Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney
So I'm on this workout routine and eating healthier, drinking plenty of water etc.

I'm feeling pretty good so far and am staying well on track, but some advice would be appreciated. I'll break it down to make it easier to reply to.

My goal is to lose the body fat and tone up, add a little bit of muscle bulk too.

Diet: I've cut out anything that is fried or battered at all. I make a real effort to make all my own meals, and if I have to get takeaway I'll choose something like a 6-inch sub or a sandwich made at a local deli. I read that increasing your metabolism with the foods you eat is a good way to couple weight loss with workout, so I've been eating rolled oats with plain greek yoghurt and natural honey for breakfast, turkey, cheese, tomato and lettuce on wholemeal bread for lunch and dinner I have a bunch of steamed vegies, sometimes with a couple smallish potatoes (boiled then baked in the oven crisp them up a little, virtually no oil) and some protein of some kind (usually half a porterhouse steak, chicken kiev or a couple sausages). For snacks I've been eating apples and if I'm quit hungry during the middle of the day I'll have a second sandwich. I've also bought some protein drinks to drink (Up&Go) once a day, not sure if this is a good idea or not. Also been having one Omega 3 capsule a day.

Workout: It's taken me about a week or so to suss it out but I think I have it close to sorted now. Mon/Wed/Fri I'll do 6 minutes on the exercise bike (45 seconds medium, 30 seconds hard, 45 seconds medium, 3 reps of that) followed by 7 dumbbell exercises (3 sets each, the weights I've almost sussed out and have been aiming to get the correct weight so by the end of the third set I'm struggling to complete the last couple reps) followed by a repeat of the bike routine to conclude. Tues/Thurs/Sat I'll do 20 straight minutes of the same kind of cardio on the bike followed by some ab exercises that I found on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkKCVCZe … feature=iv
On Sundays I'll give myself a day off from working out.

I try to drink PLENTY of water, have avoided any softdrink and cut back my alcohol intake significantly, and I try to get enough sleep at night. I also try to have dinner by 7pm (work sometimes does not allow this and I won't eat till 9:30 some nights) and not snack after dinner.

So, is that all sounding good? Am I missing something? Am I doing something wrong? What am I doing right?

Thanks Bf2s
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Jaekus wrote:

So I'm on this workout routine and eating healthier, drinking plenty of water etc.

I'm feeling pretty good so far and am staying well on track, but some advice would be appreciated. I'll break it down to make it easier to reply to.

My goal is to lose the body fat and tone up, add a little bit of muscle bulk too.

Diet: I've cut out anything that is fried or battered at all. I make a real effort to make all my own meals, and if I have to get takeaway I'll choose something like a 6-inch sub or a sandwich made at a local deli. I read that increasing your metabolism with the foods you eat is a good way to couple weight loss with workout, so I've been eating rolled oats with plain greek yoghurt and natural honey for breakfast, turkey, cheese, tomato and lettuce on wholemeal bread for lunch and dinner I have a bunch of steamed vegies, sometimes with a couple smallish potatoes (boiled then baked in the oven crisp them up a little, virtually no oil) and some protein of some kind (usually half a porterhouse steak, chicken kiev or a couple sausages). For snacks I've been eating apples and if I'm quit hungry during the middle of the day I'll have a second sandwich. I've also bought some protein drinks to drink (Up&Go) once a day, not sure if this is a good idea or not. Also been having one Omega 3 capsule a day.

Workout: It's taken me about a week or so to suss it out but I think I have it close to sorted now. Mon/Wed/Fri I'll do 6 minutes on the exercise bike (45 seconds medium, 30 seconds hard, 45 seconds medium, 3 reps of that) followed by 7 dumbbell exercises (3 sets each, the weights I've almost sussed out and have been aiming to get the correct weight so by the end of the third set I'm struggling to complete the last couple reps) followed by a repeat of the bike routine to conclude. Tues/Thurs/Sat I'll do 20 straight minutes of the same kind of cardio on the bike followed by some ab exercises that I found on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkKCVCZe … feature=iv
On Sundays I'll give myself a day off from working out.

I try to drink PLENTY of water, have avoided any softdrink and cut back my alcohol intake significantly, and I try to get enough sleep at night. I also try to have dinner by 7pm (work sometimes does not allow this and I won't eat till 9:30 some nights) and not snack after dinner.

So, is that all sounding good? Am I missing something? Am I doing something wrong? What am I doing right?

Thanks Bf2s
I can't really comment on the workout, but I can comment on your diet.  I don't know what rolled oats are, but they sound like a carb, so that's ok.  Yogurt is good, but I'd reccommend non-fat plain yogurt if you want to be super healthy.  I'm not sure on the amount of sugar in honey, but I guess that's ok too.  Lunch is perfect.  For dinner, try to stay away from sausages if you can.

So overall, if you really want to add bulk, you need more protein, and cut back on the carbs a little.  Replace the potatoes with another portion of meat and vegetables.  I'd reccommend a protein bar as a snack, but it's not required.  The protein shakes are a very good idea, so keep doing that.

Everything I said above is nitpicky and are my own personal preferences.  I lost 30 pounds of fat in one summer by following these rules:

Don't eat 3 hours before you go to sleep.
You don't need many carbs, a single serving is enough.  (replace them with protein and veggies)
Don't eat any junk food.
Drink lots of water.
Eat 5-6 smaller meals per day rather then 2-3 big meals per day.
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
Thanks man
The yoghurt is low fat greek, plain as you can get.

My workout currently consists of this:

Cardio: exercise bike, 8 tension settings, start on tension 4. Go moderately for 45 seconds, then switch it up to 6 and go hard for 30 seconds. Then moderately for 45 seconds, on tension 4 again. I consider this one rep. On my "A" days (mon/wed/fri) I'll do 3 reps, the workout, then another 3 reps. On my "B" days (tues/thurs/sat) I'll do 10 straight reps of cardio, followed by the ab exercises above (I can't get through them all lol, which is a good thing I guess).

Workout: 3 sets of each, dumbbells for all
Biceps curl
Flat chest press
Standing lateral lift
Flat chest flies
Reverse curls
Reverse shoulder flies
Shoulder press

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-11-04 01:51:38)

White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6522|Scotland

Zimmer wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Sonder and Zimmer etc, what do you think of this deal?

http://www.ezsports.co.uk/index.php?pag … p;Itemid=7

It is a local shop to me, the guy that runs it is opening up a proper gym where i stay (finally) www.forge-gym.com  so don't mind spending a little extra to support the guy.
http://www.ezsports.co.uk/stacks?page=s … gory_id=15

Much better.
Cheers!
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6501

ha I just found this thread and I had been looking for one just like this on here......

Anywho been lifting heavy and hard for about 6 months and gained about 20 lbs of lean muscle (With a little increase in BF% ofcourse hehe)

Im about to go get a lift in ill post workout regiment/diet/supplement use after but all I can say is bodybuilding.com is a GREAT resource and I have found many different helpful articles on there as well as dirt cheap prices for some of the greatest supps you can find.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6630|The darkside of Denver

farmerfez wrote:

ha I just found this thread and I had been looking for one just like this on here......

Anywho been lifting heavy and hard for about 6 months and gained about 20 lbs of lean muscle (With a little increase in BF% ofcourse hehe)

Im about to go get a lift in ill post workout regiment/diet/supplement use after but all I can say is bodybuilding.com is a GREAT resource and I have found many different helpful articles on there as well as dirt cheap prices for some of the greatest supps you can find.
Hey, welcome to the thread.  BB.com is a great resource, but usually you can find sups even cheaper in the right places (locally).  You gained 20lbs of lean muscle in 6 months?? On which diet and training split, thats quite a bit.....
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6431|UK

SonderKommando wrote:

farmerfez wrote:

Hey, welcome to the thread.  BB.com is a great resource, but usually you can find sups even cheaper in the right places (locally).  You gained 20lbs of lean muscle in 6 months?? On which diet and training split, thats quite a bit.....
20lbs that's pretty good. I've never actually ventured too much onto BB.com I just assume everyone is lying! I mean it's not rocket science most of the time work hard, eat good and rest. The actually problem most people have is actually going to the gym.

I probably will give it a look.
Home
Section.80
+447|6818|Seattle, Washington, USA

wah1188 wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

farmerfez wrote:

20lbs that's pretty good. I've never actually ventured too much onto BB.com I just assume everyone is lying! I mean it's not rocket science most of the time work hard, eat good and rest. The actually problem most people have is actually going to the gym.

I probably will give it a look.
bb.com is a good resource, you just have to remember to take everything on there with a grain of salt. It's a board full of testosteroney dudes who ALL think they are right about lifting. A lot of the times guys will talk about things like they are talking scientifically proven facts when they are really just talking out of their asses.
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6501

SonderKommando wrote:

farmerfez wrote:

First off to quote on the bb.com reference.....
The forums are definitely not the place to look at when looking for training advice but the articles are definitely worthwhile and make sure you pay attention to who actually wrote it because that makes a BIG difference on if you want to use the information in it or not.
Anyway to my training/diet.....

High protein, High carb diet. Usually had a 24g protein shake with every major meal of the day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) as well as one immediately post workout. Also one casein one at night right before bed.

I'm currently on a 6 day a week training schedule working chest, middle/upper back, tri's and bi's and Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and working quads, calfs, abs, and lower back on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday taking Sunday off.

4 sets of 8 reps on each exercise I do usually doing 2-3 exercise per muscle group starting with a warmup set at about 80%, 2 sets at normal repping weight, then 1 set of 6 at about 120% of repping weight. Increased weights on all lifts every week if I could. Basically never let my muscles get too comfortable. Changed something in my workouts every 2-3 weeks to avoid plateaus and the such. NO CARDIO as I was trying to build muscle mass and not necessarily trying to cut fat. Tried to get 6-8 hours of rest a night as well because muscle is built during sleep not in the gym .

As far as supps go my stack includes:
Optimum Whey Protein (Post workout and any other shake)
Optimum Casein Protein (Night time protein shake)
Animal Pak Multivitamin pack (1 per day but may move up to 2)
Muscle Pharm Assault for pre-workout
Muscle Pharm Recon for post workout
Muscle Pharm Bulletproof for sleep aid and night time recovery

Main thing is to simply train hard and effective always changing something and your gains will be quick and noticeable in the first 3 months.

Hoping to bulk another 10-15lbs by March then cut down to about 6% BF. Im currently weighing 170 with about 15% BF.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois

farmerfez wrote:

wish i had the money to afford all of this

so you get 100g of your daily protein from shakes alone?  that's crazy
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6501

HaiBai wrote:

farmerfez wrote:

Not quite 100 but around there, I need about 160gish of protein and its hard to get that in food alone.

Haha yeah it is expensive but bb.com usually has good deals on a lot of that stuff and it usually lasts for awhile so I just make my orders around when my paycheck comes in so it's usually not an issue.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

farmerfez wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

farmerfez wrote:

Not quite 100 but around there, I need about 160gish of protein and its hard to get that in food alone.

Haha yeah it is expensive but bb.com usually has good deals on a lot of that stuff and it usually lasts for awhile so I just make my orders around when my paycheck comes in so it's usually not an issue.
You shouldn't be taking that much liquid protein. It's not as effective as solid proteins.

Hard to get in food alone? Say what? 1 tin of Tuna is already 27g of Protein. 100g of Chicken contains  25g; A single egg contains 9g (9x3 = 27g for a scrambled egg). That can be breakfast, snack and dinner and you've already got at least 80g of protein from food alone.

So what you're taking is ridiculous. No need mate.
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6501

Zimmer wrote:

farmerfez wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

You shouldn't be taking that much liquid protein. It's not as effective as solid proteins.

Hard to get in food alone? Say what? 1 tin of Tuna is already 27g of Protein. 100g of Chicken contains  25g; A single egg contains 9g (9x3 = 27g for a scrambled egg). That can be breakfast, snack and dinner and you've already got at least 80g of protein from food alone.

Well its not necessarily liquid protein but I see what you mean. But you also have to look at the fat content of all the other things that are high in protein. I mean my diet does consist of a lot of high protein foods but the shakes make it so much easier to get that much more protein in without having to prepare food or go out and buy it. Just one scoop in 12oz of water in my shaker and in a minute 24g of protein with no fat.
I know my diet isn't perfect but it's good enough for what I'm trying to accomplish.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Zimmer wrote:

farmerfez wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

That's good to hear. I eat tons of chicken and generally have scambled eggs for breakfast.
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6566|Toronto-Canada
i've been wondering

when you guys do squats
do get the marks from the muscle ( cant remember what its called? when you lie the bar on?
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6162|Roma
I get an ache across my shoulders if I don't use a padded bar if that's what you mean?
It's a lot of weight to have lying across that muscle.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6501

just flex your traps without the pad on and its not too bad. Your skin and muscle becomes tougher and in the long run not using the pad when you squat is better.
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
So no more comments regarding my post above?
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5735|Belgium
@farmerfez, fats aren't necessarily bad, in fact, they're very important resources for your body...

@Jaekus, you seem to be doing a lot of cardio. I'm assuming your primary goal is losing fat then? (okay, just read another post, it is )
Also, I've never been a fan of doing cardio before lifting my weights, and quite frankly it can have some negative effects on your training as your cardio ill already have depleted some or all of your glycogen storage, meaning your body has to start burning fat for energy, which I believe isn't advantageous for your lifts..

And if I didn't miss anything, am I correct if I say you only train Biceps/Chest and Shoulders?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

farmerfez wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

farmerfez wrote:

Well its not necessarily liquid protein but I see what you mean. But you also have to look at the fat content of all the other things that are high in protein. I mean my diet does consist of a lot of high protein foods but the shakes make it so much easier to get that much more protein in without having to prepare food or go out and buy it. Just one scoop in 12oz of water in my shaker and in a minute 24g of protein with no fat.
I know my diet isn't perfect but it's good enough for what I'm trying to accomplish.
You need to read up on some diet books mate. You have it all wrong. In case of body building and working out, fats are very very good for you, and do not MAKE YOU FAT. Carbs and unecessary energy makes you fat.

Also... the foods I told you about have absolutely no fat in them, so I have no idea what you're on about...

And it is liquid protein what you're having. The body doesn't know how to manage proteins that come in liquid form as well as solids.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6522|Scotland
I did wonder why people don't just have loads of protein shakes...
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6501

Zimmer wrote:

farmerfez wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

You need to read up on some diet books mate. You have it all wrong. In case of body building and working out, fats are very very good for you, and do not MAKE YOU FAT. Carbs and unecessary energy makes you fat.

Also... the foods I told you about have absolutely no fat in them, so I have no idea what you're on about...

And it is liquid protein what you're having. The body doesn't know how to manage proteins that come in liquid form as well as solids.
actually when massing carbs>fat. Yes you need fat but you can just eat a greasy burger and think its doing anything good for you. I know you need fat but not nearly in as much quantity as carbs or protein because eating too much fat WILL MAKE YOU FAT whereas if you eat the right kind of carbs and are active 6 days a week they will turn into energy. You want to lower carb intake when cutting BF% because thats when the fat stores are used for energy, when there's no carbs.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5735|Belgium
There are different kinds of fat as well, something you seem to not know.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6630|The darkside of Denver

lxcpikiman wrote:

i've been wondering

when you guys do squats
do get the marks from the muscle ( cant remember what its called? when you lie the bar on?
Yes.  After three years of heavy squatting I have developed a nice rough patch calice like spoton my shoulder from an olympic bar.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

farmerfez wrote:

actually when massing carbs>fat. Yes you need fat but you can just eat a greasy burger and think its doing anything good for you. I know you need fat but not nearly in as much quantity as carbs or protein because eating too much fat WILL MAKE YOU FAT whereas if you eat the right kind of carbs and are active 6 days a week they will turn into energy. You want to lower carb intake when cutting BF% because thats when the fat stores are used for energy, when there's no carbs.
Note the word "greasy burger". Since when did I mention unhealthy food in this thread? There's good fat, like the fat you get from nuts, and then there's bad fat that you get from "greasy burgers" if you want to put it that way. Eating nuts and the sort is very good for you, much better than eating a bowl of pasta when building.

Carbs are good, but you can build quite easily without a massive intake of carbs - just the ones you need for the workouts and that's it. Read up Tom Venuto - Burn The Fat, Feed the Muscle if you want more information on that sort of thing.

I don't disagree with you, but you're making wildly generalised statements that are quite incorrect when reading into them.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard