can produce games that have better graphics but it would be harder on the graphics card, on the processor and it would take them much longer to code the game. They for some reason (insert pressure from EA here) didn't want to wait for BF2142 to be released later and so they are using the BF2 engine with some graphical cleanup. Essentially I dont' think DICE has progressed as far as Epic (Unreal), Valve (Half Life/CS), iD (Quake), Monolith (FEAR) or even Activision (Call of Duty) when it comes to visual style and impressive graphics. I think that this is something that DICE really needs to address if they want to stay in the market in the next generation of games. They already have the ideas behind the game now they just need some better people working for them. Better artists, renderers, graphical programers and they need a better quality control to put the game together with fewer errors.

But I mentioned hardware before... well that comes in two waves. Video processor to make it pretty and the CPU processor to pump out the physics and positioning. Already BF2 gives us something no FPS has ever done which is put so many people on the same map with so many vehicles and physics going on simultaneously. This is why in maps like Iron Gator everything slows down quite a bit. So many physics happening in such a small area. Effects, projectiles, audio presentation etc. If we added better graphics to this then it might be too much for "most" players to be able to play. Am I saying that there isn't some fault from DICE in this? No, because I fully believe that DICE can and should produce a slightly better game when it comes to visual quality however I understand why they are limited.

Why is BF2142 not the next gen game? Because they want to try out a new genre and see how it plays out. Believe you me this is not going to be the last Battlefield and when Battlefield 3 comes out it's going to blow us out of the water.  Things like Dual or Quad core processor support, 4 or 8Gb memory usage, Dual core or even faster video cards with newer OpenGL or DirectX drivers and of course having to tailor BF3 to Windows Vista or whatever OS is out at that time. Oh and should I mention that the first PCI slotted deticated physics card was released? Although it's crappy right now it presents a very interesting look at the future of gaming. Imagine how much faster everything will be when games are specifically programed to take advantage of a deticated physics card leaving the Processor(s) to deal with everything else and the Video card to happily do what it's suppose to do.  We are the edge of another jump in gaming technologies.

So just think of BF2142 as their experiment into a different genre, FPS slated with Sci-Fi. Call it another expansion pack if you will. Then stay tuned for BF3 which will be the real next generation game for DICE. Lets just hope DICE gets a better collection of staff for that project.

Cheers.
tthf
Member 5307
+210|6749|06-01
whoa, nice one kilroy0097!
oberst_enzian
+234|6734|melb.au

chuyskywalker wrote:

oberst_enzian wrote:

neither qt nor any other of my vid programs can play the .mov. is there a specific codec i need to grab or something?
Quicktime 6.5 or greater. It uses the H.264 codec.
ahh, thank you very much for letting me know! now i can check it out. cheers.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6839|"Frisco"

Kilroy: OpenlGL -- heh, you're funny. As much as I am a fan there, not gonna happen.

Also, yeah 2142 is *not* a major graphical upgrade. Some reviews/interviews they've said they did "massive updates" -- and perhaps they did. But don't think "upgrades" think "optimizations". If anything the game should run smoother and faster while looking about the same or just a little better.

Also, if you want to see some really next-gen stuff, check out the Crysis trailers. These are things BF3 will NEED or will fail:

- collision environments
- soft particles
- advanced, high-detailed shaders (look at the faces at the end, omgwtfhax!)
- real time soft shadows with raytracing, bounce light and diffuse lighting. (wow, just...wow)
- volumentric lighting and objects (think clouds -- flying THROUGH clouds? badass)

THAT'S stuff you will not see in 2142 -- BF3 though, for sure. (It is also my very educated guess that BF3 is NOT going to be a future mod -- maybe slight future, but more like bf2 than 2142. God I hope so...)
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6697|Antarctica
Oh, one thing I forgot to ask: will BF2 stats carry over?  Because that would be super stupid...
tF-afrojap
+124|6838|SF
Here’s how I felt about the graphics.
BF2 has solid graphics, and it's still is a beautiful game on a decent gfx configuration. I can appreciate it more now that I’ve looked at the textures maps and realized how efficiently textures are utilized in this game. It really is a work of art. I think my comment in the graphics section in the review was pretty harsh, but when you look at 2142’s upcoming competitors, I felt that the gfx did fall short in comparison. This is a different thing from where my comfort zone is, and like I said, I would be perfectly happy with BF2 gfx.. which brings me to my next point,

The main grudge I have about 2142’s development is that it looses focus, and waters down the series.. BF2 is such a fun game, and still has a lot of untapped potential. As an end consumer, I would have easily paid the 2142 price tag for a map pack (maybe 5-8 new maps) with some solid patches for BF2 vanilla. I would expect some new content in this new map pack, but this would not be such an undertaking as developing a new title since all the game assets are already there. Production costs would be lower, and the rest of the team could be focusing on R&D for the REAL sequel. If this was the case we would have a deeper and more diverse BF2 experience, and earlier delivery of the sequel (since we are getting rid of the intermediate product.). This is just my wish as an end consumer, and I’m sure DICE’s current strategy makes more sense from a marketing standpoint.. just my 2c. We still love your work DICE, keep it up!
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6832|Cologne, Germany

I have to say, I wasn't very happy with the first screenshots and the trailer, but the video of the ingame footage really presented a totally new game after all. I certainly think it's more than just a Sci-Fi version BF2.

Should be fun to play. Still, we will have to wait for a playable MP demo to see wether it's worth buying.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard