Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

So since people find gold shiny and attractive, that means gold is not a good form of currency? :\
Well, diamonds could work under those criteria as well. 
Diamonds are much less rare. Their price is just artificially inflated by DeBeers warehousing millions of them
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SenorToenails wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

They don't. They just subtly suggest that you bend any truth that may prohibit you from signing up, which also includes prior medical concerns. I'm not sure if this is a universal practice, or just a common one.
I have heard that, but it hasn't been the case with me.
My recruiter didn't tell me that, friggin MEPS did. MEPS is supposed to screen out medical conditions and other crap and the people there flatly told us to lie.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

So since people find gold shiny and attractive, that means gold is not a good form of currency? :\
Diamonds are much less rare. Their price is just artificially inflated by DeBeers warehousing millions of them
I can't wait until we start making more industrial diamonds.  They're actually pretty useful.

I almost wonder if you could create a diamond tank and if it would actually be feasible....
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I can't wait until we start making more industrial diamonds.  They're actually pretty useful.

I almost wonder if you could create a diamond tank and if it would actually be feasible....
I was actually pondering diamond bullets yesterday. Stupid Minecraft
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lol...   It would definitely be hard to design a vest that could deal with the impact of one of those.

Of course, it makes me wonder what kind of barrel you'd have to use for that to work.  I guess a diamond one of those too....
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lol...   It would definitely be hard to design a vest that could deal with the impact of one of those.

Of course, it makes me wonder what kind of barrel you'd have to use for that to work.  I guess a diamond one of those too....
Diamond would shatter. It may be the hardest substance on earth but the matrices are brittle. It's why jewelers can shape it with metal tools.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Diamond would shatter. It may be the hardest substance on earth but the matrices are brittle. It's why jewelers can shape it with metal tools.
No diamond tank either then, I guess...  lol
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

No diamond tank either then, I guess...  lol
Wouldn't be very camouflaged
-Frederick Bastiat
Phrozenbot
+632|6586|do not disturb

Macbeth wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

What DSL said Phroz. You said " intrinsic value", the market doesn't decide ' intrinsic value'.

I'm not debating the merits of using it as currency, I'm just nitpicking about word choice.
The word choice is completely correct. If you went to a coin shop to buy a 1 ounce Canadian maple leaf, you would be paying $1,300 for the gold itself, the "intrinsic" value, plus a premium that it is a bullion coin and for the dealer to make a profit from the sale.

Like JG said, most of the value is due to rarity. If gold were as common as lead, it wouldn't be worth nearly as much.
I'm thinking of 'intrinsic value' in a philosophical sense not financial. So we're not even arguing the same thing. My point is: if people didn't value it because it's shiny, it would otherwise be fairly worthless.

Again, we're arguing two different things. In terms of finance rarity does determine worth to a point. Rarity doesn't determine philosophical value.

So yeah we're on two different pages.
I wasn't arguing the philosophical value. My point was that a gold coin minted as legal tender isn't just valued at what the government says it is, the raw material it is made of is valuable as well, irregardless of how you feel as to why it is valuable or whether the reasons for it being valuable matter in some philosophical sense. Our currency is made out of cotton, how much is the physical value of a bill? If it is less than the value they deem it, between 1 to 100 dollars, they have free reign to make as much as they want.

But +1 DSL
Phrozenbot
+632|6586|do not disturb

So then, was your philosophical argument of value based more on necessity? Water > gold, especially in the desert?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Phrozenbot wrote:

So then, was your philosophical argument of value based more on necessity? Water > gold, especially in the desert?
Yes it was.
-Frederick Bastiat
Phrozenbot
+632|6586|do not disturb

JohnG@lt wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

Yes it was.
Okay but that wasn't I was even arguing...
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Phrozenbot wrote:

Ugh.

I never heard of 'Intrinsic value' used in that sense, I knew of the idea as 'fundamental value'. And yes water value is much more than a bar of gold with or without the desert.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Intrinsic value in the philosophical sense is different from economic definition. My brain saw intrinsic and went into philosophy mode while the discussion was on economics. Unintentional derail.

Sorry. ;;

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard