Capt. Foley
+155|6598|Allentown, PA, USA
think about it
2 of the wars that the people were trying to practicly draw up the battle plans we are doing our worst in
Vietnam and Iraq

During Vietnam Politicions and the Media started trying 2 draw up battle plans for the soldiers to follow-we lost pretty much(would of been possible 2 win if we had the support of the nation for the just cause we were doing).

Iraq- I am under the idea that we will probably not win this"war" because of the fact that the media is trying to tell the military how 2 fight the war, I agree that the people should know what is going on, but it is causing needless deaths over there how we are not aloud 2 just go in full force and take out the enemy(if that meens military action against Iran or Syria then do it just so the wars will be over and the soldiers can come home.

You dont need to take out there goverments just go in and "hurt" there military and destroy the terrorist training camps like in the first Gulf War.
Rellim83
+7|6692|PA
What in the world are you talking about....If anything drawing up battle plans saves lives.
Yes we technically lost vietnam and mabye we will technically lose in iraq, but if look at the number of losses on both sides in either conflict then you could assume we won.
In both wars very few american soldiers died compared to the amount of casualties we inflicted on the opposing forces.

If there is one thing america is absolutly fabulous at its finding new ways to kill people. Most of our deaths in iraq  dont happen because of poor battle plans they happen because of accidents and because of sucide bombers.

Their is no way to draw up a battle plan that stops sucide bombers, thats is of course until we develop the technology to read minds.

Our defeat in vietnam had nothing to do with poor battle plans, it had to due with the fact that the civilian population did not support us, and their is no way to fight a war against civilians.
dedelus
+4|6663
The fact of the matter is both of the wars you mentioned were insurgency wars.  Those wars are won about .0001% of the time by military force.  that means 99.99% of the time the insurgents win, but not because they beat the occupying force.  Becasue they make the casulity rate so high that the cost just becomes too much.  Even our own military leaders have said that we won't win in Iraq through force, but by training the Iraqis to fend for and defend them selfs.  Once the Iraqi police/military become operational and the US leaves, things will settle down,
Capt. Foley
+155|6598|Allentown, PA, USA
no what im saying is let the MILITARY draw up battle plans because they kno what 2 do

i dont like the idea of how the public sometimes thinks they should be drawing up the battle plans almost

shit
not medics lol media hehe

Last edited by Capt. Foley (2006-05-09 15:49:51)

Jack_Danger
+2|6678|America
The military DOES draw up battle plans. The media doesn't draw them up. The media just criticises and takes sides on everything, not tell the soldiers what to do...
SaladForks
/ph34r
+129|6592|Eastern USA
I thought the medics were the one that prevented the needless casualties

[/joke]
whittsend
PV1 Joe Snuffy
+78|6768|MA, USA

Capt. Foley wrote:

think about it
2 of the wars that the people were trying to practicly draw up the battle plans we are doing our worst in
Vietnam and Iraq

During Vietnam Politicions and the Media started trying 2 draw up battle plans for the soldiers to follow-we lost pretty much(would of been possible 2 win if we had the support of the nation for the just cause we were doing).
If I understand what you are saying, I agree.  The more technologically advanced we become, the higher the level at which practical military decisions are being made.  Back before high tech warfare, anyone who wasn't present at the scene of a fight, was unable to give instructions regarding its conduct.  First came radio, then telvision, and with them, commanders further and further behind the lines could stick their noses into it.  With the future warrior program, you will have Division and Corps commanders telling troops what to do on the ground!  I believe this is a recipie for getting soldiers killed.  Let those high ups deal with grand strategy, and let the senior NCOs and Junior officers conduct the small unit stuff, as is traditional.

The last thing, I, as a troop on the ground, want, is some General with little practical combat experience, telling me how to kill Sammie or Hajji, who is 250m in front of my face!

The same is true of those same Generals - The big plan is their area of expertise...with television, you have politicians seeing things they didn't in the past.  Of course they want to give their two cents, and they are often completely uninformed, but because of their postions, the Generals can't tell them to get lost.  How many Generals do you suspect would like to tell Rumsfeld to go F**k himself?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Capt. Foley wrote:

You dont need to take out there goverments just go in and "hurt" there military and destroy the terrorist training camps like in the first Gulf War.
Skipping over the rest of your mostly incomprehensible post just for the moment, I would like to mention that...well, we're back over there. Obviously, just "hurting" a military does nothing to supress a regime.

But I believe I understood the spirit of what you were trying to say. The meddling of high command in tactical scenarios has been apparent for quite awhile. Remember Normandy?

Well, one quote fits this thread fairly easily:

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do, and they will suprise you with their ingenuity."
    - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-05-10 06:57:47)

Fred[OZ75]
Jihad Jeep Driver
+19|6769|Perth, Western Australia
Yes the military is the best people to fight wars... not chicken-hawks like Rumsfeld, if anyone has been drawing up the wrong plans and not listening to the military it is him. The military is also not the best people to keep the peace, police forces are... The US military is geared up to fight the USSR not local gangs of Iraq and terrorist groups just look how quickly it killed off the actual Iraqi army and how much trouble it has now, the US should be sending in plenty of police and let the military back them up.

As for Vietnam, the US was defeated the moment it went in... well unless it nuked the place back to the stone age along with several surrounding countries (ie kill everyone).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard