Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5332|Sydney
Figured I should make a thread instead of posting in EE chats.

Never been overseas, been around a lot of Australia and travel a lot with my band so I'm no stranger to domestic travel.

International is obviously another kettle of fish. Going to be heading over in August for a mate's wedding in Las Vegas and my 30th bday on the same day. Plan on spending about 2 weeks there in total. So I'm thinking 5 days in Vegas and then on with the wedding party down to Phoenix and check out the Grand Canyon on the way.

I'm not sure if I want to spend the second week in Phoenix or get out on my own and check out either New York or San Francisco. My flight will be departing Los Angeles to return back to Australia.

Obviously I'll be asking a lot of my friends and my brother some of the finer details of international travel, but I'm really just wanting to get a vibe for the places I should visit whilst I'm there, and seeing as half of you guys live in the US I figure this would be a good way to go about it.

EDIT:

Here's the planned journey so far:
Four nights in Vegas, head to Phoenix via the GC and Sedona. Fly to San Fran, head to Yosemite for two nights. Back to San Fran for 4-5 nights. Drive to LA via Santa Cruz and the ocean road. Spend a couple days in LA to check out Santa Monica, Hollywood, Venice Beach. Head home and pay off my credit card

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-03-14 05:58:45)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6754|132 and Bush

When? .. dates are relevant.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Oh forgot that.

Not locked in stone, but I'd be looking to fly out of Oz around the 10th of August and leave the US around the 25th of August.

Wedding is scheduled for August 13.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-03-13 03:14:11)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6754|132 and Bush

Check to see what is going on in those cities in August. That might help you decide. Personally I think the best way to experience new locations is to go their local events.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6345|Roma
From what I remember, it's about 5 hours to Grand Canyon from Veags, then 4/5 hours from GC to phoenix. When it's only 5 hours form Vegas to phoenix.
I may be wrong though.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
That's a good point. Would like to catch a band or two whilst I'm there, been thinking about what could be on.

If I had to choose between NY and San Fran, what would you suggest?
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney

PrivateVendetta wrote:

From what I remember, it's about 5 hours to Grand Canyon from Veags, then 4/5 hours from GC to phoenix. When it's only 5 hours form Vegas to phoenix.
I may be wrong though.
Hmm. I think I would like to see it, take home some memories of a truly unique part of the world. I imagine some of the other memories I'll get will be fairly hazy...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6754|132 and Bush

Jaekus wrote:

That's a good point. Would like to catch a band or two whilst I'm there, been thinking about what could be on.

If I had to choose between NY and San Fran, what would you suggest?
I've been to both. New York.. hands down.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6345|Roma
Haha, It's worth seeing if you're in the area, but i've seen it a few times, and only needed to see it once. You see it, then within about an hour it gets boring, unless you're hiking down or something. Or a photographer like my friend who spent 3 days there and didn't want to come back.
Most people I spoke to thought the same as me.

And NY definitely

Last edited by PrivateVendetta (2011-03-13 03:26:26)

Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Maybe NY it is then.

I could do both but it'd be like 2 days here, 3 days there. A whole week in a place is probably a better way to really get a feel for a place then kinda half arsing it in two places.

Dunno, still 5 months to decide I guess. What about Los Angeles? I'll be flying in and out of there, should I spend a couple days at the end checking out the place?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6754|132 and Bush

There is a lot more to see and do in New York. It will blow your mind. The history of the city is fascinating.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
I think NY is definitely winning here...
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Doing some research, NY has three airports yeah? Which one should I look to fly in to, or doesn't it matter?
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6345|Roma
Normally the closer they are, the more expensive the flights.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
But travel to the city from the furtherest one would be expensive, wouldn't it?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6754|132 and Bush

Consider rising fuel cost... might be cheaper to buy tickets sooner rather than later.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
I didn't even think of that. Thanks.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6870

Jaekus wrote:

Doing some research, NY has three airports yeah? Which one should I look to fly in to, or doesn't it matter?
JFK would be preferable if you're planning to visit NYC.

Yeah as everyone said, buy your seats a lot earlier, saves around 3-400 bucks.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5391|Cleveland, Ohio
NY is a shit pile
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6754|132 and Bush

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

JFK would be preferable if you're planning to visit NYC.

Yeah as everyone said, buy your seats a lot earlier, saves around 3-400 bucks.
I'd say JFK as well. August should be a relatively good time to fly in.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Sweet. Although this site says it's mainly an International airport?
http://www.ny.com/transportation/airports/
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6754|132 and Bush

derp.. yea LaGuardia
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Ok so I'm starting to have a better idea...

Fly into LA, then on to Vegas. Stay there for about 5 nights, then head to Phoenix with the wedding party, probably gonna check out the GC and Sedona on the way. Fly out of Phoenix to NY, spend about a week there. Fly back to LA and from there back home.

Sound good?
Reciprocity
+721|6734|the dank(super) side of Oregon
5 days in vegas?
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Yeah, I'd like to get there a couple days before the wedding and then we'll probably leave on the Monday. So maybe 4 nights.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard