jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.

LaidBackNinja wrote:

jord wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

1) The "assailant" is unarmed, in which case you drive off if possible or lock your doors if not possible.

2) The assailant is armed, in which case you pull out your gun and he shoots you because he already had his gun ready.
Why would you drive off if you have the upper hand..?

2 is a case by case basis, perhaps he's only got an imitation firearm, perhaps he hasn't made ready, perhaps he hasn't taken care of his firearm, perhaps he doesn't really have it in him to actually shoot someone, perhaps perhaps perhaps. We can do a thousand hypotheticals but at the end of the day there's no negatives to legally carrying a pistol and many possible positives.
1) Why wouldn't you drive off? What could you possibly gain by confronting the punk trying to steal your car? Do you intend to counter-rob him? Or make a citizen's arrest, perhaps? He'd just run away.

2) The negative is obviously that if he could panic and shoot you if you pull out a firearm. Also: accidents. Every person on here will claim to be an expert and that they are always safe blabla. I know for a fact, however, that pistols especially are dangerous and many accidents happen with them.

Edit:
I just wanted to make clear that I am not a hippie or anything. I'm in the military and am intimately familiar with firearms, but it just seems wildly inappropriate to me to drive around with a loaded pistol wedged between the seats or stuck in the cup holder for easy reach. I put my cups in my cup holder. Maybe it's just because I'm a European that I think this level of preparedness is exaggerated. Maybe if I'd live in the US I'd do the same thing, but just thinking about what I know over here it just seems ridiculous to drive around with a pistol on your lap or in the cup holder.
My comment on the safety of pistols is based on experiences in the military, mostly with Glocks, which are, IMHO, accidents waiting to happen.
You are right with the everyone thinks they're an expert thing. Nobody is going to chime in with "well I have no real experiance with firearms and I'm a danger to myself and others, but"....

I think we may have to agree to disagree. I'd want to be on an equal footing with the majority, and in America that means having a firearm. Here it means having a knife. If you've been outnumbered in a confrontation you may find yourself wishing for something other than your fists.

Last edited by jord (2010-09-30 08:45:15)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Pistols in general.  No matter how careful or experienced you are, it too easy to shoot yourself with and for kids to wield.  Which is why I will never own one.  Rifles are far more safer to handle and inventory.

Jord, which is why you learn martial arts and/or street fighting techniques.  Arnis and eskrima in my case, with a bit of Shotokan.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
I really hope your impression of this country doesnt come from your time posting on bf2s jordy.  it sounds like it does.
Tu Stultus Es
13rin
+977|6449
Have and not need, rather than need and not have. 
Pistols aren't dangerous, the dumb ass using it is.
Cup holder is on the right side, I'm right handed.  A gun does you fuck all good if you can't easily access it.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
jord

eleven bravo wrote:

I really hope your impression of this country doesnt come from your time posting on bf2s jordy.  it sounds like it does.
Mostly comes from sit coms and hollywood, with a little forum thrown in.

Oh and I was over in Florida a few years ago.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
not a lot of people are armed jordan
Tu Stultus Es
jord

Ilocano wrote:

Pistols in general.  No matter how careful or experienced you are, it too easy to shoot yourself with and for kids to wield.  Which is why I will never own one.  Rifles are far more safer to handle and inventory.

Jord, which is why you learn martial arts and/or street fighting techniques.  Arnis and eskrima in my case, with a bit of Shotokan.
Someone comes with a pistol then even if you're a 250 pound gracie jui jitzu, 5th dan, blackbelt street fighting king it won't help.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
bullets are faster and stronger than fists and feet

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-09-30 08:59:26)

Tu Stultus Es
jord

eleven bravo wrote:

No I know that, what I'm saying is people who are going to commit aggravated crimes like GTA are most likely going to be armed. Or is that wrong?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
from my own personal experience i would have to say that is an incorrect assumption
Tu Stultus Es
jord
Well then your broskis ain't none too clever fellers.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
no. they aint. neither are the other millions of violent criminals that committed a crime, with or without a firearm.
Tu Stultus Es
13rin
+977|6449

eleven bravo wrote:

from my own personal experience i would have to say that is an incorrect assumption
Actually many criminals are aware of the 10-20-life mandatory law (in FL) and the smarter ones will not use a gun.  Yea!
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
jord

eleven bravo wrote:

no. they aint. neither are the other millions of violent criminals that committed a crime, with or without a firearm.
Maybe.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

you gave the cashier a fist bump after the remark? LOLOL
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6679|Charlie One Alpha

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Cup holder is on the right side, I'm right handed.  A gun does you fuck all good if you can't easily access it.
1) Have and not need, rather than...  this saying does not always apply, such as in instances where "having" an item has significant downsides. Aside from that, if you follow that logic you'd need to carry pretty much everything with you (fire extinguishers, first aid kits, surgical knife, kevlar vest, etc etc.)

2) Pistols are dangerous. One needs to be an expert to handle them safely, and even then, accidents can happen. If an object is dangerous in the hands of the average person, I call that object dangerous. I do not trust the average person to handle a pistol safely. A rifle is, while much deadlier, also a lot less dangerous.

3) So you drive around with your first aid kit sitting open on the dash and your fire extinguisher between your legs?
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
being armed saved me from getting jumped by 6 mexicans one time
Tu Stultus Es
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

I don't understand why anyone without arms would want to pick a fight with someone who did have arms. I mean, how could they steal your shit if they couldn't even carry it? And if you trip them, they're done for!
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom

mtb0minime wrote:

I don't understand why anyone without arms would want to pick a fight with someone who did have arms. I mean, how could they steal your shit if they couldn't even carry it? And if you trip them, they're done for!
because usually their knee grows
Tu Stultus Es
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation

mtb0minime wrote:

No, you're not getting this. We're not talking about having arms, we're talking about the right to bear arms:

https://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii69/MrR2009/bear-arms.jpg
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6547|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

LaidBackNinja wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

1) Have and not need, rather than...  this saying does not always apply, such as in instances where "having" an item has significant downsides. Aside from that, if you follow that logic you'd need to carry pretty much everything with you (fire extinguishers, first aid kits, surgical knife, kevlar vest, etc etc.)

2) Pistols are dangerous. One needs to be an expert to handle them safely, and even then, accidents can happen. If an object is dangerous in the hands of the average person, I call that object dangerous. I do not trust the average person to handle a pistol safely. A rifle is, while much deadlier, also a lot less dangerous.

3) So you drive around with your first aid kit sitting open on the dash and your fire extinguisher between your legs?
I drive with a Extinguisher and a First aid kit in my trunk...some other goodies also! Canada wont allow me to have a firearm....legally
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

Roger Lesboules wrote:

I drive with a Extinguisher and a First aid kit in my trunk...some other goodies also! Canada wont allow me to have a firearm....legally
when firearms are illegal, only criminals will have them.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6359

LaidBackNinja wrote:

1) Why wouldn't you drive off? What could you possibly gain by confronting the punk trying to steal your car? Do you intend to counter-rob him? Or make a citizen's arrest, perhaps? He'd just run away.
Driving off may not be an option. Your vehicle may be blocked. Red light, drive-thru, pedestrians in front of your vehicle, your attackers car has blocked you in, you may feel your attacker will fire when you attempt to flee. There are many situations in which simply driving off is not an option.

eleven bravo wrote:

Of course that depends on the area and local laws, but overall the percentage is low. I have been surprised a few times by who carries and who doesn't.

As of September 26, 2010 Arizona Department of Public Safety has 160,259 active concealed weapon permits on file. Arizona law recently changed allowing concealed carry without a permit.

2009 Census Estimates Arizona's population at 6,595,778. With these numbers that means about 2.4% of people in Arizona have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. How many actually carry daily is impossible to know. There is also no way to figure in people who carry without a permit or carry openly. I think on the high side 5% of Arizona's population regularly carries a gun outside of their home. It's probably in the 2-4% range though.
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6547|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

burnzz wrote:

Roger Lesboules wrote:

when firearms are illegal, only criminals will have them.
Yeah...should buy bow and arrow, now that would be legal and badass...not efficient but badass
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
The concept of open carry fascinates me.. do people actually walk around with guns swinging on their hips?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard