ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Uzique wrote:

grey goose is the most over-rated status signifying drink going around right now

it's like an instant douchebag-notifier when you're in a club... check for the table of rahs with their conspicuously placed grey goose

what a joke
If I have a table in a club then we'll usually have Grey Goose, but that's mostly because the options are usually that or Belvedere, and then some ridiculously overpriced bottle of Stoli.
CC-Marley
+407|6829
Nothing is wrong with Goose.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

burnzz wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Fifty dollars for 750 milliliters isn't expensive?
750 milliliters? Did you move to Europe sometime recently?
why can't you fuckers call it a fifth like everyone else.

Everyone else does it in litres. The US is the exception, not the norm.

nukchebi0 wrote:

Gray Goose is the only high end alcohol that seems to be worth the exorbitant sums paid for it.
I think not.

There is a far greater difference between cheaper wines and champagnes than you see with vodka. I've certainly never been impressed by Grey Goose - a good bottle of champagne or a decent claret though, now they impress me a great deal...
Defiance
+438|6672

Bertster7 wrote:

Even my English friends refer to a 750ml bottle as a fifth, just because it's the 'common' term. Outside the US, do people usually say 750ml in conversation?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Defiance wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Even my English friends refer to a 750ml bottle as a fifth, just because it's the 'common' term. Outside the US, do people usually say 750ml in conversation?
Yup.

I've never heard anyone call it a fifth in England. Ever. It's not like I don't buy a LOT of 750ml bottles, every bottle of wine I buy is that size.

We call it a bottle. 37.5ml is a half bottle and so on...

Last edited by Bertster7 (2011-01-19 10:35:17)

RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51
Silly Amerifags

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6739|Toronto | Canada

mickey (375mL), 26er (750mL), 40 (1200mL), 60 (1800mL) is the slang for the sizes here.  was so the first time i went to a liquor store.  ive never heard of a fifth though
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51

Winston_Churchill wrote:

mickey (375mL), 26er (750mL), 40 (1200mL), 60 (1800mL) is the slang for the sizes here.  was so the first time i went to a liquor store.  ive never heard of a fifth though
Even sillier canadafags

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6739|Toronto | Canada

yeah it is quite dumb, not really sure why the common usage is in terms of oz
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Winston_Churchill wrote:

yeah it is quite dumb, not really sure why the common usage is in terms of oz
Because your parent country still uses the British system. A fifth is a fifth of a gallon.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Bertster7 wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Yup.

I've never heard anyone call it a fifth in England. Ever. It's not like I don't buy a LOT of 750ml bottles, every bottle of wine I buy is that size.
well you definitely wouldn't hear wine referred to as a fifth.  It's more a term for liquor.  Also, I think a fifth is a little more than 750ml?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Yup.

well you definitely wouldn't hear wine referred to as a fifth.  It's more a term for liquor.  Also, I think a fifth is a little more than 750ml?
757mL
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

Bertster7 wrote:

two days ago, Camm asked me what a "fifth" was. at that time i realized the term wasn't universal. i'm sorry my 'colloquialism' is showing
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

burnzz wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

two days ago, Camm asked me what a "fifth" was. at that time i realized the term wasn't universal. i'm sorry my 'colloquialism' is showing
You're lucky you didn't call it a handle!
-Frederick Bastiat
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Yup.

For spirits it's still just referred to as a bottle over here. Though you wouldn't get the bigger versions for spirits, you wouldn't have a jeroboam of spirits for example....
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5962|Places 'n such
Screw your non SI units... I want to buy my vodka by the cubic metre
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Bertster7 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Yup.

For spirits it's still just referred to as a bottle over here. Though you wouldn't get the bigger versions for spirits, you wouldn't have a jeroboam of spirits for example....
here it's fifth, handle, etc.  or just a bottle.  but yeah, wine/champagne terms are definitely not interchangeable with liquor terms.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

here it's fifth, handle, etc.  or just a bottle.  but yeah, wine/champagne terms are definitely not interchangeable with liquor terms.
I watched an old roommate chug an entire handle of Jack once. It was a sight to behold.
-Frederick Bastiat
13rin
+977|6480
lucky to still be alive...
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DBBrinson1 wrote:

lucky to still be alive...
He was pregaming
-Frederick Bastiat
13rin
+977|6480
Damn....
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Yup.

757mL
And aren't all the bottles 700ml?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
This discussion encouraged me to look up what a "fifth" was, as I'd heard it before but never bothered to look up exactly what volume it equates to. Thanks BF2s
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

learn something new, erryday
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

DrunkFace wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

757mL
And aren't all the bottles 700ml?
It varies, some are 700, some are 750.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard