Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
so my no-frills £25 cherry keyboard came today... and it types and feels infinitely better than any 'gaming' keyboard i have ever purchased. it easily beats the fragile-feeling, piece-of-shit saitek cyborg and far outperforms the piss-poor plastic tactile response of the logitech g15. the keys are solid, cushioned, take some effort to push down and give a wonderful response. the keyboard also has all of the media functions and shortcut keys easily mapped to the f1-f12 buttons and an apple-key style shortcut system. no need for a keyboard the size of a fucking desk, no need for some gaudy design with a million LED's lighting up your desk at night. no need to hear the clackety sound of cheap plastic rattling away all night as you game and type to friends. why don't more people just go for this sort of ergonomic, typist-friendly office keyboard? why has everyone been scammed into this marketing-bubble that is 'gaming keyboards'? i can see the performance/functionality difference with gaming-mice, considering they have higher-sensitivity and bonus buttons/scroll functions... but what's the deal with keyboards? i am literally in disbelief at how much more solid the construction and feel is of this keyboard compared to the £100+ 'gaming' keyboards i have wasted money on before.

what a joke!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum

FloppY_ wrote:

You have tried running without the bloom or whatever that lighting setting is called?

I believe you need a 3rd party tool to fully disable it tho'
this weirdly did fix *everything* when i just joined a game. swapped servers though and it was back, so went to the settings file and it had changed itself back. I'm now rather confident some software somewhere is clashing badly - my card isnt being a bitch in any other program, this only started after updating drivers and some windows forced restart, cards temps are fine and so on.

backing stuff up now before i push THE button
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6618|Mhz

Uzique wrote:

so my no-frills £25 cherry keyboard came today... and it types and feels infinitely better than any 'gaming' keyboard i have ever purchased. it easily beats the fragile-feeling, piece-of-shit saitek cyborg and far outperforms the piss-poor plastic tactile response of the logitech g15. the keys are solid, cushioned, take some effort to push down and give a wonderful response. the keyboard also has all of the media functions and shortcut keys easily mapped to the f1-f12 buttons and an apple-key style shortcut system. no need for a keyboard the size of a fucking desk, no need for some gaudy design with a million LED's lighting up your desk at night. no need to hear the clackety sound of cheap plastic rattling away all night as you game and type to friends. why don't more people just go for this sort of ergonomic, typist-friendly office keyboard? why has everyone been scammed into this marketing-bubble that is 'gaming keyboards'? i can see the performance/functionality difference with gaming-mice, considering they have higher-sensitivity and bonus buttons/scroll functions... but what's the deal with keyboards? i am literally in disbelief at how much more solid the construction and feel is of this keyboard compared to the £100+ 'gaming' keyboards i have wasted money on before.

what a joke!
Sounds suspiciously like my work keyboard, and I agree, they are a million miles apart from 'gaming' keyboards, typing is much nicer, I type all day every day and never have any comfort issues (I don't think I've found a keyboard that has keys cushioned quite like Cherry's do) but, alas I'm a sucker for shiny things, so I have a Razer keyboard here at home
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6707|England. Stoke

FatherTed wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

You have tried running without the bloom or whatever that lighting setting is called?

I believe you need a 3rd party tool to fully disable it tho'
this weirdly did fix *everything* when i just joined a game. swapped servers though and it was back, so went to the settings file and it had changed itself back. I'm now rather confident some software somewhere is clashing badly - my card isnt being a bitch in any other program, this only started after updating drivers and some windows forced restart, cards temps are fine and so on.

backing stuff up now before i push THE button
Have you tried doing fresh install of the drivers having removed them with drivercleaner?
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4966|Dundee, Scotland.

Uzique wrote:

what a joke!
linky to the one you got?
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
it's the only german-cherry that overclockers.co.uk stock... and it's rated as highly as any gaming keyboard, for literally 1/10th of the price.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Uzique wrote:

it's the only german-cherry that overclockers.co.uk stock... and it's rated as highly as any gaming keyboard, for literally 1/10th of the price.
quick search for cherry gives me http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.p … =KB-007-CH for £15.something.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6284|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
Cherry G83 is one of the few I can find for sale here...

Looks exactly like any OEM keyboard to me
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468

FloppY_ wrote:

that's mechanical and is absolutely incredible to type on. i've used one of the old IBM keyboards like that in my uni's science department and they are phenomenal. so so great for touch-typing! and yeah, camm, go for that one - that must be it. you won't be disappointed for £15. extremely solid keyboard.
FloppY_
­

Uzique wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

that's mechanical and is absolutely incredible to type on. i've used one of the old IBM keyboards like that in my uni's science department and they are phenomenal. so so great for touch-typing! and yeah, camm, go for that one - that must be it. you won't be disappointed for £15. extremely solid keyboard.
If only I could get the black with yellow keys here :<

Das Keyboard looks so much better... the pricetag doesn't tho' and they are not available here :<

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-02-07 13:14:01)

Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Uzique wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

sweeeeeet I was gonna get a new keyboard anywho, so yeah, thanks man.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
just be aware that the typing feels a lot different... cushioned... the keys push back up at you after you have made your keystroke. the keyboard has a denser, heavier feel to it so typing takes more 'effort', but is ultimately more cushioned and free-flowing. it feels as though the board has actual bulk and weight to it, and some durability. the gaming keyboards tend to feel extremely light and as though they're made of a thin layer of plastic... so when you type on them it takes less 'finger effort', but feels less tactile and responsive, too. it takes a bit of adjustment but my typing has improved loads in the space of a day. the backspace and caps lock key and enter key and space keys all have slightly different spring-pressure to them, too, so you can tell when you're hitting them (i.e. the spacebar is lighter and less effort, the backspace and caps lock have more weight so you have to actually intend to hit them). etc.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6688|Devon, England
Surely the idea behind gaming keyboards is in the name. If you want a keyboard that's nice to type on, you wouldn't buy one.

Also: Macros.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
I've basically always used OEM keyboards and never ever found myself wanting extra buttons or lights or readouts for gaming, or feeling hindered by not having them. A keyboard i can use for hours without getting tired or having to look at is much more important.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6625|UK
So, my iPod now functions as a sabotage device for computers. It can wipe out my housemate's PC too.

mr_burns_excellent.jpg
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6309

liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6625|UK
I bet blowing into the port on the iPod fixes it. I won't try that though, it's too simple.
FloppY_
­

FatherTed wrote:

I've basically always used OEM keyboards and never ever found myself wanting extra buttons or lights or readouts for gaming, or feeling hindered by not having them. A keyboard i can use for hours without getting tired or having to look at is much more important.
As long as I have volume control and a full QWERTY with numpad I'm good...
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

FloppY_ wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

>implying you get any other sort of keyboard
FloppY_
­

Camm wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5786|Catherine Black

Camm wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/YFyyE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Finray wrote:

Camm wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/YFyyE.jpg
what in the fuck
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5959|Places 'n such

Finray wrote:

Camm wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

DIE HEATHEN!
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Friend: Just bought a new computer.

Me: Why did you buy a Macintosh?

Friend: It's not a Macintosh it's an Apple Mac.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5786|Catherine Black

Camm wrote:

Finray wrote:

Camm wrote:

what in the fuck
https://i52.tinypic.com/344cntd.png

Last edited by Finray (2011-02-07 17:56:06)

https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard