rdx-fx
+955|6589
If I want a decent winter shirt, I generally can't find it locally.  I have to order it from Austria.
If I want decent cutlery, I have to find a specialty store 90 miles from here that orders it in from Germany.
We don't do quality anymore, as a rule.

Ilocano wrote:

You can't buy grandma's Kitchen-Aid new anymore.  Pro grade doesn't even compare to the pre-plastic era.

I'm referring to consumer grade, not industrial/commercial grade.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

rdx-fx wrote:

If I want a decent winter shirt, I generally can't find it locally.  I have to order it from Austria.
If I want decent cutlery, I have to find a specialty store 90 miles from here that orders it in from Germany.

Ilocano wrote:

You can't buy grandma's Kitchen-Aid new anymore.  Pro grade doesn't even compare to the pre-plastic era.

Umm, we don't do anything anymore, as a rule We import everything, remember?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6495

i wish i still had my gas guzzling Chevelle, at least i could work on it. . .
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

JohnG@lt wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Even the Japanese do that these days.  Sad state of affair.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

Why exactly? Why is making the things we use in our own country any different than using a product made elsewhere? I'm never going to meet the person that operates the machine that builds my knife whether he lives in Seoul, Billings or Frankfurt. He's just a nameless, faceless guy that produced something that I use. Where he happens to reside on the planet is irrelevant.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5997|The Mitten

JohnG@lt wrote:

dayarath wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Transport is fine here, we just have union operators so the costs keep getting jacked sky high to the point that it's not worth commuting by bus or train anymore in lieu of having the freedom of driving. A monthly ticket for the railroad costs something like $350 now. A car payment is about the same.
350 for a month? bah.

If we're going with improving highways, try and have it done in and around cities. It's an absolute disaster trying to fit everything in such a limited space.

Whether you try to go underground or over you're still gonna be stuck with nasty seemingly vital intersections that clog up everything.
Well, I'm thinking about Long Island and NYC specifically. There are about 8 million people that live on Long Island and/or Brooklyn/Queens (same island) and there are three main arteries that extend east and west, all of which are completely clogged come rush hour or when there is an ounce of construction or police activity. There just has to be a better way.
the LIE really needs 9 lanes - 3 east, 3 west, and 3 permanently under construction.
EE (hats
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Why exactly? Why is making the things we use in our own country any different than using a product made elsewhere? I'm never going to meet the person that operates the machine that builds my knife whether he lives in Seoul, Billings or Frankfurt. He's just a nameless, faceless guy that produced something that I use. Where he happens to reside on the planet is irrelevant.
Quality standards.  Shun knives made in China than in Japan.

Like how all the Lexus brands, except RX, are still built in Japan.  At least since a couple years ago from what I recall.

Remember the made in China pet food recall awhile back?  Exploding power supplies and capacitors?  Lead containing paint on toys.  Standards.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

As far as infrastructure, capacity demand always changes, for the more in most cases.  Way back when, two lane highways were more than adequate.  Here in SoCal, we struggle with 4 lane one way highways now.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Quality standards.  Shun knives made in China than in Japan.

Like how all the Lexus brands, except RX, are still built in Japan.  At least since a couple years ago from what I recall.

Remember the made in China pet food recall awhile back?  Exploding power supplies and capacitors?  Lead containing paint on toys.  Standards.
Ok, so pay more and buy the few remaining Made in America items. 99% of Americans don't care about any of that which is why they buy the cheapest disposable crap they can find at their local Walmart. Nothing really wrong with that, it's their money to waste and their choice. I still seek out quality myself, I just know it's not found in America or China.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

JohnG@lt wrote:

Consumption baby, consumption.
Fixed.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Consumption baby, consumption.
Fixed.
Yeah, I guess you didn't use any resources today right?
-Frederick Bastiat
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6466
I think we should go the Australian route and use more AUTO-GYROS.

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/DoctaStrangelove/Welcome_to_Australia.jpg?t=1286841241
A scene of an average Australian road. The desert makes maintenance costly, so commuters are encouraged to use AUTO-GYROS.

I did however hear that Australia also has an energy crisis, and I don't think that AUTO-GYROS (even the small ones popular in Australia) would be very fuel efficient. But if you want to keep road maintenance low, they're a good place to start.

Last edited by Doctor Strangelove (2010-10-11 17:14:54)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

John G@lt wrote:

Yeah, I guess you didn't use any resources today right?
I'm not calling for more resources to be used to dig tunnels so people can drive more. Tunnels are immensely costly.

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

I think we should go the Australian route and use more helicopters.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182 … 1286841241
A scene of an average Australian road. The desert makes maintenance costly, so commuters are encouraged to use helicopters.
Thats an autogyro.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-10-11 17:08:14)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

I think we should go the Australian route and use more AUTO-GYROS.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182 … 1286841241
A scene of an average Australian road. The desert makes maintenance costly, so commuters are encouraged to use AUTO-GYROS.

I did however hear that Australia also has an energy crisis, and I don't think that AUTO-GYROS (even the small ones popular in Australia) would be very fuel efficient. But if you want to keep road maintenance low, they're a good place to start.
I thought they rode emu's.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
We ride kangaroos.
Phrozenbot
+632|6613|do not disturb

As little Joeys?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6690
Melt down all cars to make horse shoes. Bring back horses. Mechanics become veterinarians. All roads replaced with cobbles. Fuel stations become hay and oat silos and distributors. Highways grow over as no one knows how to ride a horse or even where to buy one. I Am Legend scenario follows.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Unlimited time, unlimited budget:

• Raised (where necessary) highway with a heavy investment into easy-maintenance cement deco occasionally (outside of being non-specific architecture) representing local city art/sports/industry to reduce monotony. Massive 'solatube' network piping any sunlight to underside of raised highway
  • Five primary lanes each direction (not including car pool). Wide shoulders for maintenance access or stalled vehicles on both sides of the highway. Two-way express lane toggle (open one way or open the other; not both). Carpool/vanpool specific exits for mass transit at critical locations on the inside (carpool) lane. Two-way (one lane each) emergency vehicle highway with access to roads and highway for quicker response time.
  • Ample lighting (white light; warm lights make me sleepy) up top for night driving, with reflectors on the indented area of the guard rails. Electronic signage every 5-10 miles for each lane with live updates notifying travelers of closures for wrecks or maintenance well ahead to avoid unnecessary backup. Live highway cams every 5 miles. Rest areas with free coffee and internet access every 25 miles; well lit to discourage crime.
  • Thorough signage, notifying people of exits every 1/4 mile starting at 1 mile. Exits labeled by number, street and common destination (i.e., Exit 123; Smallberry ave; Downtown Hoboken; 1/2 miles). At least two lanes on each on/offramp (3-4 ideal, depending on traffic) into town or onto intersecting highways. Traffic-controlled onramps where necessary.
  • Make plans and slowly buy up land for a raised (where necessary) rail transit system running parallel to the highway. Build when roads and local population reach critical mass or when it becomes a common demand. You've got to know where people want to go. Video cameras all over the cars to deter crime.

Don't feel like going into further detail, but you get the point. Basically something that's pleasant to drive on, can get people from point A to point B in a timely fashion, lots of safety features, a restricted lane and exit system for emergency vehicles and a contingency plan for rail-based mass transit. Blah blah blah.

It's really expensive, but with the limitations posed by the OP, the only way besides up is down. I prefer up.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Hmmmm, not much lateral thinking in this thread.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6719|Sydney, Australia

JohnG@lt wrote:

Personally, I would go underground with individual tunnels for each lane. I've noticed that most traffic that isn't police activity related stems from people changing lanes erratically. While they themselves might be in full control of their vehicle, they make others around them nervous which leads to traffic slowdowns. Each tunnel would have a traffic lane and a breakdown lane. The breakdown lane would also double as a protected on/off ramp lane for exits and entrances. Lastly, I would have a migrating speed limit based on traffic conditions and a pretty severe speed limit enforcement system where the soft cap would be whatever is listed on the speed limit signs and the hard cap would be five miles above that where they would be fined by camera systems. No cops with flashing lights to stall traffic with rubberneckers.

Pros - Snow, rainy conditions and all other weather effects would be taken out of the equation. No more plowing, no more deicing, no flooding, and because it will be underground, you don't have to worry about freezing conditions either. This would cut down maintenance on the highway by a ridiculous margin.

Cons - High cost and unclear 'mineral rights' laws for any residents home which would be tunneled under.
I drive in several tunnels to and from uni each day. Expanding on your rather impractical solution (tunnel construction of that scale would be prohibitively costly, not to mention the geo-technical issues associated with digging up large amounts of material under highly urbanized areas) I think that it should be mandatory for cars to drive with their headlights on while in a tunnel. Currently we have signs saying to turn headlights on, but a lot of people don't bother - which means you can't see their fucking car.

Also, where would you put the exhaust stacks, as it's often a contentious community issue.

For example, the F3 freeway is the freeway that comes into Sydney from the north. At Hornsby in the city's north, the F3 merges onto a major (3 lane each way) road. As this is the main trucking route north, the road is packed with trucks from Hornsby until the major road reaches Sydney's Orbital system some 10km away. To ease congestion and vastly decrease truck travel times in the city, there has been a proposal for a tunnel to go under this main road, connecting the F3 to the orbal system. The idea has been on the shelf for about 5 years - no progress is ever made due to community resistance towards just 3 exhaust stacks along its length.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
That and all existing services would need to be re-routed around these wonder tunnels.
The gunner in the War of the Worlds who proposed something similar was mad BTW.
NAthANSmitt
Stud
+4|6127
A strip club off of every exit ramp.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina

Superior Mind wrote:

Melt down all cars to make horse shoes. Bring back horses. Mechanics become veterinarians. All roads replaced with cobbles. Fuel stations become hay and oat silos and distributors. Highways grow over as no one knows how to ride a horse or even where to buy one. I Am Legend scenario follows.
You know, if we brought back horses, you could employ thousands of people to clean the shit out of the streets.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6690

Turquoise wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

You know, if we brought back horses, you could employ thousands of people to clean the shit out of the streets.
My great-grandfather did that as one of his first jobs when he came to America back way when.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2010-10-12 22:48:27)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Responding to the tunnel post a few posts above, yeah. The reason I used raised highways in my own posts was due to the risks involved in tunneling under urbanized areas...especially in ones with unspecified soil/bedrock stability.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard