Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6214|Brisneyland
We have had non stop rain for weeks now. Central queensland and western QLD has been flooded and has been underwater for weeks. The rain has spread to the south east with disasterous consequences. Some towns (like Granthan ) have been wiped off the map by massive walls of water. The water from there has been washing downstream to the capital city Brisbane , and although thousands of homes have been flooded out, loss of life has been minimised due to advanced notice and excellent work by emergency services.

At last count, loss of life is 12 people. People missing is around 70.

Through all this one thing seems to be apparent, and that is the strength of the people here. People are  going out of their way to help others with sandbagging, or removal of property to higher ground. In some ways i am very proud to be a Queenslander.

One news service said that the flood effected area was the size of Texas.

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5290/5332204099_3a15ed91e6.jpg
This will take some time to fix, but I am sure we will get through. Please send prayers, good vibes, thoughts our way.
Gamematt
Stocking ur medpacks
+135|6653|Groningen, The Netherlands
It all looks pretty horrible, I'm glad the death toll didn't go through the roof.
Good to see everyone tries to help eachother out and not just cry and blame the government for not protecting them.
My thoughts are with you.
Btw, someone told me sharks are now swimming in the flooded area's, is this true?

Brave man, saving his car.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

A TEENAGER killed in the Toowoomba flood has been hailed a hero after he told a Good Samaritan to save his younger brother first, minutes before he and his mother were swept away.

Jordan Rice, brother Blake and mother Donna were forced to climb on the roof of their car after they were caught in the flood about 2pm on Monday.

The tragic rescue saw a good Samaritan truck driver save Blake, while Donna tried to grab Jordan, 13, after he became separated from the tree the pair was clinging to.

Ms Rice's devastated partner of about 30 years and father to her four children, John Tyson, said Jordan couldn't swim and was terrified of water.

"(The truck driver) went to grab Jordan first, who said, 'Save me brother'. I can only imagine the fear coursing through his body,'' Mr Tyson, 46, said.

"He won't go down with any fanfare or anything like that - I don't think anyone will even wear a black armband for him - but he's just the champion of all champions, a family hero.''

Mr Tyson should have spent last night celebrating his 46th birthday, but was instead at a morgue.

Donna, Jordan and Blake, 10, were just minutes away from picking up eldest child Chris at his house when the car became stuck near the intersection of James and Kitchener Sts in Toowoomba.

The water was only up to the car wheels, but the engine stopped.

Ms Rice could only ring 000 because her mobile phone had run out of credit.

The family was told to stay put and they climbed on to the roof of the car as the floodwaters rose.

Mr Tyson said bystanders looked on until the semi-trailer driver wrapped some rope around himself and jumped in.

The truck driver rescued Blake, 10, first at Jordan's direction.

The rope broke as he went back to get Jordan and Donna, forcing the pair to cling to a tree.

"Jordan was swept off,'' Mr Tyson said.

"As soon as he went, Donna just let go, you know trying to clutch at him. "The poor little bugger, they just both drowned.''

Mr Tyson said he desperately wanted to make contact with the truck driver, who is described as scrawny.

The cement renderer said he would never have let the trio go if he knew there was any sort of risk.

"It really wasn't raining that hard (when they left),'' Mr Tyson said.

"I said to her, 'You be careful in the rain' but not for one instant if I thought there was any sort of risk would I ever have let her go by herself. I wouldn't have even let her go.''

Mr Tyson said his partner of about 30 years was the best mother who loved cooking and gardening.

"I'm great on a shovel, but she done everything else,'' he said.

"I don't even know where I'm going to start.

He described Jordan as a good kid who loved music and drawing.

"He was a very quiet kid,'' Mr Tyson said.

"He was the exact opposite to all the others. He'd wear purple and chrome boots and red skinny jeans and one of those real sad penguin golf shirts.''

Mr Tyson said the family were originally going to have a birthday dinner for him last night.

"I would never know what it was but she would make sure (she would cook) something I'd like to eat.

"At the end of the day I guess it's just the worst birthday I've ever had in my life.''
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/specia … 5986169850

https://resources0.news.com.au/images/2011/01/12/1225986/229864-jordan-rice.jpg
Jordan Rice, 13.

Last edited by AussieReaper (2011-01-12 16:32:54)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6345
My thoughts are with you. Tuff situation. Very sad.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6214|Brisneyland
@Gamematt. Yeah the Govt seems to be doing its job pretty well this time. I have heard the shark thing as well. Bull sharks are numerous in the brisbane river, its no surprise that one or two may start to explore.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5465|Ventura, California
Excellent work by emergency services indeed.

When was the last time flooding of this magnitude has happened there?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5228|Cleveland, Ohio
crikey
Sturgeon
+488|4932|Flintshire

-Sh1fty- wrote:

It's fucking Australia when do you think?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5465|Ventura, California

Sturgeon wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Not too often. I wanted to know if this was commonplace for them. I just wanted to know if their emergency personnel are trained for this type of situation. I'm sure they get flooding often, but nothing news worthy.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Not too often. I wanted to know if this was commonplace for them. I just wanted to know if their emergency personnel are trained for this type of situation. I'm sure they get flooding often, but nothing news worthy.
it's a fucking desert country. Before the floods brisbane was on a drought warning.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Sturgeon
+488|4932|Flintshire
Areas the size of Germany and France flooding regularly occur actually...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

Sturgeon wrote:

Areas the size of Germany and France flooding regularly occur actually...
everyday of the week m8
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Sturgeon
+488|4932|Flintshire

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I'm sure they get flooding often, but nothing news worthy.
Christ on a fucking bike...
11 Bravo
Banned
paul hogan says thats not a flood
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
Australia gets flooded regularly, and its mostly semi-arid, not real desert.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

The last flood of this magnitude occured in 1974.

When it did, it was an apparently once in a century event.

We were wrong on that count.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England
I blame global cooling.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned
blood makes the grass grow
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

JohnG@lt wrote:

I blame global cooling.
Increased rain/snow is an expected consequence of climate change.....
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I blame global cooling.
*bites tongue*
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
EVieira
+105|6469|Lutenblaag, Molvania

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I blame global cooling.
Maybe its a coincidence, maybe not...

In Pictures: Flood ravaged Brazil

Brazil flood deaths rise to 375

What makes it much more deadly in Brazil is that the region where its flooding is a hilly area, so sudden landslides just bury people alive.

While looking for news on Brazil, found this too:

Australia's floods a glimpse of warmer future
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England
FYI... It's to do with La Nina
11 Bravo
Banned
mektittle
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England
Yes, but still La Nina rather than lame old sarcastic or genuine global warming comments
EVieira
+105|6469|Lutenblaag, Molvania
La Nina is even harder to prove than global warming...

Last edited by EVieira (2011-01-13 11:07:05)

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard