Wreckognize
+294|6484
Anyone else hear about this?

The Orb, the visionary UK 'ambient/house' collective, came to collaborate with David Gilmour after working together on a version of Graham Nash's Chicago for a charity project. Youth (aka Martin Glover), a frequent Orb accomplice, was invited to create a remix, and he and Alex Paterson, as The Orb, were so energized by the task that they continued working until it was an album-length entity. Having asked Gilmour to bring his guitars to Youth's studio in South London to prolong and enrich their new creation, the trio worked up a sonic mixture in a range of styles. Thus, the Metallic Spheres project was born.

Metallic Spheres is designed to be heard in two parts – 'Metallic Side' (24'48"), and 'Spheres Side' (25'09"). Each track, or side, consists of five movements. The album uniquely utilizes David Gilmour's electric guitar and lap steel guitar, Alex Paterson's sound manipulation, keyboards and turntables, and Youth's bass guitar and keyboards. The album will be available in three formats: standard and 2-disc deluxe versions on CD; digital download; and 180-gram vinyl. The deluxe 2-CD version includes an extra disc, featuring the new 3D60™ process, which allows a 360-degree sound experience on stereo tracks without any special equipment.
It's real sick.  Be sure to use headphones and a spliff for maximum enjoyment.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6626|UK
Grabbed it the other day but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Looking forward to it.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

Had heard about it, grabbed it, but haven't listened to it yet. (Actually, plan on listening to it on the ride to the record store later today ).

I'm pretty excited for it because I'm a big fan of The Orb, but their recent stuff has been lacking. From what I've read, this is a return to form and goes back to some of their earlier stuff.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

5 min in and I'm really enjoying this already. This is the Orb I remember. Could almost go as far as saying it sounds like those later Floyd albums (minus Waters) but a bit more spacey and not shitty. Has that 90s feel to it, I want to say.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard