Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
try
harder
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Ticia
+73|5337

EVieira wrote:

Ticia wrote:

Media talks a lot about the lack of women's rights but the truth is most Muslim women agree with those laws, in fact they'll say they exist to protect them.

You see the same in ultra-conservative environments, where women are the perfect mothers and housewives and are content to take the role of a second class citizen. I'm sure rape victims are probably treated in a very similar way.

All this can not be seen in the same manner we approach what exists within the realm of logic.

The only ones we should worry about are the ones who want out.
I don't agree with you Ticia. If they are confortable in their roles, even if it makes them 2nd class citizens, thats for them to choose, but that dosen't mean they can be raped at will by anyone. They can still be second class citizens if the laws starts punishing rapists.

We do have to approach this within the realm of logic and condemn such barbaric laws. Just as the stoning of Sakineh in Iran created a large response of the international comunity.
I think it was Ken some posts back who rightly mentioned the problem with rape in places that follow the Sharia law. When all sex outside of marriage is illegal and women are told to lead a very guarded life, just the simple fact of a woman alone on the street is enough to label her as a prostitute.
See it this way...you know how when a woman in our own societies dresses very provocatively she's seen as she's "asking for it"?
Rape is condemned there as it is here, difference is women here don't accept this kind of bullshit.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina
Careful Ticia, you might be accused of being manipulated by Western media for making these observations. 
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
wow turquoise... must you really try so hard to painfully miss the point?

my argument about media influence and virtual balkanization went only so far as to account for your 'increase suspicion' of islam over other world-religions and oppressive social regimes. i'm not saying it's right or that it doesn't happen. i am not denying that there is a clear disparity over gender-relations and equality between the advanced western world and the third-world: all i am saying on the media-point is that your impression of the 'culprits' is DISPROPORTIONATELY shown to be islamic.

now, in considering rape itself and the treatment of women, as ken has already astutely summarized, there are so many historical, political, social and cultural factors that are inextricably tangled up with the matter of and influence of religion in these areas. you cannot simply reduce it down to your convenient, pigeonholed worldview of "islam is a barbaric religion and treats women badly all over the world". that glosses over 99% of the information and facts.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

wow turquoise... must you really try so hard to painfully miss the point?

my argument about media influence and virtual balkanization went only so far as to account for your 'increase suspicion' of islam over other world-religions and oppressive social regimes. i'm not saying it's right or that it doesn't happen. i am not denying that there is a clear disparity over gender-relations and equality between the advanced western world and the third-world: all i am saying on the media-point is that your impression of the 'culprits' is DISPROPORTIONATELY shown to be islamic.

now, in considering rape itself and the treatment of women, as ken has already astutely summarized, there are so many historical, political, social and cultural factors that are inextricably tangled up with the matter of and influence of religion in these areas. you cannot simply reduce it down to your convenient, pigeonholed worldview of "islam is a barbaric religion and treats women badly all over the world". that glosses over 99% of the information and facts.
What if we widened the statement to simply...  "A large portion of the non-Western world treats women as 2nd class citizens" ?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
it's still a bit of an obtuse and clumsy generalisation that i'm sure would do a disservice to much of the non-western world... but at least it's free of some media-shaped religious bias, yes. issues like gender-equality aren't quite as simple as saying 'the western world has it right, the non-western world are barbarians'- again, it's reductionist. gender-politics in the US is hardly a utopian paradise, and your last 100 years has hardly been a pretty progress through successive stages of domestic and civilized advancement.

it's to do with so many factors that it's almost too much to discuss in one thread. economic, social, historical, political, cultural...

essentially im happy with a statement that doesn't discriminate against one religion more than another
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

it's still a bit of an obtuse and clumsy generalisation that i'm sure would do a disservice to much of the non-western world... but at least it's free of some media-shaped religious bias, yes. issues like gender-equality aren't quite as simple as saying 'the western world has it right, the non-western world are barbarians'- again, it's reductionist. gender-politics in the US is hardly a utopian paradise, and your last 100 years has hardly been a pretty progress through successive stages of domestic and civilized advancement.

it's to do with so many factors that it's almost too much to discuss in one thread. economic, social, historical, political, cultural...

essentially im happy with a statement that doesn't discriminate against one religion more than another
You call it reductionist...  I call it accurate... 
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
yeah, a single statement that you apply to the entire middle-east and occidental world. billions of people. dozens and dozens of countries. hundreds of cultures. thousands of religious denominations, sects, churches, individual belief systems.

"accurate".

now you see why i call you a fucking moron.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

Uzique wrote:

jesus christ it's like a kindergarten
I assume he means this one
you*re not a female, you are a female dog in heat. To me you just seem like a little bitch.
which sorta came out of nowhere. To me threats and swearing looks sophomoric if not infantile. ( see below ) snicker
I notice my " Just Who is in a Herd " rebuttal was not addressed, classic Cameron Poe.

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2010-12-23 18:22:43)

Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

yeah, a single statement that you apply to the entire middle-east and occidental world. billions of people. dozens and dozens of countries. hundreds of cultures. thousands of religious denominations, sects, churches, individual belief systems.

"accurate".

Standard of living matters...  not culture.   It's like how science matters, not religion.  Or here's another...  rights matter, not traditions.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-12-23 18:20:53)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

Turquoise wrote:

Uzique wrote:

"accurate".

Standard of living matters...  not culture.   It's like how science matters, not religion. .
untill the plane catches fire. . .  .
Turquoise
O Canada

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Uzique wrote:

"accurate".

Standard of living matters...  not culture.   It's like how science matters, not religion. .
Huh?
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356

Turquoise wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Huh?
thats when almost 100% will find God lol keep going keep going
Turquoise
O Canada

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Huh?
thats when almost 100% will find God lol keep going keep going
Some choose God, I choose self-discipline and willpower.  They're basically the same thing.  A religious person requires the concept of a creator to focus on for this willpower, but I find that inner strength is much more straightforward via concentration.

In short, it's purely psychosomatic.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6356
ever been in a burning plane ?
Turquoise
O Canada

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

ever been in a burning plane ?
Nope, but I have felt excruciating pain from a really bad food poisoning.  I know these aren't equals in the realm of fear or stress, but I'm pretty sure if I would react the way you suggest to an extreme situation, it would've happened by now.
EVieira
+105|6480|Lutenblaag, Molvania

Ticia wrote:

I think it was Ken some posts back who rightly mentioned the problem with rape in places that follow the Sharia law. When all sex outside of marriage is illegal and women are told to lead a very guarded life, just the simple fact of a woman alone on the street is enough to label her as a prostitute.
See it this way...you know how when a woman in our own societies dresses very provocatively she's seen as she's "asking for it"?
Rape is condemned there as it is here, difference is women here don't accept this kind of bullshit.
I don't think so. Rape is not condemned there at all, sex outside of marriage is. And its always the woman's fault.

There was a time when we were as backwards as they are now, when women were second class citizens. Women couldn't vote, work and rape was very frowned upon, but there really were no laws against it. Not any that actually had a decent punishment, when there was a law rape was often a simple felony or misdemeanor.

But we evolved, and we need to push the rest of the world to evolve too. Culture is not an excuse for oppression, not anymore at least.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Turquoise
O Canada

EVieira wrote:

But we evolved, and we need to push the rest of the world to evolve too. Culture is not an excuse for oppression, not anymore at least.
"Evolved"?  Hmmm...  I wonder if Uzique agrees with that assessment. 
EVieira

Turquoise wrote:

EVieira wrote:

It might not be politically correct, but its no secret that some places in the world are more evolved than others. Iran still stones people to death ffs... We abandoned the guilhotine some time ago, after puttng it to some good use in france...
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Turquoise
O Canada

EVieira wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

EVieira wrote:

It might not be politically correct, but its no secret that some places in the world are more evolved than others. Iran still stones people to death ffs... We abandoned the guilhotine some time ago, after puttng it to some good use in france...
Well, I'm glad we agree on that. 
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

EVieira wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

EVieira wrote:

you need to look up relativism and you also need to understand history a LOT better

the development of culture and society involves a lot more than just taking a snapshot at the current conditions

you also have to understand the myriad of factors behind why certain countries 'developed' more than others (i.e. industrial revolutions bringing increased living standards through economic development, in turn providing a drip-down social benefit and increased rights/intellectual growth). it's nowhere near as simple as saying "these people and their society are less evolved than us". america still state-sanctions hundreds of murders every year... you're more evolved because you have the technology and money to do it in a sanitized environment, and because yours is derived from the bible and not the quran? ok. keep telling yourself that it's still revanchist morality, and it's still murder. whatever helps you sleep better at night, though!

i suggest you all go read at least 'orientalism' by edward said. it'll change the way you look at the non-western world, and will help you to be more aware of how and WHY we look at the rest of the world as we do- historically, sociologically, and psychologically. there's a very complex process of thought behind all of it. go read.
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

you need to look up relativism and you also need to understand history a LOT better

the development of culture and society involves a lot more than just taking a snapshot at the current conditions

you also have to understand the myriad of factors behind why certain countries 'developed' more than others (i.e. industrial revolutions bringing increased living standards through economic development, in turn providing a drip-down social benefit and increased rights/intellectual growth). it's nowhere near as simple as saying "these people and their society are less evolved than us". america still state-sanctions hundreds of murders every year... you're more evolved because you have the technology and money to do it in a sanitized environment, and because yours is derived from the bible and not the quran? ok. keep telling yourself that it's still revanchist morality, and it's still murder. whatever helps you sleep better at night, though!

i suggest you all go read at least 'orientalism' by edward said. it'll change the way you look at the non-western world, and will help you to be more aware of how and WHY we look at the rest of the world as we do- historically, sociologically, and psychologically. there's a very complex process of thought behind all of it. go read.
Evolution has nothing to do with morality.  It has to do with economic primacy, technological dominance, and certain rights for one's own citizens.

Foreign policy is only relevant in terms of supporting one's own interests.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
erm ethics, morality and culture are all superstructural parts of societal evolution

i have never denied the 'economic imperative'.

you chat such shit sometimes; the tone of your short, 'profound' statements sounds as if you're pontificating off a small soap box... and the only converted members of the audience are yourself.
Turquoise
O Canada
You seem to assume that conversion is my goal here.  I just enjoy arguing/debating.

There was a time when I preferred to take a more complex look at social contexts and such, but the thing is...  you're so thoroughly condescending toward even people who agree with you that I decided it would be more entertaining to be in opposition to you on most topics.

That way, your condescension fits better with the tone of our conversations.

I figure if someone is going to talk down to me, it might as well be a situation where we actually disagree with each other rather than having to hear you pedagogically critique my posts even when we are in agreement.

You play the Ivory Tower student, and I play the straightforward cynic.
EVieira

Uzique wrote:

EVieira wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I'm not saying " our society is more evolved them yours". And no, this is not an east vs west debate. I'm saying in this facet of evolution called "women's rights" Mauritania and several others places need to evolve as we did. And we should do what we can to push along these nations in this direction. Because there is no justification of laws were women can be violated, raped, and still be thrown in jail if they speak up.

This has nothing to do with west vs east, tech vs stoning, bible vs quoran or the death penalty, don't try to drag this down to this argument. I'm not saying we are better or that we are perfect, but in terms of women's rights we are allot better.

PS: I don't any views on the "non-western world" . I'm not generalizing, you are.

Last edited by EVieira (2010-12-25 15:28:56)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard