CC-Marley
+407|6962
The singularity is coming....
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6308|Sydney | ♥

There will be a human cull - you wait.

If people don't die and keep breeding - Shit will get real.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6133|Vortex Ring State

tazz. wrote:

There will be a human cull - you wait.

If people don't die and keep breeding - Shit will get real.
yep

another argument for gay marriage and the promotion of homosexuality
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6754|London, England
This planet can easily sustain massive human populations, we're just rather ineffecient and wasteful right now. It's not even about downgrading the quality of life either. There doesn't need to be "culls" or wars over the last drops of resources if scientific breakthroughs are achieved to change the current system.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6943|Nårvei

Mekstizzle wrote:

This planet can easily sustain massive human populations, we're just rather ineffecient and wasteful right now. It's not even about downgrading the quality of life either. There doesn't need to be "culls" or wars over the last drops of resources if scientific breakthroughs are achieved to change the current system.
Utopia tbh ... yes we have enough resources to sustain a larger population but that DOES mean downgrading the quality of life for many people and that won't happen without war ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6620|Latvia
It's not like everyone would get immortal once the technology becomes available, it would be mostly rich people. Lady gaga, guys like Trump, Politicians, all living beyond their expiration date. Though the business for artificial livers will be booming.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6419|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

BALTINS wrote:

It's not like everyone would get immortal once the technology becomes available, it would be mostly rich people. Lady gaga, guys like Trump, Politicians, all living beyond their expiration date. Though the business for artificial livers will be booming.
Lady Gaga?

Forever?

I'll take mortality then... lol...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6754|London, England

Varegg wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Utopia tbh ... yes we have enough resources to sustain a larger population but that DOES mean downgrading the quality of life for many people and that won't happen without war ...
Not really. There's plenty of examples in history of something rare/expensive becoming a common item because of breakthroughs. That's basically how civilisation/development works. It's pretty safe to say that the average Westerner is more efficient/less wasteful then they were 10-15 years ago yet living a better quality of life.

You need huge breakthroughs like Fusion technology to really propel the world forward but it's not impossible.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5607|Ventura, California
Meh...

I just hope they get damn stem cells so I can finally see 20/20
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5491|London, England

Mekstizzle wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Not really. There's plenty of examples in history of something rare/expensive becoming a common item because of breakthroughs. That's basically how civilisation/development works. It's pretty safe to say that the average Westerner is more efficient/less wasteful then they were 10-15 years ago yet living a better quality of life.

You need huge breakthroughs like Fusion technology to really propel the world forward but it's not impossible.
This is true. Basically the only limiting factor for human population (in certain regions) is our use of oil. No, I'm not talking about pollution, I'm talking about powering the vehicles necessary for crop production, mercantile exchange etc.

Now aside from the pipe dream of fusion, and the utter inefficiency of solar and wind power production, there really is no other realistic replacement. We could pop nuclear plants down all over the globe but the waste is... a problem.

You guys are kind of missing the point though. If people had the ability to live to 1,000 don't you think the people who could afford the treatment would be smart enough to space out their children?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Meh...

That's not very religious of you.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6133|...
Hmm pipe dream? I don't really know enough about how fusion would have to be conducted in a lab or facility, but don't hydrogen bombs partially operate on fusion?

Going by that, shouldn't it be possible to make it happen in a controlled environment? I suppose energy supply would be the major limiting factor right now.
inane little opines
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,737|6870|Oxferd Ohire

JohnG@lt wrote:

We could pop nuclear plants down all over the globe but the waste is... a problem.
https://images.wikia.com/en.futurama/images/d/d3/ABigPieceofGarbage.png
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

dayarath wrote:

Hmm pipe dream? I don't really know enough about how fusion would have to be conducted in a lab or facility, but don't hydrogen bombs partially operate on fusion?

Going by that, shouldn't it be possible to make it happen in a controlled environment? I suppose energy supply would be the major limiting factor right now.
Nuclear fusion occurs naturally in all active stars (see astrophysics). Synthetic fusion as a result of human actions has also been achieved, although this has not yet been completely controlled as a source of nuclear power. In the laboratory, successful nuclear physics experiments have been carried out that involve the fusion of many different varieties of nuclei, but the energy output has been negligible in these studies. In fact, the amount of energy put into the process has always exceeded the energy output.

Uncontrolled nuclear fusion has been carried out many times in nuclear weapons testing, which results in a deliberate explosion. These explosions have always used the heavy isotopes of hydrogen, deuterium (H-2) and tritium (H-3), and never the much more common isotope of hydrogen (H-1), sometimes called "protium".

per wiki
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6133|...

JohnG@lt wrote:

In the laboratory, successful nuclear physics experiments have been carried out that involve the fusion of many different varieties of nuclei, but the energy output has been negligible in these studies. In fact, the amount of energy put into the process has always exceeded the energy output.
Yeah I suppose that's an issue :p.

Although if they managed to achieve more output than input through nukes I trust that it should be possible to generate similar results in a facility, doubt it'd be more safe than a regular nuclear reactor though.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

dayarath wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

In the laboratory, successful nuclear physics experiments have been carried out that involve the fusion of many different varieties of nuclei, but the energy output has been negligible in these studies. In fact, the amount of energy put into the process has always exceeded the energy output.
Yeah I suppose that's an issue :p.

Although if they managed to achieve more output than input through nukes I trust that it should be possible to generate similar results in a facility, doubt it'd be more safe than a regular nuclear reactor though.
How does one contain a star in a laboratory?
-Frederick Bastiat
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5607|Ventura, California

JohnG@lt wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Meh...

If they're going to do it anyway I want my damn eyesight.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Sh1fty- wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Meh...

If they're going to do it anyway I want my damn eyesight.
https://www.lasik--dallas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/lasek-eye-surgery.jpg

Get lasik.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Or if you're cheap, there's DIY lasik

https://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/lasik_home.jpg
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,737|6870|Oxferd Ohire
or steal the eyes from a homeless person
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6133|...

JohnG@lt wrote:

hmmm... funnel liquid hydrogen through the walls to prevent melting! Like they do with the shuttle rockets

first we need to make a stable star though.....

and then figure out how to absorb its energy

D:
inane little opines
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,737|6870|Oxferd Ohire

JohnG@lt wrote:

]
ask doc ock
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6133|...

JohnG@lt wrote:

Or if you're cheap, there's DIY lasik

http://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/lasik_home.jpg
this actually exists

is anyone crazy enough to try something like that? lol
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

dayarath wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

hmmm... funnel liquid hydrogen through the walls to prevent melting! Like they do with the shuttle rockets

first we need to make a stable star though.....

and then figure out how to absorb its energy

D:
But if you're fusing hydrogen that would be bad.
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6133|...

JohnG@lt wrote:

But if you're fusing hydrogen that would be bad.
If it starts leaking or overheating, I suppose you're fucked yeah.

Doesn't sound like such a great alternative to nuclear energy tbh
inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard