superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6751

Every since patch 1.3, there are not enough commanders around.  Recently, I've had so many rounds on 32 and even 64 maps where nobody wanted to be commander!

My theory is that since they eliminated kill credit for artillery, people don't want to be commanders anymore.  Sure, you still get points but you used to be able to get some great k/d ratios with the artillery.  Don't count towards your stats anymore and i think that is turning alot of the stat minded players away from commanding. 

Also, there isn't really that much of an emphasis on global points cause ranks/unlocks are now so easy to achieve.  People now care more about their k/d ratios than their total points.

Anyone else notice this?
Papa Smurf 314
Right in the Smurfin' parking lot?
+90|6740|New York
hey, it's better for me now, lol, i only have like 9 hrs. as a commander so i can work alot on this now
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6811|Missoula, MT
I have noticed less desire all around for the Commander spot, myself included.  I'll just wait and see how it works in the expansion next month. 

Not saying I won't command anymore.  I've still gotten several badges this way.  It just seems like Commander gets less points now...oh no, I'm obsessed with points again!  It's just a game, it's just a game, it's just a... 

Last edited by CMDR_Dave (2005-10-25 04:53:49)

BB|EyeSeePeeDude
+0|6730
arty kills still count towards your K/D ratio, you still get credit for everyone you shred to pieces, and you get to play with really expensive toys - I don't see what the issue is.  I'll gladly step in as Commander anytime.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6751

really?  i thought that you no longer get credit for artillery kills...is there anyway to verify this?
BrightAsh
+1|6786
yeah i do notice, but i dont want to be commander for the simple reason that every stupid m*therf***** in the game wants a jet nowaday. The rest has finally unlocked the M95 and is sniping... so no flagcaptures, no defense, no listening to the commander... so it is truly useless to be commander nowadays
BB|EyeSeePeeDude
+0|6730
I've only had that problem a few times - most of the time, I give an order, and within 5 seconds get a "Roger that" -
Henkuz
Repairs on request
+28|6774|Alkmaar, the Netherlands
I can't agree more with BrightAsh, he is so right.
What bothers me too is that within 2 minutes after the start of a game you hear:"artillery is condition red", SpecOps are concentrating on the commander toys only as they can defend themself.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6811|Missoula, MT
Only advantage to being Commander now is you get combat points and credit for any kills you make with your weapons.  So, if you wanted to be really selfish, you could just run around spotting for yourself and giving yourself supplies.  Pretty much a one-man-army with an all-seeing-eye working for you.  Teamwork is the only way Commander gets points otherwise.  Maybe when the expansion comes out, those who are teamplayers will remain and the rest will move on... 
dsb
+0|6747

superfly_cox wrote:

really?  i thought that you no longer get credit for artillery kills...is there anyway to verify this?
I believe that you don't get any points for kills, but the kills still count for you.  So if you kill 30 people with arty, you won't get 60 combat points, but your global kill count will go up by those 30.
dan500
+57|6817
Kills still DO count, the just dont show up on the score borad in game, but i like being comm' still
ViperGTS19801
+0|6737|Philadelphia Suburbs, PA
Hey, I like being commander.  Especially when I get outranked by another player who then flies around in a Cobra all day, sucking ass and crashing into trees.  Wtf.  I got really mad at my commander one time on Gulf of Oman.  We were both on the carrier and running in different directions.  He was coming right towards me and I was an engineer with my pump action out....just as he ran by I clotheslined him with a shell to the face, just because I knew he was heading to the chopper.  "Medic!" he goes.  Hell with you, n00b, nobody wants to save your ass.
SneakyB
+0|6729|Denmark

CMDR_Dave wrote:

Only advantage to being Commander now is you get combat points and credit for any kills you make with your weapons.  So, if you wanted to be really selfish, you could just run around spotting for yourself and giving yourself supplies.  Pretty much a one-man-army with an all-seeing-eye working for you.  Teamwork is the only way Commander gets points otherwise.  Maybe when the expansion comes out, those who are teamplayers will remain and the rest will move on... 
Yeah.. I use the commander in that way.. I hate joining a game, and there's no commander on my team, even though we get hammered by the other teams arty... So I go commander, starts spotting and giving orders, and most times noone will obey those commands.. So why not use the advantage of UAV and supplydrops for my self when noone else bothers..
HG_TheTank
+2|6735
Let's see:
* I find flying planes the lamest thing possible
* I love to be commander
* I wish commanders would get more points for doing good jobs
* I wish commanders had more power then they do now (maybe kick/punish people)
* I wish commanders could force people into squads
* people would get (more/only) points for doing what the commander tells them (which might actually get them to do it)
* when I play commander I am usually engi or (on maps without fixed bases) medic/spec-ops
Omnimalice
All Hate
+1|6750|Northern VA
I never want to be commander, ever. But I still do it when my team has none. Last night I busted my ass as commander, only got 5 points, kept the UAVs rolling, arty going, spotting, everything, worked my ass off- and what did I get? A loss and a mutiny.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6751

yeah, the funniest thing is when you yell out that we need a commander two or three times and nobody takes the post.  since we got no chance w\o a commander i take the job even though i'm not in the mood.  and then someone starts a mutiny vote against me....go figure...
BB|EyeSeePeeDude
+0|6730
I think the points are harder to get as commander now, after the patch.  I remember having rounds with 70ish points BEFORE the 2x, now I'm lucky if I can get 25... 
dsb
+0|6747
i had a round where I got 315 as commander.

Big server, big ticket ratio, few people = long game for lots of points
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6803
I see a lot of people getting points for being commander. most of the time taking golds away from me.
I think Commanders get way too many points.. and  if they don't tone it down, atleast make it to where they don't get gold/silver/bronze medals for sitting on their ass dropping supplies.
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6808|A Small Isle in the Tropics

superfly_cox wrote:

yeah, the funniest thing is when you yell out that we need a commander two or three times and nobody takes the post.  since we got no chance w\o a commander i take the job even though i'm not in the mood.  and then someone starts a mutiny vote against me....go figure...
just finished 3 rounds as Chinese commander on Dragon valley on an EA Th*****d server.. wat a bunch of losers. undefended flags waiting to be taken by Chinese, alls they could do was gather around choppers, tanks, and going nowhere. i pinned USMC down at their first base (32p map) for quite a while..no one bothered to go defend the first chinese flag on the island. just one squad of two doing it. what were the rest doing? waiting for USMC to turn up at their bases!! they were playing defence.. holy crap!!

and these bunch of losers has the gall to mutiny vote me when i told them where to go attack and no one listened. i even placed a UAV over an undefended flag (duh..how much more obvious can i get)..they lost every single freaking round.

now i know why i dislike playing commander on EA Th******d servers.

grrrrrrrrrrrr... just had to vent. i ended the round by knifing a USMC engie in his face and quit the server.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6740|AUS, Canberra

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

I see a lot of people getting points for being commander. most of the time taking golds away from me.
I think Commanders get way too many points.. and  if they don't tone it down, atleast make it to where they don't get gold/silver/bronze medals for sitting on their ass dropping supplies.
i agree totally, although having said that...its there so why not exploit it?

iv only just atrted to go commander but i i agree shoulnt get the medals at end of round.
NATRONIS
+0|6730
the way ive seen it being commander, you recievethe 2points for each arty kill in your overall score, but it does not actually count as a kill. i want to get actual credit for my kills as kills, not go through a 30 minute game with three kills to show for it.

https://sig.nsvr.info/000000/FFC525/FFFFFF/4/36150622.gif
https://bf2s.com/player/36150622/sig3.png
https://bf2s.com/player/36150622/awards.jpg

Last edited by NATRONIS (2005-10-25 10:21:51)

WormGuts
+17|6764|Dayton, Ohio

NATRONIS wrote:

the way ive seen it being commander, you recievethe 2points for each arty kill in your overall score, but it does not actually count as a kill. i want to get actual credit for my kills as kills, not go through a 30 minute game with three kills to show for it.
Arty kills do count as kills in your global score.  I, absolutely, am sure of this.  I've seen my K/D ratio take a huge climb in my ground defense stats.  Generally when i play commander i'll hop in a TOW, MG, or Stinger to protect my back base while i perform my duties as commander.  You will notice this by the very low number of road kills in ground defense for me.  In the last week i've raised my K/D in ground defense by 1.2. 

They may not count as kills during a round but you surely get commander points for them.  Not sure if kills as commander as just a kit count globaly...though i suspect that they do. 

I will gladly take CO any time i see noone has it. 

I disagree with Slayem's comments about CO's getting medals for sitting on their butts.  I'm quite busy as a CO what with all the spotting, orders to give out, UAV flights to plan, and Arty to direct.  Then theres the never ending job of repairing my own assets, because few people are willing to stop their capping and killing to do a job i've asked them to do.  A commander gets no points for repairing his own assets which i think is a terrible injustice.  A good CO works his butt off and deserves that gold star if he puts up the numbers to get it.

As for the fellow who said he only got 5 points for being a commander.  DUDE what are you doing wrong?  I've never had that terrible a round as a commander.  I'm commonly around 30 points IAR before the 2x.

Last edited by WormGuts (2005-10-25 10:46:52)

Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6752|The Hague, Holland
I still need to get my command badge so yeah I'll play as commander every once in a while.
Other then that, No, I wont.
Omnimalice
All Hate
+1|6750|Northern VA

WormGuts wrote:

As for the fellow who said he only got 5 points for being a commander.  DUDE what are you doing wrong?  I've never had that terrible a round as a commander.  I'm commonly around 30 points IAR before the 2x.
It was a shit round. Teams wouldnt follow orders. The US just walked through the town.
I made it up on the next map though, I played medic and supported a house full of snipers. I got the gold star for that one, we lost, but I beat out the commander on the other team even after his x2.

Last edited by Omnimalice (2005-10-25 11:34:49)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard