mikkel
+383|6601
Uzique was drinking alone again, and took the anger that stems from his loneliness out on his speakers.
Defiance
+438|6671

Uzique wrote:

ok guys

got really fucked last night and had a lot of people in my room, yada yada... long story short, woke up today and the sound on my computer is pretty fucked. the speakers crackle with a sort of static whenever the volume is pushed to a decent level, as if they're broken... but i know they're not (unless every single speaker somehow broke, at once). im not sure if the computer applied any automatic updates, or if it crashed, even... it locked up during the night when a playlist was playing and had to have the power turned off and back on again.

odd. any ideas?
What sort of speaker set up is it? All you can really do is play with the parts, swap out different ones, etc to find out where in the chain the problem lies. Hook them up to an mp3 player, if possible, and that'll tell you whether it's your computer or not pretty quickly.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5961|Places 'n such
check no-one accidentally pulled some wires out and theyre grounded?
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas
Could be drivers

my E-MU gives me odd pops and crackles when I leave it on for too long :\. It doesn't have win-7 appropriate drivers soo
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

mikkel wrote:

Uzique was drinking alone again, and took the anger that stems from his loneliness out on his speakers.
yeah most definitely that, i mean how do you figure me out so easily

cheers for the advice. i'll check it all out thoroughly when i've got the time and effort. pretty strange.

im thinking it's driver/software related, though, cause the crackles happened after the weird computer freeze
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

Do the speakers still crackle if you hook up any other audio source?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
it seems one of the speakers got damaged somehow... when doing isolated channel tests the buzzing/screeching noise was very clearly coming from one of my 5.1 speakers (centre-right). the top tweeter rings and sounds like it's mechanically failing. if i apply pressure to the cone, the harsh noise goes away. i've just kinda caved in the cover for now and it's working fine. guess it was one max-volume song too many...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6312

I'm looking to get a smart phone for the new year to replace my Samsung Slyde. Anyone have or know someone that owns a Samsung Galaxy S? The AMOLED screen looks pretty damn impressive.
jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

my phone has one, great screen, does not seem to get warm and is vivid
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

Girlfriends brother has one. It's an awesomely nice phone. Then again I'm a sucker for android. Incidentially I'm posting this from an iOS device

Last edited by max (2010-11-18 21:10:08)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6739|Toronto | Canada

Only 2 people Ive known who had them had theirs break within a month and send it back for 6 weeks... and one of them came back broken too
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6312

Dammit I keep hearing mixed reviews about it. Dunno what to do
alexb
<3
+590|5940|Kentucky, USA

So Windows 7 doesn't exactly run as good as I'd like on my laptop, and since the battery is worn out, I'm looking to switch to Linux. Any good distro's out there besides Ubuntu? If it helps, here are the specs of the laptop:

Core 2 Duo T7100 @ 1.8Ghz
2GB Dual Channel RAM @ 667Mhz
GeForce 8400M GS
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6312

Not sure what the req specs are but my friend has been using Mint for about 7-8 years now. Seems like a solid distro.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6414|Finland

Looks like I have brand new Enermax Revolution85+ 850w shipping towards me. Yay my fav PC parts store delivers like always
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6659|The darkside of Denver

Uzique wrote:

it seems one of the speakers got damaged somehow... when doing isolated channel tests the buzzing/screeching noise was very clearly coming from one of my 5.1 speakers (centre-right). the top tweeter rings and sounds like it's mechanically failing. if i apply pressure to the cone, the harsh noise goes away. i've just kinda caved in the cover for now and it's working fine. guess it was one max-volume song too many...
send it to freezer for repair.

You can pay him in Hustler magazines and warming KY.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2010-11-19 08:35:42)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

alexb wrote:

So Windows 7 doesn't exactly run as good as I'd like on my laptop, and since the battery is worn out, I'm looking to switch to Linux. Any good distro's out there besides Ubuntu? If it helps, here are the specs of the laptop:

GeForce 8400M GS
Just up the memory to 3gb or 4gb.  I'm running Windows 7/64 Ultimate on a T4200 (2 GHz Dual Core) with 3GB with an HD4570, with 1080P LED LCD, and it games just fine.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas

alexb wrote:

GeForce 8400M GS
667Mhz RAM? Is that DDR?

(If so, I have a couple of 2GB sticks laying around that you could take off my hands)
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4968|Dundee, Scotland.

Bevo wrote:

alexb wrote:

GeForce 8400M GS
667Mhz RAM? Is that DDR?

(If so, I have a couple of 2GB sticks laying around that you could take off my hands)
SODIMM?
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas
nope, suppose they would have to be that to fit in a laptop eh
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4968|Dundee, Scotland.

Bevo wrote:

nope, suppose they would have to be that to fit in a laptop eh
yup haha
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black

How can stuff get so dated so quickly??
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

SonderKommando wrote:

Uzique wrote:

send it to freezer for repair.

You can pay him in Hustler magazines and warming KY.
im not even sure it was the individual speaker hardware broken now...

i switched around the jacks/channels (because it was my centre-right that i thought was 'broken' - i moved it to rear right, less important) and now the crackling and 'damaged' sound will source from another speaker. it's as if the speakers can't handle the high-range anymore, they just crackle and break-up. connections are all (seemingly) fine; no visible damage; no recent driver changes made, either, according to windows update tool. damn why did i have to play drunken music so damn loud?
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6691|Devon, England
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black
It was rhetorical..
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard