Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina
Pedro Ramirez is the student body president at Fresno State University in California. He is also an illegal immigrant.

Ramirez moved with his parents from Mexico when he was 3. He has little memory of living anywhere other than Tulare, California, located about 45 miles outside Fresno.

He said he assumed he was a U.S. citizen until his senior year in high school when his parents broke the news to him.

"I wanted to go to the military, but then I started asking questions and found out I wasn't a citizen. And then I found out I was undocumented," Ramirez told CNN in a phone interview.

"I knew I was born in Mexico, but I was under the impression that we fixed our legal residency. So when I found out that wasn't the case, I was a little taken away. [My parents], they did it to protect me. They didn't do it as a harmful thing."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/18/califo … tml?hpt=T2

So, aside from being located in a meth hellhole, Fresno's main university apparently has an illegal student body president.  I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm really not.

Sadly, Pedro's story is probably not that different from numerous other illegals, but despite what he's accomplished, his parents broke the law by not going through the citizenship process.  What should be done about this situation?
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5235|Cleveland, Ohio

Turquoise wrote:

What should be done about this situation?
nothing
Turquoise
O Canada

11 Bravo wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

nothing
Wouldn't that send the message that going through the citizenship process doesn't matter?
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5235|Cleveland, Ohio

Turquoise wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

nothing
Wouldn't that send the message that going through the citizenship process doesn't matter?
it doesnt.  thats why the border is still porous.
Turquoise
O Canada

11 Bravo wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

nothing
it doesnt.  thats why the border is still porous.
Then why do we bother with a citizenship process to begin with?  If it's not consistently enforced, then the process is worthless.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Military doesn't take illegals?
Turquoise
O Canada

Ilocano wrote:

It does, but from what I hear, it's somewhat of a hassle.  Some immigrants gain citizenship via serving in the military, and some illegals have been offered the fast track to citizenship by doing this.

I have no problem with illegals agreeing to do something like that, but what this guy did was pretend to be a citizen, and as far as I can tell, he was able to get in-state tuition rates for Fresno State despite not paying the same taxes as actual citizens -- unless they were using a fake SS # too.

Granted, if they did go the fake SS # route, that's fraud -- which most certainly is an offense that should be punished.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Oh, in that case, hang the shithead.
Turquoise
O Canada

Ilocano wrote:

Oh, in that case, hang the shithead.
Well...  I wouldn't go that far.  I just find it really annoying when people act like sneaking in and milking the system is acceptable.

Granted, we have plenty of citizens who milk the system as well.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

As far as I know, California gladly offers in-state tuition to illegals. Sad how a legal citizen from a different state would have to pay more.

It's also really hilarious that students are up in arms and protesting tuition increases, yet also want to give illegal immigrants scholarships and in-state tuition. That money has to come from somewhere...
tuckergustav
+1,590|5912|...

Turquoise wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

It does, but from what I hear, it's somewhat of a hassle.  Some immigrants gain citizenship via serving in the military, and some illegals have been offered the fast track to citizenship by doing this.

I have no problem with illegals agreeing to do something like that, but what this guy did was pretend to be a citizen, and as far as I can tell, he was able to get in-state tuition rates for Fresno State despite not paying the same taxes as actual citizens -- unless they were using a fake SS # too.

Granted, if they did go the fake SS # route, that's fraud -- which most certainly is an offense that should be punished.
The article states that he gets in-state tuition due to a bill that allows it. It also says that he was forthcoming of his status witht the college upon applying...he didn't lie to get in. He just didn't share it publicly.
Turquoise
O Canada

tuckergustav wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

The article states that he gets in-state tuition due to a bill that allows it. It also says that he was forthcoming of his status witht the college upon applying...he didn't lie to get in. He just didn't share it publicly.
What I don't get is this.  The college is funded by taxpayers.  The public has a right to know when an illegal is attending that institution.

The fact that California even allows illegals to get in-state tuition should be seen as undermining national interests -- since that means they have a system that officially harbors illegals.

Of course, the feds won't do anything about it, because we appear to live in the only highly prosperous nation that doesn't give a damn about border security.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Yeah, that policy seriously sucks.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5912|...

Well, at some point, the majority of the people in charge thought it was a good idea so it got passed.  It can always be reversed if that is what the people of California want...
Turquoise
O Canada

tuckergustav wrote:

Well, at some point, the majority of the people in charge thought it was a good idea so it got passed.  It can always be reversed if that is what the people of California want...
I get the distinct impression that the majority of Californians are half-insane -- or at least, the majority of the ones who vote are.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

tuckergustav wrote:

You're giving Californians too much credit. Not much common sense around these days.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

mtb0minime wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

You're giving Californians too much credit. Not much common sense around these days.
this.

We encourage giving driver licenses to illegals too BTW. :facepalm:
tuckergustav
+1,590|5912|...

oh well...don't like it? change it.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

Is it possible for him to become legal? I mean, surely a college degree is a waste of time since unless he gets legal status, no company would hire him for anything other than doing gardening below minimum wage.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6353
bye Pedro ! bye Pedro's parents ! Send money for your education that US taxpayers have funded unknowingly. Come back legally.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

He came here when he was 3.  He was always told he was legal.  He didn't find out he was illegal until his senior year in high school.

Want to try again?
Turquoise
O Canada

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

He came here when he was 3.  He was always told he was legal.  He didn't find out he was illegal until his senior year in high school.

Want to try again?
Sucks to be him.  That doesn't mean I or any other official citizen should have to subsidize his education.  If he wants to blame anyone, he should blame his parents.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6353

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Want to try again?
No need - He found out "  he was illegal " Why is this my problem, tell me ? His parents committed a crime, bye bye !
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Want to try again?
No need - He found out "  he was illegal " Why is this my problem, tell me ? His parents committed a crime, bye bye !
And the best part, he found out before he went to college...
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6625|Canada

Ilocano wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Want to try again?
And the best part, he found out before he went to college...
And the college knew and still let him in. Don't blame him, blame the American people who allow this kind of thing of happening. You think a naturalized american like this kid thought he was, was going to run back to mexico as soon as he found out he was illegal? I wouldnt, he was 3, America IS his home country.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard