KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Turquoise wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

what makes you guys think that prison spending would go down? The prison-guard lobby throws insane amounts of money to politicians and candidates to make sure spending goes up every year.  You have to cut the head off the beast, not trim the nails.
There's a simple solution to that.  Put forth a referendum on outlawing prison guard unions.

The public would likely be in favor of breaking them up.

Come to think of it, they should do the same with teacher unions.
But if the system is already controlled by money (through lobbying and campaign/proposition funding) and the prison guards union has a rich history of throwing money around, what makes you think a referendum would even get through?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

what makes you guys think that prison spending would go down? The prison-guard lobby throws insane amounts of money to politicians and candidates to make sure spending goes up every year.  You have to cut the head off the beast, not trim the nails.
There's a simple solution to that.  Put forth a referendum on outlawing prison guard unions.

The public would likely be in favor of breaking them up.

Come to think of it, they should do the same with teacher unions.
But if the system is already controlled by money (through lobbying and campaign/proposition funding) and the prison guards union has a rich history of throwing money around, what makes you think a referendum would even get through?
True...  I mean, it could just be that California is fucked.  The current state of your budget would seem to imply that.  Granted, my state's budget is fucked too.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5698|College Park, MD
I believe the state's current purpose is to allow residents of other states to say, "at least we're not like California."
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

I blame the Asian community.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

Turquoise wrote:

So, in the last few years, we've seen two significant referendum choices by Californians.

Proposition 8 was passed -- effectively banning gay marriage until the courts decided to intervene.

Proposition 19 failed -- keeping illegal an already easily available substance both illegally and through a superficial "medical" system.
The democratic process rejected it, hard luck.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

Macbeth wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjD9yD_nVyg
funny lots of asians i know in cali smoke a ton of weed.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

Cybargs wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

They aren't the ones voting...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

Ilocano wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

felons cant vote m8
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6651

Overbearing parents can't stand if their kid gets an A- after only studying for 10 hours last night, let alone having all of California become ridiculously lazy since everyone would've picked up smoking if it passed.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Cybargs wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

felons cant vote m8
your little internet gangster friends? lol whatever dude.  Get a clue.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

felons cant vote m8
Westminster, Mira Mesa, Rancho Penasquitos.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Ilocano wrote:

Rancho Penasquitos.
sounds like a restaurant
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

felons cant vote m8
wah ching muda facka.
Smithereener
+138|6313|California
I'm for legalization, but I went ahead and looked for some reasons why people voted No on 19 and came up with this and a couple other sites. I don't know to what extent it's true or anything, but some of it seems a bit compelling. May shed some light on why some people might have been against 19, though in the end I doubt any of the people I know that were pissed with 19 failing will see it as anything but "he voted no on weed man, what an asshole/idiot/fucking cunt/etc."
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

So, in the last few years, we've seen two significant referendum choices by Californians.

Proposition 8 was passed -- effectively banning gay marriage until the courts decided to intervene.

Proposition 19 failed -- keeping illegal an already easily available substance both illegally and through a superficial "medical" system.
Indeed.  I definitely question the wisdom of having referendums much anymore.  It would seem that the public is typically ignorant of what they are voting on.

California already ruined itself partially because of their referendum taxation structure, and it would appear that their grasp of social issues is rather lacking as well.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5910|...

Smithereener wrote:

I'm for legalization, but I went ahead and looked for some reasons why people voted No on 19 and came up with this and a couple other sites. I don't know to what extent it's true or anything, but some of it seems a bit compelling. May shed some light on why some people might have been against 19, though in the end I doubt any of the people I know that were pissed with 19 failing will see it as anything but "he voted no on weed man, what an asshole/idiot/fucking cunt/etc."
Many people who believe that marijuana has medical benefits do not believe that it should be made available for everyone...I have spoken with some medical marijuana activists here in MI that are very much against the idea of legalizing it.  I can see both sides of the argument though.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Smithereener wrote:

Very interesting points actually. The ideal proposition would basically make it like tobacco, no restrictions beyond that.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Indeed.  I definitely question the wisdom of having referendums much anymore.  It would seem that the public is typically ignorant of what they are voting on.

California already ruined itself partially because of their referendum taxation structure, and it would appear that their grasp of social issues is rather lacking as well.
Cali here.  I support Prop 13...  You'll understand once you've owned a few houses in Cali.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Ilocano wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cali here.  I support Prop 13...  You'll understand once you've owned a few houses in Cali.
So how's the state gonna get its money for its budget? They'll just raise taxes in/on something else.
Turquoise
O Canada

Ilocano wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Honestly, I don't think I really understand much of anything about California.  Granted, there's a lot about my own state I don't understand either (or about America in general).
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

felons cant vote m8
wah ching muda facka.
hahahahaha k.  This aint the '80s.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

So how's the state gonna get its money for its budget? They'll just raise taxes in/on something else.
Prop 13 will be untouchable because senior citizens are an active force in California politics.  No one is going to kick out granny out of her paid for house just because newlywed couple next door is paying more taxes on identical properties.

Money will eventually return when small businesses recover.  Small-cap and Mid-cap companies are among what keeps Cali a dominant economic power.  Entrepreneurship, venture capitalists, Silicon valley, San Pedro / Long Beach ports, travel hub, "cheap labor, wink, wink", etc. 

My small-cap and mid-cap funds are doing quite nicely, BTW.
Turquoise
O Canada

Ilocano wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Prop 13 will be untouchable because senior citizens are an active force in California politics.  No one is going to kick out granny out of her paid for house just because newlywed couple next door is paying more taxes on identical properties.

Money will eventually return when small businesses recover.  Small-cap and Mid-cap companies are among what keeps Cali a dominant economic power.  Entrepreneurship, venture capitalists, Silicon valley, San Pedro / Long Beach ports, travel hub, "cheap labor, wink, wink", etc. 

My small-cap and mid-cap funds are doing quite nicely, BTW.
Speculative markets will most likely continue to rape California and Florida.  It's like gambling on a massive scale, but the government will foot the bill when it comes time to pay if you happen to be powerful enough.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6703
Turquoise, you just cited the only real conservative decisions that the state has made.  Don't mention Governor Schwarzenegger, because I think we can agree that he's not conservative.

Boxer was just re-elected for senate, and she's a liberal nutcase with no class.  If California is not liberal, then how the hell did she get re-elected?
Oh, yea, and our new governor is Brown.  Didn't he fuck the state up enough the first time?  He was responsible for loads of taxes and restrictions, and he's a career politician.  Just what we need, another one!

The reason that Prop 19 didn't pass is that people are realizing it might be a bad idea to legalize a drug that makes you act like a "dope".  Also, Californians have more experience with "dope" smokers than most people and know how stupid they can be.

The only way someone would believe that the state was going to make any money from prop19 is if they were high.  It said on the law that people would be able to grow it in their own backyards.  It would have been dirt cheap, everywhere, and the result would be more stupid people.  Just what we need!

As a whole, California is not totally retarded yet.  That's about all I can say.
Turquoise
O Canada

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Turquoise, you just cited the only real conservative decisions that the state has made.  Don't mention Governor Schwarzenegger, because I think we can agree that he's not conservative.

Boxer was just re-elected for senate, and she's a liberal nutcase with no class.  If California is not liberal, then how the hell did she get re-elected?
Oh, yea, and our new governor is Brown.  Didn't he fuck the state up enough the first time?  He was responsible for loads of taxes and restrictions, and he's a career politician.  Just what we need, another one!

The reason that Prop 19 didn't pass is that people are realizing it might be a bad idea to legalize a drug that makes you act like a "dope".  Also, Californians have more experience with "dope" smokers than most people and know how stupid they can be.

The only way someone would believe that the state was going to make any money from prop19 is if they were high.  It said on the law that people would be able to grow it in their own backyards.  It would have been dirt cheap, everywhere, and the result would be more stupid people.  Just what we need!

As a whole, California is not totally retarded yet.  That's about all I can say.
If California wasn't "totally retarded", they'd realize the following....

Marijuana is essentially legalized already by having a medicinal system in place.  The only difference between this and total legalization is that a handful of growers get to have a state supported oligopoly on supplying marijuana, which artificially raises the value of it.

It doesn't really matter though, because a large portion of America has been fucking retarded from the get go.  And it's not just an American problem either.  A lot of the world is fucking retarded enough to think that making personal choices illegal is a good idea to satisfy whatever their religion tells them to think or whatever their prejudices support.

I guess the best option at this point is to just find some humor in the stupidity of people in general and laugh at them when all their plans to control people's personal decisions go awry.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard