Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6214|Brisneyland
He becomes one of only 10 currently living VC holders in the world

Source

An account of the days events that earned him a VC.

The Australian wrote:

Under furious enemy fire Trooper Donaldson moved rapidly between alternative positions engaging the Taliban with his M4 carbine and 66mm and 84mm shoulder-fired rockets.

"He deliberately exposed himself to enemy fire in order to draw attention to himself and thus away from wounded soldiers," the citation says.

"This selfless act alone brought enough time for those wounded to be moved to relative safety."

But, there was more.

With the wounded, nine of them Australian, piled onto the vehicles the convoy began to withdraw with covering fire provided by Afghan US and Australian special forces soldiers sheltering beside the vehicles.

Those soldiers still fit to fight had to jog alongside the vehicles.

There was no space onboard, due to the large number of wounded.

One of the last to leave, Trooper Donaldson, spotted the Afghan interpreter lying wounded in open ground more than 80m away. "His movement, once identified by the enemy, drew intense and accurate machine gun fire from entrenched positions," the citation says.

"Upon reaching the wounded coalition force interpreter, Trooper Donaldson picked him up and carried him back to the relative safety of the vehicles and then provided immediate first aid before returning to the fight."
What impressed me was that he is so unaffected by it.

Trooper Donaldson wrote:

"I don't see myself as a hero, honestly. I still see myself as a soldier first and foremost."
He wants to return to Afghanistan to continue to serve with his mates.
BVC
+325|6687
Well done, that man!
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6503|Gold Coast
Kick ass!
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6518|London (At Heart)

Good man, you often find people who earn the VC do not believe that they have done anything special.

They deserve the honour for their outstanding bravery.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Well deserved.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Karbin
+42|6286
"Smoky" Smith VC
" I'm not a hero. All my hero's are buried over there".

Smith took out two MK 4 Panzer's with a PIAT, engaged a platoon with nothing more them a Tommy Gun, carried his wounded number 2 to a aid station then went back and held the position till dawn.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6759
Good work. Lets hope they all come home in 1 piece very soon.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6673|Disaster Free Zone
Good one him. Much respect for all VC recipients.

Though I don't like the journalism. ie.
"His movement, once identified by the enemy, drew intense and accurate machine gun fire from entrenched positions,"
Don't you think he would have been hit if it was 'accurate'?
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6214|Brisneyland

DrunkFace wrote:

Good one him. Much respect for all VC recipients.

Though I don't like the journalism. ie.
"His movement, once identified by the enemy, drew intense and accurate machine gun fire from entrenched positions,"
Don't you think he would have been hit if it was 'accurate'?
Actually I think thats the terminology they use in the official defense report. Does sound strange though.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6214|Escea

Kudos Aussie, well deserved
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6541|UK

bravo
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6214|Brisneyland
Looks like another Aussie has earned a Victoria Cross.
link

The bravery of this guy blows me away. His colleagues describe him as the closest thing to a Spartan Warrior there is. Reading his story, they may be right.

The Age wrote:

The VC citation states the unit was immediately pinned down by machine gun and rocket propelled grenade fire from elevated Taliban positions, and two soldiers were wounded.

Under covering fire, Cpl Roberts-Smith and his patrol manoeuvred to within 70 metres of three Taliban machine guns in a fortified position south of the village.

The patrol commenced an attack on the position but after getting within 40 metres were prevented from going further by heavy and sustained fire.

As Cpl Roberts-Smith headed toward a small building that provided some cover, he saw an insurgent ready to engage his patrol so instantly shot him dead at point-blank range.

He then showed his own position to the insurgent machine gunners to draw fire away from his patrol, enabling his patrol commander to throw a grenade and silence one of the guns.

"Seizing the advantage, and demonstrating extreme devotion to duty and the most conspicuous gallantry, Corporal Roberts-Smith, with a total disregard for his own safety, stormed the enemy position, killing the two remaining machine gunners," the citation reads.

Cpl Roberts-Smith went on to attack other positions and he and another patrol member killed more insurgents as his troop, no longer pinned down, cleared the village of Taliban.
He is very modest about the whole thing, and wants the award to go to his whole unit.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
SASR motherfuckers are bad to the bone.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6346
We need more people like this and we also need to recognize the ones we have and award them. To date they mostly met with slander here and elsewhere.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5991|Vortex Ring State

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

To date they mostly met with slander here and elsewhere.
Let's not politicize this mhm?

Respect for this guy, and other VC recipients.

I guess that interpreter is going to be telling all his buddies how the Coalition actually cares about them... That's good
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6705|Purplicious Wisconsin

Burwhale wrote:

He is very modest about the whole thing, and wants the award to go to his whole unit.
I'd honestly be modest if I did such things. Real soldiers act modest.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
Yeah it is a curious thing that winners of things like the Victoria Cross or Medal of Honor are always so modest. I guess if it's in your nature to do the sorts of things that earn you one, you won't think much of doing something that just comes naturally.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...
It's because you know that if it wasnt for your teammates you wouldn't be standing there to receive it in the first place. Nobody in military service likes to be put on a pedestal in such a manner.
inane little opines
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6346

Trotskygrad wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

To date they mostly met with slander here and elsewhere.
Let's not politicize this mhm?

Respect for this guy, and other VC recipients.

I guess that interpreter is going to be telling all his buddies how the Coalition actually cares about them... That's good
I'm sorry ~ did I politicize this ? If so, where ? just Pm so as not to derail.

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2011-01-23 09:01:21)

CC-Marley
+407|6820
Animal mother....awesome.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Yeah it is a curious thing that winners of things like the Victoria Cross or Medal of Honor are always so modest. I guess if it's in your nature to do the sorts of things that earn you one, you won't think much of doing something that just comes naturally.
Its the difference betwen doers and talkers.

Brave guy, we owe it to people like this not to put them in harm's way without good reason.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6346
up 7 posts

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard