FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

GM's gonna have an IPO soon.

DOIT!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD

FEOS wrote:

DOIT!
how certain are you that it'll go up? I might just do that if the IPO is low enough.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

DOIT!
how certain are you that it'll go up? I might just do that if the IPO is low enough.
/sarcasm
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

FEOS wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

DOIT!
/sarcasm
well shit it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could have a decent resurgence
buy low sell high.. i just sold my BP
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

/sarcasm
well shit it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could have a decent resurgence
The point is buying stock in companies with solid fundamentals and holding it long term.

Not sold on GM falling in that category right now.
― Albert Einstein

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

FEOS wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

/sarcasm
The point is buying stock in companies with solid fundamentals and holding it long term.

GM will undoubtedly spike if it launches low. I wouldn't feel comfortable long term.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

JohnG@lt wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

GM will undoubtedly spike if it launches low. I wouldn't feel comfortable long term.
exactly
― Albert Einstein

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

JohnG@lt wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

but short term if it spikes it'd be fine, no? Imagine if it launches at, say $2/share (pulled that number out of my ass) and goes up to $20 for a bit. that's pretty decent.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

FEOS wrote:

but short term if it spikes it'd be fine, no? Imagine if it launches at, say $2/share (pulled that number out of my ass) and goes up to $20 for a bit. that's pretty decent.
I think I read it's expected to launch at around $18. If you think it's gonna spike go for it. I'd rather buy options on it to hedge my bet.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
$18? fuck that then
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

$18? fuck that then
$26-29 actually.

The U.S. will cut its ownership stake in General Motors Co. below the symbolically important 50% to about 35% when the car maker relists its stock later this month, according to new figures the company plans to disclose Tuesday, but it will be tough for the government to break even on its investment.

Neal Boudette discusses GM's IPO plans, which will raise up to $10 billion and cut the government's stake to below 50%.
Journal Community

The new projections by GM say the company could have a stock-market value at the start of trading of $50 billion—about the same as the solidly profitable Ford Motor Co.—and that it could be as high as $60 billion, said people familiar with the plan.

But for the U.S. to break even through sales of the rest of its stake, the share price may need to rise more than 60% from its initial level, to about $50.

The initial public offering plan envisions the shares would be priced at $26 to $29 each, these people said. The actual price of the stock to be sold in the IPO would be set about Nov. 17, and the sale would take place the following day.

Through the IPO, GM plans to sell 24% of its total shares, or about $10 billion worth, based on the midrange of the share-price estimate.

The shares to be sold are owned by the U.S. Treasury, a union-run trust and Canadian federal and provincial governments, said the people familiar with the plan.

Under the plan, the Treasury would sell $7 billion of its shares, paring its 61% stake to about 35%—lower than many observers expected. The United Auto Workers trust, which pays for retiree health care, would sell $2 billion of its shares, while Canada and Ontario would offload around $1 billion of their shares.

The plan includes a stock split that will triple the number of GM common shares available to 1.5 billion. Outstanding warrants—the right to buy shares—boost the total to 1.8 billion.

Details of the stock offering are expected to be filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday, in advance of a "road show" GM is set to launch Wednesday to promote the IPO to prospective investors.

GM executives will divide into two teams to pitch the IPO. One team will spend two days in the New York area this week, while the other will head to Toronto, according to people familiar with the plan. On the road show, GM will likely face tough questions about its untested management team, holes in its product plans and the role the U.S. government will play in its business operations—all seen as key risks to GM's longer-term success.

The Obama administration is seeking to recoup the $49.5 billion that taxpayers poured into GM. Critics refer to the company as "Government Motors," and the U.S. ownership stake has tainted the company in the eyes of some potential car buyers.

GM last week returned $2.1 billion to the U.S. government, bringing the total amount it has handed back to $9.5 billion, through loan repayments, interest payments and dividends, the Treasury said.

The Treasury was under pressure to meet expectations that it would begin selling its stock in 2010, though market and auto industry conditions are less than ideal for a large IPO. The post-election timing was intended in part to avoid political fallout at the polls should the offering disappoint, according to people familiar with the plan.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … 20254.html
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I think I read it's expected to launch at around $18. If you think it's gonna spike go for it. I'd rather buy options on it to hedge my bet.
you can actually make decent money on puts and calls as hedge bets.  The father of a girl I dated in high school was insanely sucessful doing it and actually wrote a book about it.  He was an Ayn Rand fanatic too.  You guys would probably get along great.  I think he lost a lot of money after an SEC investigation though, something about manipulating the market because he and his business parter controlled a sizeable mutual fund in the early '90s.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

you can actually make decent money on puts and calls as hedge bets.  The father of a girl I dated in high school was insanely sucessful doing it and actually wrote a book about it.  He was an Ayn Rand fanatic too.  You guys would probably get along great.  I think he lost a lot of money after an SEC investigation though, something about manipulating the market because he and his business parter controlled a sizeable mutual fund in the early '90s.
I'm not a fanatic

Anyway, yeah, I was suggesting a call option on the stock.

What's the name of the book?
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

it escapes me right now, but i know i've got a copy or two packed away.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

it escapes me right now, but i know i've got a copy or two packed away.
If you stumble upon it or remember his name let me know
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
White Rock Minerals +66.7% Should have bought more, survey drilling done, samples in lab, waiting for assays.
Clean Seas Tuna -65% Debating whether to put more in, in 9 months they'll either be bankrupt or soaring like eagles.

Didn't put much in either of the above.

Remainder of my shares, made ~8.5% this year and paying ~7% dividends from here.

I think I'll see if the GBP/AUD drops below 1.50 and maybe buy some more pounds in anticipation of the UK bouncing back and Australia slipping back a bit as the commodities boom subsides. Might therefore take a bit of profit from BHP and Macarthur Coal.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-12-30 18:11:47)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I'm currently up slightly over 40% for the year.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
White Rock Minerals - up 94%. Sold half at +80%, wait and see on the rest.
I'll be drinking imported beer tonight.

Now if my other shares could make 80% in two months.....
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois
who's up for a stock competition on virtualstockexchange.com? 
13/f/taiwan
+940|5668
I have all this money and it's just sitting in a bank account. I need to figure out this shit.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5969|Vortex Ring State

HaiBai wrote:

who's up for a stock competition on virtualstockexchange.com? 
lez do it
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5969|Vortex Ring State
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
So last June I bought stock before BP capped the oil well.

A little under a year later, I'm up 63.4%

Bought Hornbeck Offshore Services (HOS) [My brothers company] at $16.23, today it's at $31.75
Bought Halliburton at $27.93, today it's at $49.62
Bought BP at $33.13, today it's at $44.25

Not bad

And yeah, not everything is roses...
I did buy GM at $35.20 and it's sitting at $31.18
I did buy CISCO at $20.30 and it's sitting at $17.28
Can't win em all
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6100|North Tonawanda, NY
My tears flow freely for your losses.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard