Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5332|Sydney

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Really? I think I'm just going to book flights and accom separate as the flights won't be return. As for the coke, well... maybe I might get lucky and find some random. Never really tried it properly before, too expensive here so I figure when in Rome...
just be careful of the usual street riffraff.  I once bought a limestone/quartz rock in vegas for $20 hahaha
Ouch... is it usually a rock or powder?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6651

if it was quartz, it was rock.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Yes, but typically when bought, is it in a little bag or is it a rock? Just don't want to get caught out with an actual rock, lol.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6651

then you eat it. you go to a holding cell, high as a kite . . .

lol. j/k. when i used to score it'd be a 'bindle', a paper folded in a square.

i go to Vegas 3/4 times a year, and couldn't tell you what was what about railing, because i once sniffed my house, my car, my girlfriend, my west side of town up my nose. and then i learned how to drop the base out of it and smoke it.

today, i drink a little, and have a good time. i don't want to lose another house, car, wife, 6K photo equip, etc to a habit. i like Vegas, because i can tell it to fuck off now.

the best plan when visiting Vegas is to have a loose plan, enjoy the days/nights as they come, and keep your money close.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,054|6776|Little Bentcock

burnzz wrote:

then you eat it. you go to a holding cell, high as a kite . . .

lol. j/k. when i used to score it'd be a 'bindle', a paper folded in a square.

i go to Vegas 3/4 times a year, and couldn't tell you what was what about railing, because i once sniffed my house, my car, my girlfriend, my west side of town up my nose. and then i learned how to drop the base out of it and smoke it.

today, i drink a little, and have a good time. i don't want to lose another house, car, wife, 6K photo equip, etc to a habit. i like Vegas, because i can tell it to fuck off now.

the best plan when visiting Vegas is to have a loose plan, enjoy the days/nights as they come, and keep your money close.
and cum buckets.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Sound advice. I don't know where to get coke here (sure I could if I tried) but it costs $350 a gram, no joke. Plus if I do it overseas, I can leave it overseas, so to speak. If it doesn't eventuate, no biggie. Just thought it'd be something I could try where I can actually afford it.

As far as tipping goes, what's the recommendation there? It's not very common practice here but I understand it happens everywhere in the US.
Adams_BJ
isn't it like 12-13% or something? To offset some tax?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6870

Adams_BJ wrote:

isn't it like 12-13% or something? To offset some tax?
in nyc its 15% by day 20% by night.

most places are 15%
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
So if I go 15% everywhere I go, that's the convention? Don't want to come across as insulting but I don't want to throw my money away either.

And what do I tip for, other than the obvious like cabs, drinks, porterage, meals? And how much does a porter generally get tipped?

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-03-13 22:19:03)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6870

Jaekus wrote:

So if I go 15% everywhere I go, that's the convention? Don't want to come across as insulting but I don't want to throw my money away either.

And what do I tip for, other than the obvious like cabs, drinks, porterage, meals? And how much does a porter generally get tipped?
Yeah it's usually 15% for everything. for bell boys i tip them like 10 bucks. fuck that i already pay for the hotel fees loooooooool.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
So $5 is insulting? I did that job for a while, it was shit, and I almost never got tips. Even had an American once who was going to tip me, then his mate said "we're in Australia, you don't have to tip here". Bastard. Being a valet was pretty cool though.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6870

Jaekus wrote:

So $5 is insulting? I did that job for a while, it was shit, and I almost never got tips. Even had an American once who was going to tip me, then his mate said "we're in Australia, you don't have to tip here". Bastard. Being a valet was pretty cool though.
It'd be ill advised, but 10 bucks seems about right. i mean 10 bucks to do something i could do myself.

actually in vegas im not too sure, 5 bucks might be ok. i was only tipping when i was in NYC and they tip mad there.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6755|132 and Bush

Sales tax in Florida is 7%.. so I usually just double whatever the tax is and throw a little bit on top =15%. If it's a top notch restaurant or something I'll triple the tax and take a little off .. = 20%
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Adams_BJ
carry your own bags, save the hastle
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6786|949

tips for alcohol - generally a dollar a drink, more if you have a big tab run up
tips for bellboys, hotel staff, etc that help with physical labor - $5 is fine
food tips - 15% is standard

Jaekus wrote:

wtf"dont have to tip here" smart as a stack of sticks
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

tips for alcohol - generally a dollar a drink, more if you have a big tab run up
Awesome, thanks.

So my global romaing is fucking expensive ($0.20 per 10kb ). I think getting a pre-paid sim would be much better way to go.

Anyone recommend who to go with for good coverage and data? Mainly so I can use the GPS on my iPhone, upload a few pics here and there, brag to my friends back home... the usual
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney

Kmar wrote:

Sales tax in Florida is 7%.. so I usually just double whatever the tax is and throw a little bit on top =15%. If it's a top notch restaurant or something I'll triple the tax and take a little off .. = 20%
So if I'm paying by credit card do I just say add 15% or whatever, or just tell them the final amount?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6870

Jaekus wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Awesome, thanks.

So my global romaing is fucking expensive ($0.20 per 10kb ). I think getting a pre-paid sim would be much better way to go.

Anyone recommend who to go with for good coverage and data? Mainly so I can use the GPS on my iPhone, upload a few pics here and there, brag to my friends back home... the usual
dont get global roaming... prepaid sim is way to go. i remember when i went to the states, sent some necessary texts and calls. ended with 300 dollar phone bill in a country where min wage is 600 a month. gg.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Yeah, so should I get one with AT&T? Can I pick one up really easily? They sell pre-paid sims at the supermarket here, lol

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-03-14 00:15:27)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6755|132 and Bush

Jaekus wrote:

Kmar wrote:

So if I'm paying by credit card do I just say add 15% or whatever, or just tell them the final amount?
Usually two lines.. one for tip, one for total. Make sure they don't auto add gratuity (some places do) .. you don't want to end up tipping twice.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Ok... how can I check that? Just says it on the bill?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6870

Jaekus wrote:

Ok... how can I check that? Just says it on the bill?
You write how much you tip, and you write another for how much total just to make sure.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Sweet, thanks.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6803

Tipping is pretty easy to get the hang of.

I generally tip 20% at restaurants, partly because it's easier math and partly because I'm doing my bit to dispel the image of Brits being shitty tippers.
At the bar its in your advantage to tip well; it means you'll get served faster on the next round. So tip $5-10 on the first drink, then after that $2 per drink.
Other than that, it's just a couple of dollars here and there. The waitresses that give out free drinks to gamblers I just give $1 per drink, if they're really quick/constantly getting you drinks I'll up it to $2. The guys that run the line for cabs just give a dollar to, BUT at the end of the night when it's really busy and you've got a half hour wait to get home, slip them a $20 to jump the line.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard