Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

FloppY_ wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

If you want to take LED vs LCD televisions to compare, LCD is still ahead in image quality
No. They're both just as good.
Not the last time the major sites reviewed them...

afaik colour is off abit on LEDs
Not in my experience....

Do you have both? I really can't imagine you actually having both to compare, whereas I spend all day using a nice 27" LED backlit display alongside a 24" S-IPS LCD display.

I much prefer the LED displays I use to the LCD displays I use.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6286|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Bertster7 wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Not in my experience....

Do you have both? I really can't imagine you actually having both to compare, whereas I spend all day using a nice 27" LED backlit display alongside a 24" S-IPS LCD display.

I can only say what I read on trusted review sites..

I still have an Old 21" CRT I'm waiting for to die...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6198|Winland

If you were to stick the same LCD panel on a frame with LED backlight, and one with CCFLs, the result would be pretty much the same, as long as both backlights are made to have the same colour temperature. Neither would be more accurate, since it's the LCD panel that's the bottleneck; the backlight is essentially the water that you put in your coffee brewer.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
FloppY_
­

Freezer7Pro wrote:

If you were to stick the same LCD panel on a frame with LED backlight, and one with CCFLs, the result would be pretty much the same, as long as both backlights are made to have the same colour temperature. Neither would be more accurate, since it's the LCD panel that's the bottleneck; the backlight is essentially the water that you put in your coffee brewer.
True

I think I confused that with comparing OLED and LCD
Defiance
+438|6671

Bertster7 wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Not in my experience....

What type of panel do you have in the LED backlit display? I can't imagine someone honestly saying LED TN > CCFL S-IPS.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Well, I've been operating mainly from a P8600 / 4GB / 9600MGT laptop, and have started to once again run into constraints for gaming settings/performance. So, upgrade time. Here's the issues:

1) My eye on the GeForce 570. However, I have an unused low-profile 9800GT lying around just begging to be a PhysX card. If I go with Sandy Bridge, I don't really have much of an option to add some future supersale 570 to the mix. But by then, the next in the GTX series might be out along with an LGA2011.
2) I'd really rather not sit around and wait for LGA2011, but will if it's really the best choice.
3) LGA1155's 16 PCIe lane limitation shouldn't hurt performance that much, but I wouldn't want to waste money on one with an NF200 chipset just so I could potentially run on 8x4x4.
4) LGA1366 gives me room for 16x8x8, but seems like a dead end. Its Gulftown CPU's may or may not decrease significantly in price soon enough to compensate, and could just fade away into oblivion, remaining as expensive as ever...

So without mentioning any other components:

X58+i7-950 (allowance of ~$200+$330)
or...
P67+2600K? [allowance of ~$200+$330 ($220 with 2500K)]

Applications:

Gaming, heavy image/video/music editing. Probably not going to matter too much worth a spit either way.
FloppY_
­

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Well, I've been operating mainly from a P8600 / 4GB / 9600MGT laptop, and have started to once again run into constraints for gaming settings/performance. So, upgrade time. Here's the issues:

1) My eye on the GeForce 570. However, I have an unused low-profile 9800GT lying around just begging to be a PhysX card. If I go with Sandy Bridge, I don't really have much of an option to add some future supersale 570 to the mix. But by then, the next in the GTX series might be out along with an LGA2011.
2) I'd really rather not sit around and wait for LGA2011, but will if it's really the best choice.
3) LGA1155's 16 PCIe lane limitation shouldn't hurt performance that much, but I wouldn't want to waste money on one with an NF200 chipset just so I could potentially run on 8x4x4.
4) LGA1366 gives me room for 16x8x8, but seems like a dead end. Its Gulftown CPU's may or may not decrease significantly in price soon enough to compensate, and could just fade away into oblivion, remaining as expensive as ever...

or...

Applications:

Gaming, heavy image/video/music editing. Probably not going to matter too much worth a spit either way.
imo you shouldn't consider dual-gpu unless you have some magically good second-hand market... (it certainly doesn't apply here in DK)
I've allways found 1great card better than 1good+1good later....

I can give no advice on AMD (P67???) vs Intel since I've never had the former nor bothered to look into it...
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6659|BC, Canada

FloppY_ wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

or...

Applications:

imo you shouldn't consider dual-gpu unless you have some magically good second-hand market... (it certainly doesn't apply here in DK)

I can give no advice on AMD (P67???) vs Intel since I've never had the former nor bothered to look into it...
If I were buying new right now, I would go 2600k with a Gigabyte P67-UD5 or Asus Maximus IV. I've wanted a dual gpu set up for awhile now, just for shits and giggles, and it doesn't hurt anything to allow for another card when prices drop, just make sure you get a capible psu and mobo now. As far as waiting on a new cpu to drop, you could always be waiting for better.
FloppY_
­

Nic wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

or...

Applications:

If I were buying new right now, I would go 2600k with a Gigabyte P67-UD5 or Asus Maximus IV. I've wanted a dual gpu set up for awhile now, just for shits and giggles, and it doesn't hurt anything to allow for another card when prices drop, just make sure you get a capible psu and mobo now. As far as waiting on a new cpu to drop, you could always be waiting for better.
Yeah, never wait for new tech unless a date is already fixed and in the near future...
You can wait forever that way...

As for Dual GPU, it may be the difference in prices from here to there, but I don't get why buying two decent cards would be better than a single great one that keeps up with them without costing more...
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6415|Finland

So it is official, AMD rebrands HD 57xx to HD 67xx.

http://www.techpowerup.com/138823/AMD-S … -OEMs.html
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
FloppY_
­

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

What a horrible thing to do... I mean, us tech-geeks can laugh at this, but what about those people who buy this because they think it's an upgrade on their past generation card?
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6415|Finland

FloppY_ wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

What a horrible thing to do... I mean, us tech-geeks can laugh at this, but what about those people who buy this because they think it's an upgrade on their past generation card?
Exactly what OEMs want tbh.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2011-01-21 03:25:43)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya

FloppY_ wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

It's not exactly a new trick. Nvidia have been doing it for years so inb4nvidiavsaamd
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6659|BC, Canada

FloppY_ wrote:

Nic wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Yeah, never wait for new tech unless a date is already fixed and in the near future...

As for Dual GPU, it may be the difference in prices from here to there, but I don't get why buying two decent cards would be better than a single great one that keeps up with them without costing more...
I would say the 570 is much more than a decent card, and no single gpu will match 2 of them in sli.
FloppY_
­

Nic wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Nic wrote:

I would say the 570 is much more than a decent card, and no single gpu will match 2 of them in sli.
ok then... two top-of-the-line GPUs are even dumber imo...

When you are talking that kind of money for GPUs you have two options: Do it because you have money for garbage  or  Don't do it and buy a single card that will run any game out there just fine on max...

If you must throw away that kind of money at least get Xfire 6950s as they are cheaper and just as fast as the 570s, they actually rival even the SLI 580s in games, but only because that amount of power is overkill... nothing uses it....

And don't pull that "futureproofing" shit, 1 of those beasts IS futureproof in it's own, when it starts getting overtaken by something better, spend those money from the 2nd card there INSTEAD!

get... a... single... card...

inb4 flame

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/01/ … i_review/1

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1 … s-sli.html

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-01-21 04:57:26)

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6659|BC, Canada
Sorry, not getting into floppyspointlesstechargument #76887867449.

@ Unnamednewbie
I stand by my reccomendation. Apparently the EFI bios is quite easy and comfortable to use, you get to click away with your mouse instead of keyboard.
I would paste the link to a review of it, but this work computer isn't allowing it. Theres a good one at Overclock3D.net.
As far as a multi-gpu configuration, there really is no good argument against building your computer with multiple upgrade paths. Leave your options open, and if you find down the road that a single gpu offers a better price/performance gain than another of the same, you can go for it. Otherwise you can go multi-gpu.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Just to reiterate, it's already going to be two cards. The 9800GT will go in so I can play with dedicated physx (nevermind that it's overpowered for the application...I probably couldn't sell it for a handful of movie tickets now).

With the P67, I can run 8x8 with two cards, but three cards (with an NF200 board) would bring it down to 8x4x4. Hardly worthwhile, even if another 570 drops to some ludicrous newegg price over the course of a weekend in a year and a half, but I believe I'd see more immediate benefits from the 2600K CPU. With an X58, I could start out at 16x16 (whooptie do, the second one's a physics card), with the possible eventuality of 16x8x8. Unless I was pushing either machine's limits, I doubt I'd see much of an impact (if any) on frame rate either way.

What stopped me was the similarity in price, and the fact that the P67 boxes me in with mainstream limitations, while the X58 boxes me in with the socket's impending (even for computers) obsolescence.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6198|Winland

https://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/FF_CCSa1F/Owdelld.jpg

Dell are complete cunts. If you don't get the SX260 with the optical drive integrated, you can't install an OS from anything but the recovery partition on the original hard drive, unless you purchase an ODD for it.

Unless, of course, you own a small IDE-big IDE adapter, he he.

Dell can suck it.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6659|BC, Canada

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Just to reiterate, it's already going to be two cards. The 9800GT will go in so I can play with dedicated physx (nevermind that it's overpowered for the application...I probably couldn't sell it for a handful of movie tickets now).

With the P67, I can run 8x8 with two cards, but three cards (with an NF200 board) would bring it down to 8x4x4. Hardly worthwhile, even if another 570 drops to some ludicrous newegg price over the course of a weekend in a year and a half, but I believe I'd see more immediate benefits from the 2600K CPU. With an X58, I could start out at 16x16 (whooptie do, the second one's a physics card), with the possible eventuality of 16x8x8. Unless I was pushing either machine's limits, I doubt I'd see much of an impact (if any) on frame rate either way.

What stopped me was the similarity in price, and the fact that the P67 boxes me in with mainstream limitations, while the X58 boxes me in with the socket's impending (even for computers) obsolescence.
Heres that article I was talking about, It gives comparisons between  LGA1366, LGA1156, and LGA1155 set ups as well.
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_ … e_review/1
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6659|BC, Canada
Just installed a Corsair A70 on a comp I'm building, and damn its big with fans on. Defiantly not a buy if you want to use all Dimms with tall heat spreaders on your RAM.
Couple pics from my phone:
https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/twigmar/2011-01-22045726.jpg

https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/twigmar/2011-01-22045809.jpg

Gigabytes 6850 is no midget either:
https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/twigmar/2011-01-22050016.jpg

https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/twigmar/2011-01-22050034.jpg
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
that actually looks more like a nuclear bomb than a home PC, i won't lie.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6627|UK

FatherTed wrote:

terrorist!
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6659|BC, Canada

FatherTed wrote:

An Irish man would know.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6312

My mom wants a netbook to travel to Europe with.

$250 sound like a good deal for an Acer Aspire One 1.6GHz, 160GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 10" 1024x600 ?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Defiance wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Not in my experience....

What type of panel do you have in the LED backlit display? I can't imagine someone honestly saying LED TN > CCFL S-IPS.
It's also an IPS panel.

24" iMac compared to 27" Cinema Display.

Ultimately LED backlighting is only going to provide a more even backlight - leading to better overall image quality. Colour will only be postively affected by this. They also burn your eyes less, which is good when starring at them all day.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard