Ticia
+73|5331
Nobel peace prize goes to Liu Xiaobo

Not questioning if he deserves it, he's not Obama

China is not going to release him before time so how relevant are these prizes for laureates like him?

His name is all over the Media today and China is the big bad wolf it always was but nothing really is about to change,is it?
Almost 20 years ago Aung San Suu Kyi won this award and Myanmar is still one of the most repressive regimes around.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5233|Cleveland, Ohio
nobel prize is a fucking joke anyway
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6126|North Tonawanda, NY

11 Bravo wrote:

nobel prize is a fucking joke anyway
Nobel peace prize, yes.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
Yeah Obama was a funny one, I read a statistic that he's already signed off more drone strikes on Pakistan than Bush did during his 8 years.

This guy makes abit more sense, Chinese gonna get pissed but what dont these types not get angry at these days, muslims, commies and poor countries and meh you get bored of it all afterwards
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5006|Ontario, Canada
The peace prize is symbolic. It's more a recognition of a great attempt to bring peace often at risk to yourself.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England

Acerider wrote:

The peace prize is symbolic. It's more a recognition of a great attempt to bring peace often at risk to yourself.
No it's not, it's entirely political and has almost nothing to do with it's stated mission. Obama? A month after he was elected? Please. He got the award because Norwegians hate Bush.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
jord
+2,382|6674|The North, beyond the wall.

JohnG@lt wrote:

Acerider wrote:

No it's not, it's entirely political and has almost nothing to do with it's stated mission. Obama? A month after he was elected? Please. He got the award because Norwegians hate Bush.
Who doesn't?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

jord wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Acerider wrote:

Who doesn't?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/United_States_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg/220px-United_States_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6126|North Tonawanda, NY

JohnG@lt wrote:

Acerider wrote:

Don't forget Arafat and Gore.  Or that Gandhi was never awarded one, along with other notable omissons of people who did quite a bit to further peace.
jord

JohnG@lt wrote:

jord wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Who doesn't?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … 29.svg.png
I think it's a human trait to remember things better than they actually were at the time. In 20 years Bush may well be looked up to and not just by backwards ass, moronic rednecks.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6104|Birmingham, UK

jord wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Acerider wrote:

Who doesn't?
the millions of people who voted for him
jord

SEREVENT wrote:

jord wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Who doesn't?
the millions of people who voted for him
People don't just keep the same stance for their entire lives, especially sheeple. Millions that initially voted him in could well have grown to despise him in his time in office, much like disgruntled Obama supporters now.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

jord wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

jord wrote:

Who doesn't?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … 29.svg.png
I think it's a human trait to remember things better than they actually were at the time. In 20 years Bush may well be looked up to and not just by backwards ass, moronic rednecks.
Shrug, he was elected twice. Hundreds of millions of American citizens liked him.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I never voted for Bush and never liked him but if given the choice today between him and Obama, I would choose Bush.
-Frederick Bastiat
jord

JohnG@lt wrote:

I never voted for Bush and never liked him but if given the choice today between him and Obama, I would choose Bush.
They're both sub mediocre, do you not think the fact that Obama is currently in power sways your vote? Like I said, people remember things better than they were.

Though it's a given you won't have a competent leader for at least the next 20 years, a downside to having such a large population.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Well, here's the key thing. Social issues like stem cell research or wars can be fixed with the swipe of a pen. Fucking up an economy like Obama has done takes generations to fix. Yeah, bush bailed out the banks but he didn't nationalize the auto industry, the loan industry and turn health insurance into a state run monopoly with a weak facade of competition. Obama (and let's be clear here, this is mostly Pelosi and Reid, the President doesn't have much power outside of the veto) and his administration have set us back decades and launched us on the low growth, high unemployment trajectory that Europe has been having so much fun with.
-Frederick Bastiat
jord

JohnG@lt wrote:

Well, here's the key thing. Social issues like stem cell research or wars can be fixed with the swipe of a pen. Fucking up an economy like Obama has done takes generations to fix. Yeah, bush bailed out the banks but he didn't nationalize the auto industry, the loan industry and turn health insurance into a state run monopoly with a weak facade of competition. Obama (and let's be clear here, this is mostly Pelosi and Reid, the President doesn't have much power outside of the veto) and his administration have set us back decades and launched us on the low growth, high unemployment trajectory that Europe has been having so much fun with.
You have to factor in that Obama has come into power in a harder economy than Bush did, but I can see what you're getting at and I'm just playing Devil's advocate. I'm not particularly fond of Obama myself.
11 Bravo
Banned

Acerider wrote:

no pace51
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

jord wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

You have to factor in that Obama has come into power in a harder economy than Bush did, but I can see what you're getting at and I'm just playing Devil's advocate. I'm not particularly fond of Obama myself.
I understand that, but he's gone about fixing it in almost precisely the same way FDR did. This of course led to the Great Depression.

The problem with Obama is that he's little more than a figurehead. He's a weakling dominated by Congress when he's supposed to be the primary check on their power. Bush played the fool but at least you knew he wouldn't sign anything he didn't at least mostly agree with. This administration has been the Progressives wet dream. Weak president, full power in Congress. They've run rampant.
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned

jord wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

no fucking way.  the bubba era made the housing bubble burst.
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6122|So Cal
Yahoo News:
"In China, broadcasts of the announcement by CNN were blacked out. Popular Internet sites removed coverage of the Nobel prizes, placed prominently in recent days for the science awards. Messages about "Xiaobo" to Sina Microblog, a Twitter-like service run by Internet portal Sina.com, were quickly deleted. Attempts to send mobile text messages with the Chinese characters for Liu Xiaobo failed. "

China Fails if they have to do this shit. ^^
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5995|Vortex Ring State

Graphic-J wrote:

Yahoo News:
"In China, broadcasts of the announcement by CNN were blacked out. Popular Internet sites removed coverage of the Nobel prizes, placed prominently in recent days for the science awards. Messages about "Xiaobo" to Sina Microblog, a Twitter-like service run by Internet portal Sina.com, were quickly deleted. Attempts to send mobile text messages with the Chinese characters for Liu Xiaobo failed. "

China Fails if they have to do this shit. ^^
Guy is an insurrection starter-ish...

He's been planning to overthrow the Chinese Government for a while now.
Phrozenbot
+632|6612|do not disturb

jord wrote:

He wasn't forced to run for president, was he?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

With the exception of the Iraq war, Bush's presidency wasn't really that bad. You can't really blame 9/11 or the housing collapse on him. I do think 20-30 years Bush will be in a more favorable historical light. And if Iraq manages to get it's shit together on it's own, then goddamn Bush will be viewed as a pretty decent president.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

The problem with Obama is that he's little more than a figurehead. He's a weakling dominated by Congress when he's supposed to be the primary check on their power. Bush played the fool but at least you knew he wouldn't sign anything he didn't at least mostly agree with. This administration has been the Progressives wet dream. Weak president, full power in Congress. They've run rampant.
Of all the criticisms of Obama that I've heard over the last two years this is probably the one I would be most likely to agree with.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard