Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
uuuuh i spent 8 months last year studying postcolonial discourses and i'm currently writing 8,000 words on postcolonialism in conrad. next year i'm doing an MA on modernism/postmodernism/postcolonialism. seeing as said's orientalism is the basically the start-point, and seeing as he is one of the large theoretical underpinnings of my current essay... i think i do have some credence when talking about said in respects to the israel-palestine question. im very familiar with his work/stances. yours, however, serves to do nothing more than to perpetuate a stereotype of a university that was born in the 1950's... when you've never even been lectured there.

thanks though please do shop again

Last edited by Uzique (2011-02-21 09:24:30)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Uzique wrote:

uuuuh i spent 8 months last year studying postcolonial discourses and i'm currently writing 8,000 words on postcolonialism in conrad. next year i'm doing an MA on modernism/postmodernism/postcolonialism. seeing as said's orientalism is the basically the start-point, and seeing as he is one of the large theoretical underpinnings of my current essay... i think i do have some credence when talking about said in respects to the israel-palestine question. im very familiar with his work/stances. yours, however, serves to do nothing more than to perpetuate a stereotype of a university that was born in the 1950's... when you've never even been lectured there.

thanks though please do shop again
Then you fully recognize that he didn't actually start a discussion, he simply formed his own lemming pod among 'liberals' who were looking for the next big "anti-imperialism" rally point.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
i don't think orientalism has anything to do with a liberal 'agenda'. it's a part sociological/cultural study, part historiographical analysis of western history and practices. it's pretty detached from a contemporary political agenda - the best you could pin it to is perhaps some loose branch of the (anti)-humanism approach. but what's that in the context of american politics? completely irrelevant. you're just blindly applying some crass stereotype you have about 'columbia professors' to a massive area of theoretical and critical discourse that you self-confessedly haven't even read. said didn't start a discussion? i really disagree. said was instrumental in ushering in a new era of academic study and interest, and particularly in giving more marginalized academic writers a place to be heard. he managed to gain credibility and respect in a stuffy and conservative western academic tradition (along with spivak) when nobody else was particularly interested in theories of neo and postcolonialism. is it overtly 'anti-imperialism'? no, i don't think so. frantz fanon is more in the style of that reactionary, anti-imperialist kneekick school. said is meditated and considered. he's working within the system that his studies criticise - not against.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-02-21 09:39:04)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
it's also ironic how much bullshit you have spewed about that group of thinkers over the last 2 pages whilst accusing me of being a "faux intellectual" and "pretending to read books i haven't". i don't think you've even read the blurb on the back of the books you're shit-talking... c'mon, please. you're making it too easy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

i don't think orientalism has anything to do with a liberal 'agenda'. it's a part sociological/cultural study, part historiographical analysis of western history and practices. it's pretty detached from a contemporary political agenda - the best you could pin it to is perhaps some loose branch of the (anti)-humanism approach. but what's that in the context of american politics? completely irrelevant. you're just blindly applying some crass stereotype you have about 'columbia professors' to a massive area of theoretical and critical discourse that you self-confessedly haven't even read. said didn't start a discussion? i really disagree. said was instrumental in ushering in a new era of academic study and interest, and particularly in giving more marginalized academic writers a place to be heard. he managed to gain credibility and respect in a stuffy and conservative western academic tradition (along with spivak) when nobody else was particularly interested in theories of neo and postcolonialism. is it overtly 'anti-imperialism'? no, i don't think so. frantz fanon is more in the style of that reactionary, anti-imperialist kneekick school. said is meditated and considered. he's working within the system that his studies criticise - not against.
Exactly, he led the way for every kook to come out of the woodwork and have his voice heard. Nevermind that kooks are generally ostracized for a good reason i.e. their opinions aren't valid. But hey, everyone is equal and everyone has an equal right to spew whatever shit they want. Long live the Westboro Baptist Church!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
i really have no idea what you're talking about. could you point out some 'kooks' for me in the neo/postcolonialist school of thought? link to some 'kooky' essays on the israel-palestine situation? yes, poor scholars get ostracized and are badly peer reviewed... yes, darwinian academia! yada yada. but which of the authors listed on that book you just blasted are hack-professors or political mouthpieces? the only person i think you could possibly criticize is chomsky, for being a bit of a popular polemicist... but that's not a crime, as long as all of the articles are backed-up and properly researched.

... and what do theoretical discourses have to do with the westboro baptist church's freedom of speech entitlement?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

i really have no idea what you're talking about. could you point out some 'kooks' for me in the neo/postcolonialist school of thought? link to some 'kooky' essays on the israel-palestine situation? yes, poor scholars get ostracized and are badly peer reviewed... yes, darwinian academia! yada yada. but which of the authors listed on that book you just blasted are hack-professors or political mouthpieces? the only person i think you could possibly criticize is chomsky, for being a bit of a popular polemicist... but that's not a crime, as long as all of the articles are backed-up and properly researched.

... and what do theoretical discourses have to do with the westboro baptist church's freedom of speech entitlement?
It was an indictment of academia in general. They seem to delight in tenuring professors that go against the flow just for the sake of it. It doesn't seem to matter if their opinion is correct or not, as long as they have one that differs from the majority. Case in point is Columbia. New York City and its surrounding area has one of the largest Jewish populations on the planet and yet they have a Edward Said chair there currently filled by the vehemently anti-semitic Rashid Khalidi. The school is located on the same island that the Twin Towers were and yet it spits on veterans. Columbia isn't unique by any means. Harvard, Berkeley, Brown, etc they are all refuges for the ideal hipster liberal professors. Guys so obscure with opinions so unpopular that they never have to worry about being different from other white people again! It's the dream fulfilled.

So sorry uzique, it's impossible to take academia seriously. They've sewn the seeds of their own irrelevance over the past four decades.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
load of pretentious bollocks. "sewn the seeds of their own irrelevance". . so institutions should align with national sentiments and pro-government stances? who cares where colombia is located? "ideal hipster liberal professor". what is an "ideal" professor? aren't a lot of the faculty at harvard/yale quite reactionary and conservative? why is it such a bad thing to have an 'edward said chair' that simply gives room for dissenting opinion and/or alternative views in american academia? you call these institutions 'irrelevant' just because they're not aligning with populist views? that's a pretty dangerous educational principle you're outlining, there. i think it's perfectly healthy and commendable that these colleges give a voice to the marginalized and the 'fringe'-- it's healthy for academic discourses and debate. who wants hegemony in scholarship? there would never be any progression.

but still it's great that you're repeatedly disclaiming entire institutions, professors and their individual works without having been to, having been lectured by, or even having read any of their works. that really helps us as readers to "take you seriously". if academia is purportedly a farce because of your outlined reasons... what does that make your 'don't read / won't read' approach? is it credible in light of this argument, then?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

load of pretentious bollocks. "sewn the seeds of their own irrelevance". . so institutions should align with national sentiments and pro-government stances? who cares where colombia is located? "ideal hipster liberal professor". what is an "ideal" professor? aren't a lot of the faculty at harvard/yale quite reactionary and conservative? why is it such a bad thing to have an 'edward said chair' that simply gives room for dissenting opinion and/or alternative views in american academia? you call these institutions 'irrelevant' just because they're not aligning with populist views? that's a pretty dangerous educational principle you're outlining, there. i think it's perfectly healthy and commendable that these colleges give a voice to the marginalized and the 'fringe'-- it's healthy for academic discourses and debate. who wants hegemony in scholarship? there would never be any progression.

but still it's great that you're repeatedly disclaiming entire institutions, professors and their individual works without having been to, having been lectured by, or even having read any of their works. that really helps us as readers to "take you seriously". if academia is purportedly a farce because of your outlined reasons... what does that make your 'don't read / won't read' approach? is it credible in light of this argument, then?
Don't you believe in democracy? Majority rule. Dissenting opinions are irrelevant.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
ye-ep, more pretentious bollocks to back up a non-existing argument.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5969|Vortex Ring State

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Don't you believe in democracy? Majority rule. Dissenting opinions are irrelevant.
dissenting opinions can become majority rule over time
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
don't worry g@lt actually did bother to read a book one time and now he's all super-macbeth about democracy

which somehow gives credibility to his outright dismissal of academia and critical discourses that he knows nothing about

israel-palestine is a joke!!!!!
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
Galt thinks he's superior because he's read a bunch of political books and went to the Ivy League school SUNY Maritime. It's really funny to watch his ego explode in any thread where someone disagrees with him.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Poseidon wrote:

Galt thinks he's superior because he's read a bunch of political books and went to the Ivy League school SUNY Maritime. It's really funny to watch his ego explode in any thread where someone disagrees with him.
Actually, I was disagreeing with Uzique because I was bored and knew he would keep me entertained if I pushed the right buttons for an hour or so

You on the other hand are a fat jew turd that I would wipe my ass with if we ever met in person.
-Frederick Bastiat
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5006|Massachusetts, USA
You mean to tell me someone who got their education is trying to teach two college students a thing or two about the world?
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

UnkleRukus wrote:

You mean to tell me someone who got their education is trying to teach two college students a thing or two about the world?
Hideous thought that is.
-Frederick Bastiat
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York

JohnG@lt wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Actually, I was disagreeing with Uzique because I was bored and knew he would keep me entertained if I pushed the right buttons for an hour or so

You on the other hand are a fat jew turd that I would wipe my ass with if we ever met in person.
Oh Galt, I think you're quite possibly the last person to be calling anyone fat. I'm 5'11 167 lbs, what are you? Two rolls short of a bakery?

Yeah, I'm sure you were just pestering him to keep yourself entertained... the fall back argument anyone uses when they've been made to look like a dumbass. I don't even necessarily agree with Zeek and I've had my fair share of spats with him, but it's just really funny seeing someone act like they are overly superior when all they have is "their 4 stories worth of bookcases". Lmfao.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

UnkleRukus wrote:

rofl. g@lt doesn't know a thing about the topics he is shit-talking.

some "education" that is if his highly-rigorous method involves blind denouncement and absolutely zero prior knowledge.

accepted to colombia grad school, egad!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Poseidon wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Oh Galt, I think you're quite possibly the last person to be calling anyone fat. I'm 5'11 167 lbs, what are you? Two rolls short of a bakery?

Yeah, I'm sure you were just pestering him to keep yourself entertained... the fall back argument anyone uses when they've been made to look like a dumbass. I don't even necessarily agree with Zeek and I've had my fair share of spats with him, but it's just really funny seeing someone act like they are overly superior when all they have is "their 4 stories worth of bookcases". Lmfao.
We should meet up for a beer sometime.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
galt did you forget to take your de-retardation pills today or something?

first you doggedly argue with me about a topic you know nothing about... whilst i'm supposedly the "faux intellectual" that "hasn't read the books"

secondly you post a bunch of fucking facebook photos in a thread about israel-palestine to 'discredit' another poster.

top-rate D&ST contributions from our favourite self-fancied POG-intellectual... as ever...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

galt did you forget to take your de-retardation pills today or something?

first you doggedly argue with me about a topic you know nothing about... whilst i'm supposedly the "faux intellectual" that "hasn't read the books"

secondly you post a bunch of fucking facebook photos in a thread about israel-palestine to 'discredit' another poster.

top-rate D&ST contributions from our favourite self-fancied POG-intellectual... as ever...
Calling me a POG is your personal attack? Really? When do you plan on serving in your nations military?
-Frederick Bastiat
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5969|Vortex Ring State
quite the flame war here...

anyways... yeah
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
Well this has brought some much needed entertainment to this site, I was getting bored.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

JohnG@lt wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

So you actually go into the "pictures of yourself" thread and take pictures of me from 1) over 2 years ago and 2, 3) almost a year ago

Wow. You're what, 24? What a sad, sad excuse for a man.
Just pointing out your immaturity. I told you, stay the fuck out of DST. You are as welcome as shifty is.
what exactly about the last 3 pages exactly merits you a 'welcome' place in D&ST? you're a joke.

go read some said and bite your tongue
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

jord wrote:

Well this has brought some much needed entertainment to this site, I was getting bored.
I was too Slow ass morning. I was starting to miss H/J even!
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard