DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6692|United States of America

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

cracks me up how you pro lifers are also pro death penalty.  what a joke
Devil's advocate: a fetus hasn't done anything wrong, while a person up for the death penalty has.
So they gotta save that fetus just in case they become a criminal so they can kill them!

Srsly though, why do people work around trying to avoid the death penalty? If I did a crime of that magnitude, I'd much rather die relatively quickly than rot in prison for a few decades before kicking the bucket. Hell, even if I was able to be released after 25 years or so, I'd not want some shitty life with a fraction of the quality I had before going into prison.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5969|Places 'n such
Death penalty doesn't really solve anything other than the need for revenge. Which to me seems a pretty short term effect for the victims dealing with their problems.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6007|...
Death penalty actually solves two problems;

-someone extremely dangerous has been completely removed from society
-you don't have to pay for having him in jail for the rest of his/her life

If someone is deserving of a sentence that guarantees they're going to spend the rest of their lives in prison, safe to say they can't be rehabilitated. Besides, there is no difference in between sentencing someone to life in prison or death.
inane little opines
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5969|Places 'n such
Surely those two problems are just one problem. Keeping them in jail removes them from society, the death penalty just saves the money. However, when you sentence someone to death they don't just get marched out of the courtroom and placed up against a wall, wonder how long they spend on death row and waiting for appeals?
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5709|College Park, MD

presidentsheep wrote:

Surely those two problems are just one problem. Keeping them in jail removes them from society, the death penalty just saves the money. However, when you sentence someone to death they don't just get marched out of the courtroom and placed up against a wall, wonder how long they spend on death row and waiting for appeals?
long enough to make it more expensive than a life w/o parole sentence
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6751|Reality

lowing wrote:

Nic wrote:

Meh, personally I think life in solitary confinement, in the dark would be worse, and fitting, but the death penalty would save money, if they would just do it, instead of waiting 20 years....
Nice inflammatory title anyway, god your a tool.
lol why is that? There are anti death penalty people that do not feel death penalty is right regardless of the crime. Human life is far too valuable and shit. I challenge that. How is that inflammatory?
Didn't read all the pages so apologies if repeating this:

As long as it is possible to mistaken/wrongly execute an innocent person, it is WRONG to execute anybody. End of debate on capital punishment.

I understand the emotional response those stories evoke but what about the emotional response to the families of innocent executed prisoners?
"OOPS sorry we killed your mom/dad/son etc because we thought he/she was guilty of murder" or any level of monetary remuneration could never come close to repairing the damage.
What would you say to your family if you were to be executed for a murder you didn't commit?

You remove the offending parties from society for life. Make them work off their debt to society within the prison walls. Minimal contact with outside world. I am not a believer that everyone can be rehabilitated. There are a lot of broken people that no amount of therapy will ever fix (like the guy due for release in Rhode Island.). I would add the people from your stories to the list.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Wreckognize
+294|6493
If you're for the death penalty but against abortion or euthanasia then you're a hypocrite. 

Pro-death ftw.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA

Stubbee wrote:

lowing wrote:

Nic wrote:

Meh, personally I think life in solitary confinement, in the dark would be worse, and fitting, but the death penalty would save money, if they would just do it, instead of waiting 20 years....
Nice inflammatory title anyway, god your a tool.
lol why is that? There are anti death penalty people that do not feel death penalty is right regardless of the crime. Human life is far too valuable and shit. I challenge that. How is that inflammatory?
Didn't read all the pages so apologies if repeating this:

As long as it is possible to mistaken/wrongly execute an innocent person, it is WRONG to execute anybody. End of debate on capital punishment.

I understand the emotional response those stories evoke but what about the emotional response to the families of innocent executed prisoners?
"OOPS sorry we killed your mom/dad/son etc because we thought he/she was guilty of murder" or any level of monetary remuneration could never come close to repairing the damage.
What would you say to your family if you were to be executed for a murder you didn't commit?

You remove the offending parties from society for life. Make them work off their debt to society within the prison walls. Minimal contact with outside world. I am not a believer that everyone can be rehabilitated. There are a lot of broken people that no amount of therapy will ever fix (like the guy due for release in Rhode Island.). I would add the people from your stories to the list.
We discussed that actually. What we were talking about is indisputable proof and guilt without a doubt, over whelming evidence etc. etc.. So if we were gunna put someone to death, there would be no doubt of their guilt. I think with todays technology and forensics all doubt is removed from such cases. I mean they are going back and solving cases 100 years old with science now. New crimes with these technologies really should cut down on the reasonable doubt factor.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA

Wreckognize wrote:

If you're for the death penalty but against abortion or euthanasia then you're a hypocrite. 

Pro-death ftw.
well I am not pro life, or against euthanasia so pretty much your accusations do not apply to me. Oh I am also pro same sex marriage, pro legalizing drugs and prostitution as well.

How are they the same thing anyway?

Last edited by lowing (2011-03-12 13:22:59)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA

presidentsheep wrote:

Why are we out to "solve problems"? We are taking out the trash nothing more.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

it doesn't do much, and for anyone you plan on releasing back into society, it arguably makes it worse
really wasn't interested in releasing murderers, especially child killers, back into society....were you?
nope, but some people call for subjecting even burglars to very harsh prison environments. I'm not saying they should get massages and hot tubs, but if you just throw a guy into a shit hole for 5 years and then let him out, do you honestly expect him to be any more improved?
I think prison should be so bad that you will think twice about fucking up and risk going there, and if that is not enough to stop you, then sorry for ya, enjoy your stay.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA

eleven bravo wrote:

these types of thread are always funny. people love chiming in on how theyll torture and execute criminal X.  I guess they want live vicariously through the executuioner without leaving the comfort of their home or office
No you are trying to demonize pro death penalty folks, by saying they would enjoy killing. I suppose in lieu of a real argument, I dunno.

Fact is, pro death penalty people hold life very sacred, and view anyone that chooses to deny an innocent person of their life as someone that needs to be removed from society and not hidden away, but pay for their crime.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6007|...
I don't really think of it in terms of making someone pay for the crime or stuff like that.

I just feel that if there's absolutely overwhelming evidence against someone who commits a horrifying act of sorts (serial killers, people who commit multipile rapes etc) it's gonna save time, money and effort by simply putting them to death in stead of sentencing them to 800+ years in prison. You don't have to worry about them ever getting out into society again anymore, either.

I realise the "death sentence is bad what if you kill someone innocent" stuff is out there, that's why I'm stating overwhelming evidence. DNA of the suspect on the body of the victim, a witness or victim testimony, finding the body or parts on the property of the suspect, that sort of stuff.
inane little opines
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6698|Tampa Bay Florida
Under the law, guilty is guilty.  You can not say person A is "more" guilty than person B, if they have both been found guilty.  Regardless of the evidence.....

There is also a thing called "life without parole".. ^^
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6007|...
Ya but it's best to be sure if the sentence is possibly death.
inane little opines
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA

Spearhead wrote:

Under the law, guilty is guilty.  You can not say person A is "more" guilty than person B, if they have both been found guilty.  Regardless of the evidence.....

We talking about that as well. Merely being in jail, comfortable and routine is not punishment. Plenty of ex cons comit crimes to go back to jail where they are in their comfort zones.

As I said before, if that comfort zone is removed, and they are made to pay for their crimes in terms of anxiety, then fine life would be worse than death. But to merely hide them away, let them get into a routine, get comfortable in their existence then they are not being punished, all we did was remove all responsibility from them so we take care of them and leave them with nothing to worry about. in my opinion that is not punishment enough.
CC-Marley
+407|6836

Spearhead wrote:

Yep, here in Massachusetts it averages @ 17 years.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6698|Tampa Bay Florida
Well, that is a problem within the criminal justice system.  Not my fault that some get out. 

For example, the guy who killed two cops in my town a couple of months ago served something like 15 years in prison.  Someone, somewhere, should've realized he was "institutionalized" and kept him locked away, or, at the very least, under closer watch.  I'll also add that the fact he easily got his hands on an Ak-47 is.... disturbing, to say the least.

Last edited by Spearhead (2011-03-12 13:22:27)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA

Spearhead wrote:

Well, that is a problem within the criminal justice system.  Not my fault that some get out. 

For example, the guy who killed two cops in my town a couple of months ago served something like 15 years in prison.  Someone, somewhere, should've realized he was "institutionalized" and kept him locked away, or, at the very least, under closer watch.  I'll also add that the fact he easily got his hands on an Ak-47 is.... disturbing, to say the least.
Enforcing the laws, and punishing the criminals would solve all of your concerns, right?
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6550|Texas - Bigger than France
I think the system is fine.  It's supposed to be long to give some extra opportunities to appeal before putting the guy down.

For me, life in prison is much more cruel.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA

Pug wrote:

I think the system is fine.  It's supposed to be long to give some extra opportunities to appeal before putting the guy down.

For me, life in prison is much more cruel.
Too many criminals begging the courts to spare their lives to assume life is crueler than death in prison. Can't buy it.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA
I think that argument is used by the anti death penalty crowd, to save useless lives. You are not interested in crueler punishment.
jaymz9350
+54|6585

d4rkst4r wrote:

just curious as to where to find statistics that show killing an inmate is more expensive than housing them for life. links would be appreciated.
I believe from what I've seen before the part that raises the cost so much is the legal costs.  It costs more to try a capital case and they are required to go through so many appeals (literally required by law, I read a story of a guy who admitted his crime and wanted to die but was forced to go through his appeals process) before they can be put to death.  Also they are still in prison for quite a while during all this.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6550|Texas - Bigger than France

lowing wrote:

I think that argument is used by the anti death penalty crowd, to save useless lives. You are not interested in crueler punishment.
No.  Taking a life is a huge thing.  Make sure, then kill them as soon as possible.  For me, cruel-ness ratio: Life imprisonment > Life on death row > death.

The system is there and works fine.  I'm willing to let them appeal then kill them as soon as possible.

I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck in prison for life...I'd rather be dead.

If you're pissed, focus on the appeals process...making it faster.
CC-Marley
+407|6836
McVeigh was put to death just under six years after he was indicted. That was fairly quick for the process.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard