Sgt.Davi
Touches Himself At Night.
+300|6648|England
Welcome, hopeful Grease Monkeys!!!!! I am the writer of previous succesion: How to utilize the assault kit, and have worked closely with partner-in-crime, Talon to make some other guides. Here I explain how to make best of the engineering class and its full utilizations.

1. Know your weapon!!

The defaults for all classes is a powerful shotgun. This is devastating at close range! A single shot is all it needs to eliminate most. Even those with body armour.

Ups and downs:

United States Marine Corps M11-87 Pump Action Shotgun

This beauty rips through enemies like piss through toilet paper!! This one of the "One Shot, One Kill" weapons. It has a devastating amount of damage. However the further away you are the more you comprimise on damage. The closest you can be without a damage reduction is 30m, however this is variable and can be judged as 25m. With the '87 you get 7 pump shots, which means you will have to pump that gun everytime you fire off a shot, so be careful at going in guns blazing. This has a magnification of 1 and a half when zoomed and comes with a lot of recoil.

Peoples Liberation Army Norinco 982 Pump Action Shotgun (NOR982)

This is very much the same as the US's M11, and there are no real differences. There are no differences and stats, such as deviation and recoil. However due to low production costs and alternate designing patterns, the USMC M11-87 is the coolest looking of the two ()

Middle Eastern Coalition Saiga 12K Semi Automatic Shotgun (S12K)

Whilst being relatively similar to an AK47 this gun has been remodelled to fire shotgun shells semi automatically and is the choice of engineers with defaults. However when making a semi automatic shotgun compromises are made. For the inproved rate of fire the S12K has a lot more deviation and recoil. This shotty loses damage at distance like the pump actions but at a further distance so you can put more distance in between you and the enemy. Be prepared to fire more shots off because there is less damage from each shell in this gun

MK3A1 Jackhamer Full-Auto Shotgun

This bad boy is well know from other video games and is a popular choice in the Battlefield. It requires you to be at close range to be able to waste the enemy efficiently and to be able to kill more than one enemy, seeing as the fully automatic firing mode on this shotgun gives it a faster rate of fire, the damage from each shell is less. However you can make the enemy sleep with the asphalt just as quickly as you can with a pump action by getting in close

Heckler and Koch MP-7 PDW

Right, whilst not being a shotgun like the other armies and unlock this little menace can be a problem for the opposition. It has an amazing rate of fire, the best in the game (please correct me if I am wrong) and it only really takes a few shots to drop an enemy. Getting in close is the key, however with the added single shot mode you can take a few potshots. However the MP7 is a Personal Defense weapon, meaning it is given to vehicle crews to defend themselves and they need to get away ASAP, and not take potshots at the enemy, just kill them real fast. It is a good idea to get down on one knee and propose death to thine enemy as this reduces deviation and recoil. Remember this weapon fires a custom 4.2mm round and means there will be more shots needed to take down the enemy, 6 for a soldier without a large vest on and 8 for those with armor.

2. Know the extra kit!

All engineers are armed with a set of 5 anti tank mines and a wrench. The anti tank mines are incredibly useful for ambushes and setting up chokepoints for enemy vehicular covoys. Your almighty wrench has THE power!! It can do everything from repair a blackhawk with a huge tank shell stuck into the side to regenerating the lost stone on destroyed bridges!!!! Unreality aside the wrench is a great asset to you and your team. Use it well young jedi! Be also wary of the fact you are without a vest of kevlar to shield you from bullets, seeing as there is a requirment for flexibilty and besides, when your in the gunners seat of an APC there is not much PKM rounds can do to you!!

3. Anti Vehicle Mines

(I have named them AV mines because it really isn't just tanks they take out)These do exactly what they say on the box, they are mines and they take out vehicles. The key to getting kills with them is knowing where to place them. No tank driver is really stupid enough to drive straight over them.
The best places to put them are round corners, in bushes (It works! Trust me!) and on the top/bottom of hills where the terrain levels out. This ensures that unsuspecting drivers will not be able to see them until it is too late. Place them few but not too far between. This means using as little as necessary and trying to put them at strategic choke points, for example, the one way road to the next CP or in alleyways that vehicles take. Remeber that the animation has the engineer putting the charge in so keep the mine equipped before running out and placing it, instead of legging it out and looking like an absolute plum to the tank driver that just blew you to kingdom come! Also be aware of the restictions on the amount of mines, the default '5' and that they can no longer be blown up with nades or shot but can still be artied and bombed. After you die there is a set limit (I believe it is 30 seconds) to the amount of time your mines will remain in place.

https://img465.imageshack.us/img465/8781/screen0328is.jpg

Mines can be used sparingly. This one mine will kill anyone who tries to come through, despite appearances.

https://img478.imageshack.us/img478/4985/screen0005bs.jpg

Watch for the small arming time in which your engineer puts a charge in.

4. The Hoff-3 Wrench

This is the epitome of modern technology. Sporting the amazing power of regenerating destroyed stone and restore vehicles with large dents to shiny military killing machines that you wouldn't mind the neighbours seeing!!

Now jokes about its amazing capabilities aside the wrench is your bestest friend. It has the power to remove enemy mines, claymores, fix bridges, friendly vehicles and commander assets. Whew! Unfortunatly there are no points to be had for removing claymores and mines which puts people off of them. This is not an excuse to leave it there for a sniper in the hills to get 4 kills in a row with. Unfortunatly with claymores you must, obviously, approach from the side or rear to avoid getting a faceful of ball bearings. The mines can be approached from any direction however. Remeber to look for the 'double ring' when removing. This also applies to bridges. Commanders and occupied vehicles will be thankful if you come and repair them, and as a reward you get a shiny point!!! Yes, 1!!!!! Well keep fixing it as it will benefit your team to have the extra firepower from vehicles and arty. Sometimes you may notice that althogh you have got the assets on a double ring and you are turning the wrench that it is not reparing, so look out below!! Also you can repair the enviromental assets such as boarded up walls that have been damaged and explosive barrels. However once they are gone they are gone till the next round. When removing mines have the vehicle or an assault soldier kindly pop some smoke so you can work under cover and not with a large .50 cal bullet through you brain.

Some things you can repair, and a demonstration of 'the double ring:'

https://img465.imageshack.us/img465/2145/screen0307ji.jpg

UAV

https://img489.imageshack.us/img489/5301/screen0385lr.jpg

Barrels

https://img489.imageshack.us/img489/45/screen0390eu.jpg

Ground emplacements (This also works for AA and Mounted guns in case you were wondering)

Lifting Mines and Claymores:

https://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5574/screen0333ek.jpg

Mine lifting

https://img488.imageshack.us/img488/5979/screen0363oc.jpg

Claymore jacking

5. The glitch and bump!

The Glitch and bump as I like to call it is when, although you have walked over to an asset of your team and got the double ring, yet it doesn't repair. This is, as many have told me, due to the fact that it has taken over 100% damage. So just give it a bump and it should get from (e.g) -25% to 1% a bit quicker and you won't have to worry about your wrench depleting

https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1834/screen0318au.jpg

As you can see the UAV was being stubborn and not repairing, so I took a Desert Raider and bumped this byatch!!

6. Use the Armor young Luke!!

The engineer is not the most combat worthy of classes and should preferably be foubd in the drivers seat of armor/planes/choppers. Despite the abilitly to jump out and repair yourself thier are repair points to be gained by indirect repairing (which i mentioned above). This useful trick allows engineers to stay close to other vehicles in their own and be able to repair the other just by sitting in the vehicle! This is great for convoys and is very helpful to have an engineer in a hummer beside you when you are under pressure from Anti Tank attacks. I would like snipers and the like to take note that it is more helpful to be an engineer when driving to prevent the need to go back to the 1st CP to access a supply box for repairs.

7. Direct Repairing

Another useful trick used in the RIB, US Blackhawk, US Bradley Linebacker, Hummers, (MEC) Mi-17 transport, MEC Tunguskas, Vondiks, Chinese Z-8 Transports, Nanjing (Heavy Jeep, duh !) and the Type 95 Anti Air. This is when an engineer in one of the 'exposed' passenger postitions can look down with thier trusty wrench and get the double ring, meaning they can repair without the need to get out or find a supply crate or return to a helipad. Whilst being a helpful trick you are exposed, especially to enemy sniper fire, so beware or Tahadar might be going home with another 2 points in the (rifle) bag!

8. Engineers in Combat

Now the engineer is generally suited for vehicle combat, but can find himself in cloase combat support as a unit on his team. Now engineers are equipped with weapons for very close combat. It is a good idea to be flanking with an Assault soldier to use the closeness you'll be gettting into to your advantage. to achieve as many kills as possible, aim for the head and fire in single shots or small bursts with the Jackhammer and MP7 respectively. When using one of the pump actions be aware that there is a small period of time between the animaton for finishing the pump and when you can fire the next shot. In a few situations I have charged at the end of the pump and not fired due to the small pause. Generally, you'll want to aim to be close to the enmy as possible, but due to the lack of armor, make sure you have a buddy with a big gun next to you. Also in large open maps it may be worth just confining your engineer to a tank, but in tight close quarters combat in Karkand, for example, the shotguns are your best friend.

https://img488.imageshack.us/img488/866/screen0356mq.jpg

The shotty is the king of the alleyways.

https://img488.imageshack.us/img488/3929/screen0346ep.jpg

Your standard pistol is effective at longer ranges but when the enemy gets close whip the shotgun out again!!

9. Engineers on the Field

Combat is not the only thing to be alert of as an engineer and in the open maps your preety much screwed. However don't just confine yourself to a metallic horse but play an active role on your team instead. Engineers wrenches have great uses on the battlefield and squads in humvees and those advancing round alleyways will appreciate you removing mines and claymores. It is good to stick to a vehicle convoy, in particular an armored one so that you can repair bridges that have slowed down your advance across the terrain. If you are driving a tank and an engineer is fixing a bridge or removing mines, for God sake give him a smokescreen. The wrench is useless if the holder is writhing around like an eel with Light Machine gun bullets sodomizing his corpse. Also when you are flanking, as explained in the previous section, help your team by removing any claymores that will block the path after the flank. Always use your pistols in wider areas, to compensate for the damage reduction in larger areas.

10. Squad Up soldier!!!

Now it is incredibly efficient to be part of a squad racing around maps to cap spawn points, and even more so when VoIP is enabled. As an engineer it may not be best to be the squad leader, as you should be racing to the front lines to remove claymores and put foward some fire before retreating. No one wants to spawn next to an engineer who has bullets racing over his head and into yours. So, join a populated squad, preferably one using vehicles and generally advance with them. Whilst it is helpful to remove claymores for everyone, try to focus on the survival of your squad as there is more to be gained. (I.E a win) Using VoIP effectively then you can aid your squad to become a six man murder team, and murder teams don't operate well in the smoking ruins of a Humvee that has rolled over the 4th AT mine in a row.  (Later I will post a screenshot of all round cover fire to protect an engineer.

11. Use stealth and surprise to your advantage!

When a tank rumbles around a corner with a warning tone it is not going to be focusing on the road and instead, finding and killing the anti tank soldier firing at him. Most tank drivers in BF are dumbass privates and will not know how to effectively utilize a tank. I've watched on Lance Corporal get torn to shreds by a single AT. Our LC was spinning his turret round and but couldn't locate the guy. Now if you have guys like that at the wheel, they won't see your mines and you get 2, possibly 3 kills. (More in some situations) Other good tactics are going to enemy bases, crawling under the vehicles and placing mines. I fragged a guy upon entry to the Gas Station on Karkand and when he respawned to see his shiny new tank, he jumped in and tried to drive but failed. A single mine denies them of their heavy support. I got this guy 5 times in a row, and if i had a support at my shoulder, who knows how many more times I could have got him. (also try this trick with throwing a mine into the back of a heavy jeep) Snipers these days do not think people are sophisticated enough to wrench up their claymores and are instead prepared to run out and place another when they get the kill message. So sneaking round the side will probably allow you to pick it up and go in for the knife. (Some of you may think just shoot him, fine, but remove the claymore incase squad 1337HAx turns the corner and dies, resulting in a barrage of: JOMG I AM TEH ULTRA HAXX HOW DID J00 KILL ME? and so on (Yes i've seen people like this (and pure beef came to my mind)) Other good tactics I find are knowing killing grounds where enemies will get confused. Sometimes after placing a mine the friendly crosshairs randomly dissapear. I caught a MEC tank at the factory like this. I mined the gateway and he, thinking they were placed by someone on his team, just drove over them!! When he respawned he went to pick them up and as he was doing so I took the tank! This demonstrates hoe you can use the inferior intellect of players to your advantage!

12. Need repairs? Hold on, my wrench is reloading!

Sometimes, when you have gone on a mass fixing spree of assets or vehicles, you'll notice the wrench stops moving. Why, you ask? Well your wrench is reloading! I'm not sure why, perhaps his wrist is getting tired. This means you will have a small waiting period, in which enemy squad 7 who blew up the assets can send you to hell and then come over and teabag you before destroying it again. To avoid being raped, watch the bar on the HUD that I have circled in red:

https://img488.imageshack.us/img488/2637/reloadwrench7qd.png

and when the top bar is reaching depletion, allow it to refill before going back for the repair. Note that if you continue to repair the wrech will reload to a single bar, which will transfer to a bar of health for, say, the UAV, but then its empty again and, although this will gradually repair it, you are under threat from baserapists so just hide and wait for it to reload.

13. In Battlefield Darwinism the Engineer doesn't have to be the least fittest.
Many thanks to Imdead for the following tips/tricks

It's true the primary goal for the engineeer is to find something that has 4 wheels, otherwise you are useless outside City Maps. But if you find yourself without a vehicle because a sniper took it to drive to his hideout, you will have to survive on foot.  Surviving with only a shotgun, pistol, a knife and 5 grenades means your chance of survival just took a nosedive. But you can still survive!

How do you do it you ask? Simple. You act as a sniper! You use the scenery as your shelter, hug corners, trees, stairs, don't waste your run until you are in open field then run to another 'cover'. When at far range, the most accurate weapon you have is the pistol, yeah it can kill just as easy, but again you have to use buildings or whatever is near to have a chance. Another thing I have learned is as you are firing strafe left to right and back again until he's dead. You'll see the person trying to shoot you hit walls more than you. Even in Close quarters you have to use the walls, corners as your best friend, you are more of a sneak than anything, because you are at a disadvantage until 30m; then everyone else is.

Otherwise your primary goal is to find a tank - no matter who is driving. CQC should be your second option. Third if the toys are destroyed.

Thank You to Battlefield Wiki and Primas Strategy Guide for the hints and statistics! Cheers! Also thanks to the guys who have given hints that you can read below

Last edited by Sgt.Davi (2006-05-20 02:47:02)

eusgen
Nugget
+402|6797|Jupiter
Why?
Sgt.Davi
+300|6648|England
Why what

Sorry for the underlining. I forgot to put a foward dash somewhere!
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6724|Melbourne, Australia
good guide 1+ for u.. im still debating over weather or not i should unlock the mp7
ShEpArD_oF_rOt
+16|6571|Illinois
You forgot to mention that the MEC engineers are quit possibly the coolest looking character in gaming history. Ratty beards and green wool hats just scream toughness.
Sgt.Davi
+300|6648|England
Lawl. Perhaps. I'm not sure if this was a joke....but besides the desert bush hat the US wear is pwnerising
Poncho
and I'm not a raincoat...
+91|6712|NL
I got a tip too. Put a medic in the tank seat and you as engineer on top. Look almost always the other way as the tank loop does. Duck whenever you feel one bullet and always duck when you see an enemy apc. When your tank driver is being attacked, jump out run to the right side where you dont get hit, watch out for walls and stuff behind you and start REPAIRING. Keep in mind never to stand right behind the back of the tank cause that will kill you. Go stand just next to it and repair while he is moving forward and backward. And my last hint is to never jump out a tank while its turning cause you get killed in the swing.

Poncho
Sgt.Davi
+300|6648|England
Goos tips mate. I will add them later but I am a bit tired and my fingers hurt! Dnt worry you'll all get a mention for your tips!
Sgt.Davi
+300|6648|England
Looks like the piss through toilet paper bit is quite popular:P

A tip for here, always shotgun bunnyhopping enemies, it is incredibly satisfying to watch them fly backwardS!
IGT-:-Maverick
+3|6780|UK
Good guide mate, will help other players : )  Also I really like the MP7 and agree totally with what you said in your guide.
Sgt.Davi
+300|6648|England
Oh and I also like the get down on one knee and propose death. Any quotes for future guides???

Last edited by Sgt.Davi (2006-05-13 13:03:15)

FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6696|Devon, England
another great tip for engineers:

when using the m11 or the nor (the pump action ones), fire off 2 shots. then, reload, and as soon as one bullet goes in, press 2 then 3 very quickly, so it switches from pistol back to shotty. do this as fast as you can, and then you can shoot whislt reloading, therefore tricking your enemies into thinking your are reloading, wen ur not!
+3|6780|UK
Looks like the tips are rolling in now!
+3|6780|UK

I.M.I Militant wrote:

good guide 1+ for u.. im still debating over weather or not i should unlock the mp7
If you play engineer a lot the MP7 is great for that personal defence purpose, its deadly at close range due to its rate of fire.  I like it, what do others think?
[zulu]steviep831
+6|6638|Florida
Thanks for the tips. Keep up the good work. Would karma, but I believe I've already done that today... Hmmm.... maybe tomorrow.... if you're lucky.
Sgt.Davi
+300|6648|England
Thanks, i noticed that glitch when i mysteriously found 7 pellets embedded in my virtual support self!!! MP7 is PDw and incredible up close and yay! Karma!
a fly
+105|6649|The netherlands

I.M.I Militant wrote:

the mp7 is very good, i took out 5 people with it, combined with pistol and knife (first knife, then mp7, then pistol to finish the last guy), i havent dont that with the p90, mp5, or any other sub-gun.
Kkookie
Don't Flame
+20|6749|St. Paul, MN
good guide, however I would go a little more into discussing tactics than simply an overview of the kit
Sgt.Davi
+300|6648|England
Roger that Bravo2, will update in 0400 hours
Sgt.Davi
+300|6648|England
OK ive updated some Battlefieldistic roles
chittydog
less busy
+586|6840|Kubra, Damn it!

Sgt.Davi wrote:

It is a good idea to get down on one knee and propose death to thine enemy as this reduces deviation and recoil.
Hilarious. Thanks for the guide. +1
taddzilla
+23|6848|Pembroke Pines, FL.
Nice work on that guide.  The only thing I would add, is as an engineer make sure you pay attention to the commander toys.  Try not to let him/her waste supplies that are better used elsewhere, and keep your commander happy by fixing any broken assets.  Plus, those spec op guys usually hate running into your shotty.
Deadlift
+9|6686
Good guide once again.
Hope you get some nice pics in there. ^^
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6815|NÃ¥rvei

Nice piece of info but if you want to know how to use the engineer-kit follow the link :-)

http://wiki.bf2s.com/classes/battlefield-2/engineer

Yours truly *S*
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Sgt.Davi
+300|6648|England
I see. Hmmm, 5 or 6 lines. Well don't worry I'll put some screenies in tomorrow, including the double ring when you fix something. Night guys!

EDIT: Oh whoops, looks like wiki won it

WELL I SHALL SOLDIER ON!

Watch this space for improvements

Last edited by Sgt.Davi (2006-05-11 14:07:03)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard