Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

Abbott has lost a lot, (more,) of my respect. The Coalition's stance of 100% opposing anything the Government recommends with only offering the most half-baked of alternatives is getting tiring. I mean it's a minority Government, the Opposition has the chance to actually introduce policy of their own or have infliuence on Government legislation but all they do is anti everything. I know that there is a certain amount of opposing in being an Opposition but scrutiny doesn't necessarily mean flat-out opposing.

Abbott needs to realise that all the ground he made in the Federal Election wasn't just because of his policy it was also strongly effected by Labor replacing a fairly popular and electable leader with a bogan-voiced alternative, (nothing against Gillard but the move turned off many potential Labor voters - and her voice is awful.) Historically a governing party that changes its leader just before an election is preparing itself to lose. Given this, the fact that Abbott didn't win is a pretty poor reflection of his political ability.

The Coalition won't be able to force a change of Government. Their power lies in working with the cross-benchers - which they are able to do with Oakeshott and Windsor certainly not being in Labor's pocket and Katter being in the Coalition's. But they're not doing this because they don't seem to want to actually introduce policy. If his Coalition keep bitching and moaning they face the real possibility that people will tire of them come the next election and will have nothing to show for a period where they could have actually had some real influence in policy making. Abbott has no strategy, he's just committed to smashing his forehead against a wall and is convinced that one day it's just going to take pity on him and crumble.

Still, Abbott will last as leader 'till the next election I reckon. I mean who's going to step up, Hockey? Everyone knows that he'd have to be babysat constantly to ensure he didn't do something dumb. He's also not exactly an attractive option for PM in all senses of the word wheras Abbott might actually make a good PM despite being a poor Leader of the Opposition.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5170|Sydney
Yeah good points there too. The Coalition at this rate will find themselves coming to the next election with little in the way of policy, rehash some old ideas and chuck together some new ones that are full of holes, and oppose anything Labor brings to the table. Kinda what lost them the last election.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
If Gillard says what she's going to do and introduces a new raft of policy measures and (more importantly) gets them through, then Abbott will have no hope.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
I think they know this, so they want to block her at every turn in order to later turn around and say "what has Labor done? Nothing". Except blocking everything doesn't get you into government when you yourself have nothing to offer as an alternative. What was Abbott's slogan last election? "Stop the boats, stop the taxes, stop the waste". All very well and good, but once you do that, then what?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Jaekus wrote:

I think they know this, so they want to block her at every turn in order to later turn around and say "what has Labor done? Nothing". Except blocking everything doesn't get you into government when you yourself have nothing to offer as an alternative. What was Abbott's slogan last election? "Stop the boats, stop the taxes, stop the waste". All very well and good, but once you do that, then what?
invade indonesia as a preemptive strike
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

Jaekus wrote:

Well...

Bloke on another forum posted this, it's a pretty good (if wildly slanted) take on these things.

He did something as prior to his taking the leadership the Liberals were going to get absolutely smacked at the next election. He was able to achieve the turnaround via what I think, based on the history of the party, was a simple back to basics approach.

Abbott was able to work on nostalgia, conservative voters by nature are inclined to view ‘what we had before’ was desirable. I think he reinvigorated the most committed core of the base that had rallied behind John Howard. One of the keys to the Howards philosophy was that: Menzies ‘silent majority’ of Australians in the 1950’s with no links to the union movement, had now become the ‘silenced majority’ by political correctness, Keating and the special interest groups who had infiltrated the ALP since Dunstan/Whitlam had broadened their base by brining to the forefront the new forms of oppression by the upper classes such as; race/religion/age/sex/education. Areas outside the original concerns of the working class labour movement that had originally made up its base and as it shrank had made them stay in federal opposition. Neo-liberalism had challenged the idea of the nuclear family, mum at home, 2 kids and a white picket fence (which fronted one of Howard's policy documents) yet the social conservative didn't want to budge. Country and family still remain the glue binding the individual pursuit.

Howard in key speeches made comments to the effect of: ‘we [the silent majority] don’t want to be viewed as a society with no central core or just a collection of different groups with no collective identity’ Nation and family became the neo-cons safe haven after free market economics destroyed the traditional view of the Howard family, as Waleed Aly pointed out not all conservatism can be viewed as useful, this had an impact of marginalising Muslims and other minorities who didn't fit this image rather than leading to integration behind a national identity. He pissed off the Left because his world, similar to Bush, relied on the ‘with us or against us’ idea and thus viewed all opposed to him as simply part of the ALP and their anti-establishment sympathisers. The argument always became one dimensional and his supporters therefore were tied to backing him up and the media mirror became monolithic. The ABC, known stomping ground for ex-Labor staffers, couldn’t be fully trusted, Academics living in the abstract, couldn’t be fully trusted. Unions, like the bastards who ruined his family business, were a threat to the individual aka to ‘Howard’s Battlers’.

I think the allure of Abbott over Turnbull was a further replay of these factors. The Dry’s, known at the extremities for anti-intellectualism, can’t stand the thought of being silenced in their opposition against Climate Change, sexual liberation, reconciliation with our past or the welfare state, and Turnbull did just that with his support of the ETS and dismissal of the fringe of the party (who of course had a lot more power than their size would suggest). The carbon tax is seen as simply a greenie scam to tax productive effort in the wealthy countries to give to the poorer nations, thus it was a redistribution of wealth scheme placing the burden on working families and small business, many of whom vote for both major parties and easily digested the simple soundbite ‘great big tax on everything’. Through fear of the unknown I think the seeds of doubt placed by the new ‘open church’ of the Liberals with regards to ‘believing in man made warming’ opened the door for fear to play a bigger role. Rudd's failure also.

What now....? A question to consider as the change in price of emissions flows through the economy. This question is much easier for the Greens to fathom as they believe roughly; the economy should be centrally planned or deconstructed to the local community base, we are living beyond our means, capitalism requires growth to survive putting us at odds with natural constraints and that neo-liberalism, which has really kicked off since the 1970’s, is completely to blame and they have the remedy, economics can't be viewed as the primary concern. The Dry’s hear this message much louder than the mainstream of Australia and pull the Liberals further away from the centre.

I do wonder if the issue with Turnbull was that he was; not a good enough politician, or that he was too moderate. It’s a bit like the greens/ALP scenario when assuming he is too moderate. Those further to the extremities of the Liberal party won’t be moving across to the ALP anytime soon, but they will use their influence via the right-wing think tanks (e.g. the IPA, loosely known as the institute of p**** and a********) to hijack the opinion pages of the papers and look to wedge voters.

Since the merge of the Protectionists and the Free Traders the ‘Liberals’ have agreed on a few things:
a) By right they are the most fit to run the country, in the 1920’s they felt that the labor man was barely fit to handle his pay check, let alone the finances of the country. Therefore they would likely take a path of mismanagement and corruption. Still a key method Liberal attack to this day. Waste, deficits, Keating’s Piggery, Whitlam and the budget, Ute-gate and jobs for the boys.
b) As a result of this, the ends justify the means, they are inclined to polemic attacks as the most important thing is that they regain power and manage the country from there. Such is their greater ability to unashamedly lie to the electorate and also oppose many labor ideas, justifying it by their better ability to run the economy in the longer term.

Abbott since his days as a wet blanket at university knows this message all too well.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6214|Brisneyland
Carbon Tax....
Is it something I think should have happened long ago.
or
Direct breaking of an election promise.
Thoughts?

Last edited by Burwhale (2011-02-24 04:19:53)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
A steady ratcheting up of carbon tax, from a very low level over a decade or two, is the best way of tackling carbon emissions IMO.

Is there any point at all in listening to what a politician promises before an election?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
All bets went off when it got to 72-73 tbh. A good move - at last.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6214|Brisneyland
Carbon Tax is the kind of thing that KRudd should have done a couple of years ago. I think its a good thing, and I am kinda glad she broke the election promise.

Get ready for a scare campaign from Tony abbott though.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Abbott is looking progressively more dumb simply opposing stuff for no concrete reason.

Not sure which is more annoying, that or Gillard's sympathy voice.
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
Yeah, indeed. Especially when it is feasible that if Abbott actually thought of some good ideas he could get them passed in the Reps now, which would be a huge embarrassment for the govt.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I no longer give a toss about which side of the house gets embarassed.
I'd like them to concentrate on running the country as efficiently as possible.
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
I meant that as in it would be politically smart, but apparently too smart...
~ Richard Feynman
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney

Spark wrote:

Yeah, indeed. Especially when it is feasible that if Abbott actually thought of some good ideas he could get them passed in the Reps now, which would be a huge embarrassment for the govt.
That in itself is an idea that has appeared to have escaped Abbott for six months now. Surprising when you consider it was discussed in the media before the hung parliament was resolved, so it's been out in broad daylight for a long time now.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

This is going to make Abbott look even more of a goose.

He doesn't believe in climate change.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
It is good to see that the ALP has grown some balls again. And a spine.
~ Richard Feynman
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6705|Purplicious Wisconsin

AussieReaper wrote:

Sounds cool, I don't believe in man-caused global warming.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

War Man wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

We know. You were home schooled.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6705|Purplicious Wisconsin

AussieReaper wrote:

War Man wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Nah, just makes sense to me. Think about it, wouldn't we be dead by now if co2 really was a problem?

Edit: and it is really hard to believe anyway when it fucking snows here, Jesus if it is true that man-caused global warming is real then bring on the warmth I say.

Last edited by War Man (2011-02-26 23:46:46)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

War Man wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

War Man wrote:

Nah, just makes sense to me. Think about it, wouldn't we be dead by now if co2 really was a problem?

Edit: and it is really hard to believe anyway when it fucking snows here, Jesus if it is true that man-caused global warming is real then bring on the warmth I say.
Increased snowfall is a result of global warming.

You do know that the snow you're receiving is record levels, yeah?
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
lol Warman. Just lol.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

AussieReaper wrote:

War Man wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Increased snowfall is a result of global warming.

You do know that the snow you're receiving is record levels, yeah?
it's not that simple. don't tell warman though

I mean, you could possibly make an argument that warmer oceans and greater precipitation ie snowfall in some areas are linked, especially when you have unusually warm masses of air moving around and bumping into much colder ones, but without looking at actual data/models etc I'd really strongly hazard against linking any isolated incident to global warming/climate change at this time. Global weather is a bit too complicated to be doing that on the fly.

For example, I heard on the radio a few times people arguing that our recent heavy floods were proof of global warming. Well, yes, if you looked at global climatic conditions - esp ocean temps to the west - you could make that argument, but the weather being weird doesn't mean the climate is automatically weird too. In that case global warming wasn't attributable as a major cause. A very, very strong La Nina was the cause of that (and probably the major factor behind record snow in the Northern hemisphere too). Whether you want to argue that the La Nina has been accentuated by global warming, well, you're getting into some heavy, complicated shit and you best leave that to proper scientists with proper models.

Last edited by Spark (2011-02-27 00:02:19)

~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

You know the difference between weather and climate, don't you spark?
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
i know a lot of things

Last edited by Spark (2011-02-27 00:19:12)

~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard