Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6924|Moscow, Russia

JohnG@lt wrote:

When I was in the army, the most irritating experiences I had were when I questioned why we were doing what we were doing. Whether it was a certain way of changing a tire, or how to set up a tent, or whatever the case was, if I asked why it was done a certain way, the inevitable answer was always "because that's how it's always been done". No, it wasn't always done that way. That process originated from somewhere, God didn't come down and write the fucking manual. They didn't want to hear new ideas about how things could be improved. Change scared them. New thoughts scared them because they felt inadequate and undermined. Stupid people are scared of new ideas.
you'we got it completely backwards. it wasn't change that scared them - it was the consequences of doing stuff wrong during the war. when you experiment with how you arrange furniture in your room it's one thing - when you do that with military equipment it's another one completely. regardless of how cool you think you are, you ought to follow procedures to the letter in army, and for a good reason - you never know which fuckup will spell disaster in there.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6554|North Carolina

Uzique wrote:

the 'necessity' of something is surely based on a subjective estimation, though? not necessary for YOUR ideal model/view of society, perhaps. for others, social cohesion and moral unity is one of the defining points of nationhood and national identity.
I can agree with that.  However, I would suggest that morality can be based purely upon rational self-interest.  No higher power need mandate morality upon the masses.

Nationhood and national identity are somewhat primitive concepts beyond a respect for civil rights.  While borders and citizenship are important for the sake of practical concerns, tradition is little more than a vestigial social organ.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5507|London, England

Shahter wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

When I was in the army, the most irritating experiences I had were when I questioned why we were doing what we were doing. Whether it was a certain way of changing a tire, or how to set up a tent, or whatever the case was, if I asked why it was done a certain way, the inevitable answer was always "because that's how it's always been done". No, it wasn't always done that way. That process originated from somewhere, God didn't come down and write the fucking manual. They didn't want to hear new ideas about how things could be improved. Change scared them. New thoughts scared them because they felt inadequate and undermined. Stupid people are scared of new ideas.
you'we got it completely backwards. it wasn't change that scared them - it was the consequences of doing stuff wrong during the war. when you experiment with how you arrange furniture in your room it's one thing - when you do that with military equipment it's another one completely. regardless of how cool you think you are, you ought to follow procedures to the letter in army, and for a good reason - you never know which fuckup will spell disaster in there.
I should've been more specific. I was commenting on my time before we deployed. I was in for 3 1/2 years before I deployed and the time I was referring to was this peace time experience.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5734

I'm pretty sure new ideas and new ways of doing things are looked down upon in some institutions not because it frightens people or makes them feel stupid but because constant or quick changes tends to undermine the institution and authority within it.

i'll explain more later maybe. But i'm going to go have IHOP \o/
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6924|Moscow, Russia

JohnG@lt wrote:

Shahter wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I should've been more specific. I was commenting on my time before we deployed. I was in for 3 1/2 years before I deployed and the time I was referring to was this peace time experience.
in the time before you deployed you are trained, among other things, in following the procedures i mentioned, no? they drill the habit of behaving the approved way into you for a good reason. you wanna be creative? - fine, make sure your fuckups in doing so are only going to affect yourself and be a florist.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5507|London, England

Shahter wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Shahter wrote:

in the time before you deployed you are trained, among other things, in following the procedures i mentioned, no? they drill the habit of behaving the approved way into you for a good reason. you wanna be creative? - fine, make sure your fuckups in doing so are only going to affect yourself and be a florist.
I don't think you understand how the US military works... It's clearly not like the Russian military... I spent 3 months in basic training, 7 months in job training and then the next 2 1/2 years with my unit. Most of that 2 1/2 years was spent doing busy work to justify my paycheck. I could've just as easily sat in my barracks room playing video games and my contribution towards the US would've been about the same. Peacetime military is a total joke and a waste of taxpayer money.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6503
in 200 years or so you figure out how to put up a tent. Put up tent - NBD.. the end  - dont sweat the small stuff n move on .. But a really smart boy do it Even Betterer !  It takes a real genius to dwell on it !

It must be fun to have to explian these things
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6714|Area 51

oug wrote:

I think it's true. I mean, the US has everything the other countries have in terms of natural beauty etc

plus on a personal level you can just choose what you want to do in life and just do it... less restrictions, less boundaries, all in all fewer obstacles to overcome...

if you work hard enough the money is sure to come and you don't have to depend on anyone but yourself. I think that's the main difference that sets the US apart. It's the one place where everyone has an equal chance to be successful.
Don't really see why the US is the ONLY country where everyone has an equal chance to be succesful..
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6649|so randum
sorry for the bump, noticed this on the BBC;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12052320

nothing really to add except more fuel to the fire of discussion.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6554|North Carolina

FatherTed wrote:

sorry for the bump, noticed this on the BBC;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12052320

nothing really to add except more fuel to the fire of discussion.
Great article.  I especially love the Obama quote.  It's kind of sad that a levelheaded response like his was seen as negative by the Tea Party types....
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6254|eXtreme to the maX
I wonder if the 80% of Americans who think the US is exceptional are the same 80% who have never travelled abroad?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6503

Dilbert_X wrote:

I wonder if the 80% of Americans who think the US is exceptional are the same 80% who have never travelled abroad?
Sadly, probably but still, I don't feel I could do the things I love best in other countries.

I doubt very much I could take my gun collection anywhere. Also We have such wide open spaces. Where else can you own so much land that you don't have to see another human being ?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6254|eXtreme to the maX
Where else can you own so much land that you don't have to see another human being ?
Ah OK, so its not the people who make America great
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6503

Dilbert_X wrote:

Where else can you own so much land that you don't have to see another human being ?
Ah OK, so its not the people who make America great
you got me there too, I think it was more the way it was set up to run. ( by people who had put up with so much bullsh*t they went berserk and started shooting ) They laid down laws that would restrict the government and empower the people instead. This is beening  slowly being worn down. In my opinion the pendulum swings right and left with every election. But its seems to swing a little more left every time and recover less. I fear even John F. Kennedy would not recognize this country.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard