Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Sustained winds still 140 mph 160kmph ish?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5229|Cleveland, Ohio

Dilbert_X wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Got any major cities built below sea level in the path? ... if you want we can send your mayor Nagin

lol
We're not stupid, we don't build cities below sea level.
we're?  youre brit

and you are stupid enough to let brits test nukes in your backyard
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Got any major cities built below sea level in the path? ... if you want we can send your mayor Nagin

lol
To be fair there is a very valid historical reason for that port city being in that location.. But youre not stupid, so im sure you know that.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
11 Bravo
Banned

Kmar wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Kmar wrote:

lol
To be fair there is a very valid historical reason for that port city being in that location.. But your not stupid, so im sure you know that.
hes a troll.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

11 Bravo wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Kmar wrote:

lol
we're?  youre brit

And you guys tested nukes in your own back yard.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
11 Bravo
Banned

Dilbert_X wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

we're?  youre brit

its our backyard....
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Kmar wrote:

To be fair there is a very valid historical reason for that port city being in that location.. But youre not stupid, so im sure you know that.
Doesn't change the fact its underwater.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6140|'straya
and back on topic in 3..2...1..
11 Bravo
Banned

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

and back on topic in 3..2...1..
why?  what makes this more special than the other threads?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Doesn't change the fact its underwater.
Right. What's your point? It is our third largest port city for a reason. If the levies and pumps were maintained the way they were through 99% of that cities history katrina isn't a problem.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The point is Australia doesn't have any cities below sea-level.

Could be a different story tomorrow - then we'll need advice on how to wait a couple of days before deploying help in which case that Mayor guy could be invaluable, better fly him over right now actually.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Not going to derail anymore. I suggest you investigate the history of NO if you want to know why its location was and still is so important to the commerce of the US.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5170|Sydney
290kmph winds, what the fuck?!?

http://www.facebook.com/notes/queenslan … 2963532724

BOM TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 23 #TCYasi
by Queensland Police Service on Wednesday, 02 February 2011 at 23:02
VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts up to 290 km/h are developing between Cairns and Ingham and the adjacent ranges.
Due to the large size of the cyclone, people in the path of the VERY DESTRUCTIVE WINDS are likely to experience these conditions for about 3 to 4 hours.
DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts in excess of 125 km/h between Cape Tribulation and Ayr are expected to spread inland overnight.
DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 90 km/hr are occurring in remaining coastal areas between Cape Flattery and Proserpine, and are forecast to spread inland and west to Mt Isa during Thursday.

Winds are forecast to gradually ease about the east coast during Thursday morning as the cyclone moves inland.
FLOODING RAINS will develop from Cooktown to Proserpine tonight and gradually extend inland.
People in the path of the very dangerous cyclone should stay calm and remain in a secure shelter, above the expected water level, while the very destructive winds continue.

- Do not venture outside if you find yourself in the eye of the cyclone; very destructive winds from a different direction could resume at any time.
- Follow the evacuation advice or directions of Police, Emergency Services personnel and local authorities.
People in remaining areas between Cape Flattery and Proserpine and extending west across the tropical interior to the Northern Territory border, should complete preparations quickly and be prepared to shelter in a safe place.
- Boats and outside property should be secured.
- For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster Management Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au]
- For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [SES] on
132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on buildings or roof damage].
Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi at 11:00 pm EST:
.Centre located near...... 17.7 degrees South 146.6 degrees East .Location accuracy........ within 20 kilometres .Recent movement.......... towards the west southwest at 25 kilometres per hour .Wind gusts near centre... 285 kilometres per hour .Severity category........ 5 .Central pressure......... 930 hectoPascals
Please ensure that neighbours have heard and understood this message, particularly new arrivals or those who may not fully understand English.

The next advice will be issued by 12:00 am EST Thursday 03 February.
This warning is also available through TV and Radio Broadcasts; the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 212.  The Bureau and the State Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Cool storm, bro. Seriously though, I'd hate to be under that shit.

Dilbert_X wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

we're?  youre brit

To be fair, we also tested them in other people's back yards. But why should Australia do it when they can let the British nuke them?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6122|North Tonawanda, NY

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

we're?  youre brit

To be fair, we also tested them in other people's back yards. But why should Australia do it when they can let the British nuke them?
And the US let the Brits nuke Nevada...nearly 30 times, lol

Last edited by SenorToenails (2011-02-02 18:58:02)

11 Bravo
Banned

SenorToenails wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

And the US let the Brits nuke Nevada...nearly 30 times, lol
lol
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Jaekus wrote:

290kmph winds, what the fuck?!?

http://www.facebook.com/notes/queenslan … 2963532724

BOM TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 23 #TCYasi
by Queensland Police Service on Wednesday, 02 February 2011 at 23:02
VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts up to 290 km/h are developing between Cairns and Ingham and the adjacent ranges.
Due to the large size of the cyclone, people in the path of the VERY DESTRUCTIVE WINDS are likely to experience these conditions for about 3 to 4 hours.
DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts in excess of 125 km/h between Cape Tribulation and Ayr are expected to spread inland overnight.
DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 90 km/hr are occurring in remaining coastal areas between Cape Flattery and Proserpine, and are forecast to spread inland and west to Mt Isa during Thursday.

Winds are forecast to gradually ease about the east coast during Thursday morning as the cyclone moves inland.
FLOODING RAINS will develop from Cooktown to Proserpine tonight and gradually extend inland.
People in the path of the very dangerous cyclone should stay calm and remain in a secure shelter, above the expected water level, while the very destructive winds continue.

- Do not venture outside if you find yourself in the eye of the cyclone; very destructive winds from a different direction could resume at any time.
- Follow the evacuation advice or directions of Police, Emergency Services personnel and local authorities.
People in remaining areas between Cape Flattery and Proserpine and extending west across the tropical interior to the Northern Territory border, should complete preparations quickly and be prepared to shelter in a safe place.
- Boats and outside property should be secured.
- For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster Management Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au]
- For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [SES] on
132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on buildings or roof damage].
Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi at 11:00 pm EST:
.Centre located near...... 17.7 degrees South 146.6 degrees East .Location accuracy........ within 20 kilometres .Recent movement.......... towards the west southwest at 25 kilometres per hour .Wind gusts near centre... 285 kilometres per hour .Severity category........ 5 .Central pressure......... 930 hectoPascals
Please ensure that neighbours have heard and understood this message, particularly new arrivals or those who may not fully understand English.

The next advice will be issued by 12:00 am EST Thursday 03 February.
This warning is also available through TV and Radio Broadcasts; the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 212.  The Bureau and the State Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.
had to be gust.. but even so, prolly a record for you guys.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Everyone actually took the warnings this time.
Well... and maybe a little bit of luck..

"Numerous emergency calls were made by residents trapped in their homes near the height of the storm. However, their calls could not be acted upon as conditions were too dangerous for police to travel in. One instance was six people trapped in an apartment complex at Port Hinchinbrook near Cardwell who could not be rescued. The building was threatened by Yasi's storm surge which exceeded 3 m (9.8 ft). The group were later reported to be safe."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_Tro … clone_Yasi

Residents Are Panicking As "The Deadliest Cyclone In Generations" Is Bearing Down On Queensland
Australis's season of biblically bad weather continues today, as Cyclone Yasi prepares to bear down on Queensland, with the city of Cairns (population 122K, per Wikipedia) right in the line of fire. The Sydney Morning Herald reports that panicked residents are fleeing, but that they've been told it's too late. At this point they must just hunker down for what is being described as "the deadliest cyclone in generations."
Hope everyone made it out relatively unscathed. How dense is the population where it made landfall? Cairns looks to be pretty low. Thank goodness.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6713|Sydney, Australia
The Australian reports that two men have been confirmed missing.

One man was reportedly missing after being in a boat in Port Hinchinbrook during the cyclone, Deputy Commissioner Stewart added.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6140|'straya

Kmar wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Everyone actually took the warnings this time.
Well... and maybe a little bit of luck..

"Numerous emergency calls were made by residents trapped in their homes near the height of the storm. However, their calls could not be acted upon as conditions were too dangerous for police to travel in. One instance was six people trapped in an apartment complex at Port Hinchinbrook near Cardwell who could not be rescued. The building was threatened by Yasi's storm surge which exceeded 3 m (9.8 ft). The group were later reported to be safe."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_Tro … clone_Yasi

Residents Are Panicking As "The Deadliest Cyclone In Generations" Is Bearing Down On Queensland
Australis's season of biblically bad weather continues today, as Cyclone Yasi prepares to bear down on Queensland, with the city of Cairns (population 122K, per Wikipedia) right in the line of fire. The Sydney Morning Herald reports that panicked residents are fleeing, but that they've been told it's too late. At this point they must just hunker down for what is being described as "the deadliest cyclone in generations."
Hope everyone made it out relatively unscathed. How dense is the population where it made landfall? Cairns looks to be pretty low. Thank goodness.
Well this time many of the evacuation centres were actually full and turning away people, so it seems at least the majority of the population took the warning. All the elderly/hopitalised people were flown out by the RAAF the day before.

Hopefully these missing people turn up, but there are still people "missing" from the floods 3 weeks ago.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Turning away people? You can't be serious .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6214|Brisneyland
They turned people away because there was not enough room in the emergency shelters. From memory they only had capacity for 10000 people in shelters. Cairns itself has more people than that. Fortunately most of the newer houses in Cairns are Cyclone rated. In most cases if a house loses its roof, its still preferable to stay in the house  (under a table or something).

This was handled very well by authorities. Although luck was involved, good preparation saved many lives here. There may be some examples of panic, but for the most part peope did the right thing, and as a result survived.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6214|Brisneyland
Heres some interesting photos that were emailed to me recently. It shows an example of the recent floods around Grantham.

The attached 4 photos show how quickly the floods happened on a
farm at Helidon on Monday 10.01.2011.
He has never had water on his cultivation before.

Lockyer Creek runs behind his cultivation.
The times on the photos say it all.
He is upstream from Grantham which got the full force of the creek, and another creek (Flagstone Creek)

Which joins into it just before Grantham.
https://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo49/burwhale/pic1.jpg

https://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo49/burwhale/pic2.jpg

https://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo49/burwhale/pic3.jpg

https://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo49/burwhale/pic4.jpg

I an very sceptical of emails like this, but it seems about right to me, considering how fast Grantham was wiped off the map.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Burwhale wrote:

They turned people away because there was not enough room in the emergency shelters. From memory they only had capacity for 10000 people in shelters. Cairns itself has more people than that. Fortunately most of the newer houses in Cairns are Cyclone rated. In most cases if a house loses its roof, its still preferable to stay in the house  (under a table or something).

This was handled very well by authorities. Although luck was involved, good preparation saved many lives here. There may be some examples of panic, but for the most part peope did the right thing, and as a result survived.
Do you have a link to an article that talks about not being able to handle evauees?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Nm .. found one.

I found this article on Reuters Mobile (us.mobile.reuters.com) and thought you might find it interesting:

Frightened Australian cyclone evacuees turned away
http://www.reuters.com/article/idINLNE71102E20110202
wow that sucks. How frequently are you guys hit with cyclones? I wonder if there will be any fallout or new planning to deal with this.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard