Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
i think with half life 2 it is MEANT to be linear, story-driven, and extremely 'focussed', i.e. the less deviating away from the proper path, the better (there are exceptions made, of course, when solving puzzles or trying to 'discover' something in a given area). half life 2 doesn't claim to be anything else, though: it's story-driven and valve don't make you waste much time doing shit that isn't directly pertinent to the ongoing plot. half life 2 would suck if there were meaningless 'side-missions' and 'distractions' to sink your time into. i don't think it would make the game any more 'immersive' or 'engaging'. half life 2 does what it says on the tin, and it does it fucking well.

call of duty's single-players have always been story-driven, too... but they lack the same engaging quality. the first 2 games had average single-player campaigns that were actually worth playing - after that, the 'modern warfare' series seem to be a tour-de-force of bad hollywood movie cliches, stock characters and predictable 'controversial' scenes to stir up media attention and hype. it's all utter dross. the fact that the writing and the plot of each campaign is so utterly shite means that the linear design and limited, scripted maps don't hold their own. in half life 2 it works because the game is actually entertaining. in the call of duty games (the more recent ones especially), when the storyline and characters suck ass, and are basically the story-writing equivalent of an ADHD sufferer going nuts with a collection of bad children's stories, it doesn't hold its own. you just get bored.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-11-14 11:42:50)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6154|Vancouver | Canada

Uzique wrote:

you just get bored.
I got bored after 10 minutes.

The only reason I didn't uninstall is the fact that the alterIW guys are working on alterOps, so I want to see what MP is like.
(Probably just like MW2 MP, but hope springs eternal.)

Last edited by DefCon-17 (2010-11-14 12:10:41)

Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6691
30 bullets in a 20 round mag.
Experimental weapons hanging on a random wall in a slum apartment.
NVA using FALs.
This game is a failure.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6284|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Uzique wrote:

i think with half life 2 it is MEANT to be linear, story-driven, and extremely 'focussed', i.e. the less deviating away from the proper path, the better (there are exceptions made, of course, when solving puzzles or trying to 'discover' something in a given area). half life 2 doesn't claim to be anything else, though: it's story-driven and valve don't make you waste much time doing shit that isn't directly pertinent to the ongoing plot. half life 2 would suck if there were meaningless 'side-missions' and 'distractions' to sink your time into. i don't think it would make the game any more 'immersive' or 'engaging'. half life 2 does what it says on the tin, and it does it fucking well.

call of duty's single-players have always been story-driven, too... but they lack the same engaging quality. the first 2 games had average single-player campaigns that were actually worth playing - after that, the 'modern warfare' series seem to be a tour-de-force of bad hollywood movie cliches, stock characters and predictable 'controversial' scenes to stir up media attention and hype. it's all utter dross. the fact that the writing and the plot of each campaign is so utterly shite means that the linear design and limited, scripted maps don't hold their own. in half life 2 it works because the game is actually entertaining. in the call of duty games (the more recent ones especially), when the storyline and characters suck ass, and are basically the story-writing equivalent of an ADHD sufferer going nuts with a collection of bad children's stories, it doesn't hold its own. you just get bored.
omfg

I agree with Uzique...

What's going on
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6740|FUCK UBISOFT

Superior Mind wrote:

NVA using FALs.
This game is a failure.
MP5Ks before MP5s were invented.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
FloppY_
­

Miggle wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

NVA using FALs.
This game is a failure.
Considering all the over the top unrealistic hollywood stuff in the game, you are concerned with weapons beeing contemporary?
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6467

Miggle wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

NVA using FALs.
This game is a failure.
It's a conspiracy!

FloppY_
­

11 Bravo wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

no by military i mean the ability to flank and or change directions of attack.
If by "flanking" you are referring to the tiny versions of it in COD:BLOPS, then yes, half-life 2 qualifies there aswell...
no...you can only do it from a set direction...stop being such a dolt
same applies to COD tbh...
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio

FloppY_ wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

If by "flanking" you are referring to the tiny versions of it in COD:BLOPS, then yes, half-life 2 qualifies there aswell...
no...you can only do it from a set direction...stop being such a dolt
same applies to COD tbh...
thats my fucking point
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5472|Ventura, California
I've barely heard of Black Ops, then I was playing BF-H the other day and some guy is like "OMFG the new COD is out! *jizz*".

So what did I miss?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
11 Bravo
Banned
the game
FloppY_
­

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I've barely heard of Black Ops, then I was playing BF-H the other day and some guy is like "OMFG the new COD is out! *jizz*".

So what did I miss?
Nothing worth playing
11 Bravo
Banned
or something to hold you over until bfbc2 vietnam
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5787|Catherine Black

FloppY_ wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

So what did I miss?
Nothing worth playing
Buy the fucking game, play multiplayer, then you have a standpoint to pass an opinion. Else, fuck off out this thread, retard.

11 Bravo wrote:

or something to hold you over until bfbc2 vietnam
AHAHA

Good one, 11B, laughed hard.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
11 Bravo
Banned
i wasnt joking
FloppY_
­

Finray wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

So what did I miss?
Nothing worth playing
Buy the fucking game, play multiplayer, then you have a standpoint to pass an opinion. Else, fuck off out this thread, retard.
Can't see how it would change anything considering how it's still a formula for fail...

I'll come back after the free weekend on steam and state how much I still hate it then...
iceman785
+93|6671|Alaska, mother fucker.
Hey guys, good news!  Infinity Ward isn't making the next MW! Yay!
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6563|Area 51

-Sh1fty- wrote:

So what did I miss?
At the moment you are missing out of what is probably the most horridly broken game ever made.
FloppY_
­

iceman785 wrote:

Hey guys, good news!  Infinity Ward isn't making the next MW! Yay!
Tell me Treyarch isn't either and I might be slightly interested
iceman785
Not that I know of, just pretty sure IF isn't at this point.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6389

iceman785 wrote:

Does IW even exist anymore?  Last I heard the main leaders had all left to make a new studio (just like how IW started off, really).
[-DER-]Omega
+188|6825|Lithuania
so this game is still a major lagfest on PC?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/fe717ed1eb823c939460a42f15bced7dd0057c51.png
iceman785

some_random_panda wrote:

iceman785 wrote:

Does IW even exist anymore?  Last I heard the main leaders had all left to make a new studio (just like how IW started off, really).
Yeah that's what my brother told me, said IF is pretty much gone now.  Wonder who the new developer will be.  Hopefully not the same people.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Uzique wrote:

the fact that all other guns have recoil/spray deviation for console gamers (i.e. easy to control with joystick) means that the sniper really doesn't have an 'edge', either. hence my point about it needing a console-type autoaim to really hold its own. you're just playing with a purposeful handicap to try and snipe on 80% of black op's maps. the low-rank assault rifles are infinitely better at middle-range and do just as well at long, sniping distances, too.
I gave up on sniper rifles way back in CoD4. Instead, I used a silenced M14, which was even more effective if you played in hardcore mode.

Still not able to play CoD7...at least not single player. The lists of workarounds I found on Google are enormous and ridiculous.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6147|'straya

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

so this game is still a major lagfest on PC?
Never had the lag everyone complains about. But looking at steam forums, I'd say yes, it's stil a lagfest.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard