Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6737|Toronto | Canada

Err, they have a powered amp in the sub...
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6658|The darkside of Denver

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Err, they have a powered amp in the sub...
not klipsch ones.  Dude i own those speakers.

* The klipsch reference series floorstanding and bookshelf speakers.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2010-11-24 09:50:44)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

SonderKommando wrote:

TSI wrote:

Uzique wrote:

m-audio suck. it's budget shite.

if you aren't interested in buying satellite studio speakers... don't. don't get the bottom-end budget shitty m-audio ones.
LOL

a creative/standard 2.1 set-up will do a university room just fine.

if you actually want studio-quality satellite speakers, then get some KRK's
KRK's also good, but more expensive. It all depends on how much you care about sound quality versus just sound quantity. While M-Audio aren't quite studio-grade, they're plenty enough for anyone not a diehard audiophile.

Winston's recco of Klipsch is also quite good, but I don't know how practical they are as a desktop application (what with amp and all)...unless they have powered ones...I should get in the know again.
No they are not powered.  they need an amp.

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I'd go with one of the M-Audios, KRKs or Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s.  The M-Audios are phenomenal for computer speakers, the KRKs are incredible studio speakers and I've never heard a bad review from somebody with the Klipschs (I have the 5.1s and love them).
And I own the ones we're actually talking about   I think you got confused somewhere along the way
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5979|Toronto

Winston_Churchill wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

TSI wrote:

Uzique wrote:

m-audio suck. it's budget shite.

if you aren't interested in buying satellite studio speakers... don't. don't get the bottom-end budget shitty m-audio ones.
LOL

KRK's also good, but more expensive. It all depends on how much you care about sound quality versus just sound quantity. While M-Audio aren't quite studio-grade, they're plenty enough for anyone not a diehard audiophile.

Winston's recco of Klipsch is also quite good, but I don't know how practical they are as a desktop application (what with amp and all)...unless they have powered ones...I should get in the know again.
No they are not powered.  they need an amp.

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I'd go with one of the M-Audios, KRKs or Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s.  The M-Audios are phenomenal for computer speakers, the KRKs are incredible studio speakers and I've never heard a bad review from somebody with the Klipschs (I have the 5.1s and love them).
And I own the ones we're actually talking about   I think you got confused somewhere along the way
the ones Lucien linked aren't powered. The 5.1s may be, but as you said last year, they aren't made anymore

So yeah, as a result, I think he'd better stick with the M-Audios or KRKs.
I like pie.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

The 2.1s are still made and are powered.  He linked to different ones.  You can still find the 2.1s pretty much anywhere, even most Apple stores have them.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6658|The darkside of Denver
I think i have the promedia 2.1's as well.  lol.  Im a klipsch guy...
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6652

Lucien wrote:

I'm not finding anything by krk on sale in the netherlands. For Klipsch I've got the RB-81 and the RF-62. Are either of these a good choice?
those prices were per speaker (the picture showed two, fml)

Now I'm looking at the Klipsch rb 61 instead
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/246103/k … zwart.html

can I just buy two of these and plug them or what? Do I need one of those amp things? is my audigy 4 going to be good enough?

buying audio gear is always so hard thanks to how "audiophiles" are literally incapable of agreeing with each other on anything.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
TSI
+247|5979|Toronto
No, those will need an amp. It's a good investment if you intend to upgrade later, but for your needs I'd suggest sticking with a desktop powered solution--Klipsch 2.1/M-Audio

then again, my res setup:

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/31874/092610160226.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/31874/092610160211.jpg

Last edited by TSI (2010-11-24 17:26:54)

I like pie.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6652
I wouldn't mind getting an amp if it's going to be good for future upgrades. What do I need for those rb 61s?
TSI
+247|5979|Toronto
Just check the maximum power: a 80- or 100W/channel amp should suffice. That Onkyo TX-8555 above is a 100/channel unit, but it's got a few nice little features on it. I'd definitely reccomend it. Cost me 400 dollars, so about 280 Euros.

It's a good idea if you want to upgrade, too: you can buy any speakers, and just plug them in. The only issue is space; you can't really put anything on top of the amp, so it takes up a lot of real estate.

Last edited by TSI (2010-11-26 13:10:23)

I like pie.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6652
That looks great! So my best options so far seem to be the Onkyo TX-8555 and the Klipsch RB-61. Do I need any peripherals to actually make this all work with my PC?
TSI
+247|5979|Toronto
Haha, I don't know if you necessarily want that amp. I liked it, you might not. Try a bunch out--it's always best to make an informed decision.

Whatever amp you get, you'll need enough high-quality speaker wire to reach from the amp to the speakers (and then add 30cm per speaker, for stripping ends and having some slack). Then you'll need a cable to run from your PC output to the amp input. It'll most likely be a RCA to 3.5mm cable.

addendum: once you have more money to spend, you might want to consider getting a DAC (Digital-to-Analogue Converter--basically an external sound card). I find it improves the sound somewhat, but it isn't excatly necessary to enjoy it. Then again, my DAC experience is limited; mcminty might be able to help you out some more, he recently bought one.

Last edited by TSI (2010-11-26 22:10:46)

I like pie.
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6541|Sammamish, WA
https://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/JdeFalconr/klipsch_ultra51_700w.jpg

Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra's. Freaking amazing. One of the best sets of PC speakers you can buy without getting an amp and an actual home theater system.

Last edited by JdeFalconr (2010-11-28 11:47:05)

TSI
+247|5979|Toronto

Lucien wrote:

I can't get a surround setup going here as I've got nowhere to put the back speakers, so 2.1s are probably preferred.
I like pie.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

You're going to find yourself spending a lot more money than intended now that you're starting to consider a real setup.

My current setup is Cambridge Audio Azur 550A, DACMagic and Mordaunt Short Aviano 2s. Fucking epic stuff right there, but that's over 1000 euros.

The M-Audios will do a really nice job, and a lot better than anything Creative can come up with, but they're not particularly awesome. For your budget price range I'm not sure how much I can recommend. TSI seems to know a bit more about that range...

Klipsch stuff has always been great, so you can definitely look at that.

Amp is required for anything but powered monitors, and that's an important thing to keep in mind. Are you looking for REFERENCE speakers or actual speakers? There's a massive difference. Reference speakers will give you the sound as is, it will be sharp and perfectly reproduced... but most people don't like that. Speakers on the other hand will give you a warmer and brighter sound that you may be more accustomed to.

You have a Sound card, so you don't even have to start thinking about a DAC, but they are highly recommended.

If you can afford a pair of KRKs, then by all means get them. They're fantastic monitors. Just keep in mind they will sound very differently to a normal set of speakers.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6652
I've got Creative 2.1s, they are utter crap. Never again.

For an entire setup I could spare 600, maybe 700 euros. From what I've read so far I just need an amp and speakers for the moment. Non-reference speakers would probably suit me better.

Can I use the amp for both my headphones and the speakers?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

Lucien wrote:

I've got Creative 2.1s, they are utter crap. Never again.

For an entire setup I could spare 600, maybe 700 euros. From what I've read so far I just need an amp and speakers for the moment. Non-reference speakers would probably suit me better.

Can I use the amp for both my headphones and the speakers?
Yes you can.

That is what I have right now (bar the DAC), and I do not feel like I have to get a subwoofer.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6652
Those are all far too expensive for me, though.

Someone pick me a good amp from here, please :(
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5998|The Mitten
http://www.focal.com/en/home-audio-loud … cal-xs.php

Focal is a really good brand, I'm a huge fan of their Twin6 Be monitor.
EE (hats
TSI
+247|5979|Toronto

Lucien wrote:

Those are all far too expensive for me, though.

Someone pick me a good amp from here, please :(
Can't get access to the site.

I'd suggest getting a good used amp first if you don't have the budget for a good new one. Otherwise, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon and Pioneer all make good amps under 300 euros. Get at least 80w/channel, and make sure you're getting a stereo/quadraphonic one. 5.1/7.1s are just needlessly expensive and won't be as good for your application.

Or else, just get the M-Audios, they'll do a good job until you can spare more money for a full system with awsm parts.
I like pie.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5998|The Mitten

Code:

[quote=Lucien]Those are all far too expensive for me, though.

Someone pick me a good amp from [url]here[/url], please :[color=rainbows][/color]([/quote]
o.O
you need to the url m8
EE (hats
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6389

I got some unknown Chinese company's speakers - Microlab solo 6C.  Considering I paid the same price for my logitech speakers (120 AUD), they beat the hell out of them.  Then again, two speakers with 6 inch diaphragms and 1 inch tweeters was bound to beat any logitech, generic chinese brand or not.

I'd really recommend them if you want big, deep sound at only 88 euros (seriously).  Their clarity isn't too bad either.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2010-12-03 16:59:09)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6147|'straya
I've got the Microlab PRO 3 speakers. They cost a bit more than your Solo 6Cs but I can also vouch for them. They aren't the best speakers in the world, but for the price they are pretty damn good.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard