Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...

Burwhale wrote:

Wouldnt you think that a quick death was too good for these people, while a long miserable life being butt shagged by a guy called "Bubba" in the prison showers every week was a more fitting sentence?

Death is the easy way out.
Where's the logic in that? When they're dead you're done with it. I really can't be bothered in financing revenge.
inane little opines
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Burwhale wrote:

Wouldnt you think that a quick death was too good for these people, while a long miserable life being butt shagged by a guy called "Bubba" in the prison showers every week was a more fitting sentence?

There is an argument for that. However, I like the anticipation of death approach. they know they are going to die, and soon, thy can jut sit  there waiting for it to happen for a while. A little suffering thrown in wouldn't cause me to loose any sleep either.

Or you could just throw them into general population and lest nature take its course, like Jeffery Dahmer

Last edited by lowing (2011-03-12 04:56:27)

Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6215|Brisneyland

Shocking wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

Where's the logic in that? When they're dead you're done with it. I really can't be bothered in financing revenge.
All I am saying is that if some one interfered with a member of my family, I would want them to be punished. I am personally anti death penalty, but think that a life behind bars subject to the evil nature of other prisoners may be what they deserve.
Thats the logic. If that means revenge to you, then so be it. I also object to the fact that I could be paying tax to a government to find ways to kill its own citizens through capital punishment. Life behind bars is more punishment I think.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Burwhale wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

All I am saying is that if some one interfered with a member of my family, I would want them to be punished. I am personally anti death penalty, but think that a life behind bars subject to the evil nature of other prisoners may be what they deserve.
Thats the logic. If that means revenge to you, then so be it. I also object to the fact that I could be paying tax to a government to find ways to kill its own citizens through capital punishment. Life behind bars is more punishment I think.
so, someone kills your little girl, and all you want for them is a private room, 3 square meals a day a gym and a library for life? You don't want them to die for killing your child?

Last edited by lowing (2011-03-12 05:03:06)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...
Life behind bars is imo the most cruel thing you could do to an individual. Rather just kill them already instead of letting them wait 70 years till death. It's essentially a death penalty but somehow people have the illusion that it's "better".

I don't see the point in it either, is torturing them going to bring anyone you lost back? No. Going to make you feel better? Initially, I guess, but I doubt it.

People who would be deserving for the death penalty are deadweights to society and should simply be removed. If you're going to convict someone to life in prison you might as well just kill them, there is no actual difference in between the two actions.
inane little opines
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Shocking wrote:

Life behind bars is imo the most cruel thing you could do to an individual. Rather just kill them already instead of letting them wait 70 years till death. It's essentially a death penalty but somehow people have the illusion that it's "better".

I don't see the point in it either, is torturing them going to bring anyone you lost back? No. Going to make you feel better? Initially, I guess, but I doubt it.

People who would be deserving for the death penalty are deadweights to society and should simply be removed. If you're going to convict someone to life in prison you might as well just kill them, there is no actual difference in between the two actions.
yeah i agree, which is basically why in the end the cost factor does actually swing it for me.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Shocking wrote:

Life behind bars is cruel only if you make it cruel. there are those criminals that get out of jail then comit crimes to get back in because for them life is easier when you have no responsibility.

If I could be guaranteed a "life" of misery, discomfort, and agony for those criminals I would agree. When they are begging to be put to death instead of fighting the justice system to spare their lives on grounds death is cruel and unusual punishment, I will agree with you.

Last edited by lowing (2011-03-12 05:11:49)

Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6215|Brisneyland

lowing wrote:

so, someone kills your little girl, and all you want for them is a private room, 3 square meals a day a gym and a library for life? You don't want them to die for killing your child?
Thats right . Despite the items you mentioned above, never being able to do what you want, never going outside, slowly rotting in a place you hate, is much worse than the quick, kind death.

shocking wrote:

I completely agree.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Burwhale wrote:

lowing wrote:

Thats right . Despite the items you mentioned above, never being able to do what you want, never going outside, slowly rotting in a place you hate, is much worse than the quick, kind death.

shocking wrote:

I completely agree.
will you comment on my last post?

PS I said nothing of a "quick death". I used the words "suffering" and "anticipation of death"

Last edited by lowing (2011-03-12 05:17:10)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...
lowing, I don't think there's any worse torture than being locked up for life. You are completely disconnected from society and won't be able to do anything of value anymore in your life, having other people tell you what to do, when to do it and how for the rest of your remaining days. Personally I value my freedom quite a lot.

People convicted to life often attempt suicide and do request being killed, yeah, you may still get food 3 times a day but it's a pretty depressing existance.
inane little opines
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Shocking wrote:

lowing, I don't think there's any worse torture than being locked up for life. You are completely disconnected from society and won't be able to do anything of value anymore in your life, having other people tell you what to do, when to do it and how for the rest of your remaining days. Personally I value my freedom quite a lot.

People convicted to life often attempt suicide and do request being killed, yeah, you may still get food 3 times a day but it's a pretty depressing existance.
I think there are far more criminals fighting to stay alive than begging for death in prison.

The thing is, YOU don't think there is anything worse in life, you are gauging your life, not theirs. Criminals who are institutionalized are comfortable ( for a lack of a better term) in their surroundings, it is what they know and what they are used to. They, even in prison, arrive at a comfort zone and routine in their existence. As I said, if that comfort zone is removed I would agree with you. However, I do not believe institutionalized inmates are all that uncomfortable.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...
Does harsher punishment actually do anything though? I don't think so.

Here we recently had to close prisons because there are too few criminals, yet I reckon our facilities are a lot better than in your average US prison.
inane little opines
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Shocking wrote:

Here we recently had to close prisons because there are too few criminals, yet I reckon our facilities are a lot better than in your average US prison.
Yes harsher punishment does something. It punishes harsher. I am not interested in rehabilitation for such people, I am interesting in them suffering.

Wish we had your problem.

Last edited by lowing (2011-03-12 05:36:55)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD

Shocking wrote:

it doesn't do much, and for anyone you plan on releasing back into society, it arguably makes it worse
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Shocking wrote:

it doesn't do much, and for anyone you plan on releasing back into society, it arguably makes it worse
really wasn't interested in releasing murderers, especially child killers, back into society....were you?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/03/12/con … tml?hpt=T2

why isn't this guy begging for death, instead of being kept alive suffering the daily grind of uncomfortable prison life?

The way you make it sound, they should be begging for death, and that simply isn't the case.

Last edited by lowing (2011-03-12 05:52:43)

d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6445|Ontario, Canada
just curious as to where to find statistics that show killing an inmate is more expensive than housing them for life. links would be appreciated.
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5953|Places 'n such
As much as I'm ready to condemn these two to the harshest fate imaginable, I don't think I could come up with anything near what these two deserve. Though cases like this make me question my view as anti death penalty, I'll don't think anyone can comment on it better than Pierrepoint, whose views made my form my opinion: "I have come to the conclusion that executions solve nothing, and are only an antiquated relic of a primitive desire for revenge which takes the easy way and hands over the responsibility for revenge to other people...The trouble with the death penalty has always been that nobody wanted it for everybody, but everybody differed about who should get off."
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

lowing wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Shocking wrote:

really wasn't interested in releasing murderers, especially child killers, back into society....were you?
nope, but some people call for subjecting even burglars to very harsh prison environments. I'm not saying they should get massages and hot tubs, but if you just throw a guy into a shit hole for 5 years and then let him out, do you honestly expect him to be any more improved?
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6724|St. Andrews / Oslo

Burwhale wrote:

The whole "I'd rather have them miserably rot in jail for life" argument extremely simple and pointless. How is it any better at all? You're basically doing the same thing - removing a person from society forever. What, then, is the point in making the person suffer for some 50 years first? Punishment, revenge, whatever, it's all pointless - nothing good comes from it.

I seriously doubt that it works as a threat - no-one's going to say "Aww yeah, I'm going to go microwave my kid today. Actually, wait no, I'd get in trouble for that, better not." - these people are way beyond thinking about consequences. It's not going to work as a tool to make someone 'realise they've done something wrong' either, because they're not getting out again. You're basically locking them away in a cellar due to some primitive lust for revenge that is completely and utterly pointless.

For the record, I'm anti-capital punishment (and anti-life sentence), but if you're going to lock them up in a cellar and let them rot for life then you might as well just off them.

I say this, of course, to make a point. Human life is, in my opinion, the most valuable thing in the world, and the right to creative thought and life is always better than death. It can be argued though, that in extreme cases even this is deprived from prisoners through mental abuse and exhaustion and is thus just as bad as the death penalty.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
cracks me up how you pro lifers are also pro death penalty.  what a joke
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
A vast majority of crimes are impulsive, the criminal doesn't weight the benefits and costs. That's why crime isn't significantly lower in states with the death penalty. Some argue that swiftness of punishment might make a difference but that hasn't really been studied.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

eleven bravo wrote:

cracks me up how you pro lifers are also pro death penalty.  what a joke
Devil's advocate: a fetus hasn't done anything wrong, while a person up for the death penalty has.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
a fetus isnt a person

also the whole thing about prolifers is that they say we dont have the right to decide when a life begins or ends, thats up to the almighty dot dot dot
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
these types of thread are always funny. people love chiming in on how theyll torture and execute criminal X.  I guess they want live vicariously through the executuioner without leaving the comfort of their home or office
Tu Stultus Es

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard