+5,830|6488

we got the panama canal back?
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6464|Kakanien

Mekstizzle wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

would you deny americans the right to revolt against british authoritarianism because of the risk of america forming a christian state?

no?

okay then. it's their future.
Different as they were escaping persecution and wished to be left alone.  The Mooslim Brotherhood tends to produce characters that want to/try to/actually kill my brethren.  Another iran isn't in the best interest of the world.
I don't know who or what they are, but according to this. They're not the terrorist type. They are critical of Western policy though, which I guess makes them as good as the terrorist type for most people.

The country's only properly organised mass political movement outside the ruling party is the Muslim Brotherhood, and it would do very well in any free election.

Unlike the jihadis, it does not believe it is at war with the West. It is conservative, moderate and non-violent. But it is highly critical of Western policy in the Middle East.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12325128

One thing I don't agree on is that if Egypt falls the rest will. The rest have tons of oil money, to keep the military/police well equipped and super rich, and the oil-rich Arab countries are mostly full of foreigners doing all the work whilst the locals get fat from huge cheques from the government. No chance of a revolution in them countries.
domino theorists during the cold war knew their shit
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6488

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

iknow, rite? first Tunisia, now Egypt! who do you think is next?
13rin
+977|6470

Uzique wrote:

you have a severely retarded world view.

what are you protecting in principle and ideology of your beloved, threatened 'homeland' if you scorn and contempt other's freedom and liberty?

you're a hypocrit
And you see this 'revolution' through a pair of near sighted rose colored glasses.   This isn't the freedom democracy charge you claim it to be.  Does mubarak need to go?  Probably.  But does a group like the muslim brotherhood need to take over?  What next then... How much freedom does the general populous have then?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

what are you protecting in principle and ideology of your beloved, threatened 'homeland' if you scorn and contempt other's freedom and liberty?

you're a hypocrit
And you see this 'revolution' through a pair of near sighted rose colored glasses.   This isn't the freedom democracy charge you claim it to be.  Does mubarak need to go?  Probably.  But does a group like the muslim brotherhood need to take over?  What next then... How much freedom does the general populous have then?
End result is even less democratic than the present.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13rin
+977|6470

JohnG@lt wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

you're a hypocrit
End result is even less democratic than the present.
Shhhh... Don't ruin the illusion.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6528|Long Island, New York

burnzz wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Looks like Syria. Or Yemen.
13rin
+977|6470
Jordan perhaps.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5990|Vortex Ring State
anywhere in the Maghreb or Middle East

probably not Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6464|Kakanien

burnzz wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

moldova, guyana and bhutan

you heard it here first
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina

Uzique wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Uzique wrote:

western news companies love to focus on minor trivial shit so that the bigger picture and the underlying ideological/political problems posed aren't too 'unsettling' for couch-surfing western audiences. nobody wants to think about the massive power-play at hand with the potential turning of egypt from america's bitch to a self-determining state... so it's all "OH! LOOK! museum got dumped!" western media is hilarious: when it suits them they're inciting terror, fear and mass paranoia to their ends, when the tide turns they just want to trivialize and marginalize real news.
Media critiques aside, it is a valid issue to discuss whether or not removing Mubarak will result in the formation of an Islamist state.

On the one hand, Mubarak's rule has been authoritarian, and the people want more freedoms.  On the other hand, Iran went through a similar process and ended up with a new government worse than the last.
would you deny americans the right to revolt against british authoritarianism because of the risk of america forming a christian state?

no?

okay then. it's their future.
You're misinterpreting me.  I'm not advocating intervention on our part.  I'm also not defending Mubarak's regime.

I'm simply pointing out why the West's reception of Egypt's evolving revolution is lukewarm.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

western news companies love to focus on minor trivial shit so that the bigger picture and the underlying ideological/political problems posed aren't too 'unsettling' for couch-surfing western audiences. nobody wants to think about the massive power-play at hand with the potential turning of egypt from america's bitch to a self-determining state... so it's all "OH! LOOK! museum got dumped!" western media is hilarious: when it suits them they're inciting terror, fear and mass paranoia to their ends, when the tide turns they just want to trivialize and marginalize real news.
zomg they're spraypainting tanks! Spraypaint! On tanks!
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

What's that word that Uzique is so fond of? Ahh right, puerile.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

you're a hypocrit
And you see this 'revolution' through a pair of near sighted rose colored glasses.
You're seeing it as a religious uprising organised by the terrorist muslim brotherhood. There are so many things wrong with that view (wrong as in, factually wrong) that merely reading abit more on the situation you'd realise it's not that. Only once you understand what's actually going on there will you be able to move on from your view of "supress them with a dictator, keep the terrists dead for freedom and my brethren"
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6488

Dilbert_X wrote:

silly dilbert! in this particular revolution, the army is not involved - hence the people are not painting tanks, at all!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

What's that word that Uzique is so fond of? Ahh right, puerile.
That was the point, thats the level of some of the reporting.
silly dilbert! in this particular revolution, the army is not involved - hence the people are not painting tanks, at all!
"Thousands in the city defied the Mubarak regime's 4 p.m.-to-8 a.m. curfew, marching in smoke-filled streets and gathering in Tahrir Square to shout disapproval of his new appointees and his refusal to renounce power.

But soldiers mainly stood by, sharing hugs and smiles with the crowd, posing for pictures and even letting some people climb onto tanks and spray-paint anti-Mubarak slogans."
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/internatio … HcYDe30m4K

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-01-31 14:29:52)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
13rin
+977|6470

Mekstizzle wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

you're a hypocrit
And you see this 'revolution' through a pair of near sighted rose colored glasses.
You're seeing it as a religious uprising organised by the terrorist muslim brotherhood. There are so many things wrong with that view (wrong as in, factually wrong) that merely reading abit more on the situation you'd realise it's not that. Only once you understand what's actually going on there will you be able to move on from your view of "supress them with a dictator, keep the terrists dead for freedom and my brethren"
Er... No, I'm not.  I just recognize that the MB will garner tons more power than they have.  That's a bad thing for my people.  Really?  No.  You need to go read about the MB in egypt.  Fuck those guys.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6546
The valuable lesson here is that you can't keep people down forever. Fair play to the Egyptian people for finally getting the gonads to go out and do something about their plight. Depending on how this plays out middle eastern diplomacy may need to be rewritten from scratch. It's amazing how no political analyst really foresaw this. I predict a democracy in Egypt where the 'big bad' Muslim brotherhood obtain a minority of the vote. El Baradei for president. I was beginning to despair of the Arab attitude of 'insh'Allah' - 'if Allah wills it' - sitting on their tod moaning but never taking any initiative. Hopefully Arab politics will become more representative of their people and respond to the problems in their societies.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2011-01-31 15:51:46)

13rin
+977|6470

CameronPoe wrote:

The valuable lesson here is that you can't keep people down forever. Fair play to the Egyptian people for finally getting the gonads to go out and do something about their plight. Depending on how this plays out middle eastern diplomacy may need to be rewritten from scratch. It's amazing how no political analyst really foresaw this. I predict a democracy in Egypt where the 'big bad' Muslim brotherhood obtain a minority of the vote. El Baradei for president. I was beginning to despair of the Arab attitude of 'insh'Allah' - 'if Allah wills it' - sitting on their tod moaning but never taking any initiative. Hopefully Arab politics will become more representative of their people and respond to the problems in their societies.
I hope you're right Cam, but I doubt it.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6528|Long Island, New York
https://i.huffpost.com/gen/243033/FOXNEWS-EGYPT.jpg
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5990|Vortex Ring State

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

burnzz wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

you heard it here first
fuckin prophet
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6488

Trotskygrad wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

burnzz wrote:

you heard it here first
fuckin prophet
1. moldova
2. guyana
3. bhutan
4. ???
5. prophet!
13rin
+977|6470
What's your point?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

DBBrinson1 wrote:

What's your point?
That you're in de-nial.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
13rin
+977|6470
ah ha.. wasn't looking at egypt, but jordan.  Ya, that's mass fail.  So what does it have to do with this thread?
*saw that too: Gates 2yrs old.. relevant.

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2011-01-31 21:06:26)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard