Announcement

cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6029|NJ
Holy shit this countries laws are getting out of control and the idiots who enforce them are even worse. Just a list of news articals that seem to violate everything this country stands for.

A gas attendentand getting arrested for telling a girl she can pay him with a kiss.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/1 … tatio.html


a four year to be sued?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/29/nyreg … terstitial

and legally owned guns will land you in jail for 7 years.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-n … ke-no-laws

Three million lawyers in this country all trying to make their mark.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|5738|North Carolina
Unfortunately, America and a few other countries like the U.K. are extremely litigious.

I don't know why this is, but it clearly shows a flaw in the system.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|5871|Long Island, New York
What is your issue with the first two? The first case is, without a doubt, sexual harassment. There's nothing more to it. It may have been innocent, but it was unprofessional conduct. Getting arrested for it? Alright, a little far in MY eyes, but still justifiable.

The second one... did you even read the article? What would you have done if that was your mother who was struck? Now, suing the daughter is a little weird... I'd sue the parents for negligence. Completely their fault on that one for not keeping a closer eye on their kids.

The third one I understand is ridiculous.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6029|NJ
Poseidon you are everything that is wrong with this world.

The first one is a persons word against an others, and in my option shouldn't have been taken to the law. Should have been handled through the company it's self. Sexual harassment is bullshit outside of the work place, which that was. Instead of calling the cops, call the manager and complain.

If my 87 year old grandmother got hit by a 3 year old and died, I would bury her and leave the 3 year olds family alone. Seriously, if a young girl accidentally hit your old as fuck grandmother you'd sue them?

Well at least you have a little common sense.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|5987

Poseidon wrote:

What is your issue with the first two? The first case is, without a doubt, sexual harassment. There's nothing more to it. It may have been innocent, but it was unprofessional conduct. Getting arrested for it? Alright, a little far in MY eyes, but still justifiable.

The second one... did you even read the article? What would you have done if that was your mother who was struck? Now, suing the daughter is a little weird... I'd sue the parents for negligence. Completely their fault on that one for not keeping a closer eye on their kids.

The third one I understand is ridiculous.
I agree on all three points, but I don't think he's questioning the legality of each issue so much as the pursuance of legal action in the first place...30 or 40 years ago people probably would have acted differently with regards to pursuing legal action in each instance. 

The second incident would've resulted in a "kids will be kids" sort of response, and probably a spanking or solid smack to the side of the head from the parents. 

The sexual harassment incident probably would have happened way MORE often back then, with little consequence due to the different social mores/norms back then.

The third incident would have probably never made it to court in the first place - the guy was obviously a responsible gun owner and would not have been messed with a few decades ago, regardless of what the exact letter of the law is.


I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but I'd say it's undeniable that - whether for good or ill - our litigiousness has increased drastically in the past couple of decades.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|5738|North Carolina

Poseidon wrote:

What is your issue with the first two? The first case is, without a doubt, sexual harassment. There's nothing more to it. It may have been innocent, but it was unprofessional conduct. Getting arrested for it? Alright, a little far in MY eyes, but still justifiable.
It was definitely unprofessional, but I get the impression that there's more to this story than was revealed.  Unless this guy has a history of doing this sort of thing, there's a good chance that the girl was flirting some as well.

Poseidon wrote:

The second one... did you even read the article? What would you have done if that was your mother who was struck? Now, suing the daughter is a little weird... I'd sue the parents for negligence. Completely their fault on that one for not keeping a closer eye on their kids.
I can agree with this though.
jord
Member
+2,382|6011|The North, beyond the wall.
You can pay for your gas by letting me slam you mercilessly.
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|4343|Ontario, Canada
I don't like the second one. Why sue? If your really angry and want to avenge your mom's death, try to put the girl in prison for manslaughter. As stupid and retarded as that is, how in any way does money make up for yourmoms death? 50% of sueing cases are cheap ways to get cash quick in my eyes, and therefore disgusting.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5035|College Park, MD
How the hell is a four year old gonna pay for damages anyway?

Civil suits are fucking stupid.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|5738|North Carolina

Acerider wrote:

I don't like the second one. Why sue? If your really angry and want to avenge your mom's death, try to put the girl in prison for manslaughter. As stupid and retarded as that is, how in any way does money make up for yourmoms death? 50% of sueing cases are cheap ways to get cash quick in my eyes, and therefore disgusting.
Well, compensation is the point of a lawsuit -- not vengeance, although I realize a lot of people get confused on that.

It's like how people utilize criminal cases as a vengeance system rather than a justice system.  Sometimes, vengeance and justice are the same thing -- sometimes not.
jord
Member
+2,382|6011|The North, beyond the wall.

Turquoise wrote:

Acerider wrote:

I don't like the second one. Why sue? If your really angry and want to avenge your mom's death, try to put the girl in prison for manslaughter. As stupid and retarded as that is, how in any way does money make up for yourmoms death? 50% of sueing cases are cheap ways to get cash quick in my eyes, and therefore disgusting.
Well, compensation is the point of a lawsuit -- not vengeance, although I realize a lot of people get confused on that.

It's like how people utilize criminal cases as a vengeance system rather than a justice system.  Sometimes, vengeance and justice are the same thing -- sometimes not.
Don't humour him or he'll only chime in more.

50% of lawsuits are to get cash quick? Nice figure where did you pluck it from... Try adding 45% to it.

Apathy is taking over for me anyway so rather than call you up pace on your bone, captain obvious statements I'm just gonna ignore them. Despite the temptation to just deliver some verbal justice and take you down a few pegs.
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|4343|Ontario, Canada

Turquoise wrote:

Acerider wrote:

I don't like the second one. Why sue? If your really angry and want to avenge your mom's death, try to put the girl in prison for manslaughter. As stupid and retarded as that is, how in any way does money make up for yourmoms death? 50% of sueing cases are cheap ways to get cash quick in my eyes, and therefore disgusting.
Well, compensation is the point of a lawsuit -- not vengeance, although I realize a lot of people get confused on that.

It's like how people utilize criminal cases as a vengeance system rather than a justice system.  Sometimes, vengeance and justice are the same thing -- sometimes not.
Actually I'm more concerned that sueing is more for profit than vengeance or compensation. Not in all cases, but in many. Likethe women who burned her hand on mcdonalds coffee and sued because the lable never said it was hot and won the suit and a million dollars. That's not compensation, that's profit. Though now that you mention it, vengeance seems to be behind the suing of the four year old more than profit. Cause a four year old can't pay the money back, but it can cripple the family. Maybe the daughter of the victim thinks that the 4 year olds family shouldn't get off scot free for what they caused, no matter if they knew what they were doing or not. Only God knows why these lawsuits happen though.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|5901|Mountains of NC

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|4691|London, England

Acerider wrote:

I don't like the second one. Why sue? If your really angry and want to avenge your mom's death, try to put the girl in prison for manslaughter. As stupid and retarded as that is, how in any way does money make up for yourmoms death? 50% of sueing cases are cheap ways to get cash quick in my eyes, and therefore disgusting.
FOAD.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|5802

Acerider wrote:

I don't like the second one. Why sue? If your really angry and want to avenge your mom's death, try to put the girl in prison for manslaughter. As stupid and retarded as that is, how in any way does money make up for yourmoms death? 50% of sueing cases are cheap ways to get cash quick in my eyes, and therefore disgusting.
She died three months later of unrelated causes.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5804

Turquoise wrote:

Unfortunately, America and a few other countries like the U.K. are extremely litigious.

I don't know why this is, but it clearly shows a flaw in the system.
the UK is nowhere near as litigious as america.

civil law courts are still quite inaccessible, when it comes to representation and costs, tbh.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5035|College Park, MD

NooBesT wrote:

Acerider wrote:

I don't like the second one. Why sue? If your really angry and want to avenge your mom's death, try to put the girl in prison for manslaughter. As stupid and retarded as that is, how in any way does money make up for yourmoms death? 50% of sueing cases are cheap ways to get cash quick in my eyes, and therefore disgusting.
She died three months later of unrelated causes.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|4343|Ontario, Canada

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

NooBesT wrote:

Acerider wrote:

I don't like the second one. Why sue? If your really angry and want to avenge your mom's death, try to put the girl in prison for manslaughter. As stupid and retarded as that is, how in any way does money make up for yourmoms death? 50% of sueing cases are cheap ways to get cash quick in my eyes, and therefore disgusting.
She died three months later of unrelated causes.
Then it was for profit
13rin
Member
+977|5812

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Holy shit this countries laws are getting out of control and the idiots who enforce them are even worse. Just a list of news articals that seem to violate everything this country stands for.

A gas attendentand getting arrested for telling a girl she can pay him with a kiss.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/1 … tatio.html


a four year to be sued?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/29/nyreg … terstitial

and legally owned guns will land you in jail for 7 years.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-n … ke-no-laws

Three million lawyers in this country all trying to make their mark.
Gas station attendant needed to be arrested.
4 year old girl case needs to be thrown out.
New Jersey sucks ass.  I'm glad the Judge's re-appointment failed.  Free that guy.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6029|NJ
See wtf on the mcdonalds one as well. These people made me fat, they should reward him with a shotgun. Also it's not 100% the peoples fault, it's also the judges faults for awarding these people the time in the court room.

I think that cases like the 4 year old should be able to have a counter suite. Lets remember that an 87 year old woman might have the same mental state of the 4 year old child. It's insane to think that a judge actually decided to move foward on that case, who cares what older cases said.

Why would you arrest the gas attendant? Holy crap it's on the word of a 17-18 year old girl..

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2010-10-29 14:13:13)

13rin
Member
+977|5812

cpt.fass1 wrote:

See wtf on the mcdonalds one as well. These people made me fat, they should reward him with a shotgun. Also it's not 100% the peoples fault, it's also the judges faults for awarding these people the time in the court room.

I think that cases like the 4 year old should be able to have a counter suite. Lets remember that an 87 year old woman might have the same mental state of the 4 year old child. It's insane to think that a judge actually decided to move foward on that case, who cares what older cases said.

Why would you arrest the gas attendant? Holy crap it's on the word of a 17-18 year old girl..
Yea... I remember the hot coffee thing. 

What's stopping the family from counter suing?

Well, if she only had $10 and he put in $20s worth....  I'd like to see some video from that one.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5035|College Park, MD
I love how a 15 year old gangbanger around here just gets sent to the shitty youth correctional system for a few months for anything less than rape or murder, but a four year old who accidentally (or maybe even purposefully) hit an old lady, causing her to break her hip can be sued. Shouldn't the fact that she's four years old fall under the whole "failure to comprehend the consequences of one's action" bit?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|5738|North Carolina

Uzique wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Unfortunately, America and a few other countries like the U.K. are extremely litigious.

I don't know why this is, but it clearly shows a flaw in the system.
the UK is nowhere near as litigious as america.

civil law courts are still quite inaccessible, when it comes to representation and costs, tbh.
Well, the U.K. apparently has a ton of corporate injunctions on the media, and libel laws allow for much more litigation over there (see the libel tourist for a good example).
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6029|NJ

DBBrinson1 wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

See wtf on the mcdonalds one as well. These people made me fat, they should reward him with a shotgun. Also it's not 100% the peoples fault, it's also the judges faults for awarding these people the time in the court room.

I think that cases like the 4 year old should be able to have a counter suite. Lets remember that an 87 year old woman might have the same mental state of the 4 year old child. It's insane to think that a judge actually decided to move foward on that case, who cares what older cases said.

Why would you arrest the gas attendant? Holy crap it's on the word of a 17-18 year old girl..
Yea... I remember the hot coffee thing. 

What's stopping the family from counter suing?

Well, if she only had $10 and he put in $20s worth....  I'd like to see some video from that one.
Regardless, it's not sexual harassment unless it's in the workplace. Wow he said "Hey it was 20, you can pay me with a kiss", big fucking whoop. It's not like he raped her, also where is her pussy of a father. That mother fucker should have driven there and made him apologize. Now worst case, this kid ends up in jail or on the Megan's law website and we the tax payer have to cover the cost.

Counter suing? I'm 100% that people have better things to do then spend money on attorneys(which is what these lawyers want, it's them and a buddy getting employment off this deal) and time in court.
13rin
Member
+977|5812

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Regardless, it's not sexual harassment unless it's in the workplace. Wow he said "Hey it was 20, you can pay me with a kiss", big fucking whoop. It's not like he raped her, also where is her pussy of a father. That mother fucker should have driven there and made him apologize. Now worst case, this kid ends up in jail or on the Megan's law website and we the tax payer have to cover the cost.
22 ain't a kid.  At minimum he should be incarcerated for ripping off the gas station.  I wonder how many times he's tried this and it worked? 

Do people guilty of sexual harassment go to jail in NJ?  Where was Dad?  I guess doing the right lawful thing by going to the police station...

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Counter suing? I'm 100% that people have better things to do then spend money on attorneys(which is what these lawyers want, it's them and a buddy getting employment off this deal) and time in court.
Pro Bono? Can't think of a reason anyone would want to defend a little 4 year old girl from this.

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2010-10-29 20:08:38)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2022 Jeff Minard