Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

In which observation do you express doubt ?
All of it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

All of it.
It all starts with the family John. http://www.bsos.umd.edu/socy/vanneman/s … vorce.html . With the loss of the family nucleus to build morality and core values, the rest of the stats follow suit, naturally.

That is of course unless you believe the media and technology, IE the boob tube and iphones provide a more stable base for passing on moral judgement and sound character than parents at the dinner table.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

All of it.
It all starts with the family John. http://www.bsos.umd.edu/socy/vanneman/s … vorce.html . With the loss of the family nucleus to build morality and core values, the rest of the stats follow suit, naturally.

That is of course unless you believe the media and technology, IE the boob tube and iphones provide a more stable base for passing on moral judgement and sound character than parents at the dinner table.
My parents divorced when I was 8. I'm not living on welfare. In fact, I know quite a lot of people with divorced parents who aren't living on welfare. So try again.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Let's use your own graphs:

https://www.bsos.umd.edu/socy/vanneman/socy441/trends/divorce.jpg

https://www.bsos.umd.edu/socy/vanneman/socy441/trends/pov.gif

Shit...

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2011-02-04 10:48:58)

-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

All of it.

My parents divorced when I was 8. I'm not living on welfare. In fact, I know quite a lot of people with divorced parents who aren't living on welfare. So try again.
I'm sorry I didn't realize you represented the whole... I also come from divorced parents, but can't you see how the failure of the family CAN and does lead to other issues. I see it because my wife is a teacher, and I can tell you that parenting is getting worse. They don't have time or want time to raise their kids, and the kids, as well as the teachers, suffer for it. School isn't a place of learning, it is "free" babysitting. You should see the parents come unglued when there is a snow day, and they are actually FORCED to take care of their own kids.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA
are you arguing that in order to hold moral value, you must not be poor? really?

you do realize that we are talking about morals and values and not money.............right?

Last edited by lowing (2011-02-04 11:03:31)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

are you arguing that in order to hold moral value, you must not be poor? really?

you do realize that we are talking about morals and values and not money.............right?
No, but most crime is caused by a lack of money, not a lack of morals. You're trying to make the prayer in school argument. Sorry. Christians commit theft and murder and rape too.
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

No, but most crime is caused by a lack of money, not a lack of morals. You're trying to make the prayer in school argument. Sorry. Christians commit theft and murder and rape too.
Well gee, I wonder if there is any connection between a lack of money, and a lack of good parenting, a lack of ambition, a lack of motivation, a lack of guidance, a lack of a sound character base to form good decisions, a lack of............

also if you want to argue prayer in school does no good, then let me ask you, why do they offer it in prison? I mean why wait until the person goes to jail before the value of prayer is realized. Jail is a govt. institution as well right?

Last edited by lowing (2011-02-04 11:23:04)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

Well gee, I wonder if there is any connection between a lack of money, and a lack of good parenting, a lack of ambition, a lack of motivation, a lack of guidance, a lack of a sound character base to form good decisions, a lack of............
And it's never been any different from today, sorry.

Teachers have been saying "The kids get worse every year" since the dawn of education systems.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2011-02-04 11:21:42)

-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Teachers have been saying "The kids get worse every year" since the dawn of education systems.
uhhhhh well if we agree that the family nucleus is broken down to a far greater extent from 60 years ago, how can we not agree that the negative affects from that would not also increase?

and if teachers have been saying that since the dawn of the education system. Then it is also safe to assume that it is, therefore it is the worse to date. Which would be worse than 1950's. My point stands'

Last edited by lowing (2011-02-04 11:29:29)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

uhhhhh well if we agree that the family nucleus is broken down to a far greater extent from 60 years ago, how can we not agree that the negative affects from that would not also increase?
Because you haven't proven that the negative effects are all that great? Would you rather wives stay with abusive husbands that beat their kids? Would you rather kids grow up in a home where the parents don't love each other? Because by harping on divorce rates that's exactly what you're asking for. The end result is that wives get shamed by the stigma of divorce into staying with a bad match. People generally get divorced for very solid reasons. It's not a flip decision.

So here you go lowing, I'll help you with your argument. Find me a set of statistics:

Show me the incarceration and future income rate of children born into 'broken homes' vs those in 'stable homes'. Make sure the income for the broken homes and stable homes are as close to each other as possible.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

and if teachers have been saying that since the dawn of the education system. Then it is also safe to assume that it is, therefore it is the worse to date. Which would be worse than 1950's. My point stands'
You can't be serious. Teachers have been saying it because they themselves have changed over time. They're burnt out. They hate the kids more and more every year. That reflects in their attitude. Instead of looking inward and assessing their desire to continue teaching, they blame it on the kids. The kids haven't changed, they have.
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Because you haven't proven that the negative effects are all that great? Would you rather wives stay with abusive husbands that beat their kids? Would you rather kids grow up in a home where the parents don't love each other? Because by harping on divorce rates that's exactly what you're asking for. The end result is that wives get shamed by the stigma of divorce into staying with a bad match. People generally get divorced for very solid reasons. It's not a flip decision.

So here you go lowing, I'll help you with your argument. Find me a set of statistics:

Show me the incarceration and future income rate of children born into 'broken homes' vs those in 'stable homes'. Make sure the income for the broken homes and stable homes are as close to each other as possible.
was already on it, now take these stats and........
http://www.photius.com/feminocracy/fact … _kids.html
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

I see nothing related to income there.
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

thats because we are not talking about wealth John rather the moral declination of our country. I offered 1 good reason for it, you asked for proof, you got it, now whether you like it or not is of little concern to me.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

thats because we are not talking about wealth John rather the moral declination of our country. I offered 1 good reason for it, you asked for proof, you got it, now whether you like it or not is of little concern to me.
No, I asked for specific proof. You handed me a link with a bunch of quotes. "Kids from broken homes are more likely to drink and have sex" well no shit. They're the same as any other kids of their income level.
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

No, I asked for specific proof. You handed me a link with a bunch of quotes. "Kids from broken homes are more likely to drink and have sex" well no shit. They're the same as any other kids of their income level.
sorry, it gave stats on several issues, like crime then it sourced the stats it quoted. Again I don't give a shit if you like it or not, you got exactly what you asked for. The moral declination of our country is if only party attributed to the break up of the family.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

sorry, it gave stats on several issues, like crime then it sourced the stats it quoted. Again I don't give a shit if you like it or not, you got exactly what you asked for. The moral declination of our country is if only party attributed to the break up of the family.
How is our country morally in decline? 99% of the time that phrase is used it is simply tears being shed over the secularization of this country. I've got news for you, you don't need to read the bible to have morals.
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

How is our country morally in decline? 99% of the time that phrase is used it is simply tears being shed over the secularization of this country. I've got news for you, you don't need to read the bible to have morals.
Didn't say a word about religion or the bible. I talked about a stable family, and how the lack of it can aid in an individuals moral downfall, then I showed you stats ( which you asked for) to back up my opinion.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

Didn't say a word about religion or the bible. I talked about a stable family, and how the lack of it can aid in an individuals moral downfall, then I showed you stats ( which you asked for) to back up my opinion.
You're regurgitating the social conservative party line which is built on Christianity. The two are inseparable, sorry.
-Frederick Bastiat
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5992|Truthistan

JohnG@lt wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

If you haven't noticed, the recession is essentially over and we've had growth for the past six months. The economy had a hiccup, it did not fall off a cliff. It's normal.
Doesn't mean shit while your still amassing debt.
The debt is absolutely an issue but it's not nearly as debilitating (at this point) as what some other countries have racked up on a per capita basis.
Aussie is right. The Fed is re-inflating the economy. Bernanke is blowing wall streeters so hard that he must have blisters on his lips. He's on his knees hoping for a bukkake that's not coming. If you stand back and look at what the Fed is doing... the best case scenerio is stagflation.

We are amassing debt and our ability to stem a crisis like Egypt has been severely crippled. Like many families, the nation is only one or two crises away from the next leg down. Here look at this graph

https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/von%20havenstein/Food%20Stamp%20Feb.jpg

Yup that's a real recovery... just a blip... or are these people just a little speed bump for your Beemer as you drive to your job as a Goldman Sachs PR douche.

Anyway the point is that with all this domestic spending, the war spending, handing money out to the people who caused the financial problem, there's not much left to handle this new middle east crisis. The middle class is the only real tax payer in the country, the rest are either on some sort of welfare, food stamp or unemployment and the rich and the corporations who benefit most from our military presence abroad are hiding their cash and profits off shore and not paying tax to support military spending and support from these "friendly" regimes. The only people left to foot the bills are the ever shrinking middle class. Hate to burst your NY bubble but what you write about really doesn't jive with reality and we can only print so much money.

Just like the USSR couldn't afford to hold onto the eastern block countries, the weak US economy is really hurting US influence in the region. We are screwed... people just don't want to realize it and Congress won't act until it becomes a real crisis for us. So stick that in your tea party pipe and light it and tell me if you think it still smells rosy.

And today I watched as the news channels have started to get their rhetoric down regarding the rise of this Islamic movement disguised as democracy as actually being a potential threat to the US. Its a simple lesson in democracy, just because its democratic doesn't mean the result is going to be friendly or beneficial for you... just ask the illegals in Arizona.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

You're regurgitating the social conservative party line which is built on Christianity. The two are inseparable, sorry.
look you asked for the very stats I provided. Can't help it if you refuse to acknowledge them, nor do I care.

I am not thumping a bible here, I am not a Christian, but if you think a mother and a father, or 2 mothers or 2 fathers, make no difference in a persons life path, then you are simply fucked in the head. However, I am leaning toward you knowing what I said holds water, but agreeing would be boring.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6352

JohnG@lt wrote:

The Impact on our Children
Inter-spousal violence perpetrated by men is only a small aspect of family violence. False abuse allegations are only a small tile in the mosaic of vilifying the men in our society. They serve well in successful attempts to remove fathers from the lives of our children. Here are some statistics resulting from that which show more of the whole picture.
79.6% of custodial mothers receive a support award
29.9% of custodial fathers receive a support award.
46.9% of non-custodial mothers totally default on support.
26.9% of non-custodial fathers totally default on support.
20.0% of non-custodial mothers pay support at some level
61.0% of non-custodial fathers pay support at some level
66.2% of single custodial mothers work less than full time.
10.2% of single custodial fathers work less than full time.
7.0% of single custodial mothers work more than 44 hours weekly.
24.5% of single custodial fathers work more that 44 hours weekly.
46.2% of single custodial mothers receive public assistance.
20.8% of single custodial fathers receive public assistance.
[Technical Analysis Paper No. 42 - U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services - Office of Income Security Policy]
40% of mothers reported that they had interfered with the fathers visitation to punish their ex-spouse.
["Frequency of Visitation" by Sanford Braver, American Journal of Orthopsychiatry]
50% of mothers see no value in the fathers continued contact with his children.
["Surviving the Breakup" by Joan Berlin Kelly]
90.2% of fathers with joint custody pay the support due.
79.1% of fathers with visitation privileges pay the support due.
44.5% of fathers with no visitation pay the support due.
37.9% of fathers are denied any visitation.
66% of all support not paid by non-custodial fathers is due to the inability to pay.
[1988 Census "Child Support and Alimony: 1989 Series" P-60, No. 173 p.6-7, and "U.S. General Accounting Office Report" GAO/HRD-92-39FS January 1992]
63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes.
[U. S. D.H.H.S. Bureau of the Census]
90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes.
85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes.
[Center for Disease Control]
80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger come from fatherless homes.
[Criminal Justice and Behavior, Vol. 14 p. 403-26]
71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes.
[National Principals Association Report on the State of High Schools]
70% of juveniles in state operated institutions come from fatherless homes
[U.S. Dept. of Justice, Special Report, Sept., 1988]
85% of all youths sitting in prisons grew up in a fatherless home.
[Fulton County Georgia Jail Populations and Texas Dept. of Corrections, 1992]
Nearly 2 of every 5 children in America do not live with their fathers.
[US News and World Report, February 27, 1995, p.39]
There are:
11,268,000 total custodial mothers
2,907,000 total custodial fathers
[Current Populations Reports, US Bureau of the Census, Series P-20, No. 458, 1991]
What does this mean? Children from fatherless homes are:
4.6 times more likely to commit suicide,
6.6 times to become teenaged mothers (if they are girls, of course),
24.3 times more likely to run away,
15.3 times more likely to have behavioral disorders,
6.3 times more likely to be in a state-operated institutions,
10.8 times more likely to commit rape,
6.6 times more likely to drop out of school,
15.3 times more likely to end up in prison while a teenager.
(The calculation of the relative risks shown in the preceding list is based on 27% of children being in the care of single mothers.)

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2011-02-04 14:41:13)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6352

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

No, but most crime is caused by a lack of money, .
prove it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
lowing and H/J have derailed another thread into a neo-con rant.

Someone tody up plz and maybe we can get back to Egypt.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard