Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6617
milk is acidic
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6821|Canberra, AUS

Acerider wrote:

Off-topic I know, but would milk be considered a neutral substance?
No.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5156|Ontario, Canada
Thanks.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5504|London, England

Acerider wrote:

Thanks.
Milk is a base...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
+874|6821|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

Acerider wrote:

Thanks.
Milk is a base...
???

It's acidic as Uzique said. The fats in there.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5504|London, England

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Acerider wrote:

Thanks.
Milk is a base...
???

Ahh, I guess it is. Weird. I was always taught it was a base
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
+874|6821|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Milk is a base...
???

Ahh, I guess it is. Weird. I was always taught it was a base
Don't know what milk you get but it doesn't taste like soap to me

Last edited by Spark (2010-10-13 06:22:18)

~ Richard Feynman
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5156|Ontario, Canada
Just googled it. Milk has an average Ph 0f 6.7 fresh. Uzique's right.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6557|'Murka

Lactic acid?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+796|6831|United States of America
If it's 6.7, it's very slightly acidic, because you all remember of course that 7 is neutral. Wiki says average pH is 6.4-6.8

Spark what are you on about, though? Talking about fat as an influence on pH and soap?
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5182|Massachusetts, USA
Didn't they teach us that shit in high school science class?
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6617
i havent taken a science class in 4-5yrs
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5182|Massachusetts, USA
Well, you're still learned so it doesn't matter whether you have taken a class or not. Ace however, we are unsure his credentials are even comparable to a Freshmen in high school.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
FEOS
+1,182|6557|'Murka

Oooo....irony.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
+874|6821|Canberra, AUS

DesertFox- wrote:

If it's 6.7, it's very slightly acidic, because you all remember of course that 7 is neutral. Wiki says average pH is 6.4-6.8

Spark what are you on about, though? Talking about fat as an influence on pH and soap?
fats are generally speaking acids.

bases generally feel/taste like soap.
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
+1,182|6557|'Murka

Spark wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

But soaps are normally made with fats...
― Albert Einstein

SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6276|North Tonawanda, NY

FEOS wrote:

Spark wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Maybe he's thinking fatty acids?  I was not aware that fat itself was acidic...
Spark
+874|6821|Canberra, AUS

SenorToenails wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Spark wrote:

that's what i meant, yes. iirc a lot, if not most of the fat you eat is.

soaps aren't basic of themselves, but bases certainly start a similar chemical process in your skin to soap - they saponify the fats in your skin (don't know enough about the mouth to say whether that happens in the mouth though), which gives you soap basically by definition. obviously if the base is strong enough for this to really happen then soapiness is not the only thing you'll feel...
~ Richard Feynman
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
It's been a real long time since I've taken either biology or chemistry (and I've never taken biochemistry), but I thought fats were triglycerides composed of 3 fatty acids and a glycerol?  I sort of thought that the bonding process of the fatty acids would make them not-acidic, but I don't really know for sure.
Spark
+874|6821|Canberra, AUS

SenorToenails wrote:

It's been a real long time since I've taken either biology or chemistry (and I've never taken biochemistry), but I thought fats were triglycerides composed of 3 fatty acids and a glycerol?  I sort of thought that the bonding process of the fatty acids would make them not-acidic, but I don't really know for sure.
hm you could be right there. certainly rings a bell. if that's true then they're technically esters, which aren't acidic at all.
~ Richard Feynman
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6145|...

SenorToenails wrote:

Pretty much yeap.
inane little opines
FEOS
+1,182|6557|'Murka

Spark wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

hm you could be right there. certainly rings a bell. if that's true then they're technically esters, which aren't acidic at all.
fats...esters...bells are ringing in the depths of my mind somewhere...
― Albert Einstein

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6145|...
I hate chemistry yet I study biochem

////
inane little opines
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6617

SenorToenails wrote:

yeah but milk isn't just pure fat in an isolated chemistry lab, is it

it's slightly acidic, not neutral
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Uzique wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

yeah but milk isn't just pure fat in an isolated chemistry lab, is it

it's slightly acidic, not neutral

Spark wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

FEOS wrote:

that's what i meant, yes. iirc a lot, if not most of the fat you eat is.

soaps aren't basic of themselves, but bases certainly start a similar chemical process in your skin to soap - they saponify the fats in your skin (don't know enough about the mouth to say whether that happens in the mouth though), which gives you soap basically by definition. obviously if the base is strong enough for this to really happen then soapiness is not the only thing you'll feel...
I wasn't talking about milk.  I was talking about fats.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard