TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5687|Vancouver, BC, Canada
You guys care to share your thoughts?

When I first saw the screenshots/feature list for WP7, I thought it was a massive waste of effort for Microsoft to even try, and it didn't turn out all that great. (Never really liked the Zune UI)

But looking at these concept shots, these phones look really amazing. I've never really needed a smartphone (I have my iPod touch for that), but if the price on this is right (Maybe around $200 with no contract/term) I can totally see myself buying one to use as a phone. I find that every single dumb-phone I've seen (Including my $150 model) ALWAYS has multiple menu/interface/firmware bugs that are easily fixable, but it's nearly impossible to actually upgrade the firmware.

So I think that if Nokia manages to price this closer to the price of a dumb-phone, with the firmware stability+updates of a smartphone, I can see myself buying it pretty damn quickly. I don't care much about WiFi, but if the phone comes with it, it wouldn't take long for someone to write a Personal Hotspot app to share out 3G networks. Then I would be set.

https://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/02/11x0211nokiaconcept.jpg

I don't quite understand why all the Nokia employees raged and walked out when the announcement was made, if I had any money I would defs buy Nokia and possibly Microsoft stock right now because I can see this becoming a big thing.

Anyone else got thoughts on this?

Last edited by TheDonkey (2011-02-15 00:30:50)

FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
I don't know anything about the Nokia phones, but the Windows 7 phone OS is fucking nice.

My dad's got a HTC with it, and everything is just so damn smooth and sleek. I'd love it to have, but I don't foresee a lot of user-made apps.
TheDonkey

FFLink wrote:

I don't know anything about the Nokia phones, but the Windows 7 phone OS is fucking nice.

My dad's got a HTC with it, and everything is just so damn smooth and sleek. I'd love it to have, but I don't foresee a lot of user-made apps.
Really, I don't see Windows Phone 7 taking off as a Smartphone OS with apps and the like. There will be Facebook, and EBay, maybe a few others, but it won't be a major app-store or marketplace like iOS or Android.

But if Microsoft markets it right, as a glorified dumb-phone OS with true updates and a sleek interface, I can see it doing quite nicely. it would steal the dumb-phone market but without having to compete with smartphones.

Last edited by TheDonkey (2011-02-15 00:39:10)

jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Windows Phone 7 + Nokia = Yahoo! + AOL

But yeah you would would think Nokia employees would be happy, not much else going for them
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
Sounds like a good idea. I wonder if that's their actual intention.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6443|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Heh. Tabloids over here had a field day making all sorts of catastrophy headlines after Elop started messing around with Nokia last week. One newspaper made a completely black ad with a few Nokia phones put as a cross. Below was a cry from some employee that said something like "We've been betrayed!". Some expert said that this is the end of Nokia. And now Elop is trying to explain how he's not a Trojan horse or anything like that, but a man who is trying to pull the company up to fight for the title again. Ya, right. Dude as a former Microsoft employee owns a shitload of Microsoft stocks and it just so happens he makes a huge deal with his former employee.. "I'm not the bad guy here". Nono, just firing several thousand people for starters in Finland. El oh el..

Anyhoo I'm not paying a dime for a new Nokia phone as long as he's in charge. As a bonus that butthole was spotted with a rival team jersey in the Winter Classic hockey game a couple week ago.

Oh, and the Nokia stock has gone down aboot 25%. Gg mr. Canada.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6439

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Anyhoo I'm not paying a dime for a new Nokia phone as long as he's in charge. As a bonus that butthole was spotted with a rival team jersey in the Winter Classic hockey game a couple week ago.
NO!
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Ultrafunkula

NooBesT wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

NO!
They'll go bankrupt now! *evil laughter*

Forgot to mention I haven't paid for a phone for the last 3 years anyways
TheDonkey

UltrafunkulaOh wrote:

and the Nokia stock has gone down aboot 25%. Gg mr. Canada.
Perfect time to buy *shurg*. I bought a bunch of shares on the stock market game I'm playing, just to see if I'm right about this one. We'll see soon enough.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

The Zune UI is actually quite nice now on the HD
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ultrafunkula

Wups. Lemme correct a bit. 20% downhill. Not 25%. Yet.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6409|Brisbane, Australia

TheDonkey wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Really, I don't see Windows Phone 7 taking off as a Smartphone OS with apps and the like. There will be Facebook, and EBay, maybe a few others, but it won't be a major app-store or marketplace like iOS or Android.

But if Microsoft markets it right, as a glorified dumb-phone OS with true updates and a sleek interface, I can see it doing quite nicely. it would steal the dumb-phone market but without having to compete with smartphones.
Not sure if you realise or not but WP7 has been publicly available for a while now and has everything you just claimed it would never end up having.

Obviously not as fleshed out as iOS and Android are (with their 3? year head starts) but far from a glorified dumb phone OS or marketplace-less OS. Unless they were theories about the Nokia phones when they come out (they wont be).

The UI of WP7 and the Zune software is really quite incredible, I really enjoy using it.

Last edited by TimmmmaaaaH (2011-02-15 07:05:03)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

TheDonkey wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Haha. The App Store is ever growing regarding WP7 and has a lot more apps than the ones you just mentioned.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/e … fault.aspx

Just look at that.

Dumb phone OS? Are you living in a cave? WP7 has now been out since Nov and is doing pretty well. Added to the fact that is competes with smartphones, has a better email/music and feed interface than the iPhone and is being marketed at a cheaper price than the iPhone.

Where have you been for the past 4 months?

WP7 is Microsofts third greatest achievement after W7 and the 360. I have the Zune HD and the interface is sleeker than the iPhones.
Benzin
+576|5968
Given how well supported Symbian was, I imagine Nokia will do just fine with WP7...
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6256|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
Wait...

Am I misunderstanding something here or does noone know that WinMo OS' basically spawned the smartphone long before iPhone or Android were even ideas?
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

Windows Mobile was a hunk of steaming feces.  I think everyone here knows that.
Ultrafunkula

Hmm. A newspaper tested the WP7 on a HTC and they rated it better on some features than the iPhone. Who knows, maybe this will do some good to the company afterall?
Broodbeleg
+34|5822|The Netherlands
I own the Zune HD and a WP7 device. Although I cant buy applications here in the Netherlands, there are enough free apps to be satisfied until the Dutch market will be launched. And thats one of the few flaws of this OS for me. The rest works perfectly.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Hmm. A newspaper tested the WP7 on a HTC and they rated it better on some features than the iPhone. Who knows, maybe this will do some good to the company afterall?
Interesting move by the two companies. While Windows' app store is still in an infant state (compared to the iTunes/App Store ecosystem), the potential for large scale distribution of phones running WP7 will now give developers a much larger incentive to develop apps. For those in the know, does WP7 suffer any of the Android OS fragmentation issues?

If it spurs Apple on to make something better for the iPhone 5/iOS 5, then I'm all for it
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

Investors see it as the apocalypse, it seems.

https://i51.tinypic.com/rhl3ie.gif

I think Nokia can come with something good, but they're in a hell of a hurry to make something. Which means.. ..bugs.
I need around tree fiddy.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia

DonFck wrote:

Investors see it as the apocalypse, it seems.

http://i51.tinypic.com/rhl3ie.gif

I think Nokia can come with something good, but they're in a hell of a hurry to make something. Which means.. ..bugs.
Can't hurt to buy some Nokia shares?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Broodbeleg wrote:

I own the Zune HD and a WP7 device. Although I cant buy applications here in the Netherlands, there are enough free apps to be satisfied until the Dutch market will be launched. And thats one of the few flaws of this OS for me. The rest works perfectly.
You can buy apps. All you need is to buy US Microsoft Coins and you're good to go.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6256|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Zimmer wrote:

Broodbeleg wrote:

You can buy apps. All you need is to buy US Microsoft Coins and you're good to go.
Or download the ton of free ones?
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

FloppY_ wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Broodbeleg wrote:

Or download the ton of free ones?
Why why WHY do you get involved? You're seriously starting to tick me off with your stupid comments.

I was giving him a way to DOWNLOAD THE NON-FREE apps.

You just have to butt in with your negative, childish and stupid remarks. Everywhere. There is no topic left without your bullshit on it. Please stop. You aren't contributing and you're not liked for doing this.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio
fucking served

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard