Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland

Brisbane Times wrote:

Lance Corporal Jared MacKinney was shot dead in a major contact with Taliban insurgents in August last year.

The Seven Network broadcast footage of Mr Abbott in October discussing the incident with US commander James Creighton.

Mr Abbott, in Tarin Kowt, is seen saying: "It's pretty obvious that, well, sometimes shit happens, doesn't it."
This may not be as straight forwards as it seems. Tony Abbott says it was taken out of context, and I think he may be right. Is this a case of the media beating up an unfortunate event, or a massive error by the opposition leader?

Heres a link to the actual footage of the event.

For what its worth, I cant stand the guy, but I dont doubt his commitment to the troops. Most reporters are making a bigger issue about how he responded to a reporter that was asking him questions about it. He went quiet for 30 seconds, and was on the edge of losing his cool big time.

Last edited by Burwhale (2011-02-08 04:42:16)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

I would like to see the whole 'shit happens' comment video rather than that 5 second clip. Though he it seems he didn't really do or say anything wrong at all.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Watch here macbeth:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/820 … th-comment

*edit - actually doesn't include much more.

But worth watching the reaction when Abbott is confronted

I couldn't believe how silenced he was by the reporter.

Last edited by AussieReaper (2011-02-08 04:53:44)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
Think he wanted to punch the reporter in the face tbh.

Or at least, I did.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Without knowing the context its hard to say, but not a good choice of words.

Still, better than 'bring 'em on!'.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
I don't see the problem, honestly. The way he said that suggested that there was a hint of condolence in it, a kind of fatalism if you like.

Certainly didn't deserve to be on the evening news, let alone the dick ambush in parliament. Oh well, expected nothing more from Seven.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Dilbert_X wrote:

Without knowing the context its hard to say, but not a good choice of words.
Context from Abbott himself:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/820 … th-comment

Last edited by AussieReaper (2011-02-08 04:55:57)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
Abbott is under no compulsion to tell the reporter jack about the context, it really is none of our - and hence his - business.

Last edited by Spark (2011-02-08 04:55:20)

~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
In cases like this the media should show a bit of restraint now and then.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
Meh seems to be out of context to me. The media look for a political scandal in anything.

From my point of view he was commenting on the fact that situations can go wrong easily in place like Afghanistan. The US Colonel was explaining how mistakes were made and Abbott seemed to be saying "it's not anyones fault, it's just war". At least that was my interpretation.

As for almost losing his cool with the reporter, he's never been a great speaker, especially when unprepared. But really I think he was simply frustrated that the reporter was trying to make more out of it then it really was. This doesn't shine Abbott in a great light, but I don't think it shines channel 7 in a great light either.

Personally I think Abbott isn't the man for the job of Opposition Leader and Liberals need someone who can actually speak under pressure.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2011-02-08 05:02:00)

Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
True as that is, as a person the wants the top job, he should have a better response to the reporter than he did. Like it or not, this is in the public eye now, its in his interest to mount a valid response. Despite what Spark says, it is our business now, he must learn to deal with these issues.

Since NewsCorp publication have been giving him a easy time for the last 6 months or so, its good to see some pressure put on him.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
While I agree that politicians should be put under pressure and scrutiny, I really don't think there was anything to this in the first place. I'm sure the digger's family aren't enjoying the death of a loved one being caught up in some sort of pseudo political scandal.
Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

While I agree that politicians should be put under pressure and scrutiny, I really don't think there was anything to this in the first place. I'm sure the digger's family aren't enjoying the death of a loved one being caught up in some sort of pseudo political scandal.
That's the reason I said it's none of our business tbh.
~ Richard Feynman
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
Shit happens.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5969|Vortex Ring State

DrunkFace wrote:

Shit happens.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
It seems channel 7 is coming out of this worse than Abbott. All the other media networks and commentators are saying the general feeling is anger towards channel 7 for using a soldiers death for some cheap story against Abbot.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It was a cheap shot by a cheap channel.
Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

It seems channel 7 is coming out of this worse than Abbott. All the other media networks and commentators are saying the general feeling is anger towards channel 7 for using a soldiers death for some cheap story against Abbot.
Channel 7's News/Current Affairs team is the worst I've ever seen. The Daily Mail of television.

Did anyone catch the "cyclone countdown" they had on TT last week? I mean, really...
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
Channel 7 is a low quality news channel for sure. It remains to see how much they try to milk this story.
Having said that they clarified a few things.

1. They gave Abbott advanced warning about the questions they were going to ask. He had hours to formulate answers, instead of weird silence.

2. Abbotts media adviser quit recently. Apparently she was very good at her job. I dare say that this wouldnt have happened if she was still there.

3. Abbot was in Afghanistan to investigate an email from a soldier that claimed that a dead soldier would be alive if they had proper support from the army and govt. He tried very hard to make a point that the govt had given the troops no resources and that they were forgotten by the govt. He quickly came to the conclusion that this wasnt the case and that rather than dying from under resourcing, the death was just a result of what happens in war ( therefore "shit happens"). You dont see him publically stating that the govts resourcing of the troops is now fine though.

The issue for me isnt the low act of the channel 7 reporter, but how Abbott reacted to it. He did a poor arse job of it, and would have to be better than this if he wanted the top job. Weird thing is that he was a reporter himself in the past. It was a while ago though.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

So you are upset he didn't spew some empty one liner or half assed excuse? And you think he doesn't deserve to get the top spot because he can't think of stupid sound bytes quickly?

Seems like you're just trying to find a reason to be upset especially since
For what its worth, I cant stand the guy

Last edited by Macbeth (2011-02-09 05:09:32)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
Laurie Oakes' comments at the end were spot on.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

Macbeth wrote:

So you are upset he didn't spew some empty one liner or half assed excuse? And you think he doesn't deserve to get the top spot because he can't think of stupid sound bytes quickly?
He didn't have to do either. He could've simply explained what had happened. He himself actually made this become a bigger issue than it was.

Seems like you're just trying to find a reason to be upset especially since
For what its worth, I cant stand the guy
True for a lot of Australians. But you wouldn't know that I'm sure.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Jaekus wrote:

True for a lot of Australians. But you wouldn't know that I'm sure.
Are you insinuating I'm ignorant of how people feel about their government since I don't live in Australia?
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
No, I'm insinuating that you don't really know what you're talking about.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Oops, I didn't get the memo this was an Aussie only thread. Sorry I'll only stick to threads having to do with America from now on.

Sorry!

By the way, that was sarcasm you're a huge tool.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard