Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6836|Tampa Bay Florida
Interesting.... saw this link on wikipedia

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie … -22962119/

"Egyptian special forces secretly storm Libya"
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6747|132 and Bush

Arab League asks for no-fly zone over Libya .. http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2011 … ibya_N.htm
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6252|eXtreme to the maX

Shocking wrote:

CNN wrote:

Arab League unanimously backs Libya no-fly zone, asks U.N. Security Council to impose one, Oman's foreign minister says.
I'm a bit confused, why can't they impose one themselves?
To be legal it has to be done through the UN.
I thought we'd been through this already.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5383|Cleveland, Ohio

Dilbert_X wrote:

Shocking wrote:

CNN wrote:

Arab League unanimously backs Libya no-fly zone, asks U.N. Security Council to impose one, Oman's foreign minister says.
I'm a bit confused, why can't they impose one themselves?
To be legal it has to be done through the UN.
I thought we'd been through this already.
dont try and be cute or a smart ass.

he means why cant they provide all the air power and logistics?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No doubt they can, doesn't Saudi Arabia have a reasonable size airforce?
But they need a UNSC resoluion first.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6747|132 and Bush

In fact the article specifically said that the arab leaguge is asking the UN to "shoulder its responsibility". Read the first sentence ffs. They're asking them, the UN to do it. The Arab league says that they can't do it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It depends on what they mean by the wording.
The Arab League can't impose a no-fly zone, that has to be done by the UN.

Who is going to enforce a no-fly zone is a different matter.

The article is badly written TBH, confusing weary and wary for starters.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-03-13 05:51:37)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6747|132 and Bush

Well it sure would be refreshing to see the arab league shoulder the responsibility this time.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6557|'Murka

Saudi could do it. So could the UAE. Kuwait. They've all got the aircraft and training (provided by the West) to do it. They should be itching to show Iran they have the capability to do something on their own.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Commie Killer
+192|6533

FEOS wrote:

Saudi could do it. So could the UAE. Kuwait. They've all got the aircraft and training (provided by the West) to do it. They should be itching to show Iran they have the capability to do something on their own.
More concerned with their own countries and Bahrain, I think all are a little hesitant to get involved anywhere at the moment. Interestingly though, the Saudis did just send troops into Bahrain.
FEOS
+1,182|6557|'Murka

Commie Killer wrote:

FEOS wrote:

More concerned with their own countries and Bahrain, I think all are a little hesitant to get involved anywhere at the moment. Interestingly though, the Saudis did just send troops into Bahrain.
Several countries did. They want to squash that to limit Iran's influence.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Commie Killer
+192|6533
If I were the Saudis I'd be more worried about Iraq, then again, they cant really do much about it. Kudos to them for jumping into Bahrain though.
FEOS
+1,182|6557|'Murka

Commie Killer wrote:

If I were the Saudis I'd be more worried about Iraq, then again, they cant really do much about it. Kudos to them for jumping into Bahrain though.
The Saudis are only worried about Iraq in regards to Iran. It's all about keeping Iran's influence limited.
― Albert Einstein

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6747|132 and Bush

I think time is running out for the rebels.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5383|Cleveland, Ohio

Kmar wrote:

time is running out for the monkey see monkey do lets overthrow everyone we supported for decades crowd
FEOS
+1,182|6557|'Murka

After all the calls from various world leaders for Daffy to step down (ostensibly in support of the rebels), the current regime holding out and winning leaves everyone in a bit of a lurch. What to do now? If it were in everyone's interests to overtly back the opposition--and apparently it was--then those governments should start taking stronger action to ensure they win, or they will be left with a pissed off Daffy who will likely not honor any previous agreements with any of them (like not backing terrorism, not building WMD, etc).
― Albert Einstein

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6821|Canberra, AUS

Kmar wrote:

Perhaps they should declare independence (whilst laying claim to all of Libya, Taiwan-style).
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6747|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Perhaps they should declare independence (whilst laying claim to all of Libya, Taiwan-style).
I don't think so http://bit.ly/hkT4Hb
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6921|Moscow, Russia
U.S. aims to funnel seized funds to Libya rebels.

yeah, it's simply a "just rebellion" of the "oppressed". no foreign power had any hand in it - none whatsoever, they simply... seize the funds of the current government and plan to support the opposition with that. freedom, democracy, and strawberry pie for everybody.

Last edited by Shahter (2011-03-16 11:07:08)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6145|Vortex Ring State

Shahter wrote:

U.S. aims to funnel seized funds to Libya rebels.

yeah, it's simply a "just rebellion" of the "oppressed". no foreign power had any hand in it - none whatsoever, they simply... seize the funds of the current government and plan to support the opposition with that. freedom, democracy, and strawberry pie for everybody.
well, the foreign powers gave a very good impression that they didn't see it coming then
FEOS
+1,182|6557|'Murka

So are Russian tinfoil hats thicker than other styles?
― Albert Einstein

eleven bravo
+1,399|5405|foggy bottom
they cant afford tin foil.  they make their hats out of gum wrappers and elmer's white glue.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5405|foggy bottom
they cant afford the gum either, just the wrappers.
Tu Stultus Es

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard