ghettoperson
+1,943|6803

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Doing some research, NY has three airports yeah? Which one should I look to fly in to, or doesn't it matter?
JFK would be preferable if you're planning to visit NYC.

Yeah as everyone said, buy your seats a lot earlier, saves around 3-400 bucks.
Newark is just as far from Manhattan as JFK.

Reciprocity wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to get there a couple days before the wedding and then we'll probably leave on the Monday. So maybe 4 nights.
unless you've got money to burn you're gonna get bored fast.  I can't take vegas nevada for more than a couple days at a time.
I don't know, I think he'll be ok. Hang out at pools during the day, and see a show or go to a club at night. You need a bit of cash, but it's not *that* bad.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5332|Sydney
I'll be with my mate and his friends, I don't think we'll get bored. I can party pretty hard too...

I'm looking into accom options in NY. Found a place in Queens called The Verve, apparently it's decent and reasonably priced. Not too far from Manhattan via subway? I'd imagine staying in Manhattan itself would be uber expensive.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6803

From what everyone tells me, Manhattan hotels are awful anyway, even the really expensive ones. They're all tiny. So yeah, I'd say stay in either Queens or Brooklyn.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5855|College Park, MD
nah the Swissotel is very nice

so is the doubletree at Times Square

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2011-03-13 06:36:09)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
ghettoperson
+1,943|6803

Perhaps, this was in comparison to Vegas hotel rooms though, which are all a decent size and really cheap in comparison.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Yeah there seems to be lots of good hotels for cheap in Vegas.
There seems to be lots of decent hotels for fuckloads in NY.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into places around Queens/Brooklyn. Not to far from the airport there either.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5391|Cleveland, Ohio
dunno how NY city got this myth that it so cool and fun.  its way overpriced and downright annoying tbh.  get more bang for your buck and prolly more fun in chicago or vegas tbh.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6870

11 Bravo wrote:

dunno how NY city got this myth that it so cool and fun.  its way overpriced and downright annoying tbh.  get more bang for your buck and prolly more fun in chicago or vegas tbh.
NYC is a good place if you love big cities and buildings. but yeah it's fucking expensive to visit as well.

Jaekus: if you want to go to any nice resturants book ahead. You should check out a place called ninja, pretty cheap considering the amount of food for a set menu (NYC prices) 100 bucks for a 7 set course including a 20 ounce steak. really fun place to go to as well.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
11 Bravo
Banned
i love big cities and NY blows.  rather go to san fran or chicago for a big city.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

nah the Swissotel is very nice

so is the doubletree at Times Square
Apparently the Swissotel was demolished in 2006.

The Doubletree looks very nice. 7 nights there starts at $3,500...
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6805|USA

Kmar wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

That's a good point. Would like to catch a band or two whilst I'm there, been thinking about what could be on.

If I had to choose between NY and San Fran, what would you suggest?
I've been to both. New York.. hands down.
second that. If I might add, not sure how you are with nature sight seeing, but while you are here, try and get to Yosemite. I mean if you are gunna spend time in CA. that is a do not miss destination.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

NYC is a good place if you love big cities and buildings. but yeah it's fucking expensive to visit as well.

Jaekus: if you want to go to any nice resturants book ahead. You should check out a place called ninja, pretty cheap considering the amount of food for a set menu (NYC prices) 100 bucks for a 7 set course including a 20 ounce steak. really fun place to go to as well.
Cheers. I'll see if I can get into Dorsia...
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney

lowing wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

That's a good point. Would like to catch a band or two whilst I'm there, been thinking about what could be on.

second that. If I might add, not sure how you are with nature sight seeing, but while you are here, try and get to Yosemite. I mean if you are gunna spend time in CA. that is a do not miss destination.
If I had more money and time I'd love to do CA, but I'm not sure I will. At this stage it's either NY or CA, leaning towards NY.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
If instead I didn't go to NY this time around, what are people's recommendations for California? I'll flying in and out of LA, it'll be cheaper so more spending money. NY would be great but I think it's really going to smash my budget.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6870

Jaekus wrote:

If instead I didn't go to NY this time around, what are people's recommendations for California? I'll flying in and out of LA, it'll be cheaper so more spending money. NY would be great but I think it's really going to smash my budget.
budget wise, dont go to NYC. that place for tourism is good for about 3 days.

if you go to cali, defo go to san fran or san deigo. personally i didn't like LA too much.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
11 Bravo
Banned

Jaekus wrote:

san diego, santa barbara, san fran, santa monica pier (i go there every visit to cali and eat at bubba gumps)
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
'frisco is great
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Yeah I just think I can do more if I skip NY. Instead of $500+ in flights and crazy hotel prices I can get a much cheaper, shorter flight and get more for my money and time. I've always wanted to check out San Fran, mainly because two of my all time favourite musos come from there (Les Claypool and Mike Patton). Heard the music scene there is awesome, would just love to check it out.

What about LA? I'll be there anyway but I've heard mixed reports.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
never been to LA, some people love it some people don't care for it
but SF is the shit
11 Bravo
Banned

Jaekus wrote:

What about LA? I'll be there anyway but I've heard mixed reports.
downtown is downtown...like most places.  but like i said santa monica pier is my personal choice for the LA area.

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2011-03-13 07:22:53)

Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Sounds good. So maybe after Vegas, head on to Phoenix, then a plane to San Fran and spend a week there and then a couple days in LA before heading home.

Also, I was just told Tool are playing on the 31st in LA. Might need to extend the trip by a week
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
if you wanna have good photos and a story to tell, drive the Pacific Coast Highway (California Route 1) from SF to LA.

e: And stop by the boardwalk at Santa Cruz on the way down.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2011-03-13 07:30:28)

Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

if you wanna have good photos and a story to tell, drive the Pacific Coast Highway (California Route 1) from SF to LA.

e: And stop by the boardwalk at Santa Cruz on the way down.
That sounds like a really cool idea, thanks man.

edit: I can rent a Mustang convertible for 30 hours and it'll cost under $300
And that includes the one-way fee

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-03-13 07:45:51)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6651

Kmar wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

i've been to both. new york, but because new york is an awesome place to visit, SF has a lot going for it too. i'd say SF > LA

Reciprocity wrote:

5 days in vegas?
make sure there's a pool, wherever you end up staying. 5 days, in Vegas, before you see anything else - spend the time relaxing during the day, Vegas looks a lot better at night.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Yeah I'm sure we'll get accom with a pool or three.

NY just seems to be logistically be a stress to work out. Time, finances, BIG city by myself... CA on the other hand is a lot cheaper to get to, saves time and I think I can see more of the country that way. Just seems a more chilled way to go, which obviously means more enjoyable.

I looked into how hot it is in Vegas in August, it's about the same as when I was growing up in Perth in Western Australia. No humidity, lots of heat.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard