Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

Ticia wrote:

No. You have to change your values and rules and be open to the public so they can know who the fuck they're voting for.
Ideally, yes.  In practice, you just have to be good at bullshitting or diverting blame.

Ticia wrote:

I don't see much difference between cynics and gullible here.
A cynic is someone who knows things are wrong but accepts them.   A gullible person doesn't realize things are wrong and therefore has no reason to be concerned in the first place.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...
Aren't you two advocating the same thing, vastly decreasing government influence and it's jobs?
inane little opines
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Perhaps, but it's much easier to kick the bastards out when it's discovered. One person can turn the tide against voter apathy in a small election. The same can't be done at a larger level. This is why short of a tea party movement, incumbents have 95% reelection rates at the national level, even though their collective approval rating sits at 18%.
Have you ever considered that it's easier to condemn a collective than a local representative that brings home the bacon to your district?

That's mostly what those ratings mean.  Everyone says they hate pork, but most people still vote in favor of pork for their own areas.
And people are retarded. It's been shown that 'pork barrel spending' does more to destroy local jobs than create them.
Or, at the very least, it makes an area dependent on a company.

But yeah, no argument here.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Kmar wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Personally. I like the thought of individual soverignty.

..and how the he'll can someone expect transparency when you have a cia watching a tsa watching an fbi? The thought is laughable at best.
Individual sovereignty is great, but you can't go full anarchist. There will always be common issues that we need some form of government to deal with. Like, I wouldn't want to live in the Wild West where the quickest draw is the arbiter of justice. Government has its place, it should just perform many less jobs than it currently tries to handle.

Still, it is a reflection of the people in all ways. People elect politicians expecting them to handle problems that they don't want to deal with themselves. The bigger the government, the lazier the populace becomes even though they could do the job themselves a million times better and more efficiently. The size of government reflects the laziness of the population, nothing more.
I can count on one hand what I need the federal government to do for me. Individual soverignty is not about anarchy.. it is about having authority over yourself.
Well, I agree with you. Some people just take it too far, to the point that they think all taxation is evil etc.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ticia
+73|5337

Turquoise wrote:

Ticia wrote:

No. You have to change your values and rules and be open to the public so they can know who the fuck they're voting for.
Ideally, yes.  In practice, you just have to be good at bullshitting or diverting blame.

Ticia wrote:

A cynic is someone who knows things are wrong but accepts them.   A gullible person doesn't realize things are wrong and therefore has no reason to be concerned in the first place.
Same outcome.
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmar wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Personally. I like the thought of individual soverignty.

..and how the he'll can someone expect transparency when you have a cia watching a tsa watching an fbi? The thought is laughable at best.
Individual sovereignty is great, but you can't go full anarchist. There will always be common issues that we need some form of government to deal with. Like, I wouldn't want to live in the Wild West where the quickest draw is the arbiter of justice. Government has its place, it should just perform many less jobs than it currently tries to handle.

Still, it is a reflection of the people in all ways. People elect politicians expecting them to handle problems that they don't want to deal with themselves. The bigger the government, the lazier the populace becomes even though they could do the job themselves a million times better and more efficiently. The size of government reflects the laziness of the population, nothing more.
I can count on one hand what I need the federal government to do for me. Individual soverignty is not about anarchy.. it is about having authority over yourself.
Self-reliance is a nice idea, but it's hard to truly practice unless you live in the middle of a place like Montana.
Turquoise
O Canada

Ticia wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Ticia wrote:

Ticia wrote:

Same outcome.
Pretty much.  In some ways, the gullible person is enviable.

I guess my general outlook is that the deeper you dig, the more fucked up the world will seem.  Keeping informed is a good thing in general, but sometimes, you have to just accept the fact that most of life is beyond your control.   You have to focus on the things you actually can change.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

Kmar wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Self-reliance is a nice idea, but it's hard to truly practice unless you live in the middle of a place like Montana.
Self reliance doesn't mean living in the sticks and growing/hunting your own food. It means taking care of your shit without relying on handouts. It means going to work every day, planning for your own health care needs, your own retirement, without expecting someone else to do it for you. I doubt very much he's talking about economically isolating himself from the rest of the world, simply having the wherewithal to know what he needs and taking care of it. If he wants a slice of pizza, he works at his job, and spends his own money on the slice of pizza. It's about having the freedom to make your own choices because you damn well know what's best for you better than some suit in an office.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-12-09 08:47:11)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Local politicians are easier to buy off.  It's not a matter of less corruption or more, it's a matter of scale.  You can pull off bigger scams on the federal level because of the money and power involved.   However, this is less a measure of character and more a measure of capacity.

Manipulating a local government is easier than manipulating the federal government as a whole.
Disagree. The impacts of corruption are direct and easily deciphered locally. The bigger the government gets the longer the trail is. Why should floridians vote on funding public schools in montana? It make zero sense. .. and don't even get me started on about how easy it is to buyoff washington politicians... for it is they who have to fund massive political campaigns.
You're assuming that locals would fight the corruption.   Some cases of corruption have a net benefit for the local population.

For example, the mob had a lot of support (and still somewhat does) up north because organized crime was easier to deal with than a bunch of smaller gangs continually fighting in turf wars.   People were willing to pay protection money if it meant things went smoother on a day to day basis.

We see similar things throughout the world.  A lot of Afghani tribes are willing to negotiate with the Taliban if it means less conflict and death.

In America, things are obviously less extreme, but the principle is the same.  Local governments are no less corrupt than the feds, they just operate differently.   Local politicians are the sort of people you have a much better chance of making a personal connection with, so people are more forgiving of certain character flaws if they know someone on a first name basis or if they know that this person is willing to make the right tax breaks that might bring a company into their area to provide them a decent job.   If the politician gets a kickback in the process, who are they to complain?
I don't assume. I think its more likely. The logical conclusion is that if the pain of corruption is felt immediatly then it has less of a chance of developing. If you fart in a room with 300 people in it, chances of getting called out are unlikely.

I beg to differ on the degrees of corruption locally vs federally. Federally it is done on a global scale. If your local mayor is secretly running black ops in pakistan you've got some serious problems. Actually meeting your politician is not such a bad thing. ..nor is living around the constituents you serve.

If you think that washington is going to save you from the mob you're dreaming. Some of those politicians fit the very definition if organized crime.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmar wrote:

If you think that washington is going to save you from the mob you're dreaming. Some of those politicians fit the very definition if organized crime.
My argument is that neither the feds nor the locals will save you.  Your bit about self-reliance is actually not that far from what I'm thinking of.

In the end, if you want something done, you have to do it yourself.  All I'm saying is that I distrust government in general and the only things I trust it with are a matter of convenience.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

Kmar wrote:

My argument is that neither the feds nor the locals will save you.  Your bit about self-reliance is actually not that far from what I'm thinking of.

In the end, if you want something done, you have to do it yourself.  All I'm saying is that I distrust government in general and the only things I trust it with are a matter of convenience.
Yet you wish to grant it more power over your life at every turn.
-Frederick Bastiat
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Self reliance doesn't mean living in the sticks and growing/hunting your own food. It means taking care of your shit without relying on handouts. It means going to work every day, planning for your own health care needs, your own retirement, without expecting someone else to do it for you. I doubt very much he's talking about economically isolating himself from the rest of the world, simply having the wherewithal to know what he needs and taking care of it. If he wants a slice of pizza, he works at his job, and spends his own money on the slice of pizza. It's about having the freedom to make your own choices because you damn well know what's best for you better than some suit in an office.
There ya go. It's a policy of opting in .. as opposed to being placed in a group by default.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmar wrote:

The only gaurentee you have with a Washington politician turq is a loss of connection. That is a major difference.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Yet you wish to grant it more power over your life at every turn.
No, I just wish to have it there to keep it in conflict with certain industries.  Our population could stand to be a little more wary of big business.  Maybe a few more strikes per year might keep things interesting.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...
Well at some point there has to be government interference right?

How much does treatment cost if you get diagnosed with an agressive tumor or cancer? I don't think someone with a minimum wage job will have an easy time dealing with that.

Or a mom with kids <10 years old who's husband leaves without paying child support or not having the money to do so, what then?

Self reliance is a great idea but not EVERYONE ends up in the gutter because they made bad decisions.
inane little opines
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmar wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmar wrote:

The only gaurentee you have with a Washington politician turq is a loss of connection. That is a major difference.
There's certainly a disconnect.   I've often wondered why we've chosen to remain one country to be honest.   I really have little to no faith left in this tenuous balance between states and the feds.   I figure it's a "shit or get off the pot" situation.

Granted, I know the odds of us breaking into 6 or 7 countries is infinitesimal.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

dayarath wrote:

Well at some point there has to be government interference right?

How much does treatment cost if you get diagnosed with an agressive tumor or cancer? I don't think someone with a minimum wage job will have an easy time dealing with that.

Or a mom with kids <10 years old who's husband leaves without paying child support or not having the money to do so, what then?

Self reliance is a great idea but not EVERYONE ends up in the gutter because they made bad decisions.
So don't have kids if you're living on minimum wage. And yes, everyone that ends up in the gutter does so because of poor choices they have made. There's no such thing as luck.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-12-09 09:04:57)

-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...

JohnG@lt wrote:

So don't have kids if you're living on minimum wage. And yes, everyone that ends up in the gutter does so because of poor choices they have made. There's no such thing as luck.
There's alot of people who live on minimum wage for their entire lives, some people were just born stupid.

Perhaps here's the difference inbetween euro and US mentality but it's accepted here that society's weakest ought to have some support.

If evolution is right though that's a process of slow self destruction .
inane little opines
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

And yes, everyone that ends up in the gutter does so because of poor choices they have made. There's no such thing as luck.
...of course...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

dayarath wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

There's alot of people who live on minimum wage for their entire lives, some people were just born stupid.

Perhaps here's the difference inbetween euro and US mentality but it's accepted here that society's weakest ought to have some support.

If evolution is right though that's a process of slow self destruction .
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
Well, if it's Social Darwinism you want...   Most of the world already offers that.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...

JohnG@lt wrote:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Let's just hope genetic manipulation arrives before that happens.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

Well, if it's Social Darwinism you want...   Most of the world already offers that.
Please give me a logical explanation for why we should prop up those that continuously made poor choices in their life which led them to the bottom of the social ladder. Logic implies removing any emotional context.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Please give me a logical explanation for why we should prop up those that continuously made poor choices in their life which led them to the bottom of the social ladder. Logic implies removing any emotional context.
To keep the peasants from getting restless....   If you want to see what living in a society with no social safety net is like, you can visit any given Third World country.  Kidnappings for ransom and murder are rather high in those environments.

The same would eventually develop here over enough time.  The underclass already is growing here even with social programs, so without them, we'd just expedite the process.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...
Well if you want to apply logic universally, why have 8 hour work days, free weekends and high paying salaries at all?
inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard