Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

That depends on a number of things -- how intoxicated you are is one factor, since your judgment is likely to be impaired.

Another factor is a more lurid one.  Think about the ambiguity of consent during rough sex or things like S&M.  Usually, there are certain boundaries that are established for that sort of thing, but understandably, consent can be hard to determine sometimes.
Do you get away with running someone over with your car because your judgment was impaired by alcohol?  Then it should not be a reasonable defense for rape.  Consent is near impossible to prove one way or another.  Better to protect yourself(as a man) and stay on the safe side.  All worked up? Rub one out...
I think that's a rather hyperbolic comparison, but I'm also not saying that I think forcing yourself on someone even in the middle of the moment should be without legal consequences.

I just think people don't realize how complicated these situations can be.

Personally, I'm a little paranoid of the whole thing myself.  I've never been in a situation where consent was an issue, but the simple fact that the law seems to automatically assume a woman's word is better than a man's is rather disturbing.

What it basically says to a guy is...  "Don't piss off your girlfriend (or even a one night stand), or she might accuse you of rape."

We've already seen what happened to the Duke Lacrosse players that were falsely accused of rape by a stripper.
Why would you be paranoid? It would require you to get close enough to a woman that she lets you put it in her
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Why would you be paranoid? It would require you to get close enough to a woman that she lets you put it in her
LOL...  Oh, I knew that was coming.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

Turquoise wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

One thing is for sure.  If indeed Assange forced his way with this woman after the condom broke, that should be considered a lesser form of rape than a case where consent is never given in the first place.  It seems a bit ridiculous to assume that someone in the heat of passion is able to just stop everything on a dime.

The problem is that this law seems to assume this is a reasonable expectation.
I agree it is a lesser evil, but you've gotta be a pretty fucked up person to keep going once the other person starts struggling and telling you to stop.
That depends on a number of things -- how intoxicated you are is one factor, since your judgment is likely to be impaired.

Another factor is a more lurid one.  Think about the ambiguity of consent during rough sex or things like S&M.  Usually, there are certain boundaries that are established for that sort of thing, but understandably, consent can be hard to determine sometimes.
I don't care how wasted I was, if a girl started struggling and told me to stop I would, I'm not some kind of uncontrollable animal. You've got serious problems if you think you'd behave otherwise.

And I'm pretty sure that's why they have a safe-word in S&M, to determine between play and actually wanting to quit. In any case, I'm sure it'd have been reported if that had been the case.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

Turquoise wrote:

What it basically says to a guy is...  "Don't piss off your girlfriend (or even a one night stand), or she might accuse you of rape."
Its no joke, my cousin served four years for a one-night-stand 'rape'.
He'd have been out in less than two if he'd admitted it.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-12-06 16:05:12)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Chou
+737|6790

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tyson … conversion
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

That's fucked up, man.  Sorry to hear that.
Turquoise
O Canada

ghettoperson wrote:

I don't care how wasted I was, if a girl started struggling and told me to stop I would, I'm not some kind of uncontrollable animal. You've got serious problems if you think you'd behave otherwise.
Well, again, I've never been in a situation like that.  However, I have been pretty wasted before.  I honestly don't know how much my judgment would change if I was completely smashed and in a situation like that, which is why I don't get smashed anymore.

Unless you've been totally trashed and in a situation like that, it's hard to say what you would do, honestly.

ghettoperson wrote:

And I'm pretty sure that's why they have a safe-word in S&M, to determine between play and actually wanting to quit. In any case, I'm sure it'd have been reported if that had been the case.
It is true that safewords are supposed to work that way.  I'm not sure if it always turns out like that though.  I'd have to ask someone more experienced in that scene to really know.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-12-07 06:53:28)

13rin
+977|6478
I hope he goes to gitmo.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England
I once had a girl try to trick me into thinking I was the father of her kid. That should be a crime too
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6779|Great Brown North

JohnG@lt wrote:

I once had a girl try to trick me into thinking I was the father of her kid. That should be a crime too
hey! there will be none of that! women are victims! get it right!
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

John...   you are not the father.

11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio
progressive europe strikes again, eh
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
what does this have to do with europe?

it's clearly a politically motivated 'allegation' - they're just trying to find loopholes in legal interpretation and precedents to snag assange

don't make it something it's not, that's fucking stupid
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
11 Bravo
Banned

Uzique wrote:

what does this have to do with europe?

it's clearly a politically motivated 'allegation' - they're just trying to find loopholes in legal interpretation and precedents to snag assange

don't make it something it's not, that's fucking stupid
pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttt

if this was the US people would be saying

"land of the free, eh"

so eat me
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
no, they wouldn't.

this is just the international legal/intelligence community trying to catch assange out on a technicality.

it has nothing to do with a 'flawed' legal system; judges have always had discretion to interpret statute as they wish

rationes decidendi

Last edited by Uzique (2010-12-07 07:09:55)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
11 Bravo
Banned
ok dude
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

DBBrinson1 wrote:

I hope he goes to gitmo.
If the public had known the truth there would have never been a gitmo.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6705

Frotz wrote:

In Sweden we currently have a law that requires people with HIV to inform partners that they have HIV before sex. The left party and other elements are now pushing to remove this "duty", as they see it as discriminating against HIV infected
Discriminatory.....? And the WTF award of the month goes to......  Seriously, WTF.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
laws like that are nothing new... since the 1980's in england we have had amendments to the offences against the person act that makes the transmitting of sexual infections (either with intent or through recklessness) an act of ABH-- or even GBH, in the case of AIDS (but don't check me on that, my memory is a little hazy on the specifics)
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

I hope he goes to gitmo.
If the public had known the truth there would have never been a gitmo.
While invading Iraq would not have happened after a massive leak like this, I'm not so sure Gitmo wouldn't have happened.  Our system isn't well equipped to handle large amounts of terror suspects.  Detaining them under normal conditions wouldn't necessarily work.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...

Turquoise wrote:

While invading Iraq would not have happened after a massive leak like this, I'm not so sure Gitmo wouldn't have happened.  Our system isn't well equipped to handle large amounts of terror suspects.  Detaining them under normal conditions wouldn't necessarily work.
hindsight is 20/20, the information available now would not have been then. Furthermore, the documents didn't reveal any questionable intentions or deliberate lying.
inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard